[GUIDE] Enable ad-hoc tethering on your Transformer (needs root!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
Update: If you are using the official firmware 8.6.5.9 (and obviously above) or any custom ROM based on it, you don't have to do anythink described here, because ad-hoc works natively. Thankfully ASUS fixed Googles unintelligible inability to enable connection to ad-hoc networks.

This renders this thread pretty much obsolete, but I won't delete it, just in case anyone doesn't want to or cannot update his device for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Hi!

As there are only [Q]uestion threads about ad-hoc tethering by now, I thought I'd write a little guide how to enable it on our Transformer.

edit: If you are using Prime v1.5 (and above I guess), you don't have to do this. Roach2010 already included the modified wpa_supplicant, so you can already use ad-hoc tethering.

All credits and many thanks go to szym for the edited wpa_supplicant that makes ad-hoc possible for us!

!!! Always make a nandroid backup via recovery first! You can then reflash your backup if something fails !!!

I. Via root explorer (obviously requires root access):

If you bought root explorer from the market, you should be able to easily copy and replace the file.

1.) Go to /system/bin and copy the file „wpa_supplicant“ to your sd card as a backup.
2.) Then copy the „wpa_supplicant“ from the attached zip file and paste it into /system/bin.
3.) Long press the file and set permissions to rwxr-xr-x, like this:

User: read, write, execute
Group: read, execute
Others: read, execute

4.) Reboot

Finally tried it myself and works fine ;)

II. Alternative method via adb (requires root access):

This is a forwarded guide from the Xoom section. I tried it myself and it works like a charm. You can find it here.

All credits for the following guide go to kelvie !

1.) Your Transformer has to be rooted! (you'll find a guide how to root here)
2.) Make a backup of your system/bin/wpa_supplicant first!
3.) Unpack the attached wpa_supplicant_xoom_wifi_adhoc.zip file to your adb folder. (if you don't know how to use adb, google for one of the many guides, or look below for another option via root explorer :))
4.) push the file to system/bin/wpa_supplicant:
Code:
adb remount
adb push system/bin/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
5.) Because zipfiles don't store permission, you have to make it executable as well:
Code:
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
6.) You also have to change the permissions on /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf for some reason:
Code:
adb shell chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
7.) reboot

Again, many thanks to kelvie for the guide!

III. Easiest method (requires ClockWorkMod recovery and root):

1.)Download the attached CWM_adhoc_wpa_supplicant_TF101.zip to your sd-card. Make sure to copy it to /Removable/MicroSD, because /mnt/sdcard cannot be accessed from CWM
2.) Boot into CWM recovery.
3.) Hit "install zip from sdcard" --> "choose zip from sdcard", select the zip and confirm.
4.) Reboot

Done. You should now be able to tether your ad-hoc connection ;)

This method doesn't seem to work because I missed an option and don't know right now how to fix it. So if somebody knows how to do this via edify script, please help me out:
Code:
chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Use one of the methods above in the meantime, they works flawless.

Q&A

Q: Which app should I use for tethering on my phone? Do I need root access for tethering apps?

A: If your phone doesn't support native tethering, just search the Android Market for 'Wifi tether'. There are a lot of apps for that ;) . I tested Barnacle Wifi Tether on my Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with 2.3.4 MIUI ROM, which worked fine, but I guess all/most tether apps should work fine now. :) And yes, unless you have native tethering, your phone has to be rooted.

Q: Barnacle gives me the following error on the phone: "DHCP could not bind to DHCP port, address already in use", and my TF is stuck at "obtaining IP Address from barnacle". What should I do?

A: rpavich has found a solution for that. Thanks rpavich!
1. Change SSID to whatever you want
2. Change Channel to 6
3. Custom Wifi Ad-hoc to none
4. Skip wpa_supplicant checked
5. Restart your phone (just to make sure...)

Regards
qwer23

Edit: I wasn't sure if this belongs in General or Android Dev section, so mods feel free to move it where it fits best.

Edit2: Attached original wpa_supplicant files for 3.0 and 3.1 (don't know if there's a difference, but I doubt it) if someone wants to reset to stock.

If you find this guide helpful, consider pressing the thanks button ;)

Attachments

• wpa_supplicant_xoom_wifi_adhoc.zip
    161.1 KB · Views: 4,971
Last edited:

philsuf

Mar 22, 2011
awesome. a few more working confirmation from the others and i wont have to kiss my nokia e71 goodbye

Skeldave

Oct 18, 2010
i just tried it, it connected to barnacle wifi but i couldnt get the internet to work. ill try again tomorrow, it may be my phone.

thaddyusmaximus

Nov 13, 2008
I've done this last week and noticed when stopping my hotspot on the phone the connection on the transformer shows it is still connected. So you have to manual disconnect if you want to reconnect again for later use. This is on my Nokia N8 Phone using JoikuSpot.

rpavich

Mar 23, 2011
I tried to do this via the root explorer and it said "you cannot paste here because the file system is read only"

Skeldave

Oct 18, 2010
Did your phone show the barnacle symbol in the notification bar and tell you that a device is connected?

Sent from my rooted X10i using awesome custom roms

Yes, the barnacle symbol was in the notification bar and my TF appeared on the 'client' tab, also the TF said that it was connected to barnacle wifi.

I'm going to try again now

EDIT: Worked perfectly this morning, thanks!

I did it via root explorer FYI

Last edited:

jake21

Apr 29, 2011
This seems like a rather minor change to wpa_suppliant.conf; any clue if google will fix this in honeycomb? Not sure I understand why it isn't enabled by default...

rpavich

Mar 23, 2011
Ok...trouble getting this to work.

1.) On my Xperia X10; message in Barnacle:

"DHCP could not bind to DHCP port, address already in use"

2.) On my TF: it's stuck at "obtaining IP Address from barnacle"

rpavich

Mar 23, 2011
Ok....found the solution (on another XDA forum section)

I did the following and connected just fine!

2. Change Channel to 6

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
Ok....found the solution (on another XDA forum section)

I did the following and connected just fine!

2. Change Channel to 6

Mind if i add this to the op? There might be others with this issue.

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
This seems like a rather minor change to wpa_suppliant.conf; any clue if google will fix this in honeycomb? Not sure I understand why it isn't enabled by default...

I don't have a clue either why this isn't enabled by default, but I think they'll add this in the 3.1 update. But it's just a suggestion, didn't read anything about it though.

sanfaz

Mar 13, 2011
I used this method from my rooted OG Droid and the Xoom and it worked perfectly. I have to wait for my son in law to root my TF to try it out. Would I only need to root the TF for this to work?

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
I used this method from my rooted OG Droid and the Xoom and it worked perfectly. I have to wait for my son in law to root my TF to try it out. Would I only need to root the TF for this to work?

At the moment you need to root both your TF and your phone. But if you use Clockworkmod, you probably don't need a rooted TF, because I'm preparing an update.zip to flash via CWM ;)

Your phone has definitely to be rooted, ecxept it supports wifi tethering from stock.

edit: darn, amend scripting is no longer supported in Honeycomb. Anyone knows how to change the zip for edify scripting?

edit2: ok, probably got it solved. we'll see...

Last edited:

qwer23

Jan 6, 2010
Realm of Württemberg
Ok, I added a zip file for easy install through ClockWorkMod to the OP. It installed fine on my TF101 and tethering works, but please backup your wpa_supplicant before installing this and report any errors. I didn't work with edify scripts before :eek:

I also restructured the guide itself, from easiest to most complicate method ;)

Cheers
qwer23

rrushhour

Feb 10, 2008
Would this mod work with an old TP2 windows mobile phone? Will the TF then be able to use it's wifi signal?
Also, if the TF is rooted, will we be able to accept the 3.1 HC update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: If you are using the official firmware 8.6.5.9 (and obviously above) or any custom ROM based on it, you don't have to do anythink described here, because ad-hoc works natively. Thankfully ASUS fixed Googles unintelligible inability to enable connection to ad-hoc networks.

This renders this thread pretty much obsolete, but I won't delete it, just in case anyone doesn't want to or cannot update his device for whatever reason :rolleyes:

Hi!

As there are only [Q]uestion threads about ad-hoc tethering by now, I thought I'd write a little guide how to enable it on our Transformer.

edit: If you are using Prime v1.5 (and above I guess), you don't have to do this. Roach2010 already included the modified wpa_supplicant, so you can already use ad-hoc tethering.

All credits and many thanks go to szym for the edited wpa_supplicant that makes ad-hoc possible for us!

!!! Always make a nandroid backup via recovery first! You can then reflash your backup if something fails !!!

I. Via root explorer (obviously requires root access):

If you bought root explorer from the market, you should be able to easily copy and replace the file.

1.) Go to /system/bin and copy the file „wpa_supplicant“ to your sd card as a backup.
    2.) Then copy the „wpa_supplicant“ from the attached zip file and paste it into /system/bin.
    3.) Long press the file and set permissions to rwxr-xr-x, like this:

User: read, write, execute
    Group: read, execute
    Others: read, execute

4.) Reboot

Finally tried it myself and works fine ;)

II. Alternative method via adb (requires root access):

This is a forwarded guide from the Xoom section. I tried it myself and it works like a charm. You can find it here.

All credits for the following guide go to kelvie !

1.) Your Transformer has to be rooted! (you'll find a guide how to root here)
    2.) Make a backup of your system/bin/wpa_supplicant first!
    3.) Unpack the attached wpa_supplicant_xoom_wifi_adhoc.zip file to your adb folder. (if you don't know how to use adb, google for one of the many guides, or look below for another option via root explorer :))
    4.) push the file to system/bin/wpa_supplicant:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push system/bin/wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    5.) Because zipfiles don't store permission, you have to make it executable as well:
    Code:
    adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    6.) You also have to change the permissions on /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf for some reason:
    Code:
    adb shell chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
    7.) reboot

Again, many thanks to kelvie for the guide!

III. Easiest method (requires ClockWorkMod recovery and root):

1.)Download the attached CWM_adhoc_wpa_supplicant_TF101.zip to your sd-card. Make sure to copy it to /Removable/MicroSD, because /mnt/sdcard cannot be accessed from CWM
    2.) Boot into CWM recovery.
    3.) Hit "install zip from sdcard" --> "choose zip from sdcard", select the zip and confirm.
    4.) Reboot

Done. You should now be able to tether your ad-hoc connection ;)

This method doesn't seem to work because I missed an option and don't know right now how to fix it. So if somebody knows how to do this via edify script, please help me out:
    Code:
    chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Use one of the methods above in the meantime, they works flawless.

Q&A

Q: Which app should I use for tethering on my phone? Do I need root access for tethering apps?

A: If your phone doesn't support native tethering, just search the Android Market for 'Wifi tether'. There are a lot of apps for that ;) . I tested Barnacle Wifi Tether on my Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with 2.3.4 MIUI ROM, which worked fine, but I guess all/most tether apps should work fine now. :) And yes, unless you have native tethering, your phone has to be rooted.

Q: Barnacle gives me the following error on the phone: "DHCP could not bind to DHCP port, address already in use", and my TF is stuck at "obtaining IP Address from barnacle". What should I do?

A: rpavich has found a solution for that. Thanks rpavich!
    2. Change Channel to 6

Regards
    qwer23

Edit: I wasn't sure if this belongs in General or Android Dev section, so mods feel free to move it where it fits best.

Edit2: Attached original wpa_supplicant files for 3.0 and 3.1 (don't know if there's a difference, but I doubt it) if someone wants to reset to stock.

If you find this guide helpful, consider pressing the thanks button ;)
    The Root Explorer method worked perfectly first time for me on 3.1, thanks.

Has anyone tried inserting the modified wpa_supplicant into the latest 3.2 upgrade yet?

Daren't risk 3.2 until I know it works. :eek:

Yes. I have and it works perfectly. Just use the Xoom 3.2 wpa_supplicant with adhoc. I linked to it in a thread in the Q&A section.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16198661&postcount=24

Don't flash with CWM as it doesn't work. Just manually move it with Root Explorer and change the permissions.
    Mind if i add this to the op? There might be others with this issue.

Not at all....as i said...I got that from another part of the XDA forum... :D
    Would this mod work with an old TP2 windows mobile phone? Will the TF then be able to use it's wifi signal?
    Also, if the TF is rooted, will we be able to accept the 3.1 HC update?

If your WM phone creates an ad-hoc connection, this should work. I don't really know a lot about tethering on WM, maybe there are apps for that on the Windows marketplace?

As long as you have still the stock firmware and kernel installed, i guess rooting shouldn't affect your update functionality. Plus, you can still unroot ;)

Cheers
    qwer23