[Solved] Kind of soft brick?

Search This thread

memyselfand06

Jun 21, 2014
Hello.

I'm having an issue with my phone and I really can't fix it. I've tried for a few days before posting here.
I have CWM installed, but I first had TWRP. It's an HTC by Telus, Canada.

So, the problems:
  • I can't factory reset since it will give me errors like "error mounting /data" and "error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure"
  • I can't even acccess the sdcard, it will say "E: Can't mount /sdcard" so I definitely cant install a new ROM
  • I had installed CM 11 but it will never go pass the logo (I'm assuming it can't since sdcard is unavailable)
  • I tried installing via ADB sideload and I get "* failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)' *"

I'm desperate I have no idea what to do and where to start.

Thanks

P.S. : I don't remember how to output all the information like version-main and stuff, I'd do it with pleasure if someone points it out. And it's S-ON

Ok, issue fixed! A proper RUU worked fine to reset my phone, all good! Still don't know what was the initial problem but now that it's solved I'm happy

Last edited:

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
the command to post your output is fastboot getvar all, remove serial and imei before posting.

after you have done that, stay in fastboot mode and type fastboot erase cache

the flash TWRP 2.6.3.3 and see if you can get into it.

once in goto - wipe - advanced wipe and select everything in the list, including internal memory and format the whole phone.

you will then have to push a rom of your choice and flash it.

memyselfand06

Jun 21, 2014
the command to post your output is fastboot getvar all, remove serial and imei before posting.

after you have done that, stay in fastboot mode and type fastboot erase cache

the flash TWRP 2.6.3.3 and see if you can get into it.

once in goto - wipe - advanced wipe and select everything in the list, including internal memory and format the whole phone.

you will then have to push a rom of your choice and flash it.

Output:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.24.3218.09
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.19.661.8
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: TELUS001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4093mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-4dab9d12
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.040s

Erasing cache:
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.065s]
finished. total time: 0.066s

Installing recovery:
target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
sending 'recovery' (10854 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.692s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.752s]
finished. total time: 2.445s

But it's stuck before getting to recovery. "Entering recovery" won't go away...

memyselfand06

Jun 21, 2014
It doesn't work. windows will give me an error and ask to debug the RUU. Not sure if that's my computer or the executable...

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
It doesn't work. windows will give me an error and ask to debug the RUU. Not sure if that's my computer or the executable...

can you check the file size of that RUU you downloaded please, in properties on your PC, it should be 1.5gb, ive just tried downloading it myself and it says completed but its only 148mb, when I tried to run it I go a similar error to what you are getting, just means there is a problem with the site at the moment and will be fixed shortly, you'll have to wait until then to grab the file, just keep trying until you get the full file size.

Last time this happened to this site a few weeks back, he said some hacker in Canada was sending a back door reset to his site every few minutes.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

found another download site with the same file that you can try and grab it from instead: http://androidruu.com/getdownload.php?file=M7/RUU_M7_UL_K44_SENSE55_MR_TELUS_WWE_4.19.661.8_R_Radio_4T.24.3218.09_10.26.1718.01L_release_351500_signed_2.exe

Last edited:

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
Hmm. Mine has 750mb. I guess it's still no good.

But I still can't get into recovery .. :(

you wont need recovery to flash an RUU, just relock your bootloader, plug your phone into the computer and run the RUU, and no that file is no good, that's why you are getting the error, although it says its complete, you only have 50% of it, delete it and try the other site linked below, androidruu.com

http://androidruu.com/getdownload.p...09_10.26.1718.01L_release_351500_signed_2.exe

Last edited:

memyselfand06

Jun 21, 2014
you wont need recovery to flash an RUU, just relock your bootloader, plug your phone into the computer and run the RUU, and no that file is no good, that's why you are getting the error, although it says its complete, you only have 50% of it, delete it and try the other site linked below, androidruu.com

http://androidruu.com/getdownload.p...09_10.26.1718.01L_release_351500_signed_2.exe

Ok, thanks, I'll redownload the file. Will it restore stock recovery as well? I got all this mess because I wanted to install an OTA update for HTC sense 6.0 and everything that came with it and I think I need stock recovery in order to install official updates...