Keyboard Folio Case for Acer Iconia Tab A500 Arrives and Works

Search This thread

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
Just got this so only some quick feedback right now -
I received this today after waiting 3-4 weeks for it to arrive from overseas. For $20 I was skeptical BUT after arriving I am actually pretty pleased.

Pros -
It actually works well. Very responsive and no real delay in typing
It looks pretty good and is not that thick.
The material looks reasonably nice and material does not seem inexpensive which was surprising
They sent an additional larger metal stylus with a soft tip. Very nice.
All of the keys seem to work, with the exception of the "windows" key that I never expected to work. I have not tested out the F keys but will in the coming days.
USB plug plugs in nicely and really not that noticeable.
Nice kickstand to hold up tablet at a good angle.

Cons -
Only one real one and that is that there is no top tab to hold the tablet in if turned upside down that way. The tablet can and will slide out. I see this as a problem for many, but not for me as I will simply hold it upright whenever carrying.
I think I might be able to retrofit something to act as a type tab and I will look into that in the coming days.

I plan to do a full review and take additional pictures and video.

folio1.jpg

folio2.jpg

N

nytrojen

I do find it amusing that it has a windows key on it. Would be better still if it was bluetooth so the USB port was freed up

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
i am using the folio keyboard to make this rely and it is working perfectly still, even on the net. I agree about the port thing and if Acer would ever make a bluetooth keyboard folio like apple and the xoom have it would be great - but not yet.
I am now looking at the adapter to make the micro port a normal usb port or a simple small usb splitter for the normal usb port. either way this is pretty nice to use the keyboard versus the onscreen keyboard.

I will add this - i do not know what the F keys are for on the keypad because again those are normally Windows functions and this is obviously not running on a windows machine.
also the keypad is a little smaller then normal so does take some getting used to , but if you are used to typing on a blackberry or mobile phone this is way way larger so not to hard to get the hang of it

Reactions: android01

lechuckthepirate

Nov 9, 2009
Barcelona
Damn I can't buy it from spain... and they've raised the price to $33

Gonna try in eBay spain.. but I'm afraid it won't be available...

Could you give me any information about the maker? Website... or anything?

Thanks!

Last edited:

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
From the Ebay listing I posted above - Try emailing them directly about this item

Our customer service email:bigeyestore4471092@gmail.com

Leather Case Keyboard For 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500

New arrival Synthetic Leather Case Keyboard fit with 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500(not design)

1.Kickstand design and High Quality

2.With keyboard by USB connect

3.Left right open type case design

4.Offers all round protection

5.Easily insert and remove

6.With pen loop, water proof keyboard

7.Anti-dust, impact protective and tear resistant

8.Slim and Secure fit, intergrated keyboard and leather case 2 in 1

9.Ultra high quality construction and switching

10.OEM or universal packing

11.Color: Black

Note:Bracuse of Acer Iconia Tab A500 use android ,and the Number lock and screen lock do not with Acer tab A500.But it does not affect the normal use of the keyboard.

Package:

1X Leather Case Keyboard For 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500

1 x a gift (A stylus for 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500)

Reactions: android01

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
i was looking at this case on amazon. price is about the same. but the reviews were... Really bad :/

I agree - saw the same thing, but took a chance at only $30 and it works really well. I am typing this reply to you on it - no delays, the keyboard works great. Sure some of the windows related buttons don't work but that is fine. It makes typing soooooooooo much easier and it looks pretty nice.

gh123man

I agree - saw the same thing, but took a chance at only $30 and it works really well. I am typing this reply to you on it - no delays, the keyboard works great. Sure some of the windows related buttons don't work but that is fine. It makes typing soooooooooo much easier and it looks pretty nice.

thanks for letting me know. im seriously thinking about getting it.

Sledutah

Apr 13, 2007
Utah
Wow, that looks nice. Think I'll order one from Amazon, it's about the same price after shipping ($35).
Thanks for the review.

frankfurtjoe

Jun 1, 2009
hi TV, let me know what method you end up on to stop the acer falling out the top. so far used this quite a lot and given its price i still think it is a useful piece of kit. certanly makes my typing a lot quicker.. Now looking at a mouse pad to add to the set up and i will have a perfect little Netbook :)
;
dit; at the moment i ahve a couple of pieces of cardboard stuffed down the abck to keep it a little more secure :)

Last edited:

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
hi TV, let me know what method you end up on to stop the acer falling out the top. so far used this quite a lot and given its price i still think it is a useful piece of kit. certanly makes my typing a lot quicker.. Now looking at a mouse pad to add to the set up and i will have a perfect little Netbook :)
;
dit; at the moment i ahve a couple of pieces of cardboard stuffed down the abck to keep it a little more secure :)

Here is what I did - I have a heavy thick oversized rubber band that I put around the case when it is closed. I found a black one that matches the color (almost) of the case material. I put it around and over the top so it wont slide out that way.

I also ALWAYS carry it with the latch side up.

How are you going to add the mouse? Are you going to get a splitter for the USB port?

frankfurtjoe

Jun 1, 2009
i see that the band would do the trick quite well, certainly you need to be holding it with the latch shut otherwise - bye bye acer :). i think i see this as a reasonable way forward, the keyboard is for me far better than the soft when i can use it, bu ti also want to be able to slip the acer out and carry it when i need., i guess i will add a Skinomi tyoe skin to it for the protection it needs wehn it is running free.

re the mouse, is a bit expnesive but i a still looking at something like this:

http://www.ergonomictouchpad.com/eu/tablettouchpads.com/

and for the USB i though a micro hub similar to this might do the trick.

http://cgi.ebay.de/DICOTA-MICRO-USB...39?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3f0c0c64a7

TVDinner

Nov 28, 2008
NC
www.thebiggestboards.com
i see that the band would do the trick quite well, certainly you need to be holding it with the latch shut otherwise - bye bye acer :). i think i see this as a reasonable way forward, the keyboard is for me far better than the soft when i can use it, bu ti also want to be able to slip the acer out and carry it when i need., i guess i will add a Skinomi tyoe skin to it for the protection it needs wehn it is running free.

re the mouse, is a bit expnesive but i a still looking at something like this:

http://www.ergonomictouchpad.com/eu/tablettouchpads.com/

and for the USB i though a micro hub similar to this might do the trick.

http://cgi.ebay.de/DICOTA-MICRO-USB...39?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3f0c0c64a7

the touch screen mouse is pretty cool, especially how flat and portable it is. I like it but might opt for a standard wireless mouse if I am going to split the one USB port into multiple ones.

I was looking at a splitter like this one - http://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Flexible-4-Port-Splitter-Cable/dp/B002670LY0 which gives you 4 USB inputs or this one that gives you 2 - http://milo.com/enercell-yc-8868-usb-splitter-cable

Thoughts?

vari9

May 4, 2011
Mumbai
the touch screen mouse is pretty cool, especially how flat and portable it is. I like it but might opt for a standard wireless mouse if I am going to split the one USB port into multiple ones.

I was looking at a splitter like this one - http://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-Flexible-4-Port-Splitter-Cable/dp/B002670LY0 which gives you 4 USB inputs or this one that gives you 2 - http://milo.com/enercell-yc-8868-usb-splitter-cable

Thoughts?

I have a belkin usb hub which looks grt and works flawlessly....

Sent from my XT720 using XDA App

Moonking

Jul 13, 2011
I am using a mini 4 port hub (ONN Travel Hub) I got at the local Walmart for around 10 bucks. Mouse and keyboard work fine together

MK

vari9

May 4, 2011
Mumbai
I didn't buy it online.....so can't really provide you a link......go to belkin's site and see the products....there you will find the usb hub...powered as well as non powered( both work).....copy the name and paste on ebay....and search it there....

Sent from my XT720 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got this so only some quick feedback right now -
    I received this today after waiting 3-4 weeks for it to arrive from overseas. For $20 I was skeptical BUT after arriving I am actually pretty pleased.

Pros -
    It actually works well. Very responsive and no real delay in typing
    It looks pretty good and is not that thick.
    The material looks reasonably nice and material does not seem inexpensive which was surprising
    They sent an additional larger metal stylus with a soft tip. Very nice.
    All of the keys seem to work, with the exception of the "windows" key that I never expected to work. I have not tested out the F keys but will in the coming days.
    USB plug plugs in nicely and really not that noticeable.
    Nice kickstand to hold up tablet at a good angle.

Cons -
    Only one real one and that is that there is no top tab to hold the tablet in if turned upside down that way. The tablet can and will slide out. I see this as a problem for many, but not for me as I will simply hold it upright whenever carrying.
    I think I might be able to retrofit something to act as a type tab and I will look into that in the coming days.

I plan to do a full review and take additional pictures and video.

folio1.jpg

folio2.jpg
    i am using the folio keyboard to make this rely and it is working perfectly still, even on the net. I agree about the port thing and if Acer would ever make a bluetooth keyboard folio like apple and the xoom have it would be great - but not yet.
    I am now looking at the adapter to make the micro port a normal usb port or a simple small usb splitter for the normal usb port. either way this is pretty nice to use the keyboard versus the onscreen keyboard.

I will add this - i do not know what the F keys are for on the keypad because again those are normally Windows functions and this is obviously not running on a windows machine.
    also the keypad is a little smaller then normal so does take some getting used to , but if you are used to typing on a blackberry or mobile phone this is way way larger so not to hard to get the hang of it
    From the Ebay listing I posted above - Try emailing them directly about this item

Our customer service email:bigeyestore4471092@gmail.com

Leather Case Keyboard For 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500

New arrival Synthetic Leather Case Keyboard fit with 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500(not design)

1.Kickstand design and High Quality

2.With keyboard by USB connect

3.Left right open type case design

4.Offers all round protection

5.Easily insert and remove

6.With pen loop, water proof keyboard

7.Anti-dust, impact protective and tear resistant

8.Slim and Secure fit, intergrated keyboard and leather case 2 in 1

9.Ultra high quality construction and switching

10.OEM or universal packing

11.Color: Black

Note:Bracuse of Acer Iconia Tab A500 use android ,and the Number lock and screen lock do not with Acer tab A500.But it does not affect the normal use of the keyboard.

Package:

1X Leather Case Keyboard For 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500

1 x a gift (A stylus for 10.1"Acer Iconia Tab A500)
    How does it slide out of the top if there's a latch which goes over the case??
    this one on Amazon has 5 tabs one of which is on top to hold the tablet in place when carrying.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZ3MEU