[Q] Front facing camera

Search This thread

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
So I finally got the phone and it is beautiful. Though when I use snapchat I mostly use my front facing camera, and it is really not that good. Is this bothering anyone else, or is it my phone? There is a lot of distortion/noise on the picture and even my S3 front facing is better. The main camera is really great though.

pauliebb

Aug 30, 2009
So I finally got the phone and it is beautiful. Though when I use snapchat I mostly use my front facing camera, and it is really not that good. Is this bothering anyone else, or is it my phone? There is a lot of distortion/noise on the picture and even my S3 front facing is better. The main camera is really great though.

I can confirm that on snapchat the front camera quality goes right down.

Seems better in the camera app, could be snapchat issue?

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
I can confirm that on snapchat the front camera quality goes right down.

Seems better in the camera app, could be snapchat issue?

Yeah I tried the camera app, and while taking the picture it is exactly like on snapchat, but when you look at it after the shot is taken most of the noise is gone. Still on snapchat the noise is still there. It is a lot better in light, but terrible in medium light.

iRED7i

May 7, 2014
Braintree
Yeah I tried the camera app, and while taking the picture it is exactly like on snapchat, but when you look at it after the shot is taken most of the noise is gone. Still on snapchat the noise is still there. It is a lot better in light, but terrible in medium light.

Yeah same here. Have actually been searching around the internet these last couple of days to see if anybody else has the same issue.

Front camera is fine in the day, but when inside, even with artificial lighting (nothing major like florescent lights) it goes grainy, like blue and red pixels flying about the screen.

And yes, the picture does improve when the picture processing takes place on the camera app and on Instagram.

But unfortunately, this picture processing does not happen on Shapchat so you get very bad shots in the dark.

It's not a huge issue for me as in most cases, say good to above advantage lighting conditions. the front camera is good enough for small things like Snapchat. But when things do get dark, the image processing can improve things when taken on the camera app.

Oh and the rear camera? Well, no complaints there :good:;)

I will post some shots later when it gets a bit dark here and see if you can compare

Cheers

Adam

strongylad28

Jun 10, 2012
Same here! Its annoying that in anything but perfect natural light is goes rubbish.

I found the new "video chat" type function is pretty poor on forward facing camera too. Slightly better on skype, but still not fantastic. The people I am speaking to on iPhones, it is crystal clear, but on my side its pretty awful. Have you noticed the audio when recording a snap video is pretty poor too? This could be where I am holding it, as my fingers tend to be at the bottom of the phone, so maybe I am blocking a mic?