How to Disable Xposed on Lollipop when stuck in Bootloop

Search This thread

bseos

Aug 9, 2009
Melbourne
I have xposed running on my Nexus 5 lollipop 5.0.1.
After downloading and enabling a couple modules my phone is now stuck in a bootloop.
I tried clearing dalvik and cache it didn't help.

Is it possible to disable xposed from recovery?

EDIT: Solved.
Boot into Recovery (Power + Volume Down)
TWRP > Advanced > Terminal command
Create a file /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled, which causes Xposed to be bypassed:
Code:
touch /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled

Last edited:

bseos

Aug 9, 2009
Melbourne
what modules you have activated?

It was between two modules. Can't remember the first one but the last one was XInstaller.

Anyway, got it solved using the below method:

Create a file /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled, which causes Xposed to be bypassed as well:
Code:

.Ryker

Oct 18, 2011
Hyrule
ryker.me
It was between two modules. Can't remember the first one but the last one was XInstaller.

Create a file /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled, which causes Xposed to be bypassed as well:
Code:

XInstaller seems to be causing a few issues, and I don't think its the app itself but the apps it allows you to install instead. I had the same issue after installing xInstaller. But now that you figured this out maybe I can try a few other apps out like xstana :) which for somereason refuses to install on lollipop devices...

Reactions: xagar

bseos

Aug 9, 2009
Melbourne
XInstaller seems to be causing a few issues, and I don't think its the app itself but the apps it allows you to install instead. I had the same issue after installing xInstaller. But now that you figured this out maybe I can try a few other apps out like xstana :) which for somereason refuses to install on lollipop devices...

After disabling it I flashed the new xposed-arm-20150308.zip and installed XposedInstaller_3.0-alpha2.apk (I was on alpha1 previously)
Re-enabled xposed (deleted "disabled" file) and all is working fine now.

ek69

Jan 15, 2008
This thread definitely either needs to be made a sticky, or the contents needs to be in one of the already made sticky threads IMHO

Cheers

//edit

I tried this out on my phone to test (my xposed stuff is working just fine) but it doesn't seem to have disabled xposed at all?

Ex, app settings still functions (set my play store to be at 480 DPI and it's still opening in 480 DPI as it should...)

I made the necessary file you said with fx file manager, not through TWRP recovery though... I don't think it should make a difference though how I made the file, just that it's there.

Maybe my permissions on the file are messed up, I just thought of that..

//edit 2

Yup my perms were messed up, xposed is now disabled for me. Cheers for the info, now I know what to do when some shady looking module backfires on me lol :)

Last edited:

Cr4z33

Oct 14, 2011
Salento, Italy
Just to report that the method failed on a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925F).

I created succesfully the disabled file, but I was still having bootloops.

So I thought I forgot to set the file to 755, but then TWRP told me:
Code:
Updating partition details...
...done
E: Resource (font)-(fixes) failed to load
Kernel does not have support for reading SELinux contexts.
MTP Enabled

Now I hope to fix everything by reflashing the firmware again... :D

Nokiacrazi

May 26, 2011
Manchester
After successfully disabling xposed in order to get the device to boot, how do we reenable it? Because after uninstalling the module which caused the problem the framework is "not active". A reboot did not work.

Reactions: mhdrhnm

jkyoho

Aug 4, 2011
toronto
Silly question but how can I delete it? I tried locating it using HTC file manager and es file explorer but cannot locate it.

Is there a command I can use using terminal emulator or something?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
You need you use Root explorer or Es file explorer that supported Root and locate to /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf

Method 2:
You can even delete the "disabled" file in recovery by using file management, if you are using TWRP. Same as previous method, just locate to /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf

Last edited:

Nokiacrazi

May 26, 2011
Manchester
You need you use Root explorer or Es file explorer that supported Root and locate to /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf

Method 2:
You can even delete the "disabled" file in recovery by using file management, if you are using TWRP. Same as previous method, just locate to /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf

Thanks, method 2 worked a treat.

For some reason, even though I have root access, it wasn't showing in either root explorer or es file explorer, however, when looking through TWRP file management was all there.

cybercop007

Jul 27, 2013
Delete the "disabled" file in the folder op showed

can you please explain the process.
i entered the twrp and advanced and terminal command and went through the shown path yet i didnt see the file "disabled"
he has said to create a file; how could i create a file??

please explain the process...

jkyoho

Aug 4, 2011
toronto
can you please explain the process.
i entered the twrp and advanced and terminal command and went through the shown path yet i didnt see the file "disabled"
he has said to create a file; how could i create a file??

please explain the process...
If you can't normally boot to system, boot to recovery(twrp or some other custom recovery which has file management function)
Try copy a small file like host or something, paste it the that /data/data/dev.*****installer/conf folder and rename it "disabled".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have xposed running on my Nexus 5 lollipop 5.0.1.
    After downloading and enabling a couple modules my phone is now stuck in a bootloop.
    I tried clearing dalvik and cache it didn't help.

Is it possible to disable xposed from recovery?

EDIT: Solved.
    Create a file /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled, which causes Xposed to be bypassed:
    Code:
    flashable zip´s
    ANOTHER METHOD!

Boot into TWRP
    Via the File Manager delete the file /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/modules.list
    Reboot (might optimize apps)
    Open Xposed Installer and disable the offending module (All modules will show as enabled, but won't be as the list was rebuilt upon successful boot)
    Reboot and enjoy!

Only one trip to recovery, and no adb or file copying required!
    what modules you have activated?

Code:
    This is how I quickly enable and disable Xposed over adb whenever I run into a bootloop while working on one of my modules.

Disable Xposed:
    Code:
    adb shell touch /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled
    Enable Xposed:
    Code:
    adb shell "su -c rm /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/conf/disabled"

To trigger a soft reboot you can use:
    Code:
    adb shell su -c stop
    adb shell su -c start

A normal reboot with:
    Code:
    adb reboot

Those commands should work even when your device is in a bootloop (with the exception of a real freeze rather than a bootloop).