Phantom touches.

Search This thread

chucktownscitch

Jan 2, 2009
Just curious if anyone else running cm10 based roms are experiencing the random phantom touches at any degree? I've had it on Mazda's AOKP and CN(A) build, agrabrens cm10, Lens_Flare's Aokp build as well as his PA port. Along with running Vanilla, Mac, and anthrax kernels.

Just thought to maybe try flashing a nand of an ICS backup I have to retest that when I get off work. But it seems it's doing it more and more and I'm thinking it is most likely the digitizer :/ ...

Praying it isn't but its looking that way.
If that is the case, anyone know if that's a component they can swap out at a sprint repair shop?

If not I may have to order one because I need new rear speaker as well, and just do replacement myself.

Side note: it was a hella PITA typing this with cursor randomly jumping around and random keys being pressed.... :sigh:

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
My Dad's 3d is having the same issue and it makes it impossible to use. I think it's the digitizer, so he's taking it to the Sprint store for them to check. I'll report what they say (if I remember to :D)

Reactions: chucktownscitch

speed3b

Dec 29, 2008
I've been having this issue for a couple months now. Running stock ICS on Sprint. It comes and goes though. Sometimes it will do it for days at a time and then go away for a week. I turned on the development screen tap dot so I can see when its doing it. I usually have to just push the standby button off and back on and it might go away.

I'm going to take it to the Sprint store eventually to get replaced or fixed. I just don't want to get some crap referb when my phone is still in close to new condition with no other issues.

chucktownscitch

Jan 2, 2009
Hmm. Never thought about possibility it could be the screen protector?

May try to peel it off and see if problem persists.

HermanV0929

Oct 15, 2012
Sounds like the digitizer. Same problem I'm having. It's been driving me crazy lol. Im actually taking it to sprint in the morning to get it replaced. Only $35 without insurance so rather than do it myself, I'm having them do it

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

chucktownscitch

Jan 2, 2009
Well I rushed from work today to make it to Sprint Repair shop by 6... I had already called and asked if they would replace it earlier this afternoon. Once I get there, of course they ask me to duplicate the problem and show them what its doing. And like any and every other thing you do, the moment you go to show someone, you cant replicate it!

My phone was trying to act brand new. The paint app that I installed earlier was totally placing lines all over where I was not touching. Stupid thing worked flawlessly not doing anything wrong. Couldnt get my texts to press random keys like they have been doing for 3 weeks now. XDA app was working fine, when it stays clicking posts and popping up the box to thank, reply etc...

So obviously, without showing any issue, there wasnt anything they could do for me. And just as I knew would freakin happen, the moment I left and started texting on the drive home, low and behold it starts going nuts again. Couldnt get it to do anything for me in the store, but soon as I rounded the corner and saw my house it was phantom touching all over the place. So I was pissed.

I don't know how much longer I can go before I superbowl spike this thing.

UGH!!!

HermanV0929

Oct 15, 2012
I'm going to have them replace it even if I can't duplicate it in front of them. I KNOW what it's doing and why and like you, its driving me insane. Im not leaving until its replaced. Been dealing with it for weeks

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

I also called today (well yesterday now) thats how I got the price. I could do it myself but, Im not a patient person and I'd have to restrain myself from trying to rushing so as not to mess it up, so figured it'd be safer 2 let sprint do it. For the amt I pay for service, plus to havr it done, they better do it without a problem. Sure they will, theyre pretty decent where I go

chucktownscitch

Jan 2, 2009
Well good luck and keep me posted. Im probably going to go back tomorrow and see what I can have done. Manus need to start using better hardware. Its not like consumers are going to rush out and buy their latest and greatest phone 6-12 months later when they are under a 2 yr contract anyway, and 95% of people aren't going to pay full price. They will wait for their upgrade period to get the phone at 199...

HermanV0929

Oct 15, 2012
Well good luck and keep me posted. Im probably going to go back tomorrow and see what I can have done. Manus need to start using better hardware. Its not like consumers are going to rush out and buy their latest and greatest phone 6-12 months later when they are under a 2 yr contract anyway, and 95% of people aren't going to pay full price. They will wait for their upgrade period to get the phone at 199...

Will do and yes they do. No most customers won't. I actually bought mine off ebay because upgrade was to far away and still got like 3 months before I can. They should let people upgrade at least once a yr even if theyre on 2yr contract, because when you upgrade, you have to extend your contract another 2yrs anyways or at least a yr. Even if they say you have to take the 2yr contract in order to upgrade a yr early. By the way, good luck on yours tomorrow too, if you go back

Reactions: chucktownscitch

chucktownscitch

Jan 2, 2009
So I decided to hop on craigslist. Found one person selling Evo for parts for 50% then another person who needs to sell by tomorrow for 100$ obo. The second looks pretty mint as seller states its been in otter box for entire lifespan.

My question now is, if I was to get the second of the two, could I just swap over my internals to that phone?

HermanV0929

Oct 15, 2012
So I decided to hop on craigslist. Found one person selling Evo for parts for 50% then another person who needs to sell by tomorrow for 100$ obo. The second looks pretty mint as seller states its been in otter box for entire lifespan.

My question now is, if I was to get the second of the two, could I just swap over my internals to that phone?

Yes you can swap your internal parts. A little advice though if you do that..you may wanna use your back so you have your msid # and serial # incase you ever need it or sell it. I went to sprint today and at 1st the guy said my phone had to be replaced but can't be because it's rooted. Another guy came out and said they had the part but didn't know if they could do it because it's rooted and I told him, yes they can, Ive done it before, as long as it's hardware and not software related so, he said, ok and he replaced my digitizer

Last edited:

chucktownscitch

Jan 2, 2009
Very nice. Free?

I decided to nand back to an ICS sense backup and ran the calibrate on it. Then did fresh install back of cm10.

So far I haven't had any issues, but I'm keeping a close eye in it. If it starts back I guess I'll try a different sprint store for the repair. Hope it goes as smoothly for me. But most all reps I've had to deal with don't wanna help at all.

Did they make you show them it messing up?

HermanV0929

Oct 15, 2012
No it was $35 if Id of had the ins, itd of been free and as soon as I was walking into the store, it started acting up and soon as the guy unlocked the screen it went crazy. Ive tried do fresh installs and it worked for a short time then back to messing up

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Dad's 3d is having the same issue and it makes it impossible to use. I think it's the digitizer, so he's taking it to the Sprint store for them to check. I'll report what they say (if I remember to :D)

Will do and yes they do. No most customers won't. I actually bought mine off ebay because upgrade was to far away and still got like 3 months before I can. They should let people upgrade at least once a yr even if theyre on 2yr contract, because when you upgrade, you have to extend your contract another 2yrs anyways or at least a yr. Even if they say you have to take the 2yr contract in order to upgrade a yr early. By the way, good luck on yours tomorrow too, if you go back