[UPDATE][ALL ROMS][HOW-TO]Speed Up & Maintain - [CM-7/9/10/10.1][NEW CONCEPTS]

Search This thread

OJ

Dec 31, 2011
Pune
First of all, thank you very much for the guide!Excuse me if my question is so stupid but I'm not sure to understand something about the scripts. You recommend to only use the Activo Speeder, and not to use any other script. But what about a script to move the applications to the sdcard?I'm using CM10.1 RC5 and I'm also using S2E for CM10.1 (concretely, Wah-idOne version). But S2E doesn't seem to work fine when I use Activo Speeder.
Yes, you can use any app 2 sd script if you want.. but u cant use two different performance scripts at once.. bcoz their properties will override and hence wont work.. i hope it is clear.. :)

norike

Mar 20, 2012
Girona
Yes, you can use any app 2 sd script if you want.. but u cant use two different performance scripts at once.. bcoz their properties will override and hence wont work.. i hope it is clear.. :)
Not 100% clear to me :p
Don't you have space problems with the Mini? Do you use an app 2 sd script that doesn't interfere with ActivoSpeeder?

I think space is one of the biggest problems with the Mini, and using app 2 sd scripts to gain space use to affect the performance, that is the second major problem in the Mini. It could be an extra tip for your guide ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know, many people here want to have Android 4.x.x on their phones, but unfortunately, because of low-end processor as well as less RAM, these CM10/CM10.1 ROMs are laggy and slow. I am also one of them, but, after using these type of roms since 4 months, I have now got a perfect idea of using them. So, I am sharing the way I use these roms. Many people told that this also helps for CM7 users. So, now I have declared this thread as UNIVERSAL PERFORMANCE THREAD. This method can be used on - Stock | CM7/9/10/10.1.
    NOTE : This method is same for PAC ROMS.. because they are based on CM. So, you can use this on PAC ROMs also.

♦ FINDING STABLE VERSION :
    First of all you will need to find a stable version from these downloads of CM10.1. According to me and some other people, the best stable versions are-
    build #27-1-13 - Android 4.2.1
    build #16-2-13 - Android 4.2.2

For CM7 users - Official CM7 is best, but if you want you can try it on custom roms also.

Note : If you are using CM7 custom or stock based custom rom, then for scripts n tweaks to work, you must delete all the scripts from init.d so that scripts will not get overridden.

Download the rom and follow the next step.

♦ SLIMMING THE ROM :
    Slimming means making rom size less by removing unwanted and unnecessary applications from system/app. It reduces system memory use. Here is a chart of apps which are safe to remove - LINK
    With reference to that chart you should remove following apps with adding alternatives to them.
    Note: Left side apps are to be removed and right side apps are alternatives.

● LatinIME.apk - WP7 Keyboard App
    ● Browser.apk - Holo Web Browser
    ● CMFileManager.apk - Root Explorer File Manager
    ● Trebuchet.apk - Holo Launcher

NOTE: On CM7, default ADW is good, but you can also use Holo Launcher.

Other apps that can be removed without alternatives-
    ● CalendarProvider.apk - One of the big RAM consuming apps. This app start anytime, you do anything, so it will be a big save of memory removing this app. But, you will get problems with calendar sync..
    ● GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk - Reomove this only if you do not sync calendar.
    ● Email.apk - If not in use.
    ● Gmail.apk - If not in use.
    ● Talk.apk - If not in use.
    ● GoogleBackupTransport.apk - It is used in google backups, remove on your own risk. (Not a risk, i always remove it.)
    ● ChromeBookmarkSyncAdapter - No use.
    ● HTMLViewer.apk - Never needed.
    ● UserDictionaryProvider.apk - It is useless without LatinIME.apk.
    ● VisualizationWallpapers.apk - Wallpapers app. Remove it always.
    ● CMWallpapers - Remove it always.
    ● VoiceDialer.apk - Do you really use it?
    ● LiveWallpapers.apk - Dont you care for your battery?
    ● QuickSearchBox.apk - If you dont use.
    ● PicoTTS.apk - Text to speech function.

NOTE: Alternative apps should always be installed in system/app only. For that, I recommend you to remove these apps drectly from rom's zip before flashing.

♦ USE OF SCRIPTS N TWEAKS :
    Many people use hard scripts n many tweaks to get good performance. But, it is totally wrong.
    Highly recommended to use Activo Speeder. It is the best script for performance. Dont use anyother thing with it- such as ram manager, seeder or anyother script.

ALTERNATIVE FOR ACTIVO SPEEDER :
    After testing a lot, I found that SuperCharger is the best script which can be used with any ROM to get more performance and for perfect RAM Management. Here are some steps on how to use SuperCharger -
    ● Here is the original thread for SuperCharger script.
    ● Script can be downloaded from this download page.
    ● Download latest script as well as starter package if needed (Read Original Thread).
    ● Now, for 4.x.x ROMs, you do not need to do anything with services.jar. But, for below 4.x.x, services.jar needs to be patched to get SuperCharger Memory Management working.
    ● Now, copy script to SDcard and run it with Script Manager as root. For more detailed guide plz prefer the original supercharger thread.
    ● Now, you are running the script. You will find many options and info on screen. Read it all and choose what you want.

NEW DISCOVERY : SUPERCHARGER + CROSSBREEDER = ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE WITH MAX ENTROPY ! - by Dark Passenger

LINK FOR THE POST.

Here are some tweaks-
    In Build.prop -
    Code:
    ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
    and change the value from 0 to 1. (Add the line with proper value if does not exist)
    This one is for battery saving.
    Code:
    dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m
    If it already exists then just match the values.
    This is a VM Heap management for RAM.
    Code:
    ro.ext4fs = 1
    Improves EXT4 performance.

● IMP :
    Add following lines below "# Other" in build.prop
    Code:
    ro.com.google.locationfeatures=0
    ro.com.google.networklocation=0
    (If exists, just change the values as above).
    (Note: This one will remove location feature increasing performance freeing up more RAM. This frees up to 30mb of RAM)
    And now remove NetworkLocation.apk from system/app as well as com.android.location.provider.jar from /system/framework.

For further build.prop tweaking, you can use this great guide -> Click Here. Thanks to Dark Passenger for some suggestions in build.prop.

This much tweaking and scripting is enough. DONT USE TOO MUCH TWEAKS N SCRIPTS.

♦ BASIC APPS TO USE :
    Your rom's performance also depends on the apps which you use. Always look for apps' memory usage and if the app consumes more ram then try to find an alternative app for it. Here are some basic apps which you should use (i always use them).
    ● Use Root Explorer as file manager, Holo Launcher as Launcher.
    ● Use Cache Cleaner App. It is must. Clean cache once a day.
    ● Use Root Cleaner App. A must have app. Do "Quick Cleaning" twice a day. It will regulate your performance.
    You can also freeze the apps you are not using at that time, such as DSPManager (Unfreeze it only at the time of listening songs)
    Freezing Google Apps will be a great way to reduce RAM consumption.
    ● Use this amazing app - Autostarts. This app controls the apps that start automatically in your phone. Now, settings also added. Look below.

CLICK HERE FOR AUTOSTART SETTINGS

● ABOUT TASK KILLERS :
    Using task killer is good but, it is also bad. Task killing is actually meaningless. Some apps never really get killed. They start again n again. So, use Autostarts instead task killers. But, here is a nice app for killing processes and freeing RAM. This is the original app. I have themed it to look good. Download it here.
    Use it as a task killer, press menu button and include system processes and then start killing processes which are useless.

● Try to use apps as system apps.
    ● If you are using UC Browser then in its settings, check "Clear Data on Exit". If did, you will see UC will take less than 10mb but, if you wont do this, UC will take more than 15mb.

♦ IMPORTANT TIPS AND SETTINGS :
    ● Always flash rom with a clean wipe and proper flashing method.
    ● Do not flash gapps again if they are included in the rom.
    ● Do not flash internal memory scripts as they reduce performance.
    ● Use Adrenaline Boost. Boost once or twice a day. Boosting much will increase battery consumption.
    ● Use Root Cleaner app and freeze the apps which you are not using at that time. Freeze Google Play Store, Google Services Framework and other google apps which are always on. Unfreeze them when you want.
    ● The apps used for Backup purposes should not be installed always. Keep them in your sdcard and install them when you want and uninstall when done with them.
    ● Basic apps should always be in system/app.
    ● In Developer Options -
    Set all animations scale to .5x
    Set Background Process Limit to "Atmost 4 processes", if issues occur then set it back to "Standard Limit".
    Enable "Kill App Back Button". Always use this feature to come out of the apps which do not really exit on pressing just back button.
    ● Do not expect much from our phone as it is not a high-end phone. Dont expect good battery life but, still to gain good battery life. Keep RAM free by using the ProcessKiller app as told above. I always get 170 mb RAM free.
    ● Do not charge battery until it gets discharged upto 10% or less. While charging do not remove it till it reaches 100% and 20 mins above that.
    ● Calibrate battery when needed.
    ● Avoid use of apps which are always running either in background or foreground.
    ● Press thanks. :p.
    nice. changeing theme to undefault ones mostly improve speed.actually we can delete cache data in settings>storage. so dont need to install thirdparty apps to do such stuff. tweaks scripts mostly lagging my phone, dont know why. and try to minimalize installed apps.cheerz.
    Dont know about changing theme.. bcoz i always use MIUI theme. Still runs fast. Tweaks n scripts really make device lag cm10.1 but actually you should try activo reload after fresh install.. works great.. and about cache cleaning.. i didnt know that.. will change it in thread.
    A nice and helpful guide for everybody :thumbup:Should be a sticky Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks.. will make it sticky..
    Spamming your thanks meter... good tutorial !
    Thanks for spamming.. ;)
    I cant install holo web is it only for cm10 other apps work on cm7.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

These tricks can be also used for other ROMs for performance.. but HoloWeb is only for CM10.. as far as I know..