Touch Screen Responsiveness While Charging

Search This thread

gregneal

Oct 5, 2012
Melbourne
Hi guys,

I have a new XT1033 (Aussie dual sim version) Moto G.

When using the packaged charger, the screen becomes quite unresponsive. This seems to be a problem with a few other phones too. (Droid Incredible, GSII and Epic 4G all have threads on this problem.)

Why does this happen, and is there a fix?

Thanks,
Greg

xmenadis

Dec 18, 2013
It also happened to me with Samsung charger... I changed USB cable and everything seems to be working fine from that time... but I don't know if it's problem in USB cable with one contact missing or it just happen randomly.

centavar

Aug 27, 2011
Chicago
Happened to me as well, when first charged it and was still on Jelly Bean. No such problem since the update to Kitkat, same cable and charger.

centavar

Aug 27, 2011
Chicago
I've found it to happen on both JB and KK.

But I've also had periods on both where it works as usual. you're probably just experiencing one of those periods.

Just as I grabbed the phone to read the email about your responce and it happened again :mad: Soo yeah, apparently it happens on KitKat too... Good thing the phone charges relatively quick.

asdfzz

Mar 10, 2012
I got the same with a charger screen doesnt work...but it doesnt work also on other phone..
Im using another 1A charger now and no problem when charging.

t-bon3

May 16, 2010
It's caused by electrical interference from the charger affecting the capacitive screen. Sometimes using a case can make it worse.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

martikung

Dec 13, 2012
I had the same problems as well, and i contacted Motorola, they said the voltage in the charger you're using is to low

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

satheesh.a

Jan 19, 2014
It's caused by electrical interference from the charger affecting the capacitive screen. Sometimes using a case can make it worse.

You nailed it right!! It is usually due to the 'Parasitic capacitive coupling' and poor quality of Power/charger/USB cable.. This occurs only in capacitive sensing units and when using SMPS based power supplies. This even affects laptop trackpads..

Reactions: Silently and AluKed

mikee286

May 29, 2012
I'm having the same problem with my moto E and don't think its worth starting a new thread. I googled the issue and ended up here. Does anyone know of a charger that doesn't do this while charging? Also it doesn't have the issue when plugged into the computer. Right now for charging I am using a charger from an old blackberry bold. when using a charger that makes the phone do this, is it causing damage to the phone at all?

Giugo

Jul 20, 2014
I had a similar issue with my old Motorola Defy+ and its charger. It's a problem linked to charger you are using. Try a different one.

mikee286

May 29, 2012
I had a similar issue with my old Motorola Defy+ and its charger. It's a problem linked to charger you are using. Try a different one.

I'm using a samsung charger that someone abandoned at one of my dads sporting events and it seems to work ok but I can't jump to conclusions to quickly. So far so good though

sidewalk_

Nov 26, 2011
I also noticed it when charging. The screen became less responsive, not really a problem for me since i only charge my phone overnight.
Is this related to the charger voltage? I'm using the original motorola charger.

Giugo

Jul 20, 2014
I also noticed it when charging. The screen became less responsive, not really a problem for me since i only charge my phone overnight.
Is this related to the charger voltage? I'm using the original motorola charger.

It could be related to voltage, because capacitive touchscreen recognizes finger's position from the the voltage variations on the display's surface

As you can read on Wikipedia:
In this basic technology, only one side of the insulator is coated with conductive material. A small voltage is applied to this layer, resulting in a uniform electrostatic field. When a conductor, such as a human finger, touches the uncoated surface, a capacitor is dynamically formed. Because of the sheet resistance of the surface, each corner is measured to have a different effective capacitance. The sensor's controller can determine the location of the touch indirectly from the change in the capacitance as measured from the four corners of the panel: the larger the change in capacitance, the closer the touch is to that corner.

By the way try a different charger and be sure that matches these specs:
voltage 5.0V
current 0.5~1.5A

Reactions: sidewalk_

mikee286

May 29, 2012
It could be related to voltage, because capacitive touchscreen recognizes finger's position from the the voltage variations on the display's surface

voltage 5.0V
current 0.5~1.5A

wow that is so far off from what I was using to charge mine no wonder I had problems

The one that gave me issues was only 750mA and 1.5v or something like that.

The one I have now is 5V 2A

will the fact that it is over the 1.5 A damage the phone at all?

Cyber.

Sep 16, 2013
My charger also has 5V 2A and I am having the responsiveness problem

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Free mobile app

Giugo

Jul 20, 2014
The one I have now is 5V 2A
will the fact that it is over the 1.5 A damage the phone at all?

No, it won't.

I took the text below from here
In order to keep the price low, Motorola made many cost-saving decisons. In this case, our research showed that many people already had a suitable Motorola charger available, or a PC or other device that can be used to charge Moto G.

Any Motorola charger with the correct micro-USB tip will charge your Moto G. You will see the best results when the output of the charger is between 500 mA and 1.5 A. The higher the output, the faster your Moto G will charge.

If your charger output is higher, the MOTO G will automatically restrict the charging rate. If your charger is lower, it will simply take longer to reach a full charge.

mohtasanjeev

Jan 9, 2009
I have totally different issue. Touch screen of my MOTO E is not responding. When I connect it to PC through USB Cable, after some time, touch becomes OK. But again when I remove the cable, after some time again the touch become un-responsive. Has anyone face this problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You nailed it right!! It is usually due to the 'Parasitic capacitive coupling' and poor quality of Power/charger/USB cable.. This occurs only in capacitive sensing units and when using SMPS based power supplies. This even affects laptop trackpads..

In this basic technology, only one side of the insulator is coated with conductive material. A small voltage is applied to this layer, resulting in a uniform electrostatic field. When a conductor, such as a human finger, touches the uncoated surface, a capacitor is dynamically formed. Because of the sheet resistance of the surface, each corner is measured to have a different effective capacitance. The sensor's controller can determine the location of the touch indirectly from the change in the capacitance as measured from the four corners of the panel: the larger the change in capacitance, the closer the touch is to that corner.

voltage 5.0V
    current 0.5~1.5A