[Project] Dual-Boot between NF SDcard and Stock No-Rooting

Search This thread

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Original Post:
japzone said:
What I want to do is Dual-Boot from the MicroSD card. Meaning the NC Boots to the MicroSD and from there it Decides to Boot to either Nookie Froyo or Un-Rooted Stock. Preferably, with Long Press Home Button to go to Stock and Default being Nookie Froyo. How should I go about this?

I haven't Rooted my Stock because for one B&N updates screw your Root. Another reason is so I can try out B&Ns Updates and see how they Improve their OS. Aswell as the Fact that if I screw over Nookie Froyo I'm not stuck with an inoperable NC for the Duration until I fix it. I can Simply ReFlash a Backup IMG of NF.

(Also there's always the Possibility that B&N will get Netflix, it's a Dream :D )

Thanks to the Great Half-Hour job by Rookie1 we have a working method.

Also you can try j4mm3r's Boot Menu or rookie1's Customizable u-boot
I will have a Complete All-In-One HowTo for all these methods soon so it's all in one place. Please Look Forward to it.

Not Compatible With Rooted Stock with Clockwork Recovery!
Some have reported they've gotten this to work with CWR but many have stated this doesn't work with it. If you have trouble restore your Backed up u-boot.

PreReqs:
  • Download this: View attachment u-boot.zip
  • Working Nookie Froyo or Honeycomb MicroSD card
  • Rooted Stock not Required
  • Will Work on Mac, Linux, and Windows

Directions:
  1. Unzip the Zip File
  2. Plug your NookieFroyo/Honey MicroSD into your Computer
  3. Rename "u-boot.bin" from SD card and Copy it to a Safe Location for Backup Purposes
  4. Copy the Unzipped "u-boot.bin" to your SD card
  5. Safely Eject the Card

You're Done. Now whenever you Turn you NC on you can do this:
-Power On Normally for Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb
-Power On and Hold Home Button for Stock
-Power On and Hold Vol+ and Vol- for Recovery

Rookie1's Original Post Post 9

Last edited:

pts69666

Nov 23, 2007
Couldn't you just install one of the ROM's to the SD card and take out the modded ROM SD card when you want to boot into stock?

kdb424

Dec 28, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yea, all you need to do is remove the card to boot into stack, or keep it in to boot to that ROM. I would however like to see something like this. I hate removing my card all of the time (yes I complain a lot haha), though I can tolerate. I mainly need a way to use an OS on the SD and still be able to use some of that space for the stock OS when I decide to boot that. Hopefully someone knows what I mean.

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
Total guess here, does this need a custom bootloader to choose the right set of boot partitions?

Homer

simon.ponder

May 12, 2010
Burlington
sdcard removal

Yea, all you need to do is remove the card to boot into stack, or keep it in to boot to that ROM. I would however like to see something like this. I hate removing my card all of the time (yes I complain a lot haha), though I can tolerate. I mainly need a way to use an OS on the SD and still be able to use some of that space for the stock OS when I decide to boot that. Hopefully someone knows what I mean.

I complain also about removing the sdcard as well, maybe it is where it is placed on the nook.

rookie1

Nov 12, 2007
This is about half-an-hour hack job and totally untested. Unfortunately I don't have a SD card handy to test. If you are brave enough, try to replace the u-boot.bin on your nookie froyo SD card using the attached file (remember to backup your original). Pressing Home ('n' button) while boot up should skip booting from SD.

ps the stock ROM will mount 1st partition on SD to /sdcard. If your SD card is nookie froyo, you don't have much space on your 1st partition.

pps This is modified base on my eMMC dualboot code. I've changed the recovery key combo to VolUp + VolDown. If you need to go to recovery and have this u-boot.bin on your SD card, remember the key combo change!

Attachments

• u-boot.zip
    94.9 KB · Views: 99

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
This is about half-an-hour hack job and totally untested. Unfortunately I don't have a SD card handy to test. If you are brave enough, try to replace the u-boot.bin on your nookie froyo SD card using the attached file (remember to backup your original). Pressing Home ('n' button) while boot up should skip booting from SD.

ps the stock ROM will mount 1st partition on SD to /sdcard. If your SD card is nookie froyo, you don't have much space on your 1st partition.

pps This is modified base on my eMMC dualboot code. I've changed the recovery key combo to VolUp + VolDown. If you need to go to recovery and have this u-boot.bin on your SD card, remember the key combo change!

Thx! I'll test it when I get done screwing around with Honeycomb :D

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010

I'm going to fire it down later today. Here is the fix in another thread to share the same partition on the SDCard. Requires root or some skills.

UPDATE: Backed up stock NF u-boot.img and replaced. As-is boot is to SDCard. Boot with home key ("n") pressed is to internal. Seems to work as advertised! Noted that you get the non-stock kernel boot image followed by the stock animation. Is that because it is doing a chroot in there? Is the kernel used the one on the SDCard? Excellent work BTW.

Homer

Last edited:

Mytos-xda

Jun 27, 2010

would this work with a honeycomb sd image?

soonereng

Jan 16, 2011

This is what I have been wanting for a couple weeks now. Thank you!

How hard would it be to reverse it so that it boots to SD when N is pushed and internal by default?

would this work with a honeycomb sd image?

Yes it does on mine.

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
I'm going to fire it down later today. Here is the fix in another thread to share the same partition on the SDCard. Requires root or some skills.

UPDATE: Backed up stock NF u-boot.img and replaced. As-is boot is to SDCard. Boot with home key ("n") pressed is to internal. Seems to work as advertised! Noted that you get the non-stock kernel boot image followed by the stock animation. Is that because it is doing a chroot in there? Is the kernel used the one on the SDCard? Excellent work BTW.

Homer

Trying with honeycomb l8r

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Ok this sounds like a Newb Question but I only got back into coding recently and I forget how to edit these BIN files. Any Help?

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
Loaded it on my honeycomb sd and nondual boot. Holding n brought up the factory reset option.

Sent from my honeycomb-powered Nookcolor.

soonereng

Jan 16, 2011
Loaded it on my honeycomb sd and nondual boot. Holding n brought up the factory reset option.

Sent from my honeycomb-powered Nookcolor.

I have it working on HC v02 and v03. And it works fine.

Sounds like you may not have overwitten the original u-boot.bin on the SD since it did the default action for "n"?

fwdixon

Oct 15, 2010
I have it working on HC v02 and v03. And it works fine.

Sounds like you may not have overwitten the original u-boot.bin on the SD since it did the default action for "n"?

no, actually I was holding both the power and n buttons. If i press-n-hold n and press-n-release power it works great.

Silly noob here is all :D

DrewLGT

Aug 15, 2010
when i press and hold n while its booting, i get the stock boot animation for just a second, then it goes to clockwork recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original Post:
    japzone said:
    What I want to do is Dual-Boot from the MicroSD card. Meaning the NC Boots to the MicroSD and from there it Decides to Boot to either Nookie Froyo or Un-Rooted Stock. Preferably, with Long Press Home Button to go to Stock and Default being Nookie Froyo. How should I go about this?

I haven't Rooted my Stock because for one B&N updates screw your Root. Another reason is so I can try out B&Ns Updates and see how they Improve their OS. Aswell as the Fact that if I screw over Nookie Froyo I'm not stuck with an inoperable NC for the Duration until I fix it. I can Simply ReFlash a Backup IMG of NF.

(Also there's always the Possibility that B&N will get Netflix, it's a Dream :D )

Thanks to the Great Half-Hour job by Rookie1 we have a working method.

Also you can try j4mm3r's Boot Menu or rookie1's Customizable u-boot
    I will have a Complete All-In-One HowTo for all these methods soon so it's all in one place. Please Look Forward to it.

Not Compatible With Rooted Stock with Clockwork Recovery!
    Some have reported they've gotten this to work with CWR but many have stated this doesn't work with it. If you have trouble restore your Backed up u-boot.

PreReqs:
    • Download this: View attachment u-boot.zip
    • Working Nookie Froyo or Honeycomb MicroSD card
    • Rooted Stock not Required
    • Will Work on Mac, Linux, and Windows

Directions:
    1. Unzip the Zip File
    2. Plug your NookieFroyo/Honey MicroSD into your Computer
    3. Rename "u-boot.bin" from SD card and Copy it to a Safe Location for Backup Purposes
    4. Copy the Unzipped "u-boot.bin" to your SD card
    5. Safely Eject the Card

You're Done. Now whenever you Turn you NC on you can do this:
    -Power On Normally for Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb
    -Power On and Hold Home Button for Stock
    -Power On and Hold Vol+ and Vol- for Recovery

Rookie1's Original Post Post 9