Android timezone change alters calendar times please vote

Search This thread

rsommerv

Feb 23, 2007
I was very disappointed to see that the android calendar has the same behaviour as the one on windows mobile in that if you change timezones then all your calendar appointments change by the difference between your previous and current timezone. I think this is an insane implementation and can't see any use to it.

It has been raised as an issue on the google android project so if you hate it as much as I do please vote for the issue by starring it and/or leave a comment asking for it to be high priority

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5892

krheinwald

Jun 30, 2008
I don't understand the problem. The current implementation is exactly right. If the appointment times wouldn't change, your appointment would actually be shifted.

Are you having some special use case for your request?

rsommerv

Feb 23, 2007
I don't understand the problem. The current implementation is exactly right. If the appointment times wouldn't change, your appointment would actually be shifted.

Are you having some special use case for your request?

Say I am sitting here at home in Zurich and I am making entries for a trip to the US in multiple timezones, for each entry I put in my appointment times in local time, say a meeting at 3pm in NY.

I land in NY, take out the phone and it automatically switches to the NY timezone but the calendar is displaying the meeting now as 9am, thats useless, I want it to stick as 3pm, nor do I want to have to check the timezone for NY before I put the appointment in. When I travel I live in local time regardless of what timezone it is.

tpryde

Aug 23, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Same issues

I really have no idea why Google would do this. I mean you are exactly right, I input all meetnig time as timezone specific. Anyone that has any ideas on a solution would be appreciated? Thanks.

TjPhysicist

Dec 23, 2007
What you are supposed to do is create a calendar called "AMerican meetings" and one called "chinese meetings" lets say. the former will be set to former's time zone and the latter as whatever time zone china uses. IN this case when u create an event, it will use whatever is set on the web site/settings as the default for that calendar. BUT, the calendar itself will display whatever is set as the global "local time zone" on both the phone as well as the website (you can use the multiple time zone add on via labs for help with this too)...

Last edited:

realn

Dec 30, 2005
Craziest thing

I have the same problem, except it took me an hour to find out what was going on, since I thought it was because of the Daylight Saving Time which just happened yesterday.

So - to reproduce the problem:
1) Set the timezone to TZ1
2) Create calendar event at time HH:MM
3) Set timezone to TZ2
Result - calendar event is shifted.
Whoever implemented this should quit his job and hide in the most forgotten place on earth. I mean - WTF?
I understand SOME use of this - I create a calendar event that I want to share with someone from another TZ, then it should be translated to that TZ, but again - WTF??
Most of the users need just this: I create an event - a flight schedule for coming back from vacation. I create it before going on vacation, then I go on vacation and change the TZ. On the return day my alarm will ring x hours after the intended time (if vacation place is eastwards) or x hours before if vacation place is westwards. INSANE

realn

Dec 30, 2005