[REF] Ultimate GPS fix for any firmware and any device

Search This thread

Mycorrhiza

Aug 12, 2007
814040-1282947689266.jpg
+
holux-gpsslim.jpg

I seriously hate the Galaxy S for it's GPS. I mean really hate. Although having improved the fixing with newer firmwares, it is still atrocious while navigating: skipping all over the place and giving wrong directions and above certain speeds (around 140-160Km/h) loses gps altogether.
For me its basically unusable and I was very close to throwing it out of my car window a lot of the time!

Luckily I still had my Holux GPSlim 236 from the times were integrated GPS was still a myth and alongside Bluetooth GPS Provider it works like a charm. Pinpoint accuracy all the time. Finally my Galaxy S feels like my Milestone did GPS-wise.

Of course it is not practical to carry around a GPS receiver all the time, but for those reliant on in-car navigation it's a good solution as gps receivers should be pretty cheap now.

For anyone interested I recommend a Sirf based chip as the app support NMEA.

Mycorrhiza

Aug 12, 2007
haha and that one is over 5 years old!

And ironically it is so much better albeit much larger than the GPS in the brand new Galaxy S.

I will try to record my next trip when I use the GPS with myTrack.
On the trip I recently tested the Holux on it was 99% accurate almost all of the time. No wrong location, no location skipping and it even registered correctly when I was stopping at an intersection.

Oletros

Oct 22, 2009
Premià de Mar
And ironically it is so much better albeit much larger than the GPS in the brand new Galaxy S.

I will try to record my next trip when I use the GPS with myTrack.
On the trip I recently tested the Holux on it was 99% accurate almost all of the time. No wrong location, no location skipping and it even registered correctly when I was stopping at an intersection.

I will try my Holux M-241 with its MTK chipset

padlad

Jan 23, 2005
I was hoping my old R74 would do the job when in the car but the galaxy cannot even 'see' it. Gutted :(
5d60e7fb-449f-1bba.jpg

dvance

Oct 7, 2010
You shouldnt be driving at 140-160km/h

Why not? Maybe he was on a derestricted toll road like the Nurburgring for example, or he was simply on the German Autobahn, where there's plenty of place where there is no speed limit. Or you're suggesting that you shouldn't drive at that speed anyway? :eek:

Reactions: lossnme

nemethb

Aug 22, 2010
Ottawa
The only problem I see with the SGS GPS (maybe other people have different problems) is that it just drops all the Satellite locks for some unexplained reason. Once it loses lock it usually can't regain it because you're moving or whatever. When it is locked though I get very good accuracy and it's quick to update. Funny thing is you can watch it in GPS test. I could have GPS test open with 11 satellites in view, and 7 or 8 locked with 20-40+ SNR and then all of a sudden the signals are dropped while the satellites are still clearly in view.

Anyway...I hope Froyo fixes it for me. It's probably different for everyone else.

theraider

Oct 13, 2009
I tried this guide and it worked for me:

1. The firsts step is to dial the following codes on your Samsung Galaxy S:
* *#*#1472365#*#* If you are running Android 2.1 Eclair.
* *#*#3214789650#*#* If you have updated to Android 2.2 Froyo.
2. once you finish dialing the codes mentioned above, you will have a LbsTestMode screen on your phone with several option.
3. Now tap on Application Setting.
4. In Application Settings, click on Operations Mode followed by selecting Standalone.
5. Once you are back on Application Settings, tap on Start Mode and click Hot Start on the pop-up.
6. Now select GPS Plus and put it on by clicking the ON radio button.
7. Once done, click on SkyHook and also change it’s value to ON.
8. Now go back to the first screen and tap on SUPL / CP Settings.
9. Once you have done this, tap on Server FQDN Type followed by clicking on AUTO Config.

Once you are through all this hardwork, it’s time to reboot your handset. Once your Galaxy S boots, launch Google Maps and you will get the fix within 5 to 10 seconds. Enjoy GPSing!

tsinc

Feb 8, 2009
Iraklion
Unbelievable! :eek:
Even if I had all of the other settings allready as described, my gps was unstable (gps test). The only thing I changed was the FQDN (which was something like supl.google.com) and now it is stable and more accurate. It doesn't continously change the sats used for fix.
I can assure you it worked for me! :cool:

(stock eclair 2.1 JM2/JM1/JM1)

$omator

Dec 26, 2010
tri(p) city
www.facebook.com
from what ive spotted my gps was working normaly
but after last time it landed on the ground it takes a bit longer to obtain fix and stay on it
probably will have to dissasemble my unit and check all the connections

it is not a big change but still noticable

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You mean the bluetooth our the app?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Both. As i understand it, the app will only work with the bluetooth gps as long as the Galaxy can 'see' the gps unit via bluetooth, which it can't.
    You shouldnt be driving at 140-160km/h

Why not? Maybe he was on a derestricted toll road like the Nurburgring for example, or he was simply on the German Autobahn, where there's plenty of place where there is no speed limit. Or you're suggesting that you shouldn't drive at that speed anyway? :eek:
    I tried this guide and it worked for me:

Quote:
    1. The firsts step is to dial the following codes on your Samsung Galaxy S:
    * *#*#1472365#*#* If you are running Android 2.1 Eclair.
    * *#*#3214789650#*#* If you have updated to Android 2.2 Froyo.
    2. once you finish dialing the codes mentioned above, you will have a LbsTestMode screen on your phone with several option.
    3. Now tap on Application Setting.
    4. In Application Settings, click on Operations Mode followed by selecting Standalone.
    5. Once you are back on Application Settings, tap on Start Mode and click Hot Start on the pop-up.
    6. Now select GPS Plus and put it on by clicking the ON radio button.
    7. Once done, click on SkyHook and also change it’s value to ON.
    8. Now go back to the first screen and tap on SUPL / CP Settings.
    9. Once you have done this, tap on Server FQDN Type followed by clicking on AUTO Config.

Once you are through all this hardwork, it’s time to reboot your handset. Once your Galaxy S boots, launch Google Maps and you will get the fix within 5 to 10 seconds. Enjoy GPSing!

Does these instructions/secret codes still work on the Galaxy S after I've installed CM 10.1.2? I desperately need to improve the GPS...

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!