Marshmallow update woes (Please post here for watches stuck on the M logo)

Search This thread
Attempted to update via bluetooth, gave up on that pretty much as my 360 kept crashing. I read on the forum somewhere that it's easier to do Wifi updates so i put the watch in airplane mode and connected to my AP, the download went all the way and finished then it asked me if i wanted to reboot after applying it. I did so and now it's stuck on the Motorola logo. I've read that if you let the battery drain completely your watch may reboot but this is a firmware update. Is this bricked or is there a way to reset it? I think the update did apply as when i attempt to go into bootloader it says 952 rather than 940.

Update 3/4/16 - I just wanted everyone to know that Moto did make my issue right. If you don't want to mess with trying to build a flash cable, give them a call. It'll take some time but they will take care of you.

Last edited:

bobbyricha

I'm stuck on the Moto logo also.

This morning when I took the watch off the charger, I was offered the update. I accepted and went about my business. When I got to work, I noticed the watch was off. I placed it on my charger, and I can't get past the logo.

It should be charged fully. I performed resets several times (holding the button for ~30 seconds, then power on). Got into bootloader and out again. Still nothing.

The watch has been stable - all I did was took it off the charger and accepted the update and now I am stuck. Bricked?

This is the question of the century. What i did was chat Moto support and the tech walked me through some basic troubleshooting but nothing. He then tried to tell me since it's out of warranty that i have to go to a third party to get it repaired, which I promptly said BS to. I got to his supervisor who is escalating my case to their Level 3 hardware support who will contact me back.

Reactions: avlon

avlon

May 1, 2009
Pretty much the same story here. Had the watch on the charger, and saw the update. Hit ok, and everything seemed to go smoothly. left the room, and came back about 20 min later and noticed that the watch was off. Put it back on the charger, and left again for 20 min. Came back and its still on the M logo.

Take it off the charger and it shuts off, leave it on the charger and it stays stuck on M. This is beyond annoying.

bobbyricha

Pretty much the same story here. Had the watch on the charger, and saw the update. Hit ok, and everything seemed to go smoothly. left the room, and came back about 20 min later and noticed that the watch was off. Put it back on the charger, and left again for 20 min. Came back and its still on the M logo.

Take it off the charger and it shuts off, leave it on the charger and it stays stuck on M. This is beyond annoying.

And its going to be hard to run the battery down if it shuts off when you remove it from the charger. Same issue here.

avlon

May 1, 2009
I was just thinking about that. how long does it take for this watch to lose its charge if it won't turn on?

Making the watch only turn on by attaching it to the charger was a terrible design choice.

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
Same story here. My (2 years old) watch is stuck on the M logo after Marshmallow update, I tried everything and no luck.

It worked perfectly before and I really didn't plan to get another one until the technology matures. But I guess now I have an excuse to get a Samsung Gear S2 (I do like the Tizen OS). It's clear to me that Motorola will never be on my list again. The update process should be the safest thing on the watch.

I guess as a last resort I will have to buy an USB adapter for the Moto 360 from eBay and try to do something via debugger.

F U Motorola !

Last edited:

ATL-android-user

Oct 27, 2010
Sad Moto

Same thing happened to mine. Started the updated. Watch turned off. When I turned back on, it's stuck on the M. Long press reboot, let the battery drain twice, no luck. I'll call MOTO today when I get home if for no other reason to report the same problem.

Mine is one of the original 360s. Ordered on launch day. Wonder if there's a subtle hardware tweak that the old hardware doesn't work right.

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
Anyone had any luck with this ? I played with the watch all day and couldn't get it running.

Big-A-Rob

Aug 11, 2010
Seattle, Wa
Downloaded the update overnight, installed this morning and now it boots, starts upgrading the apps, shuts off. Yay, fun with Android updates!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

johnconnors

Feb 12, 2016
My Update was successful

Attempted to update via bluetooth, gave up on that pretty much as my 360 kept crashing. I read on the forum somewhere that it's easier to do Wifi updates so i put the watch in airplane mode and connected to my AP, the download went all the way and finished then it asked me if i wanted to reboot after applying it. I did so and now it's stuck on the Motorola logo. I've read that if you let the battery drain completely your watch may reboot but this is a firmware update. Is this bricked or is there a way to reset it? I think the update did apply as when i attempt to go into bootloader it says 952 rather than 940.

My update went through fine. I have been taking all the software updates since I bought the device couple of years ago.

Couple of things to check here :

1. Did you try rooting the device before? I had some issues with software updates when I rooted my Nexus devices.

2. Press and hold the power key for more than 40 seconds, let it power off completely and place the device on charger. Does that help?

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
My update went through fine. I have been taking all the software updates since I bought the device couple of years ago.

Couple of things to check here :

1. Did you try rooting the device before? I had some issues with software updates when I rooted my Nexus devices.

2. Press and hold the power key for more than 40 seconds, let it power off completely and place the device on charger. Does that help?

1. Never tried that, it is probably too hard anyway, given the connector needed.

2. No, nothing like this is working.

I suspect a flood of support requests at Motorola. This can't be an isolated issue, this thread has over 500 views in a few hours.

johnconnors

Feb 12, 2016
1. Never tried that, it is probably too hard anyway, given the connector needed.

2. No, nothing like this is working.

I suspect a flood of support requests at Motorola. This can't be an isolated issue, this thread has over 500 views in a few hours.

Looking back at your original post, I realized you said your bootloader went from 940 to 952. When I just checked my bootloader version, it showed 954. Makes me suspect if your update was not to Marshmallow but to the earlier release.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

I'm stuck on the Moto logo also.

This morning when I took the watch off the charger, I was offered the update. I accepted and went about my business. When I got to work, I noticed the watch was off. I placed it on my charger, and I can't get past the logo.

It should be charged fully. I performed resets several times (holding the button for ~30 seconds, then power on). Got into bootloader and out again. Still nothing.

The watch has been stable - all I did was took it off the charger and accepted the update and now I am stuck. Bricked?

When you went into the bootloader, what was the bootloader version? If you had gotten the Marshmallow update, it should be 954. My update was successful and it I just checked my bootloader version. It went from 952 to 954.

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
Looking back at your original post, I realized you said your bootloader went from 940 to 952. When I just checked my bootloader version, it showed 954. Makes me suspect if your update was not to Marshmallow but to the earlier release

Please...it was the Marshmallow update, before updating the watch displayed a message "charge your watch to update to version [marshmallow_firmware_identifier]".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the question of the century. What i did was chat Moto support and the tech walked me through some basic troubleshooting but nothing. He then tried to tell me since it's out of warranty that i have to go to a third party to get it repaired, which I promptly said BS to. I got to his supervisor who is escalating my case to their Level 3 hardware support who will contact me back.
    Looks like Moto has some recovery procedure in their forum.

1. Power off device by holding power key for more than 15 seconds
    2. With device off, press and hold power key. Keep holding after the initial vibrate until it vibrates 2 more times then let go. Takes about 5 seconds.
    3. Device should come up in a black/white text screen and show Bootloader Version:954
    4. Boot of this screen should dhow: Boot Mode: Normal Mode
    5. Click power key to cycle the boot mode until it shows: Boot Mode Recover Mode
    6. Press the power key for about 1 second to boot into recovery mode
    7. Device will boot in recovery mode with dead android
    8. swipe up/down on the screen to see Recovery mode UI
    9. swipe down to select "wipe data/factory reset" option
    10. Swipe left to select the option
    11. Swipe down to select "yes"
    12. Swipe left to select
    13. The uI will show wiping data screen
    14. The device will come back to recovery mode ui
    15. Swipe left to select the reboot option

Has anyone tried this?

My bootloader is 952. Button press gives reboot, nothing else. Please post the forum link.
    I tried to make an USB cable today, but it is very unstable (I did get it to connect to the computer a few times) and in the end I think I fried my computer's USB port. Basically, if you have a good cable, it works.

So basically I now have a dead smartwatch and a damaged computer. I think I'll just throw both out and start over...too much effort for this.
    Oddly enough, mine seems stable after leaving on the dock all night. I haven't tried turning on by power button yet but it's running marshmallow. There's a bug where watchfaces aren't drawn completely until the next second. Other than that, everything seems fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    haven't even gotten my moto 360 yet but my question is, do we HAVE to take the marshmallow update?

You cannot remove the notification from the screen so unless you want to live with the notification forever, yes you must update it.