You have got to be kidding me.. i9023

Search This thread

wangjt

Jul 25, 2010
Samsung was working directly 1 on 1 with Google to make the Nexus S. You REALLY think they wouldn't ask Google to hold back 2.3 from the Nexus One for 3-4 months in order to increase peoples desire of the Nexus S???

If anything, I would say it was mostly Google's for the delay. They themselves wanted people to move to the Nexus S because they're trying to gamble on that NFC feature. And gingerbread was created mainly for the Nexus S, not Nexus One. It will take time for it to be ported to the Nexus One since they are completely different phones.

If you don't think Samsung is a company that would do that then you need to see how they handled the Behold II update and Vibrant update they are holding back in order to increase desire for the Vibrant Plus...

I came from the Vibrant. I know about all the delays but even still everything about why it's delayed is still speculation at this point. I personally think it has more to do with Samsung's lack of priority in supporting older devices since they have a reputation of horrible update timelines. Afterall, they make $ selling phones, not updating older devices so it would only make sense that they put more resources into making new phones rather than updating the software. I don't think holding back the update on the original vibrant would increase the desire for the Vibrant+. Delaying this update has proven to only piss off a large amount of vibrant owners and turn more people away from purchasing another Samsung.

"Hey Google, please hold back 2.4 ota update from the Nexus S so we can sell this new phone some more" - signed, Samsung

Sounds pretty easy to me :rolleyes:

Then again I'm all about the conspiracy theories ;)

It's possible but what's in it for Google? That's like Samsung telling Google, "hey jump off this bridge" and Google going "dur!! okay!!!"

Keep in mind, Google doesn't make $ off the sale of new phones. They don't care which one you get as long as you purchase Android.

Regardless, even if the new phone came out with 2.4 before the Nexus S, knowing the pace of Samsung, the Nexus S will still be getting Ice Cream Sandwich before this new phone (if there even is a new phone).

t3rabyte

Oct 10, 2010
I had a G2 and I could barely get past 6Mbps in a well-covered "4G" area. My Nexus S on a good day gets a solid 5mbps. That's good enough for me. I'll wait for a year to get a new phone.

dezvous

Mar 23, 2010
You do realize it could be months till you see this phone in your hands too right? That is the world we live in. You know your brand new phone is outdated before we even get your hands on it. You would never hear about this kind of stuff so far in advance before but now you do. I say deal with it. Accept it. All companies are like that. You have to keep moving forward.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

mrroey

Mar 19, 2010
http://electronic-partner.com/Samsung-Nexus-S-by-Google-I9020/I9023.html

The above article was written before the Nexus S release. I'm pretty sure I9023 is just a remake of the NS for europe.

http://www.mobilegazette.com/samsung-nexus-s-10x12x16.htm

Notice how it says, "Expected December 2010 (US & UK), Q1/Q2 2011 (Worldwide)"

After doing some more research I found this German site:

http://translate.google.com/transla...N&rls=en&tbs=cdr:1,cd_max:1/10/2011&prmd=ivns

The translation of the last paragraph is something worth noting.

"Samsung Nexus S (I9023) is a smart phone with Android operating system 2.3 (Gingerbread), four-inch capacitive touch screen (480x800 pixels). Samsung's own processor, a gigahertz chip and IFX6160. Two cameras on the five-megapixel with flash on the camera back, the front recording in VGA. Supports MP3, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, WMA, MPEG4, H.263, H.264. Support for the NFC and a number of Google services like Google Edition, Google, Mobile Services, Google Maps and augmented reality. Is Google's user interface and browser pre-installed. WiFi b / g / n, USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.1, dlna, 3.5 millimeter headphone jack and GPS. One gigabyte of internal memory and a memory card slot up to 16 gigabytes. Battery at 1500 mAh. In stores this spring."

EDIT: http://www.order.se/article.asp?Art...-1&CategoryIdentifier=T03A&Sort=0&SortOrder=1

Last edited:

slowz3r

Jun 10, 2010
Malmstrom AFB, MT
After doing some more research I found this German site:

http://translate.google.com/transla...N&rls=en&tbs=cdr:1,cd_max:1/10/2011&prmd=ivns

The translation of the last paragraph is something worth noting.

"Samsung Nexus S (I9023) is a smart phone with Android operating system 2.3 (Gingerbread), four-inch capacitive touch screen (480x800 pixels). Samsung's own processor, a gigahertz chip and IFX6160. Two cameras on the five-megapixel with flash on the camera back, the front recording in VGA. Supports MP3, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, WMA, MPEG4, H.263, H.264. Support for the NFC and a number of Google services like Google Edition, Google, Mobile Services, Google Maps and augmented reality. Is Google's user interface and browser pre-installed. WiFi b / g / n, USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.1, dlna, 3.5 millimeter headphone jack and GPS. One gigabyte of internal memory and a memory card slot up to 16 gigabytes. Battery at 1500 mAh. In stores this spring."

Problem solved guys, everyone put your pitchforks away

Smokexz

Jul 11, 2010
Florida
Just to let everyone know, we are angry, we just got this phone not even a month ago and there is an updated model. That's kind of new... I am still hoping it is some different colour.

Sent from my Nexus S

jivemaster

May 6, 2010
Brisbane
I won't lie.. I am really upset right now. I feel like throwing this phone and screaming out Samsung in a dramatic way. It's so frustrating I wanna laugh too.. lol.

It's not a Nexus S replacement or nexus phone, if it does look like the Nexus S.

I think people are getting too worked up over this. The Nexus S is google's phone for the next year, this is nothing more than HTC's Desire to the Nexus One. Think a Nexus S with touchwiz.

Last edited:

slowz3r

Jun 10, 2010
Malmstrom AFB, MT
capturezh.png

for everyone who missed it, again please put your pitchforks away...atleast us Americans, you Europeans continue to be angry if you purchased an American Nexus S

thepoetvd776

Sep 24, 2009
Exactly my plan!

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

I think that they limit the times you can do that, that's why Best Buy when you but the phone they ask you for what phone number you will be using it on.

I'm assuming its so that they can track it and see if you're buying and returning the phone every 30 days. I mean if they dont do that wow that would be a brilliant plan.

I'm going to return my Nexus S on friday, so if I can pull something like this and get an addtional 30 days sweet!

Back on topic, wow if samsung really does this, damn, that's just a super shame sandwich and a slap to the face to all those who bought a Nexus S. And who knows it could be true, especially with the video "proof" of the 2.4 floating around here.

DKYang

Mar 19, 2009
I think that they limit the times you can do that, that's why Best Buy when you but the phone they ask you for what phone number you will be using it on.

I'm assuming its so that they can track it and see if you're buying and returning the phone every 30 days. I mean if they dont do that wow that would be a brilliant plan.

I'm going to return my Nexus S on friday, so if I can pull something like this and get an addtional 30 days sweet!

I bought it unlocked in store. They never asked me for my number.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://electronic-partner.com/Samsung-Nexus-S-by-Google-I9020/I9023.html

The above article was written before the Nexus S release. I'm pretty sure I9023 is just a remake of the NS for europe.

http://www.mobilegazette.com/samsung-nexus-s-10x12x16.htm

Notice how it says, "Expected December 2010 (US & UK), Q1/Q2 2011 (Worldwide)"
    This chart is a must read for everyone in this thread that's been upset by the rumors of the possibility of a newer Nexus S-like device out soon.
    :D

God damn that was funny stuff!
    I would def wait to see how Google treats the Nexus One (original Nexus phone)

Google right now is acting like a**holes and withholding the gingerbread update from the N1 the same way that people HATE Samsung for withholding Froyo from the Galaxy S phones :mad:

The whole reason to buy a Nexus phone was to get updates ON TIME and not get dicked around by carriers withholding software updates but now you can't even have faith that Google isn't going to leave a Nexus phone for dead like they did with the Nexus One.

If they do this to the Nexus One then they are going to do this to the Nexus S as well. Right now Apple seems like a more trustworthy company than Google for software updates, and thats saying alot :(

Not sure I entirely agree with what you said. The Nexus One will surely be the next phone google releases Gingerbread for. Around Christmas, one of the Google devs stated on Twitter that they are still writing the code and it would come in the next couple of weeks. At least for the next year (or whenever Google drops another phone) the NS will be first the first to get everything. Take a look at the "silent" market update that was pushed. The NS got the first and the rest of the people around the interwebs got via someone pulling the apk from their phone and posting it.

But as far the Nexus One getting screwed, I just don't see this happening. For GB to get pushed to any other device requires intensive carrier processing, crapware bloating, etc. The Nexus will get an OTA as soon as it's properly coded for it. Just my two cents on this.
    Today i've seen an i9023 (i think that's a proto). The display seems identical to the i9020 (Nexus S). It runs Gingerbread built from source (so no 2.4, but may be because isn't the final version) without Gapps.. also this phone seems to have the same "menu light problem" like the photos on the wild :)

on the boot there is the Google logo in gray with unlock padlock, and the animation is the same of the emulator (not the X with the four color)

the light came up after you press the touchbotton, otherwise it's always off.. hope to play with this proto tomorrow..

may be try to put CM7 alpha on it, because with the "stock fw" it's useless :)
    Very strong evidence here that the Nexus S is coming to AT&T in March.

The CEO of a carrier (Mobilicity) will not spread rumors. If the Nexus S is coming to Rogers, Telus and Bell, it will come to AT&T as well as they use the same bands. The i9023 may very well be this and that's the reason they had to pass FCC.

This makes sense as Google does not want to limit the Gingerbread experience to just one carrier.