[Tool] [HuRUpdater] [0.4] [Flash official firmware in recovery

Search This thread

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Here I present my tool to flash Honor stock firmware in TWRP recovery. I have tested it on all currently available firmwares for Honor 9 STF but still this tool is beta.

HuRUpdater
Huawei Recovery Updater

• Flash official firmware zip files
  • Can detect if firmware locks bootloader
  • Can detect if firmware wipes data

Download:

It's recommended to use a proper custom recovery (with running oeminfo_nvm_server service) like for example my version of TWRP.

How to use:
Warning: Make sure you know what you are doing and do not flash firmware from other devices.
  1. Download firmware files (for official firmware use Huawei Firmware Finder).
  2. Put files you want to flash in a seperate folder on sdcard.
    Supported zip files to flash are (name must match):
    • update.zip (use FullOTA file)
    • update_all_hw.zip
    • update_data_public.zip
  3. Optional: Put recovery.img in same folder if you want to keep custom recovery.
  4. Put HuRUpdater zip in same folder. Example:
    ok6f53.jpg
  5. Select only HuRUpdater to flash in custom recovery.
  6. Follow instructions on screen. Flashing can take multiple minutes.

Problems:
  • If firmware includes factory reset
    • Factory reset is not supported by custom recovery. Therefore HuRUpdater will flash stock recovery before launching factory reset. After flashing firmware and doing factory reset, you need to flash recovery manually.

Supported devices:
  • Honor 9
  • Honor View 10 (confirmed* by Rommco05)
  • Huawei P9 Lite (confirmed* by Tecalote)
  • Huawei P9 (confirmed* by Tecalote)
  • Huawei P Smart (confirmed* by flibblesan)
  • Huawei Mate 9 (confirmed* by ante0)
  • Huawei Mate 10 (confirmed* by Tecalote)
  • Huawei P20 (confirmed* by realz88)
  • Honor 8 (confirmed* by mynote@xda)
  • Huawei P8 Lite (2017) (confirmed* by neverdies)
  • Honor 6X (confirmed* by siddhrsh)
  • Huawei Mediapad M5 (confirmed* by ZeuseZ)
  • Other Huawei/Honor? Try and let me know
* first confirmation

Bugreport:
Post full /tmp/recovery.log file in comments

Thanks to all testers who report new devices working. Especially big thanks to @Tecalote who provided me with extensive testing / logs and found bugs.

XDA:DevDB Information
HuRUpdater for Honor, Tool/Utility for the Honor 9

Contributors
zxz0O0

Version Information

Created 2018-03-27
Last Updated 2018-09-23

Last edited:

angelobiz

May 2, 2012
Milan
very good,
only a question: recovery.img that have put in directory, have to be Stock recovery image orTwrp?

lalaspdn

Sep 20, 2007
Bergamo
Sorry for my bad english.
I'm on Oreo B360 with root and custom twrp (0.2).
Can i use this tool to downgrade to Nougat?
I would like to go back to B183 version...

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

G

Guestx00513

Wonderful! It also solves the problems with bricked Honor 9 :)

Last edited:

realz88

Sep 8, 2005
This tool is amazing. It should be a sticky post. You've no idea how many people will be saved by this tool. Dude, you rock amazingly. Be proud of yourself! It saved me countless hours of flashing, after many hours trying to recover a bricked honor 9... You should post this tool on Reddit with relevant information. It's an amazing tool.

Mondor1979

Apr 14, 2017
Saint-Petersburg
after many hours trying to recover a bricked honor 9...

If you can load to or flash and load to twrp your device is NOT bricked! )) It is very easy to flash zip's of official ROM in this case with or without this tool. This tool is very good by 2 reasons: 1) Can detect if ROM wipes data. 2) Can detect if ROM locks bootloader. It is very convinient! Good job.

PS Your device is bricked if you have error 2 and error 11 when trying to boot. It is not also a problem if you can still reach erecovery.

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
Oppo Reno8 Lite
@zxz0O0 I'm on B360 and want to update to B362 but FF says it's not authorized (all versions say that), so I'd like to know what version you used and what is the danger (if any) of flashing an unauthorized firmware version.

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
@zxz0O0 I'm on B360 and want to update to B362 but FF says it's not authorized (all versions say that), so I'd like to know what version you used and what is the danger (if any) of flashing an unauthorized firmware version.

67pbgp.jpg

Risk of flashing an unauthorized firmware:
None, that's just the relase method Huawei choose https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_adoption

Risk of flashing a firmware:
Same as with official way, you could brick / destroy your device if you for example power off during fw flashing.

JBolho

Nov 8, 2011
Porto
Oppo Reno8 Lite
@zxz0O0 Flashed latest B362 (dated March 28th) with no issues, thank you.
By the way, that March 23rd release of B362 has apparently been removed from server (that's what FF was saying on mine)

ante0

Dec 28, 2009
Stockholm
Great, works fine on Mate 9 (Although got E: Unknown command []] 2 times).
Updated from C432B366 to C432B367-SP1, mainly to test because B367-SP1 is some test firmware.

Reactions: zxz0O0

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Great, works fine on Mate 9 (Although got E: Unknown command []] 2 times).
Updated from C432B366 to C432B367-SP1, mainly to test because B367-SP1 is some test firmware.

Thanks for feedback. This error is actually caused on how TWRP interprets the output of the flashable zip. It can be ignored.

Reactions: Pretoriano80

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here I present my tool to flash Honor stock firmware in TWRP recovery. I have tested it on all currently available firmwares for Honor 9 STF but still this tool is beta.

HuRUpdater
    Huawei Recovery Updater

• Flash official firmware zip files
    • Can detect if firmware locks bootloader
    • Can detect if firmware wipes data

Download:

It's recommended to use a proper custom recovery (with running oeminfo_nvm_server service) like for example my version of TWRP.

How to use:
    Warning: Make sure you know what you are doing and do not flash firmware from other devices.
    1. Download firmware files (for official firmware use Huawei Firmware Finder).
    2. Put files you want to flash in a seperate folder on sdcard.
      Supported zip files to flash are (name must match):
      • update.zip (use FullOTA file)
      • update_all_hw.zip
      • update_data_public.zip
    3. Optional: Put recovery.img in same folder if you want to keep custom recovery.
    4. Put HuRUpdater zip in same folder. Example:
      ok6f53.jpg
    5. Select only HuRUpdater to flash in custom recovery.
    6. Follow instructions on screen. Flashing can take multiple minutes.

Problems:
    • If firmware includes factory reset
      • Factory reset is not supported by custom recovery. Therefore HuRUpdater will flash stock recovery before launching factory reset. After flashing firmware and doing factory reset, you need to flash recovery manually.

Supported devices:
    • Honor 9
    • Honor View 10 (confirmed* by Rommco05)
    • Huawei P9 Lite (confirmed* by Tecalote)
    • Huawei P9 (confirmed* by Tecalote)
    • Huawei P Smart (confirmed* by flibblesan)
    • Huawei Mate 9 (confirmed* by ante0)
    • Huawei Mate 10 (confirmed* by Tecalote)
    • Huawei P20 (confirmed* by realz88)
    • Honor 8 (confirmed* by mynote@xda)
    • Huawei P8 Lite (2017) (confirmed* by neverdies)
    • Honor 6X (confirmed* by siddhrsh)
    • Huawei Mediapad M5 (confirmed* by ZeuseZ)
    • Other Huawei/Honor? Try and let me know
    * first confirmation

Bugreport:
    Post full /tmp/recovery.log file in comments

Thanks to all testers who report new devices working. Especially big thanks to @Tecalote who provided me with extensive testing / logs and found bugs.

XDA:DevDB Information
    HuRUpdater for Honor, Tool/Utility for the Honor 9

Contributors
    zxz0O0

Version Information

Created 2018-03-27
    Last Updated 2018-09-23
    Reserved

Changelog:
      • Add static busybox
      • Update installer binary
      • Fix set_metadata (do not abort)
      • Add own busybox for recoveries with bugged version
      • Rename zip files to match HWOTA names
    New version is released. Changes:
    • Fix set_metadata (do not abort)
    • Add own busybox for recoveries with bugged version
    • Rename zip files to match HWOTA names
    Big thanks to @Tecalote. He found these bugs, always provided me with all the necessary logs and extensively tested new version. So leave him a thanks under his posts.
    Got it. I missed that part to read. Thanks for pointing out. Is there anyway that we can flash OTA?

No, it's not

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

I've heard that "PV" is "Previous version". This one will be used in future to revert back to this ROM if you wish to do in future. Don't use it to upgrade.

PV = Point Version
    MF = Multi File

FullOTA-MF-PV Versions are flashable with TWRP (which support encryption) - if you are on the required firmware before and it must be done with the right steps. It contains mostly two zip files, sometimes three. The zip files must be flashed without reboot to system between and with reboot to EMUI Recovery after. On this point data Factoryreset is required before booting to the system again.
    However it can not be used in every situation and doesn't work all the time.
    PV versions are made to update the phone from one Android /or EMUI v to the next ore sometimes for downgrade too (as you said)

On P9 for example I can flash b386 (Android 7) over b182 (Android 6) with PV version and TWRP (with encryption support). Of course only with the right firmware for model and cust. (not c432 over c636 for example)

To be sure I would use HuRUpdater only with FullOTA-MF on same Android version.
    But it's also necessary to know that firmwares requires firmware versions and must match the device.
    Some version jumps will not work.
    For example I can update on P9 b394 over b386, but not b398 over b386..

So beginners should take care of their phone and not flashing anything before thinking about and be sure what they are doing.

I have seen many bricked phones because some people are flashing everything without worrying about it..
    I repair every week (private) one /two bricked phones from User of German Android Hilfe de Forum..
    Added version 0.4 to OP. The busybox is now static, this should hopefully resolve the issues on older recoveries (like Nougat).