Before I jump ship I'd like to know...

Search This thread

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
I'm about to preorder the Z2, but there are some things that I need to know before doing it:

1.Has sony had problems with too cold (blue)/ too warm (yellow) screens?

2. The holes on the left side are for a charging dock, that I know but I don't i'll ever use it, does the phone come with a flap to cover it?

3. Do Z/Z1 have been known to shatter easily? I've always thought having a glass back is a terrible idea, and after havinf the Nexus 4 I promised myself I wouldn't buy a phone with a glass back again, I was always so paranoid, it wasn't fun, I still see Iphones 4/4s and nexus 4 with cracked backs :crying: , I know the Z phones used to come with a screen protector out of the box, but I'm interested in the stories of people who took it off, since the new Z2 does not come with this protector anymore.

4. Can you get rid of that ugly bar with icons when you multitask to put some kind of widgets on the homescreen?

5. Is it true that the corners have been softened? They look identical to me on pictures

6. how long did it take developers to unlock the Z/Z1 bootloader? I'm not planning on flashing roms ever again, but I like having root and couldn't have an android phone without xposed :laugh:

7.Why was the battery life just ok with the z1? It has a 3000 mah but the LG G2 for example lasted quite a bit more with the same battery capacity and so did the Note 3 with a considerably bigger screen

8. No hope for a 32 gb version?

9: Does the phone have qualcom's quickcharge 2.0 like the G2? The LG G2 battery charges in under 2 hours! The Z1 doesn't have it, it takes the phone 3 hours to go from 0% to 100% :(

Thanks guys :highfive:

Last edited:
G

GuestX0057

Can't answer every question but I'll do my best.

1. The Z1 has had problems with warm screen colors. Actually to an extent that they made an update that brought a screen calibration app to help with the issue.

2. At least my friends Z or my Z1 didn't cover the magnetic charger pins.

3. No, the Z1 has actually been surprisingly durable in drop tests and there doesn't seem to be many complaints of shattered glass. Sony claims that the Z2 will also be shatter resistant even though it doesn't have that ASF (anti shatter film)

4. Not sure what bar you mean but you can add widgets like any other Android device.

5. This is a claim about the lens and even though it may be valid I haven't seen people complain much about this. The problems with the past Xperia phone cameras are with software and processing mostly.

6. Sony gave instructions and tools to unlock the bootloader for everyone and I believe they will continue with this trend - this is basically a non-issue. Unlocking the BL on the Z1 did remove access to some of Sony's proprietary software though such as Bionz which then affected picture processing negatively.

7. The battery life was greatly improved with an early update and is now a lot closer to the LG G2

8. Never seen even one Z1 with 32GB... But they all have micro so slots.

9. The Z1 doesn't have quick charge however I don't know about the Z2.

Last edited:

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Can't answer every question but I'll do my best.

1. The Z1 has had problems with warm screen colors. Actually to an extent that they made an update that brought a screen calibration app to help with the issue.

3. No, the Z1 has actually been surprisingly durable in drop tests and there doesn't seem to be many complaints of shattered glass. Sony claims that the Z2 will also be shatter resistant even though it doesn't have that ASF (anti shatter film)

4. Not sure what bar you mean but you can add widgets like any other Android device.

5. This is a claim about the lens and even though it may be valid I haven't seen people complain much about this. The problems with the past Xperia phone cameras are with software and processing mostly.

6. Sony gave instructions and tools to unlock the bootloader for everyone and I believe they will continue with this trend - this is basically a non-issue. Unlocking the BL on the Z1 did remove access to some of Sony's proprietary software though such as Bionz which then affected picture processing negatively.

7. The battery life was greatly improved with an early update and is now a lot closer to the LG G2

8. Never seen even one Z1 with 32GB... But they all have micro so slots.

9. The Z1 doesn't have quick charge however I don't know about the Z2.

So that's why they created the calibration app, haha I was so naive I thought it was just because they wanted to give the customer some extra tweaking options .

What about scratches?

I meant this bar :
e9eza8y6.jpg

And I meant the corners of the phone , I've read the corners of the z/z1 dig into the palms of people

uvenuzy3.jpg

And the camera issue with the sides of the picture concern me, I'm thinking its a hardware issue because the z2 samples show the same situation :'( check out the grass on the left and right corners :'(

etuvumyt.jpg

OK Sony provides with instructions to unlock the bootloader but does it void the warranty?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Last edited:
G

GuestX0057

What about scratches?

And I meant the corners of the phone , I've read the corners of the z/z1 dig into the palms of people.

OK Sony provides with instructions to unlock the bootloader but does it void the warranty?
The ASF is extremely easy to scratch but I haven't heard about people having problems with the actual Dragontrail screen under it and I doupt the ASF-less Z2 will have issues with scratching.

The corners of the phone I guess can be a little rugged but I haven't had an issue with that and they don't dig into my hands. I suppose it's up to people depending on how and where they hold the phone and how large their hands are. The Z2 indeed seems the same corner-wise as the Z1.

And yes, unlocking the bootloader does void warranty as it does with all manufacturers, however at least with the Z1 it could be rooted without unlocking the bootloader. Also it's possible to go back to a factory looking state (unlike Samsungs Knox which will always show 0x1 even if tripped).

Could you please reload the attachments or upload them to flickr/dropbox? I can't see the attachments at all.

---
Edit: If the picture quality concerns you then I suggest waiting until you can see more pictures from commercial units. The Z1 has it's issues and due to the same hardware it is entirely possible those will follow to the Z2.

Last edited:

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
The ASF is extremely easy to scratch but I haven't heard about people having problems with the actual Dragontrail screen under it and I doupt the ASF-less Z2 will have issues with scratching.

The corners of the phone I guess can be a little rugged but I haven't had an issue with that and they don't dig into my hands. I suppose it's up to people depending on how and where they hold the phone and how large their hands are. The Z2 indeed seems the same corner-wise as the Z1.

And yes, unlocking the bootloader does void warranty as it does with all manufacturers, however at least with the Z1 it could be rooted without unlocking the bootloader. Also it's possible to go back to a factory looking state (unlike Samsungs Knox which will always show 0x1 even if tripped).

Could you please reload the attachments or upload them to flickr/dropbox? I can't see the attachments at all.

---
Edit: If the picture quality concerns you then I suggest waiting until you can see more pictures from commercial units. The Z1 has it's issues and due to the same hardware it is entirely possible those will follow to the Z2.

I thought the xperia z1/z2 used gorilla glass 3 , that's interesting .

Yes HTC does that too but a couple of months after the release of the phone ,developers make "s off" and you get to unlock your bootloader without voiding the warranty .

You're right I should wait a bit to read people's opinions, I saw no mention of this issue on reviews :/

I reuploaded the attachments :)

G

GuestX0057

I thought the xperia z1/z2 used gorilla glass 3 , that's interesting .

Yes HTC does that too but a couple of months after the release of the phone ,developers make "s off" and you get to unlock your bootloader without voiding the warranty .

You're right I should wait a bit to read people's opinions, I saw no mention of this issue on reviews :/

I reuploaded the attachments :)
Dragontrail should be just as good as Gorilla Glass - it's just a different product for the same purpose.

I have HTCs One X and to this day it doesn't have S OFF. The grass always seems greener on the other side :)

That issue you mentioned in pictures, I never saw it in Z1 reviews either. I first bumped into it here at XDA.

And oh THAT bar. It's just for opening up mini apps that work a bit like floating video from Samsung i.e. on top of the system. Widgets are added from the home screen settings as usual.

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Dragontrail should be just as good as Gorilla Glass - it's just a different product for the same purpose.

I have HTCs One X and to this day it doesn't have S OFF. The grass always seems greener on the other side :)

That issue you mentioned in pictures, I never saw it in Z1 reviews either. I first bumped into it here at XDA.

And oh THAT bar. It's just for opening up mini apps that work a bit like floating video from Samsung i.e. on top of the system. Widgets are added from the home screen settings as usual.

I'm not saying it's bad ,I just thought gorilla glass had a monopoly on the high end .

I didn't know the one x didn't have s off :( , now I'm confused, s off is basically unlocking the bootloader but without giving HTC your serial code, so you can keep using your warranty, right?

Yes that's the bar I meant, can you get rid of it ? I don't like it :(

G

GuestX0057

I didn't know the one x didn't have s off :( , now I'm confused, s off is basically unlocking the bootloader but without giving HTC your serial code, so you can keep using your warranty, right?

Yes that's the bar I meant, can you get rid of it ? I don't like it :(
No, S OFF is basically access to a certain portion (NAND) of the device which is locked and unwritable when S ON. In a nutshell - read around the internet for more information. But not every HTC phone has S OFF so development on those phones isn't always any better.

And I don't think you can get rid of that bar because it's literally the only way to open those mini apps. You can just ignore it.

vicedens2002

Mar 27, 2010
Chennai
This thread answered me a lot of questions. I hope I will dive into z2. Currently having HTC desire HD. Only I miss is the IR

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

rowlers

Nov 20, 2010
Yep this is an informative thread... Answered many of my queries too!
What are sony's like for flashing ROMS? With my s3 it's very easy - I can download and flash on the go. Is this the case with the z1/z2?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

stress40

Yep, I agree that this is a very informative thread. I am also curious about the flashing aspect of the z2 and Sony phones in general. Like the guy above me, I have also nearly flashed my s3 to death. As this will be my first Sony Android phone, are they as easy as my s3 to root and flash? I have been on the other forums and trying to read and see but, it gets all a bit confusing with info here, there and everywhere lol. I have my z2 on pre order so have made the commitment to jump ship already. Will be sad to see my s3 go :crying:. It has been a great phone. Anyway, heres to a great future with an awesome phone :D

G

GuestX0057

What are sony's like for flashing ROMS? With my s3 it's very easy - I can download and flash on the go. Is this the case with the z1/z2?

I am also curious about the flashing aspect of the z2 and Sony phones in general. Like the guy above me, I have also nearly flashed my s3 to death. As this will be my first Sony Android phone, are they as easy as my s3 to root and flash? I have been on the other forums and trying to read and see but, it gets all a bit confusing with info here, there and everywhere lol.

Sony gives tools and instructions to unlock the bootloader and flashing isn't too difficult. The process is different from flashing with Samsung though. It even used to be possible to root without unlocking the BL but they have made that harder in later updates at least on the Z1. You need a computer to root and install the recovery but after that flashing can be done rather easily.

You have to be sure to install a recovery and do a backup before unlocking the bootloader or you will lose a partition that holds Sony's proprietary DRM keys forever
(they are unique for each device). These keys hold access to BIONZ and some other tech/software that isn't accessible on unlocked devices.

stress40

Sony gives tools and instructions to unlock the bootloader and flashing isn't too difficult. The process is different from flashing with Samsung though. It even used to be possible to root without unlocking the BL but they have made that harder in later updates at least on the Z1. You need a computer to root and install the recovery but after that flashing can be done rather easily.

You have to be sure to install a recovery and do a backup before unlocking the bootloader or you will lose a partition that holds Sony's proprietary DRM keys forever
(they are unique for each device). These keys hold access to BIONZ and some other tech/software that isn't accessible on unlocked devices.

Thanks man :good: That's the most important bit I was looking for. So, you can install a standard recovery like Phil's touch etc? or have the devs. made one specific for Sony phones? I think I may have to buy a second hand Sony for a bit of practice lol... Anyway, thanks for the reply and info mate :D

Why So Serious?

Apr 28, 2012
London
I think one really important thing that the people new to Sony need to know is that when purchasing via a carrier, the carrier can disable the option to unlock the bootloader and there is literally no way around this.

To this date, the devs have still managed to obtain root and recovery on Locked Bootloaders but it has become more and more difficult (I'm not even sure if the latest Z1 or Z1C firmwares have been rooted yet - could someone confirm?), but custom ROMs and Kernels that aren't based on stock can't be done.

To ensure you get a device with an unlockable bootloader, avoid purchasing through a carrier. I'm pre-ordering mine through Clove as they don't sell locked down devices.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

G

GuestX0057

Thanks man :good: That's the most important bit I was looking for. So, you can install a standard recovery like Phil's touch etc? or have the devs. made one specific for Sony phones?
Yes, most standard recoveries work including CWM, Philz and TWRP

I think one really important thing that the people new to Sony need to know is that when purchasing via a carrier, the carrier can disable the option to unlock the bootloader and there is literally no way around this.
This is true but carriers also do this on other devices, they aren't singling out Sony. Especially American carriers do this.

So my next tip is really a general tip, not just for Sony or Z2:

If you want a phone with development opportunities, get an international edition if possible because they usually don't have locked bootloaders like carrier versions. Secondly be prepared for issues; manufacturers are complicating flashing and giving a hard time after unlocking bootloaders.

- Samsung has Knox (bye bye warranty)
- Sony has proprietary DRM stuff that will be gone after unlocking
- HTC has S ON

Etc.

It seems that gone are the days of fully accessible development unless you get a Nexus or Google Play Edition.

stress40

@akselic

Thanks for the rely m8 :good: .

Yeah, I only buy unlocked phones anyway. My days of buying carrier branded phones and being tied to a 2 or 3 year contract are long gone. Just now, I am on a 1 year plan- mainly network access i.e. 3g unlimited with 3000mins for €20 month (calls to any network included) sim only. So, in April I will go and haggle a new LTE one for another year :laugh: . Like most carriers, it is easy to upgrade before end of year.

Let's see what the z2 brings in terms of modification potential. Can't wait :D

vicedens2002

Mar 27, 2010
Chennai
Thanks guys. Few posts above clarifies another set of questions. Actually what is the need for unlocking a boot loader. Because root and recovery and custom roms can be installed even with locked bootloader, it's hard but it can done right? There are custom roms based on stock Sony Rom? Another thing, if google announces z2 google play edition. We still be getting the play edition updates unofficially?

P.S..Am coming from HTC Desire HD. Which has been flashed a zillion times in the past 3 years.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
You have to be sure to install a recovery and do a backup before unlocking the bootloader or you will lose a partition that holds Sony's proprietary DRM keys forever (they are unique for each device). These keys hold access to BIONZ and some other tech/software that isn't accessible on unlocked devices.

Sounds difficult. Didn't know all that stuff about Sony phones: losing DRM keys, etc.

So what happens after unlocking and rooted? Does this DRM keys and propietary software get lost forever? Then you can't go back to stock Sony rom? Or you can but there are things that won't work?

G

GuestX0057

Actually what is the need for unlocking a boot loader. Because root and recovery and custom roms can be installed even with locked bootloader, it's hard but it can done right? There are custom roms based on stock Sony Rom? Another thing, if google announces z2 google play edition. We still be getting the play edition updates unofficially?
No maybe I was being vague, sorry. Rooting and recovery installing was possible without unlocking the bootloader. They made it harder in later upgrades though. You need to unlock the bootloader to be able to install custom roms or kernels.

There are both AOSP based roms and stock based roms for the Z1 and I think the Z also.

I'm not able to answer about Google Play Edition - there never was one for the Z1.

So what happens after unlocking and rooted? Does this DRM keys and propietary software get lost forever? Then you can't go back to stock Sony rom? Or you can but there are things that won't work?
If you didn't backup, then yes, the DRM keys are gone for good. You can go back to stock but some things including BIONZ won't work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hopefully it's just like my tab z, that you can root only without effecting bootloader then make a backup of TA which holds the DRM software keys for any Sony software u might break unlocking bootloader. Then have option to unlock bootloader if wanted.
    As far as I know unlocking bootloader is only needed for installing roms with custom kernels. I could probably get most mods I'd be interested in with xposed and root only.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Originally Posted by SwiftSmoke View Post
    As far as I know unlocking bootloader is only needed for installing roms with custom kernels. I could probably get most mods I'd be interested in with xposed and root only.

This is what I'm looking for in the Z2 too. I just want to be able to have full control of my phone and get rid of crap I don't use. So bring it on. Hell a month is gonna be a long wait :eek:
    I was too stupid, I was hesitating, waiting for HTC's announcement of the new one, I'm still holding on to the possibility that the phone will have a 3000 mah battery, and that the camera will take photos bigger than 4 mp , but it seems more unlikely everyday, yesterday I said f**k it I'm gonna preorder it but it's not possible anymore, at least on sonys website :mad:

You should wait till HTC one is announced before preordering any phone.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app