3G/HSPA Connectivity Issue

Search This thread

kenyw

Apr 28, 2010
Hi,

My One S seems to occasionally have a few connectivity issues with 3G, I am not sure they are related to the signal issues already discussed in other threads in this forum. I have an international handset, MAO black version (has two tiny chips too, but not worth complaining about), running stock firmware, haven't done the dev unlock yet.

1) Sometimes the phone shows 'No Service', but I still have a working data connection and can make calls. Sending/receiving SMS appears not to work for some reason though. Can work around by switching into and out of airplane mode. Until I do that any SMS I compose under these conditions just pends, after the workaround they do get sent after a few minutes.

2) Sometimes something seems to go wrong with the 3G data connection, all the internet apps suddenly say they have no connection, alogcat says that DNS lookup is repeatedly failing even though I have a strong signal and 3G/HSPA connection (also tried connecting to IP addresses directly, doesn't work either). Tried getting online via Wi-Fi and it works, but all the Internet connectivity fails if I turn Wi-Fi off. If I reboot the phone it is able to get online again.

I brought this problem up in a live chat with HTC customer support and they have advised me to arrange for them to collect the phone for repair, the shop from whom I bought the phone advised the same. Just thought I would share it here and find out if it is common, or it is likely, as HTC think, there's something wrong with my phone's antennae. (My thought is that both could also be software problems)

Anyone else experience problems like this?

Last edited:

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
I get the no service thing all the time, I pull it out of my pocket and press the power button, it says no service. I am going to call t-mobile in the next few days, I am trying to collect more data. It does it on my same spot on the couch where I used to get good coverage on my old phone. It does it on the same desk at work that I used to get good reception at. It kinda sucks.

Richy101

Aug 11, 2010
I get the no service thing all the time, I pull it out of my pocket and press the power button, it says no service. I am going to call t-mobile in the next few days, I am trying to collect more data. It does it on my same spot on the couch where I used to get good coverage on my old phone. It does it on the same desk at work that I used to get good reception at. It kinda sucks.

Yup, I get that and trying to get more data before sending it back to HTC. I'm not really certain but it's as if there is something wrong antennae? Seems to be quite a few with similar mobile network issues though.

I still have my old Motorola and with sim out of One S in the reception is good where the One S struggles to get a signal - if at all :mad:

jipi

Apr 25, 2006
I have the same issue as Kenyw:

No connection for a while although within covered area.
Strong connection bars but no internet

Usually I switch to airplane mode and back then it works...until the next time!

Very frustrating! I don't think changing the phone would solve the problem!

Xx_xBLADEx_xX

Sep 4, 2009
San Antonio
I have the same exact issue as the OP. Another example would be the streaming of music using Pandora and Slacker. I can listen to 1 song and skip 2 or 3 songs at best before I start having issues where it just keeps loading and I am in 4G range and 3G which shouldn't be a problem still.

Richy101

Aug 11, 2010
I have the same issue as Kenyw:

No connection for a while although within covered area.
Strong connection bars but no internet

Usually I switch to airplane mode and back then it works...until the next time!

Very frustrating! I don't think changing the phone would solve the problem!

I did exchange my One S for another and it is just the same :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a queer issue. I know where I live I have a good Three UK signal as per experience with the Motorola phone. I can be anywhere between 2 bars (approx 104dBm) and no signal in the house and around the yard. Yet I can walk 20 yards towards mast approx 1 mile away and as soon as I get LOS (no buildings, trees) on the mast I get full signal???

alondror

Aug 14, 2008
I buy my One-S a week ago in Germany and facing the same issue in Israel with Orange 3.5G network. I really don't know what to do now.

orenfl

Jan 9, 2011
I buy my One-S a week ago in Germany and facing the same issue in Israel with Orange 3.5G network. I really don't know what to do now.

Alon,

As mentioned in many different threads opened here in XDA, the issue is related to the phone and its current software version and not to the operator/SIM/area in the world.

Stay tuned and hopefully shortly HTC will provide OTA update or root your device and install one of the custom ROMs based on the new RUU 1.70 which might be solving this issue.

Oren

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
a new updated has been realesed, is there anyone who has seen any improovments?

I'm about to take a one s tomorrow but I'm a little worried regarding all those problems : no signal, overheating...

orenfl

Jan 9, 2011

I'm about to take a one s tomorrow but I'm a little worried regarding all those problems : no signal, overheating...

working already with the 1.78 firmware with no much of a different :'(

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA

Reactions: silord

mattionline

Jan 10, 2012

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336593035615.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336593035615.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 50

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried TrickDroid v1.0 base 1.70 but still same problem

working already with the 1.78 firmware with no much of a different :'(

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA