Iconia A500 SOD fix (at least for me)

Search This thread

mayekk

Dec 24, 2008
I've been dealing with SOD (Sleep Of Death) problem since official OTA ICS update. On HC everything (except calendar) was fine, but after official ICS update I was having SOD almost every sleep longer then few minutes.

Tried WiFi/sync tricks etc.

What helped ? Well..

1. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
2. factory reset (from Settings Menu)
3. full update via sd card (Vol- / Pwr)

OFFICIAL ROM: 7.014.16 - 041.213.01 - COM_GEN1 (ICS)
(Acer_A500_7.014.16_041.213.01_COM_GEN1_1336732099520_45282ff4.zip)

and once again:
4. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
5. factory reset (from Settings Menu)

...I know that hardware & facory reset are pretty much the same, but...It helped...

Last edited:

cscs3

Aug 18, 2011
I've been dealing with SOD (Sleep Of Death) problem since official OTA ICS update. On HC everything (except calendar) was fine, but after official ICS update I was having SOD almost every sleep longer then few minutes.

Tried WiFi/sync tricks etc.

What helped ? Well..

1. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
2. factory reset (from Settings Menu)
3. full update via sd card (Vol- / Pwr)

OFFICIAL ROM: 7.014.16 - 041.213.01 - COM_GEN1 (ICS)
(Acer_A500_7.014.16_041.213.01_COM_GEN1_1336732099520_45282ff4.zip)

and once again:
4. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
5. factory reset (from Settings Menu)

...I know that hardware & facory reset are pretty much the same, but...It helped...

Does t means I have to re-install all applications?

captainn

Dec 25, 2006
I have a A501 and want to get rid of this sod problem. so i took the last "Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK)" Rom from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816560 and tried to install the update.zip file from the sd card. When i get to the recovery it starts but crashes after a few seconds. Do i habe to install a different recovery or unlock my bootloader? I'm a little bit confused...can somebody give me a short hint? Thx. :eek:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I have a A501 and want to get rid of this sod problem. so i took the last "Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK)" Rom from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1816560 and tried to install the update.zip file from the sd card. When i get to the recovery it starts but crashes after a few seconds. Do i habe to install a different recovery or unlock my bootloader? I'm a little bit confused...can somebody give me a short hint? Thx. :eek:

This is probably because of a couple of reasons.

1. You didn't do the incremental update. The available update files are incremental patch files, which means you have to have the others installed before you install the latest. Or at least part 1 and 2 of the original leak.

2. You didn't decrypt the file and remove the "update.zip". Generally, you can't just rename these update files to "update.zip". So the latest OTA you took, you should decrypt it "if it needs it", open in 7zip or Winzip and pull the update.zip file and copy that to your EXT SD card.

The final Official release build, was build .021. So if you still get SOD on .021, then chances are you have one of the later revision tablets, and may have to wait a long time until Acer releases another update, as the later revisions only account for a very small percentage.

Or, you can install the unlocked bootloader, and try one of the newer kernels we have.

MD

Reactions: captainn

captainn

Dec 25, 2006

1. You didn't do the incremental update. The available update files are incremental patch files, which means you have to have the others installed before you install the latest. Or at least part 1 and 2 of the original leak.

2. You didn't decrypt the file and remove the "update.zip". Generally, you can't just rename these update files to "update.zip". So the latest OTA you took, you should decrypt it "if it needs it", open in 7zip or Winzip and pull the update.zip file and copy that to your EXT SD card.

The final Official release build, was build .021. So if you still get SOD on .021, then chances are you have one of the later revision tablets, and may have to wait a long time until Acer releases another update, as the later revisions only account for a very small percentage.

Or, you can install the unlocked bootloader, and try one of the newer kernels we have.

MD

Thanks for your replay. So what i did was to install all available OTA updates. Then i downloaded the full package Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK) from the site above, extracted the update.zip from this archive and put it on the external sd card. i think that is all i have to do. And my current build number is Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_EMEA_DE...so don't know exactly if "[LEAK]Acer A501 ICS (COM_GEN1). Build number 041.126.01" is the same version.

And i tried to unlock my bootloader but the next funny thing is that i tried that Afterota-Tool, but it stucks at 3/4 "Flashing recovery...".

I don't want to loose my 3G-Feature and i saw that nearly all roms are only for A500. Which kernel and rom would you recommend for me?

Looking forward for your replay. Thx a lot!

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks for your replay. So what i did was to install all available OTA updates. Then i downloaded the full package Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK) from the site above, extracted the update.zip from this archive and put it on the external sd card. i think that is all i have to do. And my current build number is Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_EMEA_DE...so don't know exactly if "[LEAK]Acer A501 ICS (COM_GEN1). Build number 041.126.01" is the same version.

And i tried to unlock my bootloader but the next funny thing is that i tried that Afterota-Tool, but it stucks at 3/4 "Flashing recovery...".

I don't want to loose my 3G-Feature and i saw that nearly all roms are only for A500. Which kernel and rom would you recommend for me?

You current build is cooked my friend. Unless you want Acer repair.

Most of all OTA ICS Updates are Com Gen 1 now. Not sure what acer had in mind. But I believe it has duetch or danish language.

You have to use a 501 update if you want to use 3g and GPS.

My question, were you successful in booting to your system after installing the updates correctly? That is my primary question. If so, make sure you have USB debugging turned on.

But I need to know exactly what your tablet is in now before going further. Does it boot into the OS after running the updates?

MD

captainn

Dec 25, 2006

Most of all OTA ICS Updates are Com Gen 1 now. Not sure what acer had in mind. But I believe it has duetch or danish language.

My question, were you successful in booting to your system after installing the updates correctly? That is my primary question. If so, make sure you have USB debugging turned on.

But I need to know exactly what your tablet is in now before going further. Does it boot into the OS after running the updates?

MD

I don't know exactly which updates you are talking about. I installed all the available ota updates and the tablet booted correctly after this. If you mean any other update via sd-card i can only tell you that i was not able to install one of them. what do you mean with "cooked"? sorry for stupid questions :p

My USB debugging ist turned on, firewall and uac off.

Thx.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I don't know exactly which updates you are talking about. I installed all the available ota updates and the tablet booted correctly after this. If you mean any other update via sd-card i can only tell you that i was not able to install one of them. what do you mean with "cooked"? sorry for stupid questions :p

Thx.

The only stupid question, is the one that doesn't get asked ;)

What is the current version you are on? (settings/about tablet) The current build should be .021

MD

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Android 4.0.3
Kernel 2.6.39.4+
Image Acer_AV041_A501_RV20RC05_EMEA
Build Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_EMEA_DE
P/N FM.S14A0.02A

Is it all you need?

Yes, you have build .021 But I am surprised it's not WW_Com_Gen_1

This is the latest Acer build. So stay with it.

Ok, info for you, I am currently working with kernel dev's to maybe get something better as far as kernels, that may help with your SOD if you still have it.

For right now, let us work on things. This may take a few days.

As with Unlocked Bootloader and CWM recovery.

Here is what you should do.

GET YOUR UID NUMBER and write it down.
1. Make sure your Acer drivers are installed.
2. Using After OTA, only install the Patched Bootloader.
3. If you already have the patched bootloader installed (you see Skirlax_CZ bootloader text when you boot),

Did it install the patched bootloader?

MD

captainn

Dec 25, 2006

Ok, info for you, I am currently working with kernel dev's to maybe get something better as far as kernels, that may help with your SOD if you still have it.

3. If you already have the patched bootloader installed (you see Skirlax_CZ bootloader text when you boot),

MD

So in Afterota i open the tab advanced and there i can choose "browse for custom bootloader" and i can choose between different binary files. I think "bl_ics_ac_v8.bin" or "bl_ics_pb_v8.bin" should be right. What's the difference, what's the right one?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
So in Afterota i open the tab advanced and there i can choose "browse for custom bootloader" and i can choose between different binary files. I think "bl_ics_ac_v8.bin" or "bl_ics_pb_v8.bin" should be right. What's the difference, what's the right one?

Well, I did things the old fashioned way.

If I am to guess. the first one is CWM recovery included, and the second is Public Recovery included. I never used this tool ;)

I would choose door number 1

BTW, there are other methods to install these things. But let's see what happens. Personally, I don't use these all in 1 tools. Got too many of them in the forums. But, let's see what happens.

If not successful, we'll use My method. And you will learn something in the process.

MD

captainn

Dec 25, 2006
Well, I did things the old fashioned way.

If I am to guess. the first one is CWM recovery included, and the second is Public Recovery included. I never used this tool ;)

I would choose door number 1

BTW, there are other methods to install these things. But let's see what happens. Personally, I don't use these all in 1 tools. Got too many of them in the forums. But, let's see what happens.

If not successful, we'll use My method. And you will learn something in the process.

MD

*LOL* Tool doesn't work at all...so i will do it by using another method...can you recommend one that really works= :fingers-crossed:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
*LOL* Tool doesn't work at all...so i will do it by using another method...can you recommend one that really works= :fingers-crossed:

Ehhhh,,, we're gonna do it my way now.

Ok, keep in mind, it's late in Moscow, and I have a baby that will need bath (long process) and other family duties.

Let's get your computer prepared the way it should always be when dealing with the dark side of android.

Your tab is running now, and that's good. You have a .021 build. Ok. But let;s see if we can make it better.

First thing, and I hope you have Windows XP or Windows 7.

Download and install the Android SDK.
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Now, next, is the Oracle Java Platform (JDK)
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

After you do these 2 things, well, we can move over to the dark side.

Now, after everything is installed, I want you to do something.

Connect your tab with USB debugging on. (Never turn this off)

Open Windows explorer, go to C:\program file (x86)\Android\Android-sdk\platform tools . Open a command window here (SHIFT & Right mouse click)

Then type adb devices in the CMD window. Should show device connected and some numbers.

This tells me the drivers are installed.

If not, You have to install Acer USB drivers from the website.

Then try again.

And that, is as far as I go tonight, too late.

Tomorrow, I will give you a lesson in NVFlash and fastboot.

Rule number 1. Drivers, Drivers, Drivers. This was just to prepare your system.

To save some time, for tomorrow, shut down your tab.

Using a paper clip, or needle or something. Press and hold the pin hole button near the USB port. Hold it. Then, press and hold PWR button. Wait 4 seconds, release PWR only. 1 second later, release the pin hole.

Tab should be black. PWR button white. You may get vibrate.

This is what we call APX mode.

When you connect your tab to your PC, after a few seconds, the PC should recognize this as (Recovery Mode, APX Mode, or Download Mode)

Will need to know what it says. If it says nothing, but gives you an error in Windows device manager, then Houston, we have a problem. And the problem is the drivers. And you need to fix it. You may have to manually select from a list or tell it where the drivers are.

And that is all for tonight Mate. Baby needs bath.

MD

Reactions: rktdi and captainn

captainn

Dec 25, 2006
Thank you very much. I installed the bootloader, the recovery and the tegraowner ics rom for the A501. It looks great and it seems that SOD is now part of the history :) 3G is also working. Great success :laugh:

Thanks for your help and to all developers!

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thank you very much. I installed the bootloader, the recovery and the tegraowner ics rom for the A501. It looks great and it seems that SOD is now part of the history :) 3G is also working. Great success :laugh:

Thanks for your help and to all developers!

Great! Was waiting to hear!

Not that I demand it, but, it's customary to hit the "thanks" button for those that help ;)

Always remember, you have a "fastboot" bootloader, so if something happens, you can boot to the Fastboot, and do things like install boot.img's (kernels), Custom Recoveries, and some other things. That's why you installed Android SDK. Also, you have ADB capability as well.

Rock On!

MD

captainn

Dec 25, 2006
Great! Was waiting to hear!

Not that I demand it, but, it's customary to hit the "thanks" button for those that help ;)

Always remember, you have a "fastboot" bootloader, so if something happens, you can boot to the Fastboot, and do things like install boot.img's (kernels), Custom Recoveries, and some other things. That's why you installed Android SDK. Also, you have ADB capability as well.

Rock On!

MD

In addition: Now i am using "ICS Evil Alex Unleashed Ver 2". I switched because gps is not working when using tegraowners rom. Now it seems, that all important features are working! Thanks a lot for your rom! :D

ctiger

Oct 22, 2008
I have the official A500 ICS, didn't do anything other than the OTA upgrade, and it worked fine until I installed some additional apps, it started to do the SOD. Then I uninstalled the latest apps I added, more likely instagram, and the SOD went away, till now at least. So, if you can't get it to work, maybe a factory reset to clear out all the apps might help, then, add apps slowly to see find out which one actually act bad.

rktdi

Jan 14, 2012
Horsens

Ok, keep in mind, it's late in Moscow, and I have a baby that will need bath (long process) and other family duties.

Let's get your computer prepared the way it should always be when dealing with the dark side of android.

Your tab is running now, and that's good. You have a .021 build. Ok. But let;s see if we can make it better.

Open Windows explorer, go to C:\program file (x86)\Android\Android-sdk\platform tools . Open a command window here (SHIFT & Right mouse click)

Then type adb devices in the CMD window. Should show device connected and some numbers.

Then try again.

Using a paper clip, or needle or something. Press and hold the pin hole button near the USB port. Hold it. Then, press and hold PWR button. Wait 4 seconds, release PWR only. 1 second later, release the pin hole.

When you connect your tab to your PC, after a few seconds, the PC should recognize this as (Recovery Mode, APX Mode, or Download Mode)

Will need to know what it says. If it says nothing, but gives you an error in Windows device manager, then Houston, we have a problem. And the problem is the drivers. And you need to fix it. You may have to manually select from a list or tell it where the drivers are.

MD

Great tutorial!

I have a500 with ota ICS. Rooted. Locked bootloader. And working fine, but I think it could be better..

I am used to flashing rom and kernel on my android phone, but it looks like it is a bit more difficult on this device..

If I want to try another rom, should I follow your tutorial first? Or what do I do?

Oh, and what rom do you recommend? - I need fast, reliable and everything working.. Nothing fancy is required :)

Sent from my A500 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Then try again.

MD

MD

MD

Thx.

The only stupid question, is the one that doesn't get asked ;)

What is the current version you are on? (settings/about tablet) The current build should be .021

MD
    Android 4.0.3
    Kernel 2.6.39.4+
    Image Acer_AV041_A501_RV20RC05_EMEA
    Build Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_EMEA_DE
    P/N FM.S14A0.02A

Is it all you need?

MD