QNX on Kindle Fire

Search This thread

melmantheman

Jan 13, 2012
Milford
I want to start porting QNX for the kindle. I love the swiping gestures like webOS.

I have the build of qnx for the TI OMAP 4430 (which the kindle has) and i have the 6.3 update zip from Amazon. Im not really sure exactly what im doing so if i could get help. I believe this is very possible.

Lets Do It!:cool:

SCrid2000

Jun 13, 2011
Puyallup, WA
LOL!
I'm posting this from my PlayBook ;)
If you want TabletOS, you should just buy a Playbook; at the same price as the KFire, and you can buy my Tablet TV app :D

I don't think you could get QNX onto the Fire. RIM has the PlayBook pretty well locked down.

PS - QNX isn't technically the same thing as TabletOS. TabletOS is QNX, but not all QNX systems are RIM tablets.

wontoniii

Sep 1, 2010
Highland Park
Technically you could port qnx to the fire, but only if you were a rim engineer... qnx is closed source and without them I see the port a mission impossible....

pmdisawesome

Jan 23, 2012
What do you mean by you have the "build" of QNX? Because QNX is closed-source I am trying to figure out what you meant by the "build", if you have the source and it's possible, if all you have is the device that runs QNX, not possible!

tipzilla

Jan 29, 2012
Parma
QNX Wiki

What do you mean by you have the "build" of QNX? Because QNX is closed-source I am trying to figure out what you meant by the "build", if you have the source and it's possible, if all you have is the device that runs QNX, not possible!

I just took a quick look online and it appears that QNX is/was open source. It was a Canadian company that was bought out by RIM. But, when RIM bought them they removed most of the code from the open source world, however there is still an online community that has some builds, including one for the TI 4430 chip. Checkout QNX Wiki. It seems like this could be entirely possible. I'm no developer, but hopefully this is a step in the direction you are thinking. Thanks for innovating.

pmdisawesome

Jan 23, 2012
I don't know much about this QNX but as for the CM7/CM9 Rom that we are having, JackPot did a binary port, meaning that the only way to get a rom is to port it from a similar device, which is why we still don't have HoneyComb running on our Kindle Fire. But I'm not entirely sure until I see the "build" that we are having! But even if that is possible we're gonna' need an expert on this, which is in someway impossible since all the great devs are focusing on Kernel 3.0 and make ICS flawless!

sthomas38

Feb 9, 2012
But you could try porting WebOS because now it's open-source :).

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9000 avec Tapatalk

melmantheman

Jan 13, 2012
Milford
Well i have the zip file with qnx's BSP for kindle Fire's TI OMAP 4430. And yes your right all the good devs are working on ICS. In the future maybe. And WebOS source I know is available but i think im gonna leave the dev work to the pros. Im not even out of high school so i dont know much but am willing to learn and am very interested in supporting all the devs that work hard to enhance our products.

pmdisawesome

Jan 23, 2012
Well i have the zip file with qnx's BSP for kindle Fire's TI OMAP 4430. And yes your right all the good devs are working on ICS. In the future maybe. And WebOS source I know is available but i think im gonna leave the dev work to the pros. Im not even out of high school so i dont know much but am willing to learn and am very interested in supporting all the devs that work hard to enhance our products.

No offense so don't get me wrong but why would you want QNX on Kindle Fire, we have CM7,CM9 and AOKP, what does QNX have that is better than Android?