Root and downgrade for Android 2.3.4 {Script included - ShiftySonofA script dl added)

Search This thread

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Well, I'm writing this thread because I happily have a root method that doesn't require HTC unlock and you can downgrade to 2.2. Let's get into the information about it:

Required:
ADB
PG06IMG.zip {Downgraded version}
misc.img * {md5sum = c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de}
tacoroot *

*included in zip file

Instructions:
Alright, for this you will need to run the following commands:
Code:
adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/tmp/taco
adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/taco
adb shell sh /data/local/tmp/taco --setup
[COLOR="Red"]YOU NEED TO Hit Vol up + Vol Down + Power all at once after it goes into recovery![/COLOR]
After it reboots type:
Code:
adb shell sh /data/local/tmp/taco --root
and then you use
Code:
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Pull your battery after you check the md5sum of the img by using adb shell md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
and then reboot into hboot to downgrade

Download here

Script Download, features, changelog is in this post
credits:
Misc.img file: OTAKing (Ohai buddeh)
tacoroot: jcase

Last edited:
F

FdxRider

You never cease to amaze young Padawan!! :D

Just imagine If they could of waited a little longer! Lmao!

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Script information:
This one is called ShiftySonOfA
It is basically Fre3atlast rewritten for this with about 3/4ths of it changed. Enjoy.

Download link:
here

Features:
Code:
MD5 Check
Easy to use
Includes all information needed
Offers download for EXE or Zip for RUU back to froyo.
Version Changelog:
Code:
1.0: Initial Release

Last edited:

obe1kobe

Aug 25, 2011
BRIDGEPORT CT
I honestly have a extra shift but have been trying to sell it times are tough at the moment, thing is less then 6 months old and doesn't even get used back in the box mint...
Just don't think I'm comin off as a ****, if I could donate bro I define would just can't afford to...
Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
guys, look on the bright side: If I have a donated shift, I can also try to develop a root for the rom instead of having to downgrade. I already have some ideas but I need to test on latest version. :|

Reactions: gigermunit

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
... I happily have a root method that doesn't require HTC unlock and you can downgrade to 2.2.
Thanks for this! I was able to use the temp root to "adb pull" the entirety of the (kernel visible) flash, as well as the /boot, /system, WiMax, and /data partitions (after remounting r/o). Because of that, after I'd downgraded (which seems really unnecessary JUST to get to a flashable HBoot, but that's another topic), I was able to flash back the new radios and touchscreen firmware (as seen in another thread), then flash the CWM recovery, which let me reflash /system and /data from my previously-unlocked Shift (and Nandroid that for future use, as well). After modifying the stock 2.3.4 /boot to set ro.secure to "0" then flashing that with fastboot, then pushing Superuser.apk and the "su" binary, I was exactly back to where I was before (which was VERY important to me, I didn't want to have to start over from a clean wipe), except now I have root- so I was able to use TiBu to move stuff that was ordinarily marked "Phone Only" to the SD-Card, freeing up some space (which along with how slow this phone is and how little memory it's got are my major gripes with the Shift).

(TL;DR: I now have root and didn't lose anything I had before I started).

It's nice to have the TiBu and Nandroids, too- despite the glowing reviews I read here, I seriously dislike this handset, but I hear there's ROMs out there that make this thing usable. So, now I get to try 'em, and always go back if they're no better after all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I'm writing this thread because I happily have a root method that doesn't require HTC unlock and you can downgrade to 2.2. Let's get into the information about it:

Required:
    ADB
    PG06IMG.zip {Downgraded version}
    misc.img * {md5sum = c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de}
    tacoroot *

*included in zip file

Instructions:
    Alright, for this you will need to run the following commands:
    Code:
    adb push tacoroot.sh /data/local/tmp/taco
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/taco
    adb shell sh /data/local/tmp/taco --setup
    [COLOR="Red"]YOU NEED TO Hit Vol up + Vol Down + Power all at once after it goes into recovery![/COLOR]
    After it reboots type:
    Code:
    adb shell sh /data/local/tmp/taco --root
    and then you use
    Code:
    adb shell dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Pull your battery after you check the md5sum of the img by using adb shell md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    and then reboot into hboot to downgrade

Download here

Script Download, features, changelog is in this post
    credits:
    Misc.img file: OTAKing (Ohai buddeh)
    tacoroot: jcase
    Hello there,

sorry to derail the thread for a second, but I just wanted to let you know this thread has been featured in the XDA Portal.

Link:
    http://www.xda-developers.com/android/htc-evo-shift-h-boot-downgrade-method/

Keep up the awesome work :)
    Anyone think we can get this stickied? It's pretty important. :|

Done.

EDIT: I've created a single sticky which links to all other stickies. We had about 6 so it needed to be tidied up.
    You all know I'm still here, right? :p

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium
    I dont remember doing any of this the last time I had to root my friends evo shift. Where is this PG06IMG.zip I need? This threads 'sooo helpful'
    why has there still not been a one click method? ugh, I feel bad for my friend stuck with this phone

I feel bad for your friend as well, but not because of his phone.