[Mod][How To] Disable the Boomsound icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

thoughtlesskyle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 26, 2008
Outside of Philadelphia
I've gotten this question a few times in the SuperSix thread so I decided i'd post this as its own to make it easier to find an search
(mods can move or delete this thread as needed)

So first thing to know about the Boomsound icon in the status bar, it's not referred to as boomsound anywhere in the smali, it's still referenced as the beats icon, because it honestly is just with a different coat of paint.

what you'll need:

APKTOOL (i'm not going to spend time on how to decompile and all that)
Text editor of some sort, I love me some Notepad ++
Deodex'd rom

Grab the Framework.jar from your rom and decompile it, then open your smali folder and navigate to

smali\android\media\AudioService$HTCBeatsEffect.smali

look for the following
HTML:
.method public showBeatsIcon(I)V
    .locals 6
    .param p1    # I

const/4 v5, 0x1

const/4 v4, 0x0

const/4 v3, 0x0

iget-boolean v0, p0, Landroid/media/AudioService$HtcBeatsEffect;->mNotificationOn:Z

if-eqz v0, :cond_0

iget v0, p0, Landroid/media/AudioService$HtcBeatsEffect;->mIconId:I

if-eq v0, p1, :cond_1

Change to:

const/4 v5, 0x0

it will look something like this:

HTML:
    .locals 6
    .param p1    # I

const/4 v5, 0x0

const/4 v4, 0x0

const/4 v3, 0x0

iget-boolean v0, p0, Landroid/media/AudioService$HtcBeatsEffect;->mNotificationOn:Z

recompile, sign, and either push or flash it how you please.

Credit goes to @Gumby63 for finding the kill switch.

Devs and Chef's if this helped feel free to include it in your roms, and credit as you see fit (we'd def appreciate it though)

bimmerbot

Nov 21, 2008
Boomsound icon removal walkthrough for Noobs like me

I don’t know about you, but I don’t find the Boomsound icon to be necessary. I can’t turn off Boomsound when using the phone’s speakers, and I don’t need an icon to tell me sound is playing because I HAVE FUNCTIONAL EARS. Here is an amazingly long tutorial to make a seemingly simple change (a single “1” becomes a “0” in the framework.jar system file), consolidating information from about 8 different sources I had to find via Google and XDA searching. I hope it benefits someone out there who is in the same boat I was!

Basic disclaimer: I take no responsibility for anything you choose to do to your phone based on these instructions. I can only say for sure that this worked for me on my Sprint HTC One (M8). Please make a nandroid backup through your recovery before starting just in case you mess anything up. Credit goes to thoughtlesskyle for the short tutorial he provided for me to build around and get this mod accomplished! Credit also goes to aguha1044 for his post from 29 August 2012 that I used to figure out the need for JDK and the CMD commands needed to decompile/recompile. Credit goes to Google and XDA for the information leading me to the baksmali/smali files somehow. Credit goes to me for deducing the adb push command with a lucky semi-educated guess. :p

Basic prerequisites (If you have questions about this part, you’re probably not ready for this mod):

i. Install ADB Tools (Android SDK). See here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
ii. Be unlocked and rooted. See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709980
iii. Be S-Off. See here: http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Now to the details of actually removing that annoying icon:

1. Download APKTool here: https://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/list
    • For Windows, you need the first two download links.
    • Unzip them to a folder on your C: drive. I used C:\miniadb_m8\, which I will reference hereafter. You don’t need to do anything with them at this point; they just need to be here.
  2. Download Java Development Kit (JDK) here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-netbeans-jsp-142931.html
    • Accept the license agreement.
    • Use the 5th link if you’re on 64-bit Windows, or the 4th link if on 32-bit Windows.
    • It’s 261 MB, so have a snack. Once it’s downloaded, install it. Have dinner while you wait.
  3. Download Baksmali/Smali files here: https://code.google.com/p/smali/downloads/list
    • I’m honestly not sure which are actually necessary, but download all 4 files and save them in the same folder from earlier (e.g., C:\miniadb_m8\)
  4. Go to C:\minadb_M8\ (or whatever folder you’re using) in Windows. Hold Shift while you Right Click an empty area in that window (with nothing selected beforehand), and select “Open command window here.” (This option only appears if you hold Shift when you right click.)
    • You should see the command window, showing C:\miniadb_m8\
  5. Connect your phone via USB. Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled (Settings --> Developer Options (you should have gotten this while rooting) –> USB Debugging).
  6. In the command window, type:
    • adb pull /system/framework/framework.jar C:\miniadb_m8
      • Last part is the folder you’ve been using, where the file will be saved. Yes, the direction of the slashes is important!
    • apktool d framework.jar mod
      • “mod” is a folder that will be created to decompile the framework.jar into within the C:\miniadb_m8\ folder where you’re working.
  7. Go to: C:\miniadb_m8\mod\smali\android\media\ and open the file “AudioService$HtcBeatsEffect.smali” with Notepad. Don’t let Windows search for a program to open it. Browse manually and choose Notepad.
    • See thoughtlesskyle’s post above this one for the tiny edit you need to make. It’s about 80% of the way towards the bottom of the file when browsing in Notepad. You can use Ctrl+F and search for “.method public showBeats” to find it quickly.
  8. Go back to C:\miniadb_M8\ and delete the old framework.jar file (you don’t need it anymore and you’re about to create a new one with the modified value you just changed; or you can rename it to save it as a backup if you really want).
  9. Back in the command window, type:
    • apktool b mod framework.jar
      • This recompiles the file you decompiled in order to modify it. You should now see a new framework.jar file in C:\miniadb_m8\, which was created from the mod folder you were buried in when you modified that “AudioService$HtcBeatsEffect.smali“ file. This is the one you’re going to put back in your phone.
    • adb push C:\miniadb_m8\framework.jar /system/framework/framework.jar
      • This replaces the original framework.jar file on your device with the one you just modified.
  10. Restart your device. You’ll see a screen like you would see after an OTA update (Updating Android files… X/311… or whatever). Once you’re booted up, run anything that plays audio from your phone speakers, and admire the now-cleaner status bar without that annoying Boomsound icon!

Last edited:
Reactions: yuppicide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've gotten this question a few times in the SuperSix thread so I decided i'd post this as its own to make it easier to find an search
    (mods can move or delete this thread as needed)

So first thing to know about the Boomsound icon in the status bar, it's not referred to as boomsound anywhere in the smali, it's still referenced as the beats icon, because it honestly is just with a different coat of paint.

what you'll need:

APKTOOL (i'm not going to spend time on how to decompile and all that)
    Text editor of some sort, I love me some Notepad ++
    Deodex'd rom

Grab the Framework.jar from your rom and decompile it, then open your smali folder and navigate to

smali\android\media\AudioService$HTCBeatsEffect.smali

look for the following
    HTML:
        .locals 6
        .param p1    # I

const/4 v5, 0x1

const/4 v4, 0x0

const/4 v3, 0x0

Change to:

const/4 v5, 0x0

it will look something like this:

HTML:
        .locals 6
        .param p1    # I

const/4 v5, 0x0

const/4 v4, 0x0

const/4 v3, 0x0

recompile, sign, and either push or flash it how you please.

Credit goes to @Gumby63 for finding the kill switch.

Devs and Chef's if this helped feel free to include it in your roms, and credit as you see fit (we'd def appreciate it though)
    Boomsound icon removal walkthrough for Noobs like me

I don’t know about you, but I don’t find the Boomsound icon to be necessary. I can’t turn off Boomsound when using the phone’s speakers, and I don’t need an icon to tell me sound is playing because I HAVE FUNCTIONAL EARS. Here is an amazingly long tutorial to make a seemingly simple change (a single “1” becomes a “0” in the framework.jar system file), consolidating information from about 8 different sources I had to find via Google and XDA searching. I hope it benefits someone out there who is in the same boat I was!

Basic disclaimer: I take no responsibility for anything you choose to do to your phone based on these instructions. I can only say for sure that this worked for me on my Sprint HTC One (M8). Please make a nandroid backup through your recovery before starting just in case you mess anything up. Credit goes to thoughtlesskyle for the short tutorial he provided for me to build around and get this mod accomplished! Credit also goes to aguha1044 for his post from 29 August 2012 that I used to figure out the need for JDK and the CMD commands needed to decompile/recompile. Credit goes to Google and XDA for the information leading me to the baksmali/smali files somehow. Credit goes to me for deducing the adb push command with a lucky semi-educated guess. :p

Basic prerequisites (If you have questions about this part, you’re probably not ready for this mod):

i. Install ADB Tools (Android SDK). See here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    ii. Be unlocked and rooted. See here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709980
    iii. Be S-Off. See here: http://firewater-soff.com/instructions/

Now to the details of actually removing that annoying icon:

1. Download APKTool here: https://code.google.com/p/android-apktool/downloads/list
      • For Windows, you need the first two download links.
      • Unzip them to a folder on your C: drive. I used C:\miniadb_m8\, which I will reference hereafter. You don’t need to do anything with them at this point; they just need to be here.
    2. Download Java Development Kit (JDK) here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-netbeans-jsp-142931.html
      • Accept the license agreement.
      • Use the 5th link if you’re on 64-bit Windows, or the 4th link if on 32-bit Windows.
      • It’s 261 MB, so have a snack. Once it’s downloaded, install it. Have dinner while you wait.
    3. Download Baksmali/Smali files here: https://code.google.com/p/smali/downloads/list
      • I’m honestly not sure which are actually necessary, but download all 4 files and save them in the same folder from earlier (e.g., C:\miniadb_m8\)
    4. Go to C:\minadb_M8\ (or whatever folder you’re using) in Windows. Hold Shift while you Right Click an empty area in that window (with nothing selected beforehand), and select “Open command window here.” (This option only appears if you hold Shift when you right click.)
      • You should see the command window, showing C:\miniadb_m8\
    5. Connect your phone via USB. Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled (Settings --> Developer Options (you should have gotten this while rooting) –> USB Debugging).
    6. In the command window, type:
      • adb pull /system/framework/framework.jar C:\miniadb_m8
        • Last part is the folder you’ve been using, where the file will be saved. Yes, the direction of the slashes is important!
      • apktool d framework.jar mod
        • “mod” is a folder that will be created to decompile the framework.jar into within the C:\miniadb_m8\ folder where you’re working.
    7. Go to: C:\miniadb_m8\mod\smali\android\media\ and open the file “AudioService$HtcBeatsEffect.smali” with Notepad. Don’t let Windows search for a program to open it. Browse manually and choose Notepad.
      • See thoughtlesskyle’s post above this one for the tiny edit you need to make. It’s about 80% of the way towards the bottom of the file when browsing in Notepad. You can use Ctrl+F and search for “.method public showBeats” to find it quickly.
    8. Go back to C:\miniadb_M8\ and delete the old framework.jar file (you don’t need it anymore and you’re about to create a new one with the modified value you just changed; or you can rename it to save it as a backup if you really want).
    9. Back in the command window, type:
      • apktool b mod framework.jar
        • This recompiles the file you decompiled in order to modify it. You should now see a new framework.jar file in C:\miniadb_m8\, which was created from the mod folder you were buried in when you modified that “AudioService$HtcBeatsEffect.smali“ file. This is the one you’re going to put back in your phone.
      • adb push C:\miniadb_m8\framework.jar /system/framework/framework.jar
        • This replaces the original framework.jar file on your device with the one you just modified.
    10. Restart your device. You’ll see a screen like you would see after an OTA update (Updating Android files… X/311… or whatever). Once you’re booted up, run anything that plays audio from your phone speakers, and admire the now-cleaner status bar without that annoying Boomsound icon!