Do we have a browser yet?

Search This thread

BJSerpas

Mar 6, 2013
I know this isn't Android anymore, but has anyone pulled/ported the stock Tizen browser from Tizen OS? I assume it would be easy enough to sideload this to the device via USB Debugging, right?

Raul69.atl

Oct 17, 2011
city of angels
I know this isn't Android anymore, but has anyone pulled/ported the stock Tizen browser from Tizen OS? I assume it would be easy enough to sideload this to the device via USB Debugging, right?

Sounds easy and it might be but, we don't have a keyboard yet anyways. Hopefully when the fleksy keyboard comes out there will be more useful apps.

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
Sounds easy and it might be but, we don't have a keyboard yet anyways. Hopefully when the fleksy keyboard comes out there will be more useful apps.

While we wait, can you share what you think would be a useful scenario where pulling up a webpage on a tiny watchscreen will be more convenient than just pulling out your phone and doing it that way? I'm really curious and maybe you have a great idea I haven't considered.

dominoid

Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth
Some kind of situation when you want to check things without hands free? Checking live train times while carrying luggage or checking football scores while it's raining perhaps?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

bryanhayn

Dec 10, 2011
While we wait, can you share what you think would be a useful scenario where pulling up a webpage on a tiny watchscreen will be more convenient than just pulling out your phone and doing it that way? I'm really curious and maybe you have a great idea I haven't considered.

Cheating on a test, of course. That's pretty much the only reason I'd want a watch browser.

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
Some kind of situation when you want to check things without hands free? Checking live train times while carrying luggage or checking football scores while it's raining perhaps?

Either of those scenarios you just mentioned are great, but voice commands w/ S Voice would be more useful (if it can even do this - I know Google Now can get me this info from my phone, but S Voice on the Gear currently just comes back and says "sorry, we couldn't find the answer to your question".
Also, if your hands are full, what makes you think that opening up and typing a web address on the watch's little screen will be "hands free"? You can't even interact with the watch without touching it with your other hand.

BlackZenith

Dec 23, 2011

How would you navigate an app or browser without using you hands/fingers? Your football score scenario is already accomplished via ESPNs Score Center app. It can be configured to send notifications based on team preferences (i.e. notify of scoring plays during your fav team games).

And now that I think about it, if only the Google Maps app could be configured to send turn-by-turn notifications, we would sort of have GPS on our Gears.

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
How would you navigate an app or browser without using you hands/fingers? Your football score scenario is already accomplished via ESPNs Score Center app. It can be configured to send notifications based on team preferences (i.e. notify of scoring plays during your fav team games).

And now that I think about it, if only the Google Maps app could be configured to send turn-by-turn notifications, we would sort of have GPS on our Gears.

oh I forgot about the turn by turn functionality - Pebbles can do this, even though I never got a chance to use it since my phone is mounted on my dashboard. Would be useful when walking in a city, though - without keeping your phone out. The problem of course is the watchscreen turns off again and you have to touch the watch and navigate to the app again to see the next direction.

BlackZenith

Dec 23, 2011
oh I forgot about the turn by turn functionality - Pebbles can do this, even though I never got a chance to use it since my phone is mounted on my dashboard. Would be useful when walking in a city, though - without keeping your phone out. The problem of course is the watchscreen turns off again and you have to touch the watch and navigate to the app again to see the next direction.
Yep, and shortly after I posted this I came up with an article about that Pebble feature... however, it seems it is limited to the iOS version of Google Maps because it is able to send normal push notifications for each turn.