Asus Mypal A6x6 WM6.5 rom version 1a (4-4-10)

Search This thread

Steven855

I wasn't expecting to do this, but I had a 2 hour delay at my college due to snowy weather, so I decided to take the time to upload my 1st official WM6.5 rom for the Asus A6x6 early. Keep in mind that this rom is far from perfect and the fancy new WM6.5 today screen is not working (looks like the today screen from WM6/6.1).

Thanks to Makuu (for helping to get me started), Lenny, AstainHellbring (thank you for all the nightly help sessions), the creators of the tools I used to make this rom, and anyone else that I failed to mention in name who gave me the knowledge to complete this rom.

Asus Mypal A6x6 WM6.5 version 1a
Windows CE version 5.2.21234 (Build 21234.5.0.1)

This was tested on an Asus Mypal A626 (and works). It should work with the A686/A696, but the other models were not tested. Any other models not metioned above WILL NOT WORK.

Updates
1. os build
2. bug fixes

Additions
1. Windows Marketplace
2. File Dialogue Changer
3. PsShutXP

Removals (you can reinstall these via windows marketplace)
1. Windows Live
2. MS Office Mobile (get the beta from marketplace)

Removals (non-Windows Marketplace)
1. Remote Desktop Mobile

download: http://www.easy-share.com/1909744620/Asus_A6x6_WM65_1a.rar

At this time, this will be the only download link. Mirrors will be created in the future (after I give permission).

Instructions (I have included a txt file with same instructions for offline convenience)

Before you do anything, make sure you have at least a 256mb SD card and a card reader (you can get one at a place like Radio Shack or Office Depot). You also need to install winrar (found at http://www.win-rar.com/download.html). Your SD card must be formatted with the FAT16 file system.

To format your SD Card with the FAT16 file system

Step 1: To do this insert the SD Card into the reader and go to "My Computer".
Step 1a: BACKUP YOUR FILES before you start!!
Step 2: Right-click the drive letter of the SD Card reader (differs for each computer, probably either E:\ or F:\ or G:\) and click "Format".
Step 2a: Don't worry about any of the options except for file system, choose "FAT"
Step 3: Click "Start" and wait until it is done

Step 1: Get (OS) rom image
Step 2: Extract files to any folder on hard drive using Winrar
Step 3: Go to the folder where you extracted the files in the RAR archive
Step 4: Make sure that the filename is "CANNES_A_WM6.img"
Step 4a: if the img file it's not exactly "CANNES_A_WM6.img", rename it to that
Step 5: Format the SD card if you haven't already done so using the instructions above
Step 6: Copy the img file to the SD card, see step 6a
Step 6a: Make sure that the img file is the ONLY file on the SD card after formatting
Step 7: Take SD Card out of SD Card reader and put it in the a6x6
Step 8: Make sure that the a6x6 is plugged in via ac adapter before doing the next few steps
Step 9: activate SD Loader using the following instructions {
Step 9a: Hold down the power button and enter button (that's the button in the center of the d-pad)
Step 9b: Double tap the soft reset button while holding the other 2 buttons
Step 9c: After double tapping the soft reset button, keep the other 2 buttons held until a blue screen comes up that says something like Asus Cannes flashing utility
Step 9d: Wait until the process is finished (it's near the end when it says "writing private")
}
Step 10: At this point, your a6x6 should reboot on its own
Step 11: enjoy your updated rom

If you have any questions, feel free to just post or PM me.

As I release new roms, if you have a support question, please give me the rom version so I know what rom you are working with. You can get the rom version from the filename of the rom pack.

Example: Asus_A626_WM614_1
A626 = device (most often it will be A626, will rarely be different), WM614 = os version, 1 = release #

Last edited:

Steven855

Update: Ok, I put out a bug fix rom with a fix for the today screen. I am still trying to find a fix for the sound and notifications control panel applet. The old rom (version 1) is deprecated and is not available for download any more. Use version 1a instead.

Last edited:

Skromnjaga

Jun 12, 2008
Kyiv
ASUS A696 User

Hi, Thanks for the release and good work. Since this is only the beginning (I hope), I begin to inform the performance firmware on my PDA (ASUS A696).

1 - Bluetooth - does not work (does not receive or send files)
- In the settings instead of the icon is a black square.

2 - Today - of all the elements shown only date and time, and only in the old form (as in the previous OS). I wish that Today was like other communicators.

3 - Start - which happened to all the sounds from the "Sounds and Notifications"?

4 - Software & others - as the 696 series have more memory, you can not throw out the program and plug-ins.
Waiting for a new version;)
Sorry for my English? i'm from Ukraine).

Steven855

Hi, Thanks for the release and good work. Since this is only the beginning (I hope), I begin to inform the performance firmware on my PDA (ASUS A696).

- In the settings instead of the icon is a black square.

2 - Today - of all the elements shown only date and time, and only in the old form (as in the previous OS). I wish that Today was like other communicators.

3 - Start - which happened to all the sounds from the "Sounds and Notifications"?

4 - Software & others - as the 696 series have more memory, you can not throw out the program and plug-ins.
Waiting for a new version;)
Sorry for my English? i'm from Ukraine).
A few comments on your post:

1. I will check on the bluetooth situation. When I tested bluetooth, I didn't quite test file exchange enough.

2. I am working on a remedy/fix for the today screeen. However, I have no idea how long it will take for me to get it working.

3. This is just a matter of updating a few files. I used an older (and verifiably working) package to give non-phone support.

4. I am aware that the A696 and the later version of the A626 carry more flash rom space than the older version of the A626 and the A686. However, no matter what device I make roms for, there is a finite amount of space to fit everything into. As operating systems and programs progress, they get bigger and bigger. If everything keeps growing in file size, there is less space to fit more items, so I must remove some files/programs to keep within that finite limit of storage space. Where do all the files that I put into the rom go? Well, if you take a look at your storage memory, you will see that the total storage memory available is less than the standard 256 rom size.

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I've downloaded and successfully flashed. Working good so far. I'm just installing some programs that I normally use and haven't run into an issue yet. It will be nice to have a working home screen but for now it isn't that big of a deal. I don't use bluetooth often so I can't comment on that yet. Wifi working, my music plays with S2P, I used windows market place to install netflix and office.

Keep up the good work!

valyan

Aug 29, 2008
Good job, but there are many failures to complete.
1) Today
2) Pictograms from former versions
3) "Sounds and Notifications"
4) Black pictogram Bluetooth in menu
5) When I close program - PDA show me Today(but must show menu)
6) Where is Oficce? :)
7) The pictograms not move in Start menu(only "Move to top")

Can you change your previous OS(WM6.1 rom version 2) context menu, pop-up menu and other for new from this OS?
P.S.: Sorry if you don't understand me :) I used translator...

Last edited:

[nemielas]

Mar 2, 2010
just tested this build together with your WM6.1 release.

first impression - looks nice :D
even though seems slower on A696 - but this could be just because it's not tailored fully.

1) didn't test bluetooth much but seems to work fine with sending/recieving. I'd even say it's faster than on WM6.1 v2 release;

2) "Sounds and Notifications" problem with Events from previous v2 WM6.1 build;

3) under "System - Bluetooth" sometimes on BT icon there's black square - didn't notice when it happens though;

4) closing program throws you into Today screen insted of previous step;

5) same problem with Task Manager as I've said in previous thread for WM6.1

good luck :)

sergeysnl

Mar 4, 2010
Hello, Steven!
I'm very thankfull to you for WM 6.5.
I have trouble, while installing, to say correctly, on the beginning of installing on my a626. I did everything as in instructions, even for few times. When i press power and enter button, make double tip on the soft reset, I see blue screen, where said sth about Cannes and its version.
it write my FAT type(FAT16), i see very little blink of "Reading file", if not take off fingers from power and enter button, it resets to blue screen again, if take fingers off the buttons, PDA loads...I just don't know what to do.. please, help me!

ps: sorry for my english.

Last edited:

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I think I've found an issue. This morning when I turned on the device I had a missed appointment, the notification dialog at the bottom of the screen showed up but it was blank and had the wrong time on it. Not sure if this is a 6.5 issue or an Outlook 2010 issue.

Steven855

I think I've found an issue. This morning when I turned on the device I had a missed appointment, the notification dialog at the bottom of the screen showed up but it was blank and had the wrong time on it. Not sure if this is a 6.5 issue or an Outlook 2010 issue.
Oh dear..I will be sure to check on that. As far as Outlook, do you mean Outlook on desktop Windows or Pocket Outlook on Windows Mobile? The only thing is that office (outlook) 2010 is still in beta and hasn't been released officially to the general public yet, so I can't find any definite fixes. I still believe you, but the fact remains that Outlook 2010 is still in beta and the code for the finished product could always change.

sergeysnl

Mar 4, 2010
Steven, why have you ignored my message? :(

Hello, Steven!
I'm very thankfull to you for WM 6.5.
I have trouble, while installing, to say correctly, on the beginning of installing on my a626. I did everything as in instructions, even for few times. When i press power and enter button, make double tip on the soft reset, I see blue screen, where said sth about Cannes and its version.
it write my FAT type(FAT16), i see very little blink of "Reading file", if not take off fingers from power and enter button, it resets to blue screen again, if take fingers off the buttons, PDA loads...I just don't know what to do.. please, help me!

ps: sorry for my english.

asysoft

Dec 1, 2009
I had the same issue. With a slightly modified .img ("replace:0xC 09 04 => 36 D6" by _barmaley; because I'm a new user I couldn't link the original post...) the update completed successfully.

PS: Steven thank you for the ROM!

bmasephol

Jul 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Oh dear..I will be sure to check on that. As far as Outlook, do you mean Outlook on desktop Windows or Pocket Outlook on Windows Mobile? The only thing is that office (outlook) 2010 is still in beta and hasn't been released officially to the general public yet, so I can't find any definite fixes. I still believe you, but the fact remains that Outlook 2010 is still in beta and the code for the finished product could always change.

I am using Pocket Outlook, the new 2010 beta. But it doesn't seem to be related to that, if I make a Notification Dialog popup from something like turning off the A626 it gives me a blank white box. Now I've soft reset the device and it seems to have gone away. I'll keep trying to figure out how to recreate it.

_barmaley

Sep 29, 2007
First of all, thank you Steven855 for your job ;)

i have no problems with a bluetooth (i can send and get files from my nokia e60)

Try to change values in System Registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\TODAY\ITEMS\Windows Live\Enabled (from 1 to 0)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\TODAY\ITEMS\Windows Live Search\Enabled (from 1 to 0)

make a soft reset, check(ON) your plugin in today's settings, make a soft reset

now i have a problem with a today's size (you can see a scrollbar at the right side of the today's area) but its a better as nothing

Last edited:

Steven855

First of all, thank you Steven855 for your job ;)

i have no problems with a bluetooth (i can send and get files from my nokia e60)

Try to change values in System Registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\TODAY\ITEMS\Windows Live\Enabled (from 1 to 0)
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\TODAY\ITEMS\Windows Live Search\Enabled (from 1 to 0)

make a soft reset, check(ON) your plugin in today's settings, make a soft reset

now i have a problem with a today's size (you can see a scrollbar at the right side of the today's area) but its a better as nothing
Are you telling me this is how to fix the today screen issue? If it is (I still have to test it), I commend you for finding a fix that actually works.

_barmaley

Sep 29, 2007
Are you telling me this is how to fix the today screen issue? If it is (I still have to test it), I commend you for finding a fix that actually works.

yes, this is a tricks to fix the today screen... ;)
i've tested it on my ASUS mypal a696 (but due to the fact that wm6.5 is not stable, I was forced to return to the WM6)

Last edited:

_barmaley

Sep 29, 2007
Is this all? Is there a step you're not telling me (I can't seem to replicate it)? What registry editor did you use? Did you use the (soft) reset button or did you use a program to soft reset the device?

I edited the registry, because I was not able to check (ON/OFF) plugins in today's settings
i use resco explorer & reset button.
!!!!!!!!!Try to set ENABLE to 1 for your Plugin (HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\TODAY\ITEMS\"YOUR TODAY'S PLUGIN"\Enabled (from 0 to 1)!!!!!!!!!!!

what program can record video from screen PDA, I could write all steps

ASUS 696 owners please check and confirm the efficiency of the method.

Last edited:

protomanez

Aug 26, 2009
I'm Up There Eh?
what's the soft reset button on the asus a626? Not quite sure, the device reboots into OS D:
EDIT:NVM I got it, for ASUS A626 DEVICES, POWER OFF YOUR PHONE BUT DO NOT PRESS THE REBOOT KEYS. ONLY PRESS THE MIDDLE D-PAD BUTTON AND YOUR POWER BUTTON

Last edited: