[Q] Issues with KatKiss 4.3.1_027 on TF101

Search This thread

Toot4fun

Feb 12, 2014
Good morning-

I have a TF101 (with keyboard) running KatKiss 4.3.1_027 and gapps 4.3_20130914. Everything was fine until yesterday morning when I lost network connectivity and decided to reboot (this happens from time to time). Unfortunately, now my tablet won't boot. I get the splash screen with the swirling colored circles, but nothing more.

I tried booting to TWRP (v2.6.3.0 if it matters) and flashed KK and gapps again (including wipes as instructed). This time, it got to an "Upgrading Android" screen, went through my apps, but then got stuck on "Starting apps." I've given it about an hour in both situations and still nothing.

To make matters worse, my microSD slot is flaky and usually doesn't read my card. Based on what I've found, it looks like I have to use adb to push any new files to the tablet. If I boot TWRP and connect my TF to my PC (Windows 7), it tries to install "ASUS Android MTP Device" but is not successful (yellow exclamation point - "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"). I've tried downloading and installing the suite from ASUS, but that doesn't seem to help. "adb devices" doesn't list anything, so I'm stuck here as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Brian

frederuco

Feb 27, 2012
Welcome to XDA!

This is what I responded to you over at TFF:

Sorry for the issues, it looks like the issue is a corrupt /data/ partition. By default "fsync" is off because this makes it faster, however it could get in a bootloop due to this speed. The fix is to flash the "fsync_on.zip" before the boot loop happens.

Once it happens, you are stuck, but there is help.

If you have TWRP 2.6.3.0, it is supposed to have USB support. Plug in a USB drive before booting to TWRP and it should be there.

To fix your issue and lose very minimal data, here is what will need to be done:

Boot to TWRP.

Backup only the /data/ partition. I would back it up to USB if possible, or if not back it up to the internal or microSD (if the microSD is playing nice).

Next (here is the leap of faith) do the wipe of the SYSTEM, CACHE, DAVLIK and DATA partitions. Do not do a FORMAT DATA, just a WIPE DATA (in the advanced section of the WIPE menu).

Now, install KatKiss and the GAPPS.

Wipe CACHE & DAVLIK.

Reboot.

Sign in to your Google account. You can have it restore apps if you want, I usually do myself, but it does not really matter.

Once it is done restoring your apps (or if you choose not to restore) open the Play Store an install Titanium Backup and the Premium Key for TiBu. You need the premium to restore from a TWRP backup.

Open TiBu and go into the Menu section, then find the option to restore from a nandroid backup. This will scan for any nandroid backups. Pick the backup to restore from and it will take a few minutes to scan the backup. Pick the apps you want to restore data and / or the app from.

Go make a coffee and wait for it to complete.

You may lose data from one or two apps, but you will have it from the rest of them. That is better than nothing.

Toot4fun

Feb 12, 2014
Thank you!!

If that's all it is, then it's not as bad as I thought.

If you have TWRP 2.6.3.0, it is supposed to have USB support. Plug in a USB drive before booting to TWRP and it should be there.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working for me. I used TWRP to power off my tablet. Then, I plugged in a USB stick into one of the ports on my keyboard, as this is the only way that I have access to a port. TWRP boots as expected, but I can't see my USB device anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a partition on the internal storage that I can use for the backup that won't get wiped by the process you outlined above?

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

frederuco

Feb 27, 2012
You can use the INTERNAL storage option, just be sure that when you wipe you only wipe the DATA partition. Do not choose to FORMAT DATA.

WIPE DATA = wipes the /data/ partition without wiping /data/media/ (which is the /sdcard/ directory or INTERNAL)
FORMAT DATA = formats the entire /data/ partition.

As I said above, you can use the internal storage option but be sure to only use the wipe data option.

Toot4fun

Feb 12, 2014
You can use the INTERNAL storage option, just be sure that when you wipe you only wipe the DATA partition. Do not choose to FORMAT DATA.

WIPE DATA = wipes the /data/ partition without wiping /data/media/ (which is the /sdcard/ directory or INTERNAL)
FORMAT DATA = formats the entire /data/ partition.

As I said above, you can use the internal storage option but be sure to only use the wipe data option.

Just so I'm 100% clear:
  1. Boot to TWRP
  2. Check only "Data" from the left menu.
  3. On the right side, "Storage: Internal Storage" is selected and nothing needs to be changed here.
  4. Swipe to back up
  5. Proceed with the steps in your original post.

Toot4fun

Feb 12, 2014
Welcome to XDA!

This is what I responded to you over at TFF:

Sorry for the issues, it looks like the issue is a corrupt /data/ partition. By default "fsync" is off because this makes it faster, however it could get in a bootloop due to this speed. The fix is to flash the "fsync_on.zip" before the boot loop happens.

Once it happens, you are stuck, but there is help.

To fix your issue and lose very minimal data, here is what will need to be done:

Boot to TWRP.

Backup only the /data/ partition. I would back it up to USB if possible, or if not back it up to the internal or microSD (if the microSD is playing nice).

Next (here is the leap of faith) do the wipe of the SYSTEM, CACHE, DAVLIK and DATA partitions. Do not do a FORMAT DATA, just a WIPE DATA (in the advanced section of the WIPE menu).

Now, install KatKiss and the GAPPS.

Wipe CACHE & DAVLIK.

Reboot.

Sign in to your Google account. You can have it restore apps if you want, I usually do myself, but it does not really matter.

Once it is done restoring your apps (or if you choose not to restore) open the Play Store an install Titanium Backup and the Premium Key for TiBu. You need the premium to restore from a TWRP backup.

Open TiBu and go into the Menu section, then find the option to restore from a nandroid backup. This will scan for any nandroid backups. Pick the backup to restore from and it will take a few minutes to scan the backup. Pick the apps you want to restore data and / or the app from.

Go make a coffee and wait for it to complete.

You may lose data from one or two apps, but you will have it from the rest of them. That is better than nothing.

Success!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! Two follow-ups to this:

1.) Since I was never able to get this working, is there a way to access the USB/SD card slots on the keyboard dock in TWRP? Using the internal storage is good, but if I want to wipe the whole thing (since my microSD card slot doesn't work), I would really have no way of ever being able to do this.

2.) I actually went up to 4.4.2, mostly because I could. However, I seem to have issues with the Google Play store where apps are always stuck on "Installing..." then the get installed but not really. I think I'll go back down to 4.3 unless there's a way to solve this.

Thank you again!!