can someone see if the droid 4 accept a 64gb MicroSDXC? Could someone try for me?

Search This thread

punkonjunk

Feb 16, 2012
What it says on the tin.
I believe the specs say max 32, but I'd love if someone would try it and see if it can read it. I'm really curious, and I'd love to offload all music to my phone and have it all-in-one, as my ipod's DB corrupts every few weeks and it's a huge headache, and it can't intelligently export playlists and etc.

davety

Apr 1, 2011
64GB SDXC card works

I purchased the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64 GB microSD Extended Capacity (microSDXC) Class 6 - 30 MBps Read . The phone didn't recognize it when I put it in and asked me to format the card. Once I did that it works with no problem. I got 59.46GB usable space after that. The phone sees it as sdcard-ext. The SD tools app shows the speed at 6.1 MB/s write speed and 20.9 MB/s read speed.

Reactions: punkonjunk

CowboyNick

Nov 30, 2011
Tested and works for me as well. It did not recognize it as formatted when inserted initially, but once the phone formatted it, it is working fine.

Apr 18, 2008
These are true 64gb chips, right? Not 32gb x2? I know there were some sd cards back in the day that read higher capacity but were basically two sd cards that interfaced as one.

Quick7135

Jun 24, 2011
So the question now is, why don't they spec it at 64 instead of 32 GB?

Anything over 32GB is SDXC.
Apparently from what I can garner, SDXC compatibility requires recognition of exFAT formatted cards. Android doesn't have exFAT support yet, and that probably is what's preventing them from branding the phone to support SDXC cards.

From Wikipedia:

Compatibility with SDHC

SDXC host devices accept all previous families of SD memory cards.[26] Conversely, SDHC host devices will accept SDXC cards that follow Version 3.0, since the interface is identical,[3] but the following issues may affect usability:

SDXC cards are pre-formatted with Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system, which the host device might not support. Since Microsoft does not publish the specifications of exFAT and its use requires a non-free license, many alternative or older operating systems do not support exFAT for technical or legal reasons. The use of exFAT on some SDXC cards may render SDXC unsuitable as a universal exchange medium, as an SDXC card that uses exFAT would not be usable in all host devices. Since the FAT32 file system supports volumes up to the SDXC's maximum theoretical capacity of 2 TB as well, a user could reformat an SDXC card to use FAT32 for greater portability between computers (see below). FAT32-formatted SDXC cards can be used in a host device built for SDHC if the host device can handle 64 GB and larger volumes.
SDHC host devices will not test the new capability bits defined for SDXC 4.0 cards. It will therefore not be able to use the new features of SDXC, such as transfer speeds above UHS104 (104 MB/s).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So the question now is, why don't they spec it at 64 instead of 32 GB?

Anything over 32GB is SDXC.
    Apparently from what I can garner, SDXC compatibility requires recognition of exFAT formatted cards. Android doesn't have exFAT support yet, and that probably is what's preventing them from branding the phone to support SDXC cards.
    64GB SDXC card works

I purchased the SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64 GB microSD Extended Capacity (microSDXC) Class 6 - 30 MBps Read . The phone didn't recognize it when I put it in and asked me to format the card. Once I did that it works with no problem. I got 59.46GB usable space after that. The phone sees it as sdcard-ext. The SD tools app shows the speed at 6.1 MB/s write speed and 20.9 MB/s read speed.
    Ditto, haven't done a speed test with it, but rocking 57 gigs of music on here with a couple gigs free. :)