[XAP|Source] Marketplace Config - Easily change marketplace settings

Search This thread

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
Here is an app I made to quickly and easily change marketplace settings. Similar apps exist already, but this one has a few features I've not seen in the other ones. This project was more of a way for me to learn about homebrew dev, but it resulted in a useful program so nothing wrong with that :)

Source
This app is open source. It is hosted on Google Code. If anyone would like to help contribute, PM me and we'll discuss getting you added.

What you can do
  • Change OEM marketplace - You can choose from any of the 8 OEM stores, or view a combined market with all 8 at the same time.
  • Change MO marketplace - I'm working on getting as many as possible included. The app will ask kindly to submit if yours is a new one.
  • Change the maximum file size cap over 3g - Download larger apps and podcasts over 3G without needing a wifi connection
  • Lock the settings - Prevents your settings from reverting back in a day or two when the marketplace updates itself

Who can run this?
You need a root unlock. So either a full unlock or WP7 Root Tools with this app marked as Trusted.

Changelog
  • Beta 2.0.3 - 6/7/12 - Going off of the error reports I received from yesterday's release, I added better error handling to hopefully alleviate those problems.
  • Beta 2.0.2 - 6/6/12 - Added a better error handler. Users are now prompted with the option to submit bug reports, so I may better track down issues.
  • Beta 2.0.1 - 6/4/12 - Fixed a bug that would cause the app to crash if no MO store was configured on the device. The app also informs you if it's not set to Trusted in WP7 Root Tools.
  • Beta 2 - 5/31/12 - After spending too much time working on a rewrite, the next beta is ready. I've changed a ton of things under the hood, but the big new feature is viewing all OEM markets at the same time. I've also released the source as of this version, though I am not speaking for it's quality. Some parts are more polished than others.
  • Beta 1.4 - 5/2/12 - Added a few new mobile operators. Added country flags to MO selection screen. Fixed more crashed.
  • Beta 1.3 - 5/1/12 - Added a slew of new mobile operators, along with an option to remove it (for contract-free phones, direct from OEM, etc)
  • Beta 1.2 - 4/29/12 - Fixed crashing bug. Added Telekom MO (thanks contable). Added OEM logos.
  • Beta 1.1 - 4/28/12 - Removed device spoofing (it can break DRM, thanks for the heads up GoodDayToDie). Added Sprint MO.
  • Beta 1 - 4/28/12 - Initial release

Thanks to
  • Heathcliff74 for the wonderful WP7 Root Tools SDK
  • GoodDayToDie for his homebrew efforts, which I use for file IO
  • balcsida for providing new icons

Attachments

• MarketplaceConfig-beta1.4.xap
    655.4 KB · Views: 4,610
  • MarketplaceConfig-beta2.0.xap
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 1,077
  • MarketplaceConfig-beta2.0.1.xap
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 1,010
  • MarketplaceConfig-beta2.0.3.xap
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 13,227
Last edited:
G

GuestK00161

It doesn't launch on my Titan...so it will probably need a higher level of unlock than a Dev unlock.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
You'll need "root" unlock, meaning either full-unlock or WP7 Root Tools and the app marked as "Trusted".

@ken52787: Very cool! I was actually working on something very much like this. Would you mind sharing your source code? If I can merge what I was working on into what you've already got, that would be great.

One very big concern, though: changing the OEM name in DeviceTargetingInfo (which is what I assume you're doing to make apps like Nokia Drive work) is extremely dangerous. Although I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is (suggestions have been things like leaving it changed for more than 24 hours, or changing it more than 5 times), changing that value can permanently break the Marketplace DRM on your phone. All your Marketplace apps will stop launching, and you won't be able to install more. The only solution we know of is a hard-reset or a restore point; returning the registry value to the original OEM name does not help.

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
You'll need "root" unlock, meaning either full-unlock or WP7 Root Tools and the app marked as "Trusted".

@ken52787: Very cool! I was actually working on something very much like this. Would you mind sharing your source code? If I can merge what I was working on into what you've already got, that would be great.

One very big concern, though: changing the OEM name in DeviceTargetingInfo (which is what I assume you're doing to make apps like Nokia Drive work) is extremely dangerous. Although I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is (suggestions have been things like leaving it changed for more than 24 hours, or changing it more than 5 times), changing that value can permanently break the Marketplace DRM on your phone. All your Marketplace apps will stop launching, and you won't be able to install more. The only solution we know of is a hard-reset or a restore point; returning the registry value to the original OEM name does not help.
Yikes! I was not aware of this. I took that out and reupped the xap.

And yes, I'll share the source soon, I just want to clean it up a bit first since it's rather sloppy at the moment :p

life25ak

Oct 2, 2011
amman-jordan
Here is an app I made to quickly and easily change marketplace settings. Similar apps exist already, but this one has a few features I've not seen in the other ones. This project was more of a way for me to learn about homebrew dev, but it resulted in a useful program so nothing wrong with that :)

The initial beta is a little rough around the edges, but should be stable. Please report any oddities you notice and provide feedback and suggestions.

What you can do
  • Change OEM marketplace - Included are Acer, Dell, Fujitsu, HTC, LG, Nokia, Samsung, and ZTE (although only HTC, LG, Nokia, and Samsung have accessible marketplaces)
  • Change MO marketplace - Included are AT&T, Orange, Sprint, and Verizon (I had a hard time finding other marketplaces. If you are on a carrier other than these, please send me your settings so I can include them, the program will automate this for you with your permission)
  • Change the maximum file size cap over 3g - Download larger apps and podcasts over 3G without needing a wifi connection
  • Lock the settings - Prevents your settings from reverting back in a day or two when the marketplace updates itself

Who can run this?
You need a root unlock. So either a full unlock or WP7 Root Tools with this app marked as Trusted.

Changelog
  • Beta 1.1 - 4/28/12 - Removed device spoofing (it can break DRM, thanks for the heads up GoodDayToDie). Added Sprint MO.

Thanks to

not working with my mozart?

sh4d0w86

Apr 15, 2010
curious... why are XAPs being posted in this sub-forum when their is a WP7 Software Development sub-forum?

nice looking app, though. curious as to how you 'locked' the Market.
would love to add that into my version of this app, Market Select.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
The Software Development sub-forum always seemsed more focused on general app development rather than tweaks to the OS. Last time I was reading that forum, it seemed like it was mostly stuff using the official APIs, too. Maybe I should start reading it again, though...

You can lock in changes to Marketplace configurations by setting read-only on the XML files.

Reactions: sh4d0w86

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@OP: Thanks for the quick fix, and you're welcome for the tip! The 1.1 version works well on my phone. Two (related) suggestions, though:
1: The messageboxes the pop up at first run block the UI from loading. If the UI doesn't load within a few seconds (10 or so) the OS will kill the app. You may want to cause them to pop up on a delay or something...
2: There's no option to send your MO (or OEM) files after the initial messagebox prompt. I'd like to send you the T-Mobile US files (not that the TMoUS apps are super-exciting) but the app was killed on me before I could click it! I can go pull them off the filesystem manually, of course...

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Thx for this app.

I have sent you the settings for Telekom Germany (T-Mobile DE), would be nice if you could add them...

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
@OP: Thanks for the quick fix, and you're welcome for the tip! The 1.1 version works well on my phone. Two (related) suggestions, though:
1: The messageboxes the pop up at first run block the UI from loading. If the UI doesn't load within a few seconds (10 or so) the OS will kill the app. You may want to cause them to pop up on a delay or something...
2: There's no option to send your MO (or OEM) files after the initial messagebox prompt. I'd like to send you the T-Mobile US files (not that the TMoUS apps are super-exciting) but the app was killed on me before I could click it! I can go pull them off the filesystem manually, of course...
See what I mean about sloppy coding and wanting to clean it up before releasing the source :p

reeg420

Nov 28, 2007
Newport,RI
App works good on my hd7. Although during first run it made a backup. Then asked me if I wanted to sent my carrier setting since you don't have them. I was going to then the app crashed and never gave me the option again. App runs fine other than the first run when it crashed.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

contable

Oct 25, 2009
Thx for the quick update...

Sent from my OMNIA7 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

s.m.hosein

Apr 20, 2012
v1.1 and v 1.2 are crash
it mean i install this app then set trust on root...it open but quickly get out
so;
whats the problem !?

VegaNovus

Jan 30, 2011
Doesn't load on my Dev Unlocked TITAN.

Says something about an error occurred while reading current store config

ken52787

Aug 22, 2009
Doesn't load on my Dev Unlocked TITAN.

Says something about an error occurred while reading current store config
You need a full unlock or root access with WP7 Root Tools. Dev unlock is not enough (the phone doesn't like me messing about in the file system)

Also, I just posted an update. No changes other than adding a bunch of new MOs. Thanks to everyone who submitted them! I have some ideas for beta 2, if only I could find some time to work on it :p I also plan on releasing the source when I get that version out.

Last edited:

matt_x

Nov 4, 2004
Using 1.3 with Samsung Focus... Set the Trust to ON through RootTools as well.

I Get the "an error occured while reading your current store config".

If i click on OK application shows the main screen briefly and then exists. Otherwise shows the following error:::

CreateFile failed for \My Documents\Zune\PimentoCache\Keepers\LKKG_MOStoreConfig.xml! GetLastError: 2

Thanks.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
You're sure it's two Ks ("LKKG_MOStoreConfig.xml")? That's a typo, then. It would explain why you're getting an error of File Not Found as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Source
    This app is open source. It is hosted on Google Code. If anyone would like to help contribute, PM me and we'll discuss getting you added.

What you can do
    • Change OEM marketplace - You can choose from any of the 8 OEM stores, or view a combined market with all 8 at the same time.
    • Change MO marketplace - I'm working on getting as many as possible included. The app will ask kindly to submit if yours is a new one.

Who can run this?

Changelog
    • Beta 2.0.3 - 6/7/12 - Going off of the error reports I received from yesterday's release, I added better error handling to hopefully alleviate those problems.
    • Beta 2.0.2 - 6/6/12 - Added a better error handler. Users are now prompted with the option to submit bug reports, so I may better track down issues.
    • Beta 2.0.1 - 6/4/12 - Fixed a bug that would cause the app to crash if no MO store was configured on the device. The app also informs you if it's not set to Trusted in WP7 Root Tools.
    • Beta 2 - 5/31/12 - After spending too much time working on a rewrite, the next beta is ready. I've changed a ton of things under the hood, but the big new feature is viewing all OEM markets at the same time. I've also released the source as of this version, though I am not speaking for it's quality. Some parts are more polished than others.
    • Beta 1.4 - 5/2/12 - Added a few new mobile operators. Added country flags to MO selection screen. Fixed more crashed.
    • Beta 1.3 - 5/1/12 - Added a slew of new mobile operators, along with an option to remove it (for contract-free phones, direct from OEM, etc)
    • Beta 1.2 - 4/29/12 - Fixed crashing bug. Added Telekom MO (thanks contable). Added OEM logos.

Thanks to
    • balcsida for providing new icons
    Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. I am still alive and am still working on this app. Between the rewrite and experimenting/adding new features, it's taking longer than I expected.

Here's a preview of one of the new features I have finished so far:
    IerYhl.jpg
    moNCrl.jpg

I'm quite proud of this one, as it took tons of poking and prodding of Zune's servers to figure out how to do it. It's all the apps from all the OEMs listed in one store. You can download from any OEM without having to switch stores. This also gets rid of the update problem where you can't update OEM apps if you don't currently have their store selected.

I am experimenting with other things, mostly region based hacks. Not sure if I'll get very far with those though. Messing around with the regions is causing weird side effects with my phone, and I don't have any spares so I don't want to go too far and put it out of commission. If anyone upgraded and has an old model they wouldn't mind donating to me, please PM.

More to come soon...
    I found the solution for that

Using File Explorer go to \My Documents\Zune\PimentoCache\Keepers\
    and u will find a file named Downloaded_MOStoreConfig.xml, just copy that file and rename it LKG_MOStoreConfig.xml and copy back when u found the first file. I have an unbranded HTC HD7 and I live in Honduras and that works for me :p
    The Software Development sub-forum always seemsed more focused on general app development rather than tweaks to the OS. Last time I was reading that forum, it seemed like it was mostly stuff using the official APIs, too. Maybe I should start reading it again, though...

You can lock in changes to Marketplace configurations by setting read-only on the XML files.
    it is not even restoring default OEM market settings........showing "no results" and my default OEM market is HTC
    Help me in reverting OEM market back

HI,

I had the same issue and manage to fix it with deleting folder \My Documents\Zune\PrimentoCache\Keepers