[How-To] Enable Native Tethering (I337 4.4.2 - Stock NI1, NB1, & NC1 ROM's Only)

Search This thread

Larock14

May 28, 2014
The following files will enable tethering on your I337. Make certain you use the version applicable to your current build and only use on stock ROM. Use on custom ROM's may cause issues with the ROM. Proceed at your own risk!

Note: This mod will modify your system causing future ota updates to fail!

Here they are:

I337UCUFNI1_Safestrap_TetherAddOn.zip

I337UCUFNC1_Safestrap_TetherAddOn.zip

I337UCUFNB1_Safestrap_TetherAddOn.zip

Instructions:
1. Root your device(See Post #2 for rooting options).
2. Install *Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
3. Place the applicable Safestrap_TetherAddOn.zip on ext sdcard.
4. Reboot into Safestrap Recovery and flash the Safestrap_TetherAddOn.zip in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)
5. Reboot. Done!

*You can solve Safestrap installation issues by downloading the Selinux Mode Changer app from the Play Store:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.selinux&hl=en. Install the app and set selinux to permissive. Done! Please thank @Maribou for this great find!

If Needed, is there any way to reverse this process if another update comes out?

Thanks!!!

Reactions: Flash_Fire

Seanbest

Dec 31, 2010
Front Royal, VA
My retarded self flashed this on the GPE SafeStrap ROM and now just vibrates 3 times when booting. Any suggestions other than reinstalling it all?

jojosilvera

Aug 17, 2012
The following files will enable tethering on your I337. Make certain that you use the version applicable to your current build and only use on stock ROM. Use on custom ROM's may cause issues with the ROM. Proceed at your own risk!

Note: This will modify your system causing future ota updates to fail!

Here they are:

(To undo the mod flash the I337_NI1_TetherAddOn_Revert-to-Stock.zip using the same instructions below).

Instructions:
*2. Install Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
4. Reboot into Safestrap Recovery and flash the Safestrap_TetherAddOn.zip in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)
5. Reboot. Done!

*You can solve Safestrap installation issues by downloading SELinux Mode Changer and setting to permissive. Please thank @Maribou for this great find!
404 not found for NB1 zip file

Angelpirate

Feb 9, 2014
had a problem with safestrap!

*You can solve Safestrap installation issues by downloading SELinux Mode Changer and setting to permissive. Please thank @Maribou for this great find!

this worked thanks

rodin95

Jun 22, 2010
I flashed it using safestrap, and none of my devices will connect.. I'm on NI1.. When attempting to connect, it starts out as "No Devices Connected", but as soon as any of my devices tries to connect, the "No Devices Connected" goes away, and usually the computer or host id will show up, but nothing shows up at all.

Ign0tus

Apr 17, 2013
Hi, I have a rooted stock AT&T Galaxy S4 I337 on 4.4.2 NC1. My provider is Straight Talk. Native tethering works fine; I'm using it right now to post this because I don't have standard Internet at home until Dec. 15 when Uverse gets installed. Dec. 15 is nearly 2 weeks away, so I won't have Internet for a while, which is a pretty big deal for me.

My question is: is there any way to disguise my PC tethering so that Straight Talk or AT&T won't detect it? I assume traffic from my PC appears differently to traffic originating from my phone, so it's detectable. Is there a special browser or Firefox addon or something that I can use that will disguise my traffic? Is there some Windows networking tool that can disguise it to look like phone traffic (preferable)? I use Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Firefox, but I have Chrome available.

I tether responsibly imo. I believe Straight Talk allows around 2.5GB of full speed data per month and then throttles after that. I've never used more than 500MB on the phone itself. I won't be downloading large files like movies or music or streaming anything. I just need web surfing and email, and possibly the ability to play an MMO if there is a way to disguise that with a networking tool and latency isn't an issue. MMO traffic doesn't consume a large amount of data, but I can do without gaming if it ends up consuming too much bandwidth. I plan to keep it under 2.5GB regardless.

EDIT: I have an 11 pin (GS4 compatible) MHL adapter on the way from Amazon. I also have a USB OTG cable that I can connect to my phone that enables me to connect a mouse and keyboard if I want. I don't know of any way to connect both the OTG cable and the MHL at the some time though. If I could do that, I could throw my phone display to the TV and navigate with a keyboard and mouse, which would be "acceptable" for web surfing until I get Uverse.

Last edited:

GiSS88

Oct 27, 2011
Is there any way to use this on stock without safe strap? I don't use it ATM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
The flashing dirty made me nervous lol

The following files will enable tethering on your I337. Make certain that you use the version applicable to your current build and only use on stock ROM. Use on custom ROM's may cause issues with the ROM. Proceed at your own risk!

Note: This will modify your system causing future ota updates to fail!

Here they are:

(To undo the mod flash the I337_NI1_TetherAddOn_Revert-to-Stock.zip using the same instructions below).

Instructions:
2. Install the latest Safestrap.apk.
5. Reboot. Done!

That's the first time I've done a dirty flash, but awesome results braa. Very nice work and worked like a charm. Button has been pushed... much appreciated! Now if I can just get the phone working right, I'll be happy as can be. The mic and speaker on the device aren't activating at all for calls. I've flashed back to full stock several times, tried every modem there is and all the modules. I did figure out how to get wifi back... that's easy. I'm wondering if I can modify build.prop to get it working, because I've been at it for two days and still nada. All the hardware is solid and it works connected to Bluetooth headset. That's weird. I thought I had a bad sim card up til I figured that out, but it rules out sim card reader and sim card. Anyhoo... back to my hunt. This was a nice find though!

Arasstor

Mar 10, 2016
The following files will enable tethering on your I337. Make certain you use the version applicable to your current build and only use on stock ROM. Use on custom ROM's may cause issues with the ROM. Proceed at your own risk!

Note: This mod will modify your system causing future ota updates to fail!

Here they are:

Instructions:
2. Install *Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
5. Reboot. Done!

Hi,

I am on 4.4.4 NJ4 and I wish to fix the tethering, but I am not sure how to proceed.

So Do I need to flash NC1 kernel first before follow these steps? or can I do these step with my Kernel NJ4 on kitkiat 4.4.4?

Top Liked Posts