[Discussion] GPS Problems, Lock speed, Accuracy, Fixes - The Poll

Your GPS oppinion

• I use GPS a lot and it works great.

Votes: 238 13.5%
  • I use GPS a lot and sometimes it's Ok, other times unusable.

Votes: 405 22.9%
  • I use GPS a lot and it's really bad.

Votes: 427 24.2%
  • I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's OK.

Votes: 230 13.0%
  • I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's really bad.

Votes: 303 17.2%
  • Other/See Results.

Votes: 163 9.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Maybe we can start asking what version we are running the Galaxy S on.

I'm running mine on a stock ROM, no changes whatsoever and I have the GPS problems.

hmj2k3

Dec 9, 2009
I have not tested with the stock firmware but today I used the samsung navigation application and worked fine with firmware JF5.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Tachikoma_kun

Jan 16, 2009
Wales
I'm on JF3

Just ran the satellite checker app and I can get 5 satellites in my living room, whereas my HTC Touch HD couldn't find one. Outside I get another 2, and it gives me 13.6ft accuracy overall. Averages 3-5 used out of 7-odd, but it does randomly spazz out and say accuracy = 600ft for a fraction of a second.

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
Been running tests all evening, and its a mess. The Galaxy just wont hold a stable signal on any satellite, so position bounces between 30 to 500ft. The HTC HD and HD2 have consistent stable signals. Even fired up my old Dell Axim, and even that works properly.

*sigh*

I'm on firmware version XXJF3, which as I understand it is the only firmware released on UK phones.

I can see what the problem is clear as day. The phone will only lock on a satellite if its signal strength holds above 22 or so and since they all bounce between 12 to 28, it never maintains a consistent signal.

I'm not sure if we make the GPS chip inside the Galaxy S, we make a lot of them but I'll see if I can get someone on the phone on monday and get their take on it all.

Pika007

Jun 22, 2010
Really?
When i checked before i got a lock on 3 sattelites with signal between 17-19
I think it's a software problem rather than a hardware one.
The device does see enough sattelites, with strong enough signal, just usually doesn't even try to lock on them.

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
Really?
When i checked before i got a lock on 3 sattelites with signal between 17-19
I think it's a software problem rather than a hardware one.
The device does see enough sattelites, with strong enough signal, just usually doesn't even try to lock on them.

Can you post a pic from GPS Test, with the phone locking on satellites below 20.

Thanks.

bakalamaka

Jul 2, 2010
I'm on firmware version XXJF3, which as I understand it is the only firmware released on UK phones.

I have flashed the JF5 firmware on my phone and the GPS quality improved drastically. The GSP sensor is still kind of picky at times, but at least the accuracy jumps are history.

P.S. The firmware was never officially released — I got mine from samsung firmwares website, these guys have some connections to samsung employees and thus get their hands on unreleased firmware.

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
To be sure is working you need to use something like GPS Test. If you just run maps it will use cell towers and wifi too. So may look like its working better than it really is.

Although for every one of us with a problem, there seems to be another with GPS working fine.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
To be sure is working you need to use something like GPS Test. If you just run maps it will use cell towers and wifi too. So may look like its working better than it really is.

Although for every one of us with a problem, there seems to be another with GPS working fine.

Agree.... The GPSTest app is great in what it does...... just a shame the Galaxy S performs nowhere near as good as my HD2 and the older HD.

sjdean

Jul 3, 2010
It's not 22, the Samsung Galaxy S won't lock onto anything of 20 SnR or below unlike HTC Desire/G1 etc.

If you see a grey bar in "GPS Test", that is not a lock on, that is just "I can see this satellite".

The current XXJF3 software seems intent on only using upto 8 satellites, even though you may see 11 all with a good signal, you will only ever use 8.

I wonder if this is half of the problem, it cannot use all the satellites it sees, so when there's a bad signal from a couple in one direction, you lose your lock and it has to try to work frantically to establish a lock elsewhere.

Does XXJF5 allow a lock to more than 8 satellites? Does it open up use to Signal Strength of 20 or below?

sjdean

Jul 3, 2010
For those whose GPS is working fine, we need to know I think what your baseband version is, and whether you rebooted your phone prior?

I seem to get a better signal after a reboot. Better, but not perfect.

I must admit as well, you need to walk around the block and see what happens.

Although I think those of us with GPS problems will see problems when stationery, sometimes, you do get a strong lock on. But walk around a bit, and the thing gets confused. If you take a look at the Sky Map or Satellite Position maps in GPS Test et al, you will the direction "North" bounce around all over the place.

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
Hmm, this is interesting. Have just tried it again, and now it can see 8 and locks to 8, but the weather has changed in the past couple of hours as the temperature has dropped and its clouded over, so from I have just seen, I wonder if atmospherics have something to do with it.

SgtJoe86

Jun 30, 2010
Singapore
I too am facing some problem with getting a proper GPS lockon. Even after finding an open spot and spending couple of minutes searching for my destination, the phone still encounters problem getting a proper lockon. Sometimes it took a restart of the navigation app and turning off and on of the GPS receiver before it can finally get proper lock on the satellites.

Does it got anything to do with the phone design or firmware issue?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Which modem are you using with Darky's rom ?

JL2

10 chars...
    [video] Bluetooth GPS and SGS GPS compared

Yeah but who cares if signal is low indoors? Maybe it's always high outdoor? And maybe that with a good signal the SGS behave better than the Bluetooth GPS who knows?

Tests should be made under normal usage scenarios. And I see two main ones:

-Mounted in the windshield of a car
    -in a pocket while running/cycling/trekking/kayaking/skiing/parachuting/etc.
    I've had plenty of GPS problems so I trust you. However, I think you should record tracks while in your car if you want to proove someone that your GPS is wrong.
    OK, I've made a video: the SGS is mounted in my car (real condition - normal usage scenario) ;)

At the beginning I'm parked and then I drive in town.
    As I'm in town, there are some buildings and the car has an athermal windscreen so the satellite signal reception is not very good. However the GPS is still usable (you can see that sometime the accuracy of the bluetooth GPS drops briefly...).
    In this test the red mark is the current position reported by an old bluetooth SIRF III GPS and the green mark corresponds to the signal of my Galaxy S (I9000) internal GPS.
    The blue circles represent the accuracy reported for each GPS. The mark size is approximately 5 to 10 meters and the map is centred on the bluetooth GPS.
    As I was in the car I can say that the bluetooth GPS position was quite accurate...
    Sorry, I didnt pay attention before, but now I see your "video" is very interesting!
    Which softwares are you using in order to:

Use both ( a internal and a external) gps receivers at the SAME TIME and allowing MOCK location??
    For the bluetooth GPS, I'm using BlueGPS4Droid which works pretty well with my BT-338. I have configured it to redirect the bluetooth GPS on its own GPS provider. So the internal GPS and the bluetooth GPS are both available at the same time :cool:
    Which software you use to capture video on screen?
    I'm using ShootMe (Screen Grabber) developed by Johan Cloetens.
    Did you ever run a offboard gps program like iGo or Navigon, which are much more reliable than Google navigation?
    How can I compare both GPS, if I use a app that tempers the GPS data ?
    No misunderstanding, that's fine... but not for this particular purpose.
    On the other hand, I prefer also to use open data (OpenStreetMap) and open source software when I can...
    Just back from a long car trip to Germany and my sgs ran iGo MyWay (8.4), flawlessly not only on the highway but also inside the busy city of Hamburg, without any assist of an external bluetooth or a-gps ..

Anyway I am interesting on that software (video screen capture)..
    My video cam is on a strike
    Since Samsung's last official Froyo update, the GPS of my SGS (July version) doesn't last more than 5 minutes after the first fix. So it's barely usable even with a very good navigation app (another of the many problems I have with my SGS GPS...).
    Except that (and the lack of notification led) it's a great phone.