[GUIDE] I9000 Screen Replacement

Search This thread

Saha91

Aug 22, 2010
The touch doesnt work????

So I bought the screen from ebay, the digitizer and all that, and I let a local mobile shop fix it for me. What happened is that they installed the screen, and it looked alright, but the touch didn't work! What's up with that?????

They said they wanted to give it an swupdate, but I don't think it has anything to do with that. What u think????

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
I think that they broke the sensors. They are very fragile and are easily damaged when screen is being removed. I hope they gave you some warranty for their work. Someone else could disagree with my opinion.

Saha91

Aug 22, 2010
Are the sensor located on the screen or phone? The only way is to buy a new screen or what?? Maybe I can try to reassemble it myself?

waldzias

May 28, 2006
Cambridge
galeria.waldzias.p.ht
Has anyone in the UK or Ireland used the services of FoneFunShop?

They are selling replacment screen/digitizers for £22.97:

And for £39.99 you can have it fitted by them!:

Sounds a bit too good to be true. Has anyone had any dealings with them?

I haven't dealt with them yet, but they've got quite good reviews:
w w w .reviewcentre.com/reviews151960.html

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
Are the sensor located on the screen or phone? The only way is to buy a new screen or what?? Maybe I can try to reassemble it myself?

Sensors are not located in the screen. There is a separate part which includes those button sensors. Link to a site where you can buy that part is already posted in this topic.

D0cStrange

Apr 7, 2009
Brussel
Well, i think my sensors are dead, G-Sensor and Compass not responding anymore...

When i got my phone back yesterday i straight flashed froyo and voodoo, and noticed the G-Sensor isn't working anymore when tried to view market in landscape mode, it didn't respond, so i tried composing a message with handcent, didn't respond either, and then i downloaded 3D compass, it doesn't work either....

tried to recalibrate with the tool built in and it dont want to work :

su
# /system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha
/system/bin/sensorcalibutil_yamaha
=====================================
Sensor Calibration Utilities
Copyright (c) 2009 Yamaha Corporation
=====================================
Starting calibration utilities...

Starting measurement of the G-Sensor's fine offset...
To operate manual calibration of the acceleration sensor,
place your phone horizontally and set still.

Hit Enter key to continue:

fgets: Unknown error: 0
msmachdep_SaveGsOffset failed
calibration utilities failed
#

I'm gonna try to flash JM8 and JM9 to see if it change something (it was working before i broke my screen in JM9, so, maybe...)

Edit: Yeah, forget about it, reflashed JM8, then wipe data, wipe cache, than flash JP6, then wipe data, wipe cache, and everything was okay

Last edited:

Saha91

Aug 22, 2010
Sensors are not located in the screen. There is a separate part which includes those button sensors. Link to a site where you can buy that part is already posted in this topic.

My bottom buttons work, home, back and settings. But the upper screen is totally dead. Guess you've diagnosed it already, so what do you think I need? On the dutch site I found something called: Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Sensor Flex Cable Incl. Earpiece.

Is that what I need?

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
My bottom buttons work, home, back and settings. But the upper screen is totally dead. Guess you've diagnosed it already, so what do you think I need? On the dutch site I found something called: Samsung I9000 Galaxy S Sensor Flex Cable Incl. Earpiece.

Is that what I need?

Do you mean the front speaker, proximity sensor etc. ?

sonci

Oct 9, 2010
that doesn't make any sense at all, the phones screens are super strong and anti scratch out of the box from factory without any add-on.

if you cracked yours like you described, you must to have put it over a very hot surface, or with saline/acidic solution.

i've seen the video where the guy repeatedly intentionally drop the screen with no problem, until he tried to smash it over 1.5m high, anything less than 1.0 drop is safe for the screen.

i can see why samsung doesn't believe you, as it's physically imposible for it to break in the way you described it.

all that aside, if you can find a replacement screen, usually it is a plug and play piece.

i've done many of those on my old Treo and Blackberry phones, the SGS will be no different.

To all those with broken screens, yo`ll find enjoyble this post..

sp991

Aug 4, 2009
Montréal
To all those with broken screens, yo`ll find enjoyble this post..

Yes but it's true. I got my screen shattered and I replaced it succesfuly but once the screen was broken I tried to scratch it with a screw driver on the upper portion still intact.

Guess what...impossible to scratch it. I was unable to make a mark on the glass with my screw driver. (I should have taken it on video) So the screen is really scratch proof but not shattering proof. Dropping it from a good height good make it crack but you won't scratch it in your pocket or on the kitchen table.

CaffeineMuffin

Oct 28, 2010
Saturday I went to look at my phone but noticed the screen was cracked and would not display anything. But thanks to this thread and Orcie’s guide I managed to replace the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S.

To replace my broken screen I removed the backplate, SIM card and SD card. Then I put my phone down on a towel and unscrewed the 6 screws on the back and removed the back. Then I disconnected the screen cable next to the SD card slot and laid the phone on it's back. I then used a guitar pick to remove the broken screen starting at the middle top working towards the edges and down towards the buttons. To remove the 2 buttons from the screen I used a hair dyer to heat the glue and slowly used a guitar pick to pry them off. Then once the screen was off I cleaned the glue off the phone using a flat head screwdriver and wiped the area with isopropyl alcohol. I placed the screen on the phone and plugged the screen cable in next to the SD card, put the battery in and turned it on to test the screen before gluing anything. I then turned it off, removed the battery, unplugged the screen cable and removed the screen. Then I glued the buttons down with Unibond Repair Extreme, placed some Unibond Repair Extreme where the screen was located and pulled the adhesive backing off the replacement screen and laid it down on the phone making sure it was in the right place and then pushed down. I then turned the phone over onto the front and put the back on and screwed the 6 screws back into place. I then put the battery, SIM card, SD card in the phone and placed the backplate on. I powered up the phone and tested everything to make it sure worked and left it over night for the glue set.

I bought the replacement screen from eBay seller dmrp for £38.69 with free postage and the Unibond Repair Extreme from my local Robert Dyas.
The replacement screen appears to work fine but does not have the Samsung text at the top of the screen.

Last edited:

sonci

Oct 9, 2010
Saturday I went to look at my phone but noticed the screen was cracked and would not display anything. But thanks to this thread and Orcie’s guide I managed to replace the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S.

To replace my broken screen I removed the backplate, SIM card and SD card. Then I put my phone down on a towel and unscrewed the 6 screws on the back and removed the back. Then I disconnected the screen cable next to the SD card slot and laid the phone on it's back. I then used a guitar pick to remove the broken screen starting at the middle top working towards the edges and down towards the buttons. To remove the 2 buttons from the screen I used a hair dyer to heat the glue and slowly used a guitar pick to pry them off. Then once the screen was off I cleaned the glue off the phone using a flat head screwdriver and wiped the area with isopropyl alcohol. I placed the screen on the phone and plugged the screen cable in next to the SD card, put the battery in and turned it on to test the screen before gluing anything. I then turned it off, removed the battery, unplugged the screen cable and removed the screen. Then I glued the buttons down with Unibond Repair Extreme, placed some Unibond Repair Extreme where the screen was located and pulled the adhesive backing off the replacement screen and laid it down on the phone making sure it was in the right place and then pushed down. I then turned the phone over onto the front and put the back on and screwed the 6 screws back into place. I then put the battery, SIM card, SD card in the phone and placed the backplate on. I powered up the phone and tested everything to make it sure worked and left it over night for the glue set.

I bought the replacement screen from eBay seller dmrp for £38.69 with free postage and the Unibond Repair Extreme from my local Robert Dyas.
The replacement screen appears to work fine but does not have the Samsung text at the top of the screen.

thanks for postin this, I`m still waiting for mine to arrive,
do you see the same quality as with the original??
As for unscrachable screen,

well, its glass isn`t it, it can break not scratch

Last edited:

CaffeineMuffin

Oct 28, 2010
thanks for postin this, I`m still waiting for mine to arrive,
do you see the same quality as with the original??
As for unscrachable screen,

well, its glass isn`t it, it can break not scratch

As far I can tell my replacement screen is exactly the same as the broken screen apart from the missing Samsung text at top of the screen.
The picture quality looks the same on the replacement compared to the broken screen to me. But to be 100% sure as to the picture quality I would need to compare my Galaxy S with an original Galaxy S.
The screen is glass but very strong glass (gorilla glass) it can break like it did for the people in this thread and me. I'm not sure if the glass is unscratchable. I tried to scratch my broken screen after I removed it with some keys but could not.

I have attached some photos of my phone, glue, broken screen and replacement screen.

Attachments

• DSCN0050.JPG
    DSCN0050.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 556
  • DSCN0049.JPG
    DSCN0049.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCN0048.JPG
    DSCN0048.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCN0057.JPG
    DSCN0057.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 600
  • DSCN0052.JPG
    DSCN0052.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCN0045.JPG
    DSCN0045.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCN0047.JPG
    DSCN0047.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
So this is a 110% guaranteed original SAMOLED from SAMUNG 1:1 with the screen that came with the phone aside from the SAMSUNG logo ??

CaffeineMuffin

Oct 28, 2010
So this is a 110% guaranteed original SAMOLED from SAMUNG 1:1 with the screen that came with the phone aside from the SAMSUNG logo ??

The only way I would be able to tell if it was an original screen would to ask Samsung. But as far as I can tell the screen I bought from eBay seller dmrp is an original SAMOLED screen.
The screen looks and works 100% the same as my original screen to me apart from the missing Samsung text at the top of the screen.
It's the same model as my broken screen and has all the model numbers, logos etc on the back of the screen.

I take no responsibility if the screen is not original.

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
Did you notice that if it had different version of hardware than the original? My replacement screen had one component which was 0.1 version higher than the original.

CaffeineMuffin

Oct 28, 2010
Did you notice that if it had different version of hardware than the original? My replacement screen had one component which was 0.1 version higher than the original.

No sorry I did notice if the replacement screen had any newer versions of components. All the components looked the same as on my broken screen. I only checked the model number which was the same as my broken screen.

Last edited:

Earthworm

Account currently disabled
Dec 2, 2006
GB
meettomy.site
Has anyone in the UK or Ireland used the services of FoneFunShop?

They are selling replacment screen/digitizers for £22.97:

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/cable_picker/95222_Samsung_I9000_Galaxy_S_Lcd_&_Digitizer.html

And for £39.99 you can have it fitted by them!:

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/cable_...d_&_Digitizer_Repair_Replacement_Service.html

Sounds a bit too good to be true. Has anyone had any dealings with them?

UPDATE:

Well I took the plunge and I can totally recommend this company. The from the postage of my phone to them to it's return was 8 days. Would have been quicker had they not gone out of stock of the displays. It's a perfect repair. The screen used does not have the Samsung logo on it but I like that. So anyone in the UK/Ireland with a broken screen you might want to check this company out

Pwl10

Nov 5, 2010
Is there any chance to replace the metallic ring around the screen? Mine is bent in the mid of the right side (kind of a small hernia). Is it glued to the plastic base? Is it easy to disassemble this part? Can I fix it in another way? :confused:

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
I think that only way to remove the bezel is to remove the screen. It's not possible to remove bezel from behind because there is so large clips holding the bezel that you just can't stretch the bezel outwards enough to pull it over. Only way to remove it is from the front. Btw. It's very very hard to remove the screen without breaking it in the process.

PS. I don't even know where you can buy only the bezel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This topic has clues for replacing the screen. I have not concluded an manual for chancing it yet but reading this whole topic gives you the big picture how it is done. Questions are always welcome and I try to answer them with my knowledge. This 1st post gives you 2 links to follow for pics about changing screen and my own starting point for chancing my own screen.

Has anyone bought and installed a digitizer+screen set which is on sale at ebay? I could not post direct link to ebay because I'm a newbie on these forums. You can find the product searching ebay with these keywords "I9000 digitizer". My galaxy's screen cracked and I need an replacement. Both screen and glass broke. I think that this set includes them both. There is also told in the questions that the set infact includes amoled display and not LCD as the title says.

Second question is that does someone have an service manual somewhere. Would be nice to know how to break apart my phone when replacing screen.

Third question is that doesn't samsung vibrant and galaxy s share the same chassis but different screen with more capacitive buttons. Could it be possible to install vibrant's screen to galaxy s?

PS. The way my galaxy brokedown is very funny. I lay down my phone on the kitchen table and the screen cracked. I was like OMFG when I heard the cracking noise. Phone was like 13 days old. Samsung does not repair it with warranty because they think that it wasn't an manufacturing defect. They said that I have dropped my phone and that's the way it broke. That could not be the case because I handled it like a baby. I would have to pay 255€ for new screen and digitizer. Hell no!! I'm a student so that sum does not fit with my wallet.

New screen installed, see posts http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7683527&postcount=37 and http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7710572&postcount=40

Edit: Ebay's prices have rised noticeable in the last couple of months. At the moment the price for these screens is around 100$. I found this site which sells them for 60£. http://www.shineyourmobile.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=8128
    I haven't read of anybody just replacing only the glass yet. But I have managed to replace only the glass and it works!

I fell skiing at Heavenly on December 27th. The Gorilla Glass did not survive.

I bought the glass from eBay that same night http://www.ebay.com/itm/25095815361...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1340wt_958 for $4.99 + $4.99 ship from an Australian distributor. I arrived today and I started working on it at 1pm. I searched YouTube and found a bunch of videos on how to remove everything up to the digitizer and glass assembly, but nothing after that!

At this point I cracked open the phone and followed the video thinking there was more. The logical think to do would have been to watch the video all the way through at first. And I guess since my SGS works, I'm fortunate that I didn't!

The glass on the phone was completely shattered with no pieces larger than dime left whole. So I started around the top edge first. Once I gain confidence on separating the glass from the thick layer of glue using an Olfa L-2 knife, I started in on the capacitive buttons. Here the glass had shattered to pieces about 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch, relatively easy to remove using the knife to at first wedge, then pry upwards. Both buttons work fine, but I was really careful and it took a bit of time to do. Thinking that was the hardest part was foolish thinking in hindsight...

Clearing the rest of the digitizer is a chore I care not to do again. But it is possible! It took about 3 hours to remove every sliver of glass. As it is like safety glass, it shatters into fragments easily. And once that's done you need to clean up the glue, laced with fine glass dust that can potentially scratch the digitizer. I did it with 50% alcohol and polishing compound. It took the better part of an hour, but it was the only thing I had around the house. Somebody mentioned ethanol on this thread, I'd go with that instead.

You will see a few nicks and scratches on the digitizer. I was will to accept this since I am eyeing a Galaxy Note and this phone is going to to be permanently stationed in the car (the Torque OBDII app works like a dream, it has GPS, is a web browser and plays music though my bluetooth car audio, and can share the 3G data plan. Name a head unit that does all that?). And in all honesty, with the glass installed it looks better than I expected.

To install the glass I used double-sided tape. I heated up the tape with a blow dryer when I sealed everything up, and pressed firmly on all sides to insure a good bond. I was disheartened to find that the digitizer did not respond to every touch. Turns out this was the effect of the warmed glass. As it cooled the touch response time got back to normal. Also be careful of over heating the glass and pressing too hard on the corners of the digitizer. I have a red spot in the edge of a corner I pressed. If I were to do it again, gluing (the type discussed earlier in the thread.) would be the way to go. Finally finished around 6pm. And everything works!

Good luck!
    Removed my screen today, now waiting for new arriving from Hong Kong. I took couple of photos after the screen was removed. You can see the two sensors at the bottom where I had to be very careful when removing screen. It felt like they would rip apart anytime. My luck was that the glue used was very soft and by prying very slowly the screen removed easily. Took about 30min to remove but would have gone faster if my screen wouldn't been shattered near home button. Little glass and amoled pieces are everywhere. I recommend to keep safety glasses on when removing screen because it shatters easily and pieces fly long way. My hand is now like a disco ball. Tools used are seen on the photos. I also used a little kitchen knife but not much so I didn't include it in the photo. There are still little pieces of glass which I have to remove before applying new screen. Gotta figure out how to remove those.
    SOLVED with 6€ (only glass ) !!!

Tks "devonblue4u" : D

you were the only one with courage like me, and I read your post carefully before you venture into the place of "GLASS ONLY OUTSIDE".

I purchased the glass only by E-Bay about 6 € (arrived in about 10 days) :)

I wanted to say that with my method you put about 2 hours without disassembling the phone!

get yourself a micro optical screwdriver, something hard and plastic is not very sharp, knife and .... the REMOVE SILICONE [/ B] spray ( 3€ ).

spray the spray along the edge of the glass of the phone until it starts to become unstuck from the edge of the glass and try to separate the edge, taking care to contacts of the lower part.

Once separated the plastic lip (helping with screwdrivers and plastic tool and cutter always being careful to touch the glass) to try to divide the 2 glass with the cutter and the spray (always doing dissolve the glue of the adhesive).

after removing all the broken glass, clean the glue touch the glass with alcohol and then remount the board appoggiateci pasting over the glass again with very little glue (I used bostik) being careful not to smudge the glass.
    If you made ​​a mistake of gluing always use the "remove silicone" to remove the bostik (or silicon) clean and put the glue.

: D

Good luck.

Umby
    It took me 3 hours for first time since I didn't know procedure.

I've followed youtube video for disassembly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9XNnjAcBc).

You have to be very careful and use non-metal tools so you don't damage case.

It's not so scary with keypad sensors on bottom (just at the 85% of disassembly be very careful).

I had bad luck and bought faulty display with bad touch (left side of display was always active, numbers are being dialed by self). I just return back and got a new one.

Don't glue anything or take off screen protect until you try if everything is OK.

*See image if you want to know where you need to use glue.