My Android OS drain culprit -

Search This thread

reidar.ostrem

Sep 4, 2006
Sandnes
Last night before i went to bed, I killed "wifi sharing" and "wifi sharing manager" , I had wifi, blu-tooth and gps disabled , also mobile data turned off , I have black wallpaper , animations turned off and brightness at the lowest level.

My battery was at 58% , when i got up this morning it was at 10% :eek: , how did i loose 48% in 8 hours , I checked all my power history and nothing stands out, i also checked watchdogs log same again nothing.

It looks like killing "wifi sharing" and or "wifi sharing manager" was a bad idea.

If you are using official facebook app, try to see if that keeps your phone awake while you have network services disabled... Mine was keeping my phone awake all night.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Any app that has to keep a active mobile connection for weather and other updates will use more battery power, It`s a shame with have to disable all the bells and whistles on this phone to get even reasonable battery life :mad:

sumeshd

Nov 5, 2010
Mumbai
Any app that has to keep a active mobile connection for weather and other updates will use more battery power, It`s a shame with have to disable all the bells and whistles on this phone to get even reasonable battery life :mad:

same here..cant use it like a "smartphone"
i am more concentrated on saving battery then using the phone..lol
cant enjoy it..:(

dfube

Sep 9, 2010
I can't believe how some apps can ruin your phone. I was at 63% last night and I woke up to 5% battery. My screen was on all night apparently. 69% screen...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

ivan552

Oct 28, 2008
have 2 i9100, bought in UK, use Opera mini, best phone/battery I ever had. Use
opera mini all day for trading, 1 hr daily video working out, 60% battery left every evening, tried every custom rom in this forum. I do eliminate all facebooks, etc from rom

szav

Oct 1, 2010
Edit: just so u know that that the process irq/325-k3g is causing the android os issue. Once again this process is only visible in the free app osmonitor. I let it run wild for couple of hours and it drained my battery excessively and also made android os go up to 50% battery usage. So it seems the culprit for the android os drain is process irq/325-k3g.

The process is just showing consumption when the drain happens and NOT all the time. So if u see your battery dropping quickly have a look to see if the process is consuming CPU . /Edit

Right, so ive observed lately that when my battery starts dropping % quickly that a process called irq/k325-k3g is consuming a lot of CPU.

This is only visible with the app osmonitor under process.

This randomly happens and seems to be triggered by the stock browser.

If the process kicks up it won't stop on its own, I can't stop that process in osmonitor and thus causing excessive battery drain cause it continousely uses cpu. The only way to stop this process is by killing internet (browser.apk).

I had the same problem on all roms I've tried so maybe someone else suffering from this find this helpful.

This doesn't solve the root of the problem but atleast its a temp fix.

Any feedback appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
I'm very glad to find this thread , you have the same opinion with me. Cause I really do not understand why on all the ROM but Android OS still drain battery suck a lot with each others ( Battery usage). I tried deleting Internet (browser.apk) as you say. Unfortunately,Android OS still running and sucking my battery look like normal :( .

Digital1325

Apr 29, 2010
I too had horrible battery drain. Un installed NoLED and now my battery seems to be more on par with my iphone 4. Also have the brightness set to around 10%.

blue265

Jan 31, 2011
Toronto
My Android OS culprit is definitely Wi-Fi. Even with Wi-fi sharing and wi-fi sharing manager frozen, my android OS goes crazy when wi-fi is left on. Once I turn off Wi-fi when not in uses, the Android OS usage goes down fast. If I leave my phone in EDGE overnight, I lose 1-2% battery life for 8 hours which is really good.

I suggest you guys with Android OS issue to test it. Turn off wi-fi when the phone is at 100% charge and see where Android OS is after a while. It should be 10-20% and not causing any drain. Then charge it again, leave the phone on wi-fi and see where android OS is after a little bit. It only takes 15 minutes of testing and you'll see what I mean. I strongly believe the core issue is the wifi driver and is causing the drain as is the case with Nexus S on 2.3.3

Locster126

Feb 13, 2011
LONDON
I'm very glad to find this thread , you have the same opinion with me. Cause I really do not understand why on all the ROM but Android OS still drain battery suck a lot with each others ( Battery usage). I tried deleting Internet (browser.apk) as you say. Unfortunately,Android OS still running and sucking my battery look like normal :( .

Well I'm not 100% sure its to do with the broswer, it might just be one of many things that can trigger it.

Anyways I found out that the process 325-k3g is maybe related to the gyroscope sensor as its called k3g. Which means it might be triggered through motions, hardware accelaration or whatnot.

All people suffering from android os bug, do u have motion menu activated?

wesley1966

Jul 29, 2010
Locster126

Thanks for the battery mod. If you add the CRT animation from Villain Tweaks it overwrites your mod. Any way round this?

porkchop8

Jun 1, 2011
finally its working. I got a 1% drain overnight (7 hours). I decided to reflash/wipe/clear everything last night. I am on LitePro 1.4. I still have a few apps/games to install but they should be ok. I have a feeling it might be Chainfire 3D thats causing the constant AWAKE but hopefully its not.

These are my instructions

• Boot in Recovery Mode
  • Wipe Dalvik Cache
  • Wipe Battery Stats
  • Wipe data/factory reset
  • Reboot System
  • Change Language
  • Date and Time - unticked 24h format
  • Touch Android
  • Set up your Google Account - Signing in
  • Disabled Allow Google's Location & Use My Location
  • Disabled Restore from my Google Account and Keep this device backed up
  • Selected TwLauncher as default
  • Cancelled - Motion disabled
  • Disabled Data Network
  • Display - Lowered Brightness
  • Display - Unticked Automatic brightness
  • Display - No animations
  • Display - Screen timeout - 1min
  • Display - Touch key light duration - 6 secs
  • Display - Unticked Auto adjust screen power
  • Display - Horizontal calibration
  • Display - Gyro sensor calibration
  • Display - Clock Position - middle
  • Applications - Ticked Unknown sources
  • Sounds - Vibration - Always
  • Sounds - Audible touch tones - disabled
  • Sounds - Screen lock sounds - disabled
  • Sounds - Haptic feedback - disabled
  • Reboot
  • WiFi - Turn on WiFi
  • WiFi - Logged onto home network
  • WiFi - Network notification - disabled
  • Format USB Storage
  • Used 'My Files' to check MicroSD files are still there
  • Shutdown
  • Used USB Jig to remove counter and yellow triangle
  • Turn On Phone
  • USB debugging - enabled
  • **** App - Titanium Backup
  • Changed Wallpaper
  • Changed Lockscreen wallpaper
  • Load Market
  • Market - Settings - Do not notify
  • Market - Settings - Show All
  • Market - Google Maps - update
  • Google Maps - Disabled auto update
  • Setting up homescreen and apps screen
  • Assigned Ringtones
  • Added Contacts
  • Installed
  • App - Facebook 1.54
  • App - Root Explorer
  • App - Flashlight
  • App - Wireless Tether
  • App - Software Data Cable
  • App - Zedge Ringtones and Wallpapers
  • App - Angry Birds
  • App - Angry Birds Rio
  • App - Angry Birds Seasons
  • App - Angry Birds Lite
  • App - Startup Manager
  • App - Advanced Task Killer
  • Modified Startup
  • Modified Task Killer
  • Charged Phone til 100% and wiped battery status in Recovery mode

**** Titanium Backup (apps and processes i froze)
  • AccuWeather
  • All Share 2.0
  • Android Live Wallpapers
  • AP Mobile
  • Bluetooth Share 2.3.3
  • Buddies Now 1.0
  • ChocoEUKor
  • Clock 1.0
  • com.orange.authentication.simcard.permission 1.0
  • com.samsung.app.playreadyui
  • com.sec.android.app.lcdtest
  • com.sec.android.app.samsungapps.una
  • Days 1.0
  • Dual Clock 1.0
  • Email 1.0
  • Email 3.0.0.1
  • Factory Test 1.0
  • FM Radio 2.3.3
  • GameHub 1.0.0
  • Google Calendar Sync
  • Google Contacts Sync
  • Google Partner Setup
  • Helv Neue S 1.0
  • Home screen tips 1.0
  • HTML Viewer 2.3.3
  • IMETracker 2.3.3
  • Kies Air 11.04.15.1
  • Kies via Wi-Fi 1.2.0
  • Kobo
  • LauncherPro 0.8.5
  • Let's try panning! 1.0
  • Microbes 2.3.3
  • Mobile tracker 1.0
  • Music Hub 11.05.25.01
  • News & Weather 1.3.04
  • Ocean weather 1.0
  • Pico TTS 1.0
  • Program Monitor 1.12
  • Readers Hub 11.03.24.01
  • Samsung Account 1.0
  • Samsung Apps 2.5.044
  • Search Applications Provider 2.3.3
  • SNS 1.5
  • SNS disclaimer 1.0
  • SNSAccountFb 1.0
  • SNSAccountLi 1.0
  • SNSAccountMs 1.0
  • SNSAccountTw 1.0
  • SNSImageCache 1.0
  • Social Hub 2.00.00001
  • Social Hub 7.52.10101
  • Software update 2.0.0
  • Talk 1.3
  • Voice Commands 2.7.0
  • VPN Services
  • Wi-Fi Sharing 1.0
  • Wi-Fi sharing manager 1.0
  • Windy Weather 1.0
  • wipeoutreceiver 1.0
  • WlanTest 1.0.0
  • Yahoo Finance 11.05.25.01
  • Zinio Reader 1.0.0309

Last edited:
Reactions: Pumbi

vansmuk

Dec 12, 2009
Stockholm
great work, porkchop. u got a 500 euro phone and turned it into nokia 3310. i'd be surprised if ur battery doesn't last for a week.
come on fellas. the guy was actually on to something with this bonkers process that may be eating out batt's for breakfast and u filled his thread with ur useless "my battery lasts" posts.
Locster dude, hope ur still trying to get some results on that little asspiece of a process. if u need somwn to test settings and compare results with, drop me some letters. let's smoke that mother ****er ;)

CandyAndy

Jul 29, 2009
+1 to bahkata. What is the point of having this greatest phone ever if you just disable all the functionality? I think it is ok if I have to recharge every night, that is not a biggie for me. The problem is that even when idling this phone is killing the battery before the noon. And that is what we have to try to figure out here because it is not normal behavious.

porkchop8

Jun 1, 2011
The functions i disabled are functions i will not use. The only thing i might ever use is the WIFI sharing.
An update since this morning. So 18 hours on my phone is sitting at 92%.
  • tested bluetooth with car audio to see if it works after freezing bt. phone connected to car audio then i disabled it
  • 1 x 5min call
  • read 1 sms
  • sent 1 sms
  • checked battery usage settings twice throughout the day
  • checked time about 15 times (on lockscreen then locked phone)
  • checked facebook for 1 min

I didnt use much of the phone today but compared to stock KE7 and first time round of flashing to LitePRO 1.4 KF1, my phone would have been about 45-50% by this time.

Vairn

May 27, 2011
If the process is related to the gyro.and appears in the stock browser, then I am about 90% certain it is related to the rotate the device to,zoom in out,etc. I have done alot of work on an iphone app that used its gyro, and it really eats battery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

szav

Oct 1, 2010
Each has a different usage. Maybe He turn off those apps cause he think it unnecessary to him. But the problem is issue Android OS drainning battery is not necessary and beneficial, unreasonable, so we must find ways to fix it .

Well I'm not 100% sure its to do with the broswer, it might just be one of many things that can trigger it.

Anyways I found out that the process 325-k3g is maybe related to the gyroscope sensor as its called k3g. Which means it might be triggered through motions, hardware accelaration or whatnot.

All people suffering from android os bug, do u have motion menu activated?

No . I have disable it but Android OS still dranning . I'm looking for this . Hope it's can help us :( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1128135

kaassema

May 11, 2011
finally its working. I got a 1% drain overnight (7 hours). I decided to reflash/wipe/clear everything last night. I am on LitePro 1.4. I still have a few apps/games to install but they should be ok. I have a feeling it might be Chainfire 3D thats causing the constant AWAKE but hopefully its not.

• Boot in Recovery Mode
  • Wipe Dalvik Cache
  • Wipe Battery Stats
  • Reboot System
  • Change Language
  • Touch Android
  • Disabled Data Network
  • Reboot
  • WiFi - Turn on WiFi
  • Format USB Storage
  • Shutdown
  • Turn On Phone
  • Changed Wallpaper
  • Load Market
  • Assigned Ringtones
  • Added Contacts
  • Installed
  • App - Facebook 1.54
  • App - Root Explorer
  • App - Flashlight
  • App - Wireless Tether
  • App - Angry Birds
  • App - Angry Birds Rio
  • App - Angry Birds Lite
  • App - Startup Manager
  • Modified Startup
  • Modified Task Killer

• AccuWeather
  • All Share 2.0
  • AP Mobile
  • Bluetooth Share 2.3.3
  • Buddies Now 1.0
  • Calendar Storage 1.1
  • ChocoEUKor
  • Clock 1.0
  • Days 1.0
  • Dual Clock 1.0
  • Email 1.0
  • Email 3.0.0.1
  • Factory Test 1.0
  • FM Radio 2.3.3
  • GameHub 1.0.0
  • Google Calendar Sync
  • Google Contacts Sync
  • Google Partner Setup
  • Helv Neue S 1.0
  • Home screen tips 1.0
  • HTML Viewer 2.3.3
  • IMETracker 2.3.3
  • Kies Air 11.04.15.1
  • Kies via Wi-Fi 1.2.0
  • Kobo
  • LauncherPro 0.8.5
  • Let's try panning! 1.0
  • Microbes 2.3.3
  • Mobile tracker 1.0
  • Music Hub 11.05.25.01
  • News & Weather 1.3.04
  • Ocean weather 1.0
  • Pico TTS 1.0
  • Program Monitor 1.12
  • Samsung Account 1.0
  • Samsung Apps 2.5.044
  • SNS 1.5
  • SNS disclaimer 1.0
  • SNSAccountFb 1.0
  • SNSAccountLi 1.0
  • SNSAccountMs 1.0
  • SNSAccountTw 1.0
  • SNSImageCache 1.0
  • Social Hub 2.00.00001
  • Social Hub 7.52.10101
  • Software update 2.0.0
  • Talk 1.3
  • Voice Commands 2.7.0
  • VPN Services
  • Wi-Fi Sharing 1.0
  • Windy Weather 1.0
  • wipeoutreceiver 1.0
  • WlanTest 1.0.0
  • Zinio Reader 1.0.0309

Yeah that's about how I fixed it

Reactions: Tsais

Tsais

Jun 20, 2011
great work, porkchop. u got a 500 euro phone and turned it into nokia 3310. i'd be surprised if ur battery doesn't last for a week.
come on fellas. the guy was actually on to something with this bonkers process that may be eating out batt's for breakfast and u filled his thread with ur useless "my battery lasts" posts.
Locster dude, hope ur still trying to get some results on that little asspiece of a process. if u need somwn to test settings and compare results with, drop me some letters. let's smoke that mother ****er ;)

-1 for thinking other people should have priorities that match your personal preference.

Disabling a crapload of always-on battery and connectivity suckers does not turn your smartphone into a nokia 3310. It makes for a good joke, but its completely false. Constant updating of everything is mainly just good for advertisers and total FB addicts, or people that compulsively check email every 30 seconds.

Different people use their phones differently.

I make little use of all the background stuff that comes pre-installed, I don't even talk on the phone much. I use other software that wouldn't run on a Nokia 3310, but its software that only runs when I start it. I don't need my phone to be an electronic leash.

For me personally, occasional phone calls, a to-do list, dictation, sketching, audio playback, camera, ebook reading and sometimes video playback are the core functionality of my phone. For none of these functions that matter to me is there any need for all that background byte-swapping stuff.

News push services and Facebook auto-updating make me want to throw up. My phone spends as much time as possible in Airplane mode with all radios turned off. Its more like a small computer I can occasionally use for calling someone, but otherwise its for me to use alone, not to inteface with an illusory world of bits and bytes that want to be exchanged constantly.

I store everything on SD-Cards, so its also available when there is no connection.

Sadly, this is also why I'm prevented from buying the latest Google Nexus devices, because they come without card slots in what looks like a misguided effort by Google to force us into even more constant data transfer.

There is another reason besides battery drain not to overindulge in running all the radios on your phone needlessly:

Watch Beings of Frequency on Youtube

Something I wish more people would wake up to and not blindly trust corporate controlled governments and mainstream media.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I was taking a walk the other day. Saw a woman standing infront of a building, looking this way and that... when I passed by her, she stopped me and asked me where a certain house number might be. She kept saying "my maps app said its right here!" pointing at the phone.

She hadn't thought of walking up or down the street in one direction or another, to find out if house numbers were increasing or decreasing, she just stood there like a zombie in disbelief that the address wasn't exactly where her phone said it should be.

I find this to be a rather cautionary incident. She was young and did not have stupid written on her forehead, but still, I had to tell her to go look for rising or declining house numbers to figure out the right direction to walk in.

Don't let your phone do everything for you! I have never yet had a reason to turn on my GPS, I can find stuff myself. I would turn it on if I ever got lost, but so far, checking the time and the position of the sun is doing just fine for me in case I got turned around somehow.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry guys, this thread is about some rogue system process that causes battery drain, possible triggered by the browser, very specific issue.

so please lets not turn this into a typical "my battery is bad/good" thread.

Last night before i went to bed, I killed "wifi sharing" and "wifi sharing manager" , I had wifi, blu-tooth and gps disabled , also mobile data turned off , I have black wallpaper , animations turned off and brightness at the lowest level.

My battery was at 58% , when i got up this morning it was at 10% :eek: , how did i loose 48% in 8 hours , I checked all my power history and nothing stands out, i also checked watchdogs log same again nothing.

It looks like killing "wifi sharing" and or "wifi sharing manager" was a bad idea.

Killing the proc does nothing. They can simply restart. you need to FREEZE the sharing using something like titanium back. This makes it unavailable to the system and has made a HUGE difference to my battery life.

Next install something like SystemPanel. Its a great tool for monitoring your currently top apps and keep a history of battery useage etc. Really helped me track down my cpu drains, now when doing nothing the phone sits at 200Mhz and uses < 5% cpu.
    Its only showing under processes consuming CPU when its actively draining battery.

Make sure u sort process list by load and descending so its easier to see when something is consuming CPU

• Boot in Recovery Mode
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache
    • Wipe Battery Stats
    • Reboot System
    • Change Language
    • Touch Android
    • Disabled Data Network
    • Reboot
    • WiFi - Turn on WiFi
    • Format USB Storage
    • Shutdown
    • Turn On Phone
    • Changed Wallpaper
    • Load Market
    • Assigned Ringtones
    • Added Contacts
    • Installed
    • App - Facebook 1.54
    • App - Root Explorer
    • App - Flashlight
    • App - Wireless Tether
    • App - Angry Birds
    • App - Angry Birds Rio
    • App - Angry Birds Lite
    • App - Startup Manager
    • Modified Startup
    • Modified Task Killer

• AccuWeather
    • All Share 2.0
    • AP Mobile
    • Bluetooth Share 2.3.3
    • Buddies Now 1.0
    • ChocoEUKor
    • Clock 1.0
    • Days 1.0
    • Dual Clock 1.0
    • Email 1.0
    • Email 3.0.0.1
    • Factory Test 1.0
    • FM Radio 2.3.3
    • GameHub 1.0.0
    • Google Calendar Sync
    • Google Contacts Sync
    • Google Partner Setup
    • Helv Neue S 1.0
    • Home screen tips 1.0
    • HTML Viewer 2.3.3
    • IMETracker 2.3.3
    • Kies Air 11.04.15.1
    • Kies via Wi-Fi 1.2.0
    • Kobo
    • LauncherPro 0.8.5
    • Let's try panning! 1.0
    • Microbes 2.3.3
    • Mobile tracker 1.0
    • Music Hub 11.05.25.01
    • News & Weather 1.3.04
    • Ocean weather 1.0
    • Pico TTS 1.0
    • Program Monitor 1.12
    • Samsung Account 1.0
    • Samsung Apps 2.5.044
    • SNS 1.5
    • SNS disclaimer 1.0
    • SNSAccountFb 1.0
    • SNSAccountLi 1.0
    • SNSAccountMs 1.0
    • SNSAccountTw 1.0
    • SNSImageCache 1.0
    • Social Hub 2.00.00001
    • Social Hub 7.52.10101
    • Software update 2.0.0
    • Talk 1.3
    • Voice Commands 2.7.0
    • VPN Services
    • Wi-Fi Sharing 1.0
    • Windy Weather 1.0
    • wipeoutreceiver 1.0
    • WlanTest 1.0.0
    • Zinio Reader 1.0.0309

• Boot in Recovery Mode
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache
    • Wipe Battery Stats
    • Reboot System
    • Change Language
    • Touch Android
    • Disabled Data Network
    • Reboot
    • WiFi - Turn on WiFi
    • Format USB Storage
    • Shutdown
    • Turn On Phone
    • Changed Wallpaper
    • Load Market
    • Assigned Ringtones
    • Added Contacts
    • Installed
    • App - Facebook 1.54
    • App - Root Explorer
    • App - Flashlight
    • App - Wireless Tether
    • App - Angry Birds
    • App - Angry Birds Rio
    • App - Angry Birds Lite
    • App - Startup Manager
    • Modified Startup
    • Modified Task Killer

• AccuWeather
    • All Share 2.0
    • AP Mobile
    • Bluetooth Share 2.3.3
    • Buddies Now 1.0
    • Calendar Storage 1.1
    • ChocoEUKor
    • Clock 1.0