[Q] CyanogenMod Did Not Work on Galaxy S4 Verizon

Search This thread

nincman

Apr 2, 2014
Okay so I am a bit of a noob at flashing ROMs and such, but I really want to do it and get my Galaxy S4 (on verizon) as close to pure android as possible. I tried flashing three ROMs. The first was liquidsmooth got the right zip file and everything flashed it in ROM slot 3 on safestrap and went to reboot and it did not work, it came of with some trippy screen and did not load. I then tried flashing Hyperdrive but did this in the stock rom slot and that worked fine. So I tried doing the same thing with CyanogenMod flashing it in the stock rom slot and rebooting but it came up with the trippy screen just like it did when I tried flashing liquidsmooth.

I am a little bit of a noob with this stuff so some help would be great :)

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur
Okay so I am a bit of a noob at flashing ROMs and such, but I really want to do it and get my Galaxy S4 (on verizon) as close to pure android as possible. I tried flashing three ROMs. The first was liquidsmooth got the right zip file and everything flashed it in ROM slot 3 on safestrap and went to reboot and it did not work, it came of with some trippy screen and did not load. I then tried flashing Hyperdrive but did this in the stock rom slot and that worked fine. So I tried doing the same thing with CyanogenMod flashing it in the stock rom slot and rebooting but it came up with the trippy screen just like it did when I tried flashing liquidsmooth.

you need to research what you can do and can not do....before you turn your phone into a door stop....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2630040

Reactions: nincman

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma

Well if nothing else maybe you'll get familiar with Odin lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 5098235

you have to use the safestrap version for your firmware....

Oh ok. And another thing is after I root my S4 (Mk2) it says Ill get some custom flag thing during boot up? What does that mean? And once I go to a Kit kat ROM can I go back to stock 4.3? Like if I put the ROM on Stock Slot and i wanna go back to Original stock like i am now. Any way i can do that?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I'm sure Decaturbob will also answer you but. .

The custom flag/splash screen just means your phone has detected that is been modified. No biggie at all.

And you're not going to be able to load a Kit Kat rom just yet. They are working on a way to do it I heard but for now you're only going to be able to run TW roms based off your current build MK2.

There is no down grading your stock rom either.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Oh ok. And another thing is after I root my S4 (Mk2) it says Ill get some custom flag thing during boot up? What does that mean?

That's correct. The phone has an application that scans for modified system files and will detect that you're rooted. Then, when you boot, it'll show an image of an open padlock and the word "Custom" for a few seconds before continuing the boot.

Some people freak out over that. However, you don't have much choice here. If you want it rooted, then you're changing files on the ROM. That's customizing it, and will be detected. If you don't want it to show up as "Custom", then you want a factory stock device.

And once I go to a Kit kat ROM can I go back to stock 4.3? Like if I put the ROM on Stock Slot and i wanna go back to Original stock like i am now. Any way i can do that?

No. First, it's fairly likely that taking the Kit Kat 4.4 update will fail if you've modified your phone. You'll need to return it to very close to stock for 4.4 to apply cleanly.

Second, if you go to Kit Kat, your phone will be unrooted, Safestrap recovery will be removed, and you'll be stuck with a kernel that currently is not rootable. If you have a Verizon or AT&T phone (or any other with a locked bootloader), you won't be able to root it at the moment, so won't be able to do anything else.

Once VZ releases 4.4, we'll work on ways to get past factory stock, but that's not guaranteed to be successful until we see what VZ gives us.

Edit: And no, once you've updated to Kit Kat, you can't downgrade to 4.3. You'll need to use ROMs compatible with the 4.4 kernel.

D

Deleted member 5098235

That's correct. The phone has an application that scans for modified system files and will detect that you're rooted. Then, when you boot, it'll show an image of an open padlock and the word "Custom" for a few seconds before continuing the boot.

Some people freak out over that. However, you don't have much choice here. If you want it rooted, then you're changing files on the ROM. That's customizing it, and will be detected. If you don't want it to show up as "Custom", then you want a factory stock device.

No. First, it's fairly likely that taking the Kit Kat 4.4 update will fail if you've modified your phone. You'll need to return it to very close to stock for 4.4 to apply cleanly.

Second, if you go to Kit Kat, your phone will be unrooted, Safestrap recovery will be removed, and you'll be stuck with a kernel that currently is not rootable. If you have a Verizon or AT&T phone (or any other with a locked bootloader), you won't be able to root it at the moment, so won't be able to do anything else.

Once VZ releases 4.4, we'll work on ways to get past factory stock, but that's not guaranteed to be successful until we see what VZ gives us.

Edit: And no, once you've updated to Kit Kat, you can't downgrade to 4.3. You'll need to use ROMs compatible with the 4.4 kernel.

So right now since I got the Verizon Galaxy S4 (Mk2) there is no root for it? and would my safest thing to do is not even root it/ put custom ROM right? I just got it and it doesn't have insurance but I don't wanna mess up a great phone like this.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
So right now since I got the Verizon Galaxy S4 (Mk2) there is no root for it? and would my safest thing to do is not even root it/ put custom ROM right? I just got it and it doesn't have insurance but I don't wanna mess up a great phone like this.

MK2 can be rooted - click here.
Once rooted, you can install custom ROMs using Safestrap.

You really should, however, start here as that sticky thread will explain a lot of what you're asking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well if nothing else maybe you'll get familiar with Odin lol

you need to research what you can do and can not do....before you turn your phone into a door stop....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606501

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2630040