[ROOT] P6210 ICS + Firmware + Recovery

Search This thread

StrumerJohn

Jul 5, 2011
Glendale, AZ
plus.google.com
OK. Thanks.
One more question. Is there a version of the latest CWM which I can flash with the older version (like a kind of upgrade) or I have to flash the CWM 6.x.x.x with Odin or Heimdall?
Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, you cannot flash another recovery via the recovery. You can only ODIN, Heimdall, or Adb push it on the device.

You won't lose any data with ODIN.

Reactions: air001

air001

Jun 5, 2012
As far as I know, you cannot flash another recovery via the recovery. You can only ODIN, Heimdall, or Adb push it on the device.

You won't lose any data with ODIN.

OK, Thank you very much.
I am not worrying about my datas, because there is not any important datas on my device. I just only use to browsing the net.

sockaplaya22

Mar 7, 2009
flash issues

Adobe flash seems to be clunky in ICS on the p6210 for me . Some videos will load up but when i click the maximize button it goes black and freezes the browser ( dolphin). ... i did not have this problem in honeycomb. help? or is this just a ics thing

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
Excellent, thank you!

Installing ICS for the first time on my GT7+. Installation process was straight forward and smooth. Great improvement over the original HC - the tab is no longer sluggish and has no more hickups. So far so good!

Can someone confirm that nandroid backups saved with CWM version 5 (5.0.2.7 from garyd9's original CWM for HC) can be restored with the new CWM version 6 or not?

If the v.6 CWM is not backward compatible with nandroid backups of older v.5, do you think it is possible to flash the temporary CWM (which is used to gain root in the original process) which is version 5.8, and use this to retore the CWM version 5 nandroid backup?

The question is: can you only flash the temporary CWM with stock recovery, or this would also work in CWM v.6?

Thanks.

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
Adobe flash seems to be clunky in ICS on the p6210 for me . Some videos will load up but when i click the maximize button it goes black and freezes the browser ( dolphin). ... i did not have this problem in honeycomb. help? or is this just a ics thing

Youtube plays fine for me in Dolphin HD at 1080p at full screen. No stutter or freeze. Vimeo HD does not play smoothly at full screen, even when I switch off HD. My Kindle Fire can handle both Youtube and Vimeo HD without any problem.

Another thing I notice - when I use the web browser (stock or Dolphin), zoom in the page, then drag to move around different parts of the page, at first everything go smoothly. After a while, it seems to become resistant to dragging particularly horizontally and diagonally, as if the tab is registering these movements sluggishly. A lot of times you have to stop the kinetic scrolling, wait a little, before drag to move works properly again. Interestingly, pinch-zoom it a little again makes drag moving around the page smooth again, but only for a short time.

I wonder if there is problem with rendering of the webpages?

BTW it is not a problem with touchscreen sensitivity. I use touchscreen tune to maximize sensitivity and this does not correct the problem.

P.S. Opera mobile has none of this sluggish drag to move problem. It must be a fault with the Android 4.0.4 browser (Dolphin uses the stock browser core).

Last edited:

slim_thumb

Mar 19, 2011
I can confirm that the web browser Flash player performance in this ICS firmware is not as good as the HC (or GB in other tablets).

I also answered my previous questions - I installed permanent CWM which is v.6. It is not backward compatible with the nandroid backup from CWM v.5. You also cannot flash the temporary CWM (which is v.5) with the permanent CWM.

sabesh

Dec 15, 2004
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
I've also noticed that other wifi networks in the area disappear from the list when my tab disconnects. I have to believe that its the radio on the tablet and not my router or wifi configuration.

Has anyone extracted just the wifi radio from the North American firmware of the P6210? I'd like to try flashing that onto the ICS.

I have the same issue. I tried changing the router channel to 6 as suggested, but still have constant disconnects. Is there a solution for this? Thx.

rtfm1777

Apr 22, 2011
Official US-6210 ICS Upgrade

I just did the official US ICS upgrade for my 6210. Any reason why a can't use your root and CWM install method on this package?

kwoodall

Mar 23, 2007
I've been running this ROM without any problems for weeks now - and today I find I cannot bring up the Play store anymore. I get "No Connection" no matter how many times I hit Retry.

I've cleared my WiFi and reconnected. No luck.

I Force Stopped the store app, cleared data and cache. No luck.

I turned of Ad Away ad blocking and reverted to standard hosts file. No luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kermit Woodall

StrumerJohn

Jul 5, 2011
Glendale, AZ
plus.google.com
I've been running this ROM without any problems for weeks now - and today I find I cannot bring up the Play store anymore. I get "No Connection" no matter how many times I hit Retry.

I've cleared my WiFi and reconnected. No luck.

I Force Stopped the store app, cleared data and cache. No luck.

I turned of Ad Away ad blocking and reverted to standard hosts file. No luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kermit Woodall

Can't say for sure. Could be to a variety of different reasons. Give me a log cat. Please keep it skim and only give what I need. I don't need your Facebook processes or anything else in that matter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

anang1979

Jul 11, 2012
batavia
try rooting my tab plus P6200 with 4.0.4 official firmware, it works!!! thank you

ps: i use temporary CWM method, works like charm:good:

kwoodall

Mar 23, 2007
I ended up going into recovery and deleting cache/data and everything works again.

Kermit Woodall

sanvara

Jul 24, 2008
I updated to stock ICS and when I try and apply root.zip I get signature verification failed. Did the update kill the ability to root with this file?

kevalin

Oct 25, 2010
NONE of the files I've downloaded from the OP will extract, though I'm using 7zip. Doesn't matter what computer I use (I have both XP and Windows 7), I keep getting an error when I try to open these files. Never had this problem before. I have a version of Stock Honeycomb (from bdigitalstudio's thread, if I recall) but obviously, not ICS.

Any suggestions would be great, since I've already stripped my Tab naked.

bossie1975

Oct 31, 2008
Spijkenisse
Thank you in advance for this clear guide!. Was struggling to flash CM10, but through your guide I now know I did things in the wrong order :eek:

Will try and flash stock ICS asap, but I have no doubt everything wil work as described!

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

NONE of the files I've downloaded from the OP will extract, though I'm using 7zip. Doesn't matter what computer I use (I have both XP and Windows 7), I keep getting an error when I try to open these files. Never had this problem before. I have a version of Stock Honeycomb (from bdigitalstudio's thread, if I recall) but obviously, not ICS.

Any suggestions would be great, since I've already stripped my Tab naked.

Not sure what you mean with your post, but from what I read that you are trying to extract the files on your PC??? DONT! EVER!
Please read the guide step-by-step the zip file you download you need to either load the zip file in Odin or flash the zip file through recovery....

kevalin

Oct 25, 2010
Thank you in advance for this clear guide!. Was struggling to flash CM10, but through your guide I now know I did things in the wrong order :eek:

Will try and flash stock ICS asap, but I have no doubt everything wil work as described!

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Not sure what you mean with your post, but from what I read that you are trying to extract the files on your PC??? DONT! EVER!
Please read the guide step-by-step the zip file you download you need to either load the zip file in Odin or flash the zip file through recovery....

No, no... the files wouldn't extract while in recovery on the Tab. The problem was solved when I used a different mirror.

Today, however, I ran into a new issue: my Tab has suddenly shut down twice without warning. It shut down sometime this evening, not sure when, then again about a half-hour ago. I had to do the 10-second power button hold to get it to do anything the first time,. The second time, it shut down and went straight to showing the battery charging. Thing is, the battery was nowhere near empty when it shut down the first time, so there was no reason I can see for it to do so.

Since I never had this problem before this upgrade, I'm suddenly feeling a bit leery. I.haven't done anything fancy with the Tab, just updated.and rooted.

Any idea what might have triggered this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Galaxy HD Presents...
    Root for the GT-P6210 ICS Firmware
    Please proceed with caution!!! Although it is an extemely rare issue, some users have lost access to their data partitions on their devices upon flashing the ICS firmware. Please make sure that you backup your data partition and make sure that you read the guide below very carefully.

-Table of Contents-
    ---1---About this post
    ---2---Disclaimer
    ---3---Requirements
    ---4---Downloads
    ---5---Guide to flashing the ICS Firmware
    ---6---Guide to rooting the ICS Firmware
    ---7---Guide to flashing CWM Recovery (Perm)
    ---8---Goodies Coming soon
    ---9---Credits
    -1-About this post-
    This thread post is an overall tutorial post on how to update your GT-P6210's firmware to the latest version, Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS). This post is only for the WiFi edition of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210), if you have a different Galaxy Tab, I suggest you NOT follow any of the details explained in this OP. If you happen to find another method of rooting and obtaining ICS with a recovery on your device-- congratulations! :D. While that is cool, this guide still proves to be the most sufficient, stable, and overall safest way to flash the upgrade without any bad effects.

-2-Disclaimer-
    Team Galaxy HD is NOT responsible for any damages caused to your device. You are the one chosing to use our method / follow this guide. By using the methods lsited below YOU are responsible for anything that may or may not happen to your tablet. We DO NOT provide support for users who do not agree to these terms. If you break your device by misreading or following the guide wrong, it is your fault. If you blame us, we will just laugh at you. Make sure all of your equipment is fully charged that you will be using during this tutorial. We are not responsible if your laptop dies pushing over the ODIN update or if your tablet bricks from dying due to low battery as well. DO NOT expect any support from us over this topic after it has been proven to work 100%. You are responsible for finding the answers to your own problems. Post in the Q/A-General Forum and ask others for help.
    Once again, you are responsible for ALL damages.

-3-Requirements-
    Feel free to make imaginary checkboxes on the following list of requirements below. Please make sure you have everything on this list available before starting. * Downloadable utilities, software, and files are available in the next section*

[ ] A Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210) WiFi Edition that is ROOTED with CWM installed.
    [ ] A proprietary Samsung Tablet USB Cable
    [ ] A Samsung Tablet USB AC Wall Adapter
    [ ] A Windows PC (Or an alternative OS that can run Odin3-v1.85 and Heimdall 1.3.1)
    [ ] A 100%, Fully Charged Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus WiFi Tablet
    [ ] Flash Utility Odin3-v1.85) or Flash Utility Heimdall 1.3.1
    [ ] A MicroSD Card
    [ ] The Drivers for your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus WiFi *All of the drivers*
    [ ] The Stock Honeycomb (HC) Firmware for your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus WiFi
    [ ] A Nandroid backup of your current ROM and System on your Computer (Move off of your device and put it on your desktop or somewhere safe)
    [ ] The Stock ICS Firmware for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus WiFi
    [ ] The temporary CWM Recovery for ICS
    [ ] The Root package for ICS
    [ ] One of the permanent CWM Recovery packages for ICS (Either the Odin or Heimdall one)
    [ ] The basic knowledge and skills to follow a guide

-4-Downloads-

-5-Guide to flashing the ICS Firmware-
    Okay guys here we go! This is the best OTA this tablet has gotten so lets get to work on getting it on your device!

*Before we begin, please make sure you have ALL of the requirements needed on topic no. 3.*

1. Turn your tablet off. *Hold down the Sleep/Wake/Power key, then tap "Power Off."
    2. Go to the recovery. *Hold down the Sleep/Wake/Power key for about 5 seconds along with the Volume Up key. Once the device powers on, release the Power key, but continue to hold down the Volume Up key until you get in to CWM Recovery.*
    3. Wipe your data/facility reset the device.
    4. Go under Advanced and delete your davlik cache
    5. Go under mounts and storage and format the system
    6. Shut down the device.
    7. Go into Download Mode / ODIN mode by holding down Power and Volume Down for about 5-10 seconds until you get to a screen with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark through the middle, then push the Volume Up key.
    8. Connect the USB cable to your PC and then to your device.
    9. Open the Odin.exe program.
    10. Make sure Odin sees your device under ID:COM. It should have numbers inside if it does see it, if not re-install the drivers for your tab.
    11. If not already, extract the stock Honeycomb Firmware to your desktop.
    12. On Odin, click on "PDA" and then browse to where you extracted the Honeycomb Firmware.
    13. Click "Start" and let Odin flash the stock Honeycomb Firmware back on your device. Once it's done your tab should reboot.
    14. Once the tablet gets to the setup screen, turn your tablet off once more.
    15. Go back into Download Mode / ODIN mode. Connect the USB cable to your PC and your Tablet once again if you unplugged it.
    16. Extract the ICS Firmware to your desktop, make sure to not get it confused with the Honeycomb Firmware.
    17. On Odin, click on "PDA" again, but this time browse to select the ICS Firmware.
    18. Click "Start" and let Odin flash the new ICS Firmware on your device.

-6-Guide to rooting the ICS Firmware-
    Okay well now that we have the best Firmware installed, how about we make it even better and root it! Once it's rooted we'll be able to install Elements HD, and many other ROMs and MODs.

1. Place the Root.zip and CWM.zip on your EXTERNAL MicroSD Card.
    2. Reboot to the recovery Hold down the Sleep/Wake/Power key for about 5 seconds along with the Volume Up key. Once the device powers on, release the Power key, but continue to hold down the Volume Up key until you get in to CWM Recovery.*
    3. Choose apply update from external storage.
    4. Choose CWM.zip and wait until CWM recovery appear.
    5. Once the cwm recovery appear: Touch the screen to choose and navigate the options. You'll need to slide your finger up and down to scroll in some menus.
    6. Choose install zip from sdcard.
    7. Choose root.zip and "Yes - Install root.zip."
    8. Reboot.

Now you're rooted! Next we just need to get you a Recovery!

-7-Guide to flashing CWM Recovery (Perm. w/ ODIN)-

This recovery was not at all created or ported by Team Galaxy HD. All credit goes to Vivified for the port and post in this thread here.
    ***Make sure that you ONLY use the Odin .tar.md5 package found above in the downloads section (hosted on mediafire).***

1. Turn your tablet off. *Hold down the Sleep/Wake/Power key, then tap "Power Off."
    2. Go into Download Mode / ODIN mode by holding down Power and Volume Down for about 5-10 seconds until you get to a screen with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark through the middle, then push the Volume Up key.
    3. Connect the USB cable to your PC and then to your device.
    4. Open the Odin.exe program.
    5. Make sure Odin sees your device under ID:COM. It should have numbers inside if it does see it, if not re-install the drivers for your tab.
    6. On Odin, click on "PDA" and then browse to where you downloaded the recovery.tar.md5
    7. Click "Start" and let Odin flash the stock recovery back on to your device.

-7-Guide to flashing CWM Recovery (Perm. w/ Heimdall)-

This recovery was not at all created or ported by Team Galaxy HD. All credit goes to aorth for the port and post over here. (If you don't want this referenced here, let me know aorth ^_^; I'll take it out immediately if so.)
    Intro

garyd9 originally ported ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.0.x to the Tab 7 Plus (all variants) in late 2011. Gary's since moved on to bigger and better things, and so has ClockworkMod Recovery. As of ClockworkMod Recovery version 6.0.0.x backups and restores should be faster, take up less space (due to file-level deduplication), and there's a swanky new look (though a bit iOS-y).

wtf is "recovery" anyways?
    Recovery mode is a minimal, alternative mode of booting which allows you to install software from zip files, backup/restore your device, and perform low-level operations like factory reset and formatting partitions. All Android devices have a recovery mode (it's part of the stock AOSP environment), but the default recovery mode is very limited. For example, it only allows you to flash zips which have been signed by the vendor's private key.

ClockworkMod Recovery was developed by Koushik Dutta (@koush), and is much more flexible... If you want to flash CyanogenMod, you MUST have a non-stock recovery. Right now that means ClockworkMod Recovery.

Download

-To avoid confusion I removed this excerpt from the quote.-

P6210/P6211/P6210L
    Heimdall-flashable image (6.0.1.0): Mediafire (md5: e71feb63ee44a7e809b6c2e7ae6d6e7d)

Flashing with Heimdall
    I recommend flashing with Heimdall; it's open source and cross platform, whereas Odin is a leaked internal tool from Samsung, and only works on Windows. I absolutely cannot give guidance on using Odin. As of this time I recommend using Heimdall 1.3.1 (1.3.2 has a known bug which prevents flashing some files from completing successfully).

You can use the GUI (heimdall-frontend), or flash from the command line. In Linux it's easy:
    1. Unplug your tablet from USB
    2. Turn your tablet off
    3. Hold Volume Down and press the power button, keep holding Volume Down for 5 seconds
    4. Plug your tablet back into the computer
    5. Type:
      Code:
      sudo heimdall flash --recovery p6200-clockworkmod-6.0.0.8.img

After that you should now have ClockworkMod Recovery installed.

Booting into CWM
    There are a few ways to get into ClockworkMod Recovery:

• Using adb, type: adb reboot recovery
    • From CyanogenMod's power menu: hold down the Power button for a few seconds, then navigate to Reboot -> Recovery.
    • With the tablet off, hold Volume Up and press power, keep holding Volume Up for 5 seconds

Disclaimer
    I've tested backing up and restoring to CM9 and stock a few times, and it seems to work well. But please back up your stuff with other applications, like Go Backup or Titanium Backup just in case something goes wrong with restoring.

-8-Goodies Coming soon-
    We're also workin' on some nice goodies / addons for this rooted firmware!

Here's what's expected to come up some time soon:
    + Flashable Stock Rooted ICS ROM
    + Full Working ICS Touch Screen CWM (Perm)
    + Guide support for other devices

-9-Credits-
    - Written by Team Galaxy HD -
    - StrumerJohn
    - Ace9876
    - noahk11
    - aorth
    - Vivified
    Here's an Odin/Mobile Odin flashable recovery.img to get permanent CWM back after installing stock ICS

Download: mediafire // md5: 79729ED6B91A7112DE93A8C49D5C870D

Flashable with Mobile Odin/Light, as well as Odin(put it in PDA slot).
    FAQs

Q: Which recovery package / method is best to use?
    A: For less experienced modders, it is suggested to use the ODIN package.
    Q: My device froze or is stuck at the Samsung Splash logo after I tried to flash the ICS package! Help!
    A: Place the device into ODIN mode and reflash Honeycomb and then wipe your data and cahce in the recovery and then try reflashing ICS.