I found the real issue with low signal on HTC Titan

Search This thread

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007
I pried all my connectors up and bridged the bottom cell antenna with a paperclip. Night and day difference with mobile reception. One thing I ran into was despite my improved cell and WiFi reception data was still awefully slow. Nearly down to a crawl with pages timing out often. As a last resort I did a restore which improved everything immensely including what's registered for reception after the mods. This tells me there is a major firmware issues that tweaks the phone after use for awhile that only a fresh restore seems to restore.

My browser would do that also although facebook would work fine, sites like cnn and such would not. I found the fix is to switch to airplane mode for about 2 seconds then back. It seems to happen when transitioning between 3g and wifi hotspots, or if you lose 3g and then come back in range.

Thremix

Apr 30, 2011
The small straightened paperclip is laid horizontally with one end under the tabs. The cover is placed back on the phone secure the paperclip in place. Even though the paperclip is underneath the cover it still improved the signal.

Picture please... I was thinking of buying a titan, or maybe wait for the titan 2. :)

bennyj71

Feb 23, 2008
New Orleans
The small straightened paperclip is laid horizontally with one end under the tabs. The cover is placed back on the phone secure the paperclip in place. Even though the paperclip is underneath the cover it still improved the signal.
Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll try it this weekend.

Sent from my PI39100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Jun 13, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
This makes me want to modify one of those "under the battery" signal boosters to see if I can apply this theory to the antenna on the Titan. I know they're encased in a thin layer if plastic. If I can peel that back slightly to just touching the antenna maybe? Just thinking out loud...

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

- Cyber

Last edited:

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
Anyone tried pressuring the antenna back with paperclip or just the grip?

I can only manage to improve my 3G connections, 2G doesn't show any difference at all!!

:confused:

Prerna

Jun 20, 2005
Bienne
Mine worked perfectly during the first 4 months. Then suddenly it wouldn't anymore connect to wifi routers. That is, low signal, does not reconnect, no signal at more than a few meters away from router, etc.

I eventually sent it for repair with clear explanations, but all these ah did was to re-install the software... I got desperate until a few minutes ago when I tried to open and clean the contacts of the back cover. It didn't help, but I tried instinctly to test the wifi signal after applying pressure with my thumbs against the phone's screen, so as to improve the contact with the back cover. Result = instant improvement from 2 bars (2 meters away from router) to 5 bars!

Next step, I opened the back, and with the help of a knife, I bent slightly the metal parts that are used for antenna contacts with the phone. I put the back over and miracle, the signal is now perfect with 5 bars, and without having to press the phone!

Well, I don't know until when the trick will work, and if you attempt to do it, be very careful not to spoil these metal parts. I'm happy for the time being :)

mr.sureshkumar

May 16, 2012
Thanks for finding out the root cause of the problem.

I unlocked HTC Titan AT&T phone and started using in India (Here Titan is not available as of now). It was showing 1-3 bars and was fluctuating every second and there was frequent call drops and voice breaks. I am too much worried and started searching on the net to find out whether anyone else is facing the same problem, or the problem is due to unlocking :confused:

After going through this post, I tweaked the contact pins and to my surprise I could see 5 bars of signal immediately after putting back the cover. After sometime it went to single bar again :(

But I understood there is some problem with the contact pins and the back cover. This is a silly problem and shame on HTC for not finding this. This shows poor testing before the release, careless people, need to be sued. :mad:

Update: The signal bars increase whenever I make a call now. It shows 4 or 5 bars when I make a call and drops back to 2 or 3 after sometime. Looks like the issue is resolved, anyway will monitor for few more days.

Last edited:
Reactions: GinCifer

Prerna

Jun 20, 2005
Bienne
Update: The signal bars increase whenever I make a call now. It shows 4 or 5 bars when I make a call and drops back to 2 or 3 after sometime. Looks like the issue is resolved, anyway will monitor for few more days.

Hi, sorry to hear about your issues. Regarding above description, I think it's a normal behaviour that the signal increases during a call, as more power is generated by the phone than in standby mode.

jojapath

Jul 19, 2010
Laval
I don't know about you guys but I also noticed that when the phone is in 4G, if I only got 1 bar of signal strength, I cannot make or receive any phone calls.
So, with the already low signal strength this phone has, my calls always drop if the phone is in 4G and the signal drops to 1 bar.

I also noticed it doesn't do that on 2G/Edge so that's why I switch my phone to 2G/Edge most of the time with the ##3282# trick.

It must be a firmware or software issue. I just hope it will get fixed with TANGO.

Reactions: MaruFas

andres22

May 14, 2012
Hi jojapath,

I'd like to try that. I entered the code of the trick but I have several options there. Which one exactly did you chose?

Thanks.

jojapath

Jul 19, 2010
Laval
Hi jojapath,

I'd like to try that. I entered the code of the trick but I have several options there. Which one exactly did you chose?

Thanks.

After entering the code, look down to the right, there's three little dots. Tap on them and then settings then in "Network Type" you can switch to "2G Only" ...

If you want it to stay in 2G after you chose it, hit the back button and wait for about 5-10 seconds until the network changes (Tap on top of the screen to see it change ...) ..
For some unknown reasons if you don't do that after, the network will not switch ...

andres22

May 14, 2012
Thank you so much!!! It made my day cause im using my us phone in europe ad i get terrible 3g.

Sent from my PI39100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, the plan was to file them down so that the gold showed through. I didn't realize they were so thin and i actually scraped one almost completely off. there is a slight sliver (i orginally thought it was all off but it's not)

It works better now though :) The signal doesn't vary as much and i swear i even get more battery life. I'm at work right now and staring at 4 bars solid of connection. My phone is right now at 5 hours use at 80% battery and i've been using it the same as i do every day. it says i have 17 hours left. With my heavy data use it usually only says i have 12.

I still cannot recommend doing this though unless your brave or have a 2nd back cover, especially until more people verify it.

That is why i asked if all the members that got new covers could do this to the old ones they have problems with and update rather it fixed there issue. (they could do it since they have new covers anyway :p )

The file i used was one that came with a standard pocket knife. I only ment to expose more of the gold. didn't realize it was that thin.

Also that makes me believe - our antenna has nothing to do with the back at all. I think the gold is only ment to get it to the 2 little holes. and complete the circuit.

To test my above theory, take cover off. you will drop to 1 bar. put finger over both conntects - you go to at least 3 bars. take metal screw and join 2 connectors - i got 4 bars doing this.... tried a staple, not only 3 bars.

next test when i get home will be a piece of tinfoil between the 2 connectors. If that works i'm using my sodering gun. And if i royally screw it up i'll just order a new back cover.
    Well, I just tried that with my old cover and it didn't work. It did the the opposite. I had no signal! Maybe I scratched too much off ...

But before trying that, I GENTLY lifted up the antennas so they make better contact with the back of the cover and I had good signal when I put it back on (Should've thought of that before buying the new cover!).

Oh well, What's done is done. I like my new black cover better than the grey one anyway!!!
    Thanks for finding out the root cause of the problem.

I unlocked HTC Titan AT&T phone and started using in India (Here Titan is not available as of now). It was showing 1-3 bars and was fluctuating every second and there was frequent call drops and voice breaks. I am too much worried and started searching on the net to find out whether anyone else is facing the same problem, or the problem is due to unlocking :confused:

After going through this post, I tweaked the contact pins and to my surprise I could see 5 bars of signal immediately after putting back the cover. After sometime it went to single bar again :(

But I understood there is some problem with the contact pins and the back cover. This is a silly problem and shame on HTC for not finding this. This shows poor testing before the release, careless people, need to be sued. :mad:

I don't know about you guys but I also noticed that when the phone is in 4G, if I only got 1 bar of signal strength, I cannot make or receive any phone calls.
    So, with the already low signal strength this phone has, my calls always drop if the phone is in 4G and the signal drops to 1 bar.

I also noticed it doesn't do that on 2G/Edge so that's why I switch my phone to 2G/Edge most of the time with the ##3282# trick.

It must be a firmware or software issue. I just hope it will get fixed with TANGO.