[MOD] SD-EXT Boot MOD for CyanogenMod

Search This thread

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
KeoxOSGe

SD-EXT MODs for CyanogenMod

Created by hinxnz

Expand your Data Size!

Welcome! These mods will setup your CM ROM to use your sd-ext partition.
Supporting ivanich's CyanogenMod 11 | 12 | 13 ROMs

*Please refer to note for different CyanogenMod versions.

Your sd-ext can be any size - I recommend any size between 2 & 8 Gb
Your sd-ext must be a second primary partition, ext4 or f2fs file system
Complete wipe and fresh installation of ROM is needed to avoid confusion
Your device needs to be S-OFF
[ S-OFF HELP THREAD ]
Always make a nandroid before flashing things. I am not responsible for any data loss!

4L6Oji2X

All Data on SD-EXT

- Entire data partition on sd-ext

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and leave your internal data untouched
  • Your internal data will now be mounted as idata, which can be used for personal use
  • Flash this mod straight after installing and updating your ROM
  • No need to wipe dalvik-cache when updating your ROM, this mod will do it for you
jRKklJE6

All Data excl. Dalvik-Cache

- Data partition on sd-ext with internal dalvik-cache

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and use your internal data for dalvik-cache
  • Your internal data will be mounted for dalvik-cache only with no symlink
  • No need to wipe dalvik-cache when updating your ROM, this mod will do it for you
ujk7H1Nw

All Data excl. App Data

- Data partition on sd-ext with internal app data

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and use your internal data for app data
  • Your internal data will be mounted for app data only with no symlink
*********************************************************************************************************​

dwOmN05M

Dalvik-Cache on SD-EXT

- Dalvik-Cache only on sd-ext

• This mod will use your sd-ext for dalvik-cache
  • Your sd-ext will be mounted for dalvik-cache only with no symlink
  • No need for a clean installation if no previous sd-ext mod has been applied
xn2PopVj

User Apps on SD-EXT

- User apps on sd-ext only

• This mod will use your sd-ext for user apps
  • Your sd-ext will be mounted for user apps only with no symlink
Credits
@hinxnz for making and testing these mods
@delta-roh for bringing the idea to our HTC Sensation
@ivanich for his great work on CyanogenMod

Last edited:

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
[MOD] BOOT MOD PLUS 4 for CyanogenMod

SKaUJ4LL

BOOT-MOD-PLUS 4

* Data on sd-ext plus more!

Introduction
  • This mod mounts your sd-ext partition as /data
  • Your internal data will be mounted as /cache
  • Configuration script for customizing your experience
  • Install and remove system apps
  • Compatible only with ivanich's CyanogenMod 12 & 13 ROMs
  • Your device needs to be S-OFF [ S-OFF HELP THREAD ]
Installation
  • You initially need to make a fresh install of ROM before flashing this mod
  • If using plus mod 3, you should able to update without wipe, backup first, flash after ROM.
  • Your sdcard needs to have a sd-ext partition, you can do this in TWRP recovery.
  • I recommend all partitions f2fs, except system. 4 - 8Gb SD-ext.
  • Flash this mod straight after installing ROM and when updating your ROM
  • Once installed mod can be flashed without ROM to check fs on sd-ext, add/remove system apps, update config script.
  • System apps can be added to the zip, Adaway & ViPER4Android is included for an example.
  • A system app removal script is included in the zip.
  • All other options are controlled by an configuration script called boot.conf
  • boot.conf is located in /cache, reboot is needed to apply changes
Changelog

• See download folder below.
Download

Last edited:

little_lerroyy

Jun 22, 2014
Sydney
Well deserved thread.

I have done this mod less than a week ago with a new Samsung EVO 32gb card. I must say the difference is amazing when it comes to performance of loading apps, contacts, messages and every thing regarding loading of data from storage. I would highly recommend this if they want not only more space but for a much faster sensation.

Im currently testing both dalvik on the sd card vs dalvik just on the internal memory in regards to system performance. I will post findings.

blahbl4hblah

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 3, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well deserved thread.

I have done this mod less than a week ago with a new Samsung EVO 32gb card. I must say the difference is amazing when it comes to performance of loading apps, contacts, messages and every thing regarding loading of data from storage. I would highly recommend this if they want not only more space but for a much faster sensation.

Im currently testing both dalvik on the sd card vs dalvik just on the internal memory in regards to system performance. I will post findings.

@op I like this mod, it's like delta-roh's turbo data except it's just in a flash method correct?
@little_lerroyy, If I remember correctly, dalvik on either wouldn't cause any difference. But all data on sd-ext will cause slower performance.

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
Thanks! Do these work on CM11 also?

No they don't work with cm11, I can make one for cm11 but only the all data version will work because things are different in cm11 and mounting internal data fails unless I edit and make directories in init.rc too.

@op I like this mod, it's like delta-roh's turbo data except it's just in a flash method correct?

@little_lerroyy, If I remember correctly, dalvik on either wouldn't cause any difference. But all data on sd-ext will cause slower performance.

Yes it's kind of the same but flash method and mounting internal data with options.
You can update your ROM and flash this on the go. Using a windows pc, if available, for nightly's is not really practical for some.

Karam.

Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for the great Mod hinxnz , I'm using it for couple days now and everything works great
I was viewing partitions and I found out dalvik takes about 800 mb from the data partition
I don't know about the reading frequency of dalvik & data compared , but I wonder if moving only dalvik to sd-ext would give us both speed for data partition and space for dalvik ?

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
Reflash if we update nightly? Any data loss?

Sent from my Sensation using XDA Free mobile app

Yes you need to flash mod after updating ROM everytime.

Thanks for the great Mod hinxnz , I'm using it for couple days now and everything works great
I was viewing partitions and I found out dalvik takes about 800 mb from the data partition
I don't know about the reading frequency of dalvik & data compared , but I wonder if moving only dalvik to sd-ext would give us both speed for data partition and space for dalvik ?

Depending on apps will depend what size your dalvik-cache is. For example the more apps you have, the bigger dalvik-cache will grow. I have roughly 60 user apps but remove about 22 system apps and using internal data for dalvik, which is 683Mb in size.

I have already made a mod to move only dalvik-cache to sd-ext > http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59708966&postcount=1864

Some others have reported that using a up to date high spec good quality sdcard is faster than internal emmc, so it's sort of controversial until proper tests are done.

Reactions: Karam.

WnG88

Jul 29, 2006
Toronto
Yes you need to flash mod after updating ROM everytime.

Depending on apps will depend what size your dalvik-cache is. For example the more apps you have, the bigger dalvik-cache will grow. I have roughly 60 user apps but remove about 22 system apps and using internal data for dalvik, which is 683Mb in size.

I have already made a mod to move only dalvik-cache to sd-ext > http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=59708966&postcount=1864

Some others have reported that using a up to date high spec good quality sdcard is faster than internal emmc, so it's sort of controversial until proper tests are done.

Having only Dalvik on SD-ext (Option 4?) was best option for me even with a class 10 SDcard. Much smoother.

Can you maybe put instructions on how to save your data when changing between the 4 options?

I used recovery backup then renamed the part of the backup to new partition and restored. E.g. I went from option 2 dalvik on data and data on sd-ext, to only dalvik on sd-ext, so I renamed the backup of the sd-ext (three files in twrp) to the same name as the data backup. Then restored the data backup. That worked.

Would be great if you can somehow make this automated when switching between options.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Karam.

Mar 3, 2012
Having only Dalvik on SD-ext (Option 4?) was best option for me even with a class 10 SDcard. Much smoother.

Same here , Dalvik on SD-ext is very smooth , even on a slow SD , only boot time takes 4-5 more seconds but everything else is great , and I have 700 mb free on /data after installing my apps

dodjob

Jan 25, 2008
Maxhütte-Haidhof
Hi there,
Install "MOD-02". I have a Class 10 SD with 3Gb Sd-ext.
Well it's awesome :) still 1,5Gb place to go with A L L the apps I could install.
One drawback is this sh###!ty Facebook app which cannot be installed through Playstore. I had to download one apk and install it directly.
I became an "unknown error 504" every time I tried. As soon as (for me at least) I get a nearly dailly FB update (WTF!) I would be really happy to get a fix ^^
Ah and yes, I have currently disabled update for it.. of course but woudl prefer to have it UTD ;)
The Grüß,
Nice mod for our sensy :D
H.

Karam.

Mar 3, 2012
Two weeks and 31 user apps , Very smooth and convenient with Dalvik only mod on a slow SD . 612mb used on /data and 722mb used on Dalvik on /SD_EXT .

AKAndrew41

Feb 16, 2013
After flashing CM12.1(ivanich), Gapps 5.1 and this zip it gives me encryption failed after first boot, leaving me no option but format every partition and redo the flashing process for rom and gapps; without this mod and it will work.
Also, won't work regardless the order I am flashing the gapps and this mod.

Any help?

Reactions: devrruti

hinxnz

Jul 21, 2009
After flashing CM12.1(ivanich), Gapps 5.1 and this zip it gives me encryption failed after first boot, leaving me no option but format every partition and redo the flashing process for rom and gapps; without this mod and it will work.
Also, won't work regardless the order I am flashing the gapps and this mod.

Any help?

I also experienced this once or twice when testing, it maybe due to a corrupt file system on sd-ext, it happened to me once on cm11 when I forgot to format data and sd-ext back to ext4 file system because cm11 doesn't support f2fs.
I'm running mod with no issues on cm12.1 at the moment.
You may just need to format data and sd-ext again, flash ROM and mod and reboot.
What file system did you format data and sd-ext with and what mod version did you use?

Last edited:
Reactions: devrruti

AKAndrew41

Feb 16, 2013
I also experienced this once or twice when testing, it maybe due to a corrupt file system on sd-ext, it happened to me once on cm11 when I forgot to format data and sd-ext back to ext4 file system because cm11 doesn't support f2fs.
I'm running mod with no issues on cm12.1 at the moment.
You may just need to format data and sd-ext again, flash ROM and mod and reboot.
What file system did you format data and sd-ext with and what mod version did you use?

I now changed the filesystem of my extsd to ext4 and has the same problem!
Also, all the other partitions are ext4. I am using 1.1 (everything on sd).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    KeoxOSGe

SD-EXT MODs for CyanogenMod

Created by hinxnz

Expand your Data Size!

Welcome! These mods will setup your CM ROM to use your sd-ext partition.
    Supporting ivanich's CyanogenMod 11 | 12 | 13 ROMs

*Please refer to note for different CyanogenMod versions.

Your sd-ext can be any size - I recommend any size between 2 & 8 Gb
    Your sd-ext must be a second primary partition, ext4 or f2fs file system
    Complete wipe and fresh installation of ROM is needed to avoid confusion
    Your device needs to be S-OFF
    [ S-OFF HELP THREAD ]
    Always make a nandroid before flashing things. I am not responsible for any data loss!

4L6Oji2X

All Data on SD-EXT

- Entire data partition on sd-ext

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and leave your internal data untouched
    • Your internal data will now be mounted as idata, which can be used for personal use
    jRKklJE6

All Data excl. Dalvik-Cache

- Data partition on sd-ext with internal dalvik-cache

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and use your internal data for dalvik-cache
    • Your internal data will be mounted for dalvik-cache only with no symlink
    ujk7H1Nw

All Data excl. App Data

- Data partition on sd-ext with internal app data

• This mod will use your sd-ext for data and use your internal data for app data
    • Your internal data will be mounted for app data only with no symlink
    *********************************************************************************************************​

dwOmN05M

Dalvik-Cache on SD-EXT

- Dalvik-Cache only on sd-ext

• This mod will use your sd-ext for dalvik-cache
    • Your sd-ext will be mounted for dalvik-cache only with no symlink
    xn2PopVj

User Apps on SD-EXT

- User apps on sd-ext only

• This mod will use your sd-ext for user apps
    • Your sd-ext will be mounted for user apps only with no symlink
    Credits
    @hinxnz for making and testing these mods
    @delta-roh for bringing the idea to our HTC Sensation
    @ivanich for his great work on CyanogenMod

[MOD] BOOT MOD PLUS 4 for CyanogenMod

SKaUJ4LL

BOOT-MOD-PLUS 4

* Data on sd-ext plus more!

Introduction
    • This mod mounts your sd-ext partition as /data
    • Your internal data will be mounted as /cache
    • Configuration script for customizing your experience
    • Install and remove system apps
    • Compatible only with ivanich's CyanogenMod 12 & 13 ROMs
    • Your device needs to be S-OFF [ S-OFF HELP THREAD ]
    Installation
    • You initially need to make a fresh install of ROM before flashing this mod
    • If using plus mod 3, you should able to update without wipe, backup first, flash after ROM.
    • Your sdcard needs to have a sd-ext partition, you can do this in TWRP recovery.
    • I recommend all partitions f2fs, except system. 4 - 8Gb SD-ext.
    • Flash this mod straight after installing ROM and when updating your ROM
    • Once installed mod can be flashed without ROM to check fs on sd-ext, add/remove system apps, update config script.
    • System apps can be added to the zip, Adaway & ViPER4Android is included for an example.
    • A system app removal script is included in the zip.
    • All other options are controlled by an configuration script called boot.conf
    • boot.conf is located in /cache, reboot is needed to apply changes
    Changelog

• See download folder below.
    Download
    Second post updated with new version.
    This uses internal data as dalvik-cache plus much more :D
    I improved a few things & added more tweaks, removed internal swap but added HardSwap support & also includes Autostarts & ViPER4Android for now.
    If using BOOT-MOD-PLUS-1, wipe only data & dalvik-cache in recovery, then flash ROM, then Mod.
    Wiping data in recovery only wipes your internal data & not your user data on sd-ext.
    Works with ivanich's cm11, cm12 & cm12.1, I tested mainly on cm11 & cm12.1 though.
    @elvisypi @esco27

New three versions uploaded, now support for all ivanich's ROMs > cm11, cm12 & cm12.1.
    Well deserved thread.