Bionic screen repair

Search This thread

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
Ok, had a great Thanksgiving until I dropped my Bionic on concrete outside. I guess it landed on the top corner where the power button is, the glass is smashed there and partially missing with major cracks going downwards over half the screen. Miraculously, the LCD display itself is undamaged, only the outer glass. Also the digitizer is still functional. I researched the parts and found that the digitizer and outer glass are one piece on top of the LCD. I couldn't locate any teardown video showing how to take these things apart properly but I did find photos and a new digitizer/glass assembly on E-bay for only $35 bucks. I had sucessfully replaced one of these on a motorola Cliq and figured the Bionic should be easier since it lacks the sliding keyboard. I took a T5 driver and seperation tool and had it disassembeled in 5 minutes. I love how easy it is! I reassembled it until the new screen arrives, hopefully this week.

Since I couldn't find a video of the teardown (and assuming no one else has either) I would be willing to video the job when I replace the screen IF there is sufficient interest.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Ok, heres the video of the teardown and replacement I did. Enjoy!
Part 1 (Teardown): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqPLk2XNYxs
Part 2 (Re-assembly): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9CMXcVweRU

Last edited:

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
Ok, I will post a vid to YouTube when the digitizer arrives and post the link in this thread

pasp10

Nov 26, 2011
I cracked my bionic glass last weekend and just got my replacement screen.

I'm about ready to dig in to fix it, but in reading repair guides for other phones, it appears that the LCD could be glued to the glass. When you had yours open, did you see if the LCD is glued to the glass/digitizer assembly on the Bionic? I'm hesitant to open it up until I know since its still working with the cracks.

I paid $50 at Dealsishop and it came in 7 days.

Love to see your repair guide.

Reactions: mhrussell1

pasp10

Nov 26, 2011
Thanks - the iFixit teardown was very helpful.
I finished and it works!
My only question is that the glass was stuck to the frame with a thin double stick tape. I tried to re-use it, but there were multiple gasket type shapes that didn't keep their shapes. What do people use for this material?

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010

I'm about ready to dig in to fix it, but in reading repair guides for other phones, it appears that the LCD could be glued to the glass. When you had yours open, did you see if the LCD is glued to the glass/digitizer assembly on the Bionic? I'm hesitant to open it up until I know since its still working with the cracks.

I tore down the phone once, everything but taking the glass out of the frame. The LCD was NOT stuck to the glass/digitizer. The only adhesive material I encountered was the large sticker with the IMEI numbers and such in the battery compartment. That thing actually causes the back piece and underlying piece to stick together. Felt like I was going to bend the pieces when I tried separating them because of that sticker, so I just removed the sticker first and was a lot easier.

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
Thanks - the iFixit teardown was very helpful.
I finished and it works!
My only question is that the glass was stuck to the frame with a thin double stick tape. I tried to re-use it, but there were multiple gasket type shapes that didn't keep their shapes. What do people use for this material?

Well I only payed $35 for mine on E-Bay, they say it's OEM part and all, lets hope its the real deal. Also, atleast in the photo, it LOOKS like it includes the entire piece, the frame around the glass and all. Did you get something a little different? Could be the photo is misleading on the E-Bay item too...we will find out soon enough.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200671887593

Last edited:

pasp10

Nov 26, 2011
My glass/digitizer looks the same as the one on ebay. It does not come with the frame around the glass (the part that says Verizon on the bottom). The glass is held in the frame only with double stick tape around the perimeter - works really well because it was tough to get off without damaging the frame. I'm thinking I may need to buy some of that tape and re-do it if it gets loose. Also, there were little gasket-like things around the openings that I couldn't re-use.

iflysiu

Jun 11, 2010
questions...

My glass/digitizer looks the same as the one on ebay. It does not come with the frame around the glass (the part that says Verizon on the bottom). The glass is held in the frame only with double stick tape around the perimeter - works really well because it was tough to get off without damaging the frame. I'm thinking I may need to buy some of that tape and re-do it if it gets loose. Also, there were little gasket-like things around the openings that I couldn't re-use.

So I am about to order the screen and begin the replacement process. Do you think there is enough stick left in the tape to hold the screen to the frame for now? With it put back together, does it force the screen to but up against the frame without the tape doing anything? What does the gasket go around? Did you have to use any of the tools listed in the tear down (besides the t5 screwdriver)
Thanks for the help...

pasp10

Nov 26, 2011
So I am about to order the screen and begin the replacement process. Do you think there is enough stick left in the tape to hold the screen to the frame for now? With it put back together, does it force the screen to but up against the frame without the tape doing anything? What does the gasket go around? Did you have to use any of the tools listed in the tear down (besides the t5 screwdriver)
Thanks for the help...
The tape is holding for me so far, but I don't think it is right. It's not bulging or anything, but it seems loose in spots. There are holes for the speaker and camera. I'm guessing the gaskets are to keep dust/moisture out. I used the t5 and a couple of plastic tools to separate the parts. The other thing not mentioned in the teardown is that there is a large sticker just below the battery that keeps the back from coming out. I just pulled it back halfway and it releases. Then after everything is reassembled, the sticker can be put back like new.

Reactions: iflysiu

sammyguyana

Jul 9, 2011
it's funny,
because the SAME thing happened to me...i am looking fwd to your video/tips on the replacement.
I ordered the glass, and the repair kit online 60bucks total. (prices everywhere have gone up in past 24 -48 hours!)
weird.
The local shop says they can repair for 125 bucks. So hopefully i can do this.

KEEP US POSTED!!

Sam

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
Done!

Ok, the digitizer/glass arrived today and after a chill with some beers I decided to take a crack at the replacement job.. so please look over my clumsiness.

I experienced the same issues as PASP10 concerning the adhesive for the glass and the slight 'bulging' after the replacement. This is a result of the replacement not being bonded to the frame as well as the original. Everything else is perfect. I will probaly be looking for a kind of epoxy to line the frame with and re-do it later.

Right now, I'm working on converting the HD video of the rebuild I did and uploading to YouTube. Once finished, I will post the link in the 1st post of this thread. Thanks all!

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
it's funny,
because the SAME thing happened to me...i am looking fwd to your video/tips on the replacement.
I ordered the glass, and the repair kit online 60bucks total. (prices everywhere have gone up in past 24 -48 hours!)
weird.
The local shop says they can repair for 125 bucks. So hopefully i can do this.

KEEP US POSTED!!

Sam

These are still $35 bucks on e-Bay.. Did you not check there?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200671887593

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
Tear down videos have been posted in first message... loving my shiny new screen again :)

sammyguyana

Jul 9, 2011
thank you!

hey man, that video was great.
I just got my screen in the mail today. Looks good. I am still waiting for the screwdriver repair toolkit.
Can you do me a favor and send me the whole unedited video via pm or something? I could pm you my email addy, thank you!

Sam

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
I just got my screen in the mail today. Looks good. I am still waiting for the screwdriver repair toolkit.
Can you do me a favor and send me the whole unedited video via pm or something? I could pm you my email addy, thank you!

Sam

Thanks man. I took it back apart later .because I didn't like the "looseness" of the new glass, it was missing the adhesive of the original. I put a small bead of some Plumbers Goop adhesive/sealant around the edge of the frame under the glass since I already had a tube and it seems very close consistency to the original stuff. It worked great :)

As far as the original video, it was several gigabytes of HD video lol

Last edited:
Reactions: sammyguyana

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here you guys go. The glass is not fused to the lcd fyi. Not a video but looks easy enough.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Motorola-Droid-Bionic-Teardown/6449/1
    Ok, had a great Thanksgiving until I dropped my Bionic on concrete outside. I guess it landed on the top corner where the power button is, the glass is smashed there and partially missing with major cracks going downwards over half the screen. Miraculously, the LCD display itself is undamaged, only the outer glass. Also the digitizer is still functional. I researched the parts and found that the digitizer and outer glass are one piece on top of the LCD. I couldn't locate any teardown video showing how to take these things apart properly but I did find photos and a new digitizer/glass assembly on E-bay for only $35 bucks. I had sucessfully replaced one of these on a motorola Cliq and figured the Bionic should be easier since it lacks the sliding keyboard. I took a T5 driver and seperation tool and had it disassembeled in 5 minutes. I love how easy it is! I reassembled it until the new screen arrives, hopefully this week.

Since I couldn't find a video of the teardown (and assuming no one else has either) I would be willing to video the job when I replace the screen IF there is sufficient interest.

Ok, heres the video of the teardown and replacement I did. Enjoy!
    Part 1 (Teardown): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqPLk2XNYxs
    Part 2 (Re-assembly): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9CMXcVweRU

Thanks for the help...
    The tape is holding for me so far, but I don't think it is right. It's not bulging or anything, but it seems loose in spots. There are holes for the speaker and camera. I'm guessing the gaskets are to keep dust/moisture out. I used the t5 and a couple of plastic tools to separate the parts. The other thing not mentioned in the teardown is that there is a large sticker just below the battery that keeps the back from coming out. I just pulled it back halfway and it releases. Then after everything is reassembled, the sticker can be put back like new.

Sam

Thanks man. I took it back apart later .because I didn't like the "looseness" of the new glass, it was missing the adhesive of the original. I put a small bead of some Plumbers Goop adhesive/sealant around the edge of the frame under the glass since I already had a tube and it seems very close consistency to the original stuff. It worked great :)

As far as the original video, it was several gigabytes of HD video lol