[NIGHTLY][ROM][4.4] CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung Galaxy S

Search This thread

2k4ever

Nov 11, 2010
call delay

today, i installed CM11 M2 coming from ICS so I still have to find my way around.
thanks for the great work btw!

however i recieved 2 calls and want to share my experience with the call delay:
first call: i was using the phone, phone startet ringing and a black screen (statusbar was visible) appeard.
I'm using EZanswer and i could take the call with the volume buttons as i normally would.

second (test) call - here it gets interesting:
10 minutes after reboot, not having used the phone and screen off.
phone startet ringing immediately and between first and second ring, the call screen appeared.
however after 1 or 2 sec, the call screen was replaced by a a black screen (statusbar was visible)

Therefore, i would argue that loading the UI even if not in RAM is not the problem, but there has to be some bug in the UI itself or there is some overlay loaded on top of it

EDIT: using EZanswer i can reproduce and circumwent the problem!
when activating the Full screen Image mode, I'm NOT getting the black overlay and i can see the regular call screen
hopefully, someone of you having the same prolbems can try out the 2 day trial version and confirm this

Last edited:

pawitp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2010
Bangkok

freakymod2120

Jun 26, 2013
Short feedback to latest nightly (20140106)

Hi pawitp,

here a short feedback about the latest nightly:

- Known issue "Privacy guard icon not disappearing when exited app" is solved, i have tested with every app i use privacy guard, when exiting the app the icon disappear now :good:
The entry in the know issues can be deleted ...when there is no veto on anyone ...

- The first steps i have tested after flashing the new nightly are great with new ZRAM-Config (128MB). the browser works smoother - in my opinion- especially when opening 4 or more tabs ...and the phone is waking up a little bit faster (from sleep) ...but it is only a snapshot actually ...

So now i`m curious about other opinion/feelings about the latest nightly and new ZRAM-setting ...

Many greetings ...

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

For my part: I had no gapps installed actually ...

Are you using the gapps package in the OP? Some might not come with the required library.

Reactions: pawitp

nekuy

Aug 28, 2007
Last edited:
Reactions: freakymod2120

freakymod2120

Jun 26, 2013
Okay i`m sorry for that...:crying:

Another question about ZRAM:
It is a partition, but from where get it is size (128MB) which parition gets reduced for this from system, data, datdata ???...:confused:

Swipe typing is Google's proprietary implementation and requires gapps to be installed.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Yeah and didn`t install the gapps with CM11 ...;)

Ah I didn't, I still have the Gapps from my older CM 10.2 build. Will try this at once.

jorgemiguel4

Jul 22, 2011
Okay i`m sorry for that...:crying:

Another question about ZRAM:
It is a partition, but from where get it is size (128MB) which parition gets reduced for this from system, data, datdata ???...:confused:

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Yeah and didn`t install the gapps with CM11 ...;)

ZRAM uses RAM, so none of those partitions need to be reduced.

fran_xda

Dec 28, 2011
Hi, did any of you tried to check the smoothness of pulling notifications if Bluetooth is enabled? I am forced to have Bluetooth always on so my notifications are really ugly..

tomekrk92

Jan 22, 2011
Cracow
Hi, did any of you tried to check the smoothness of pulling notifications if Bluetooth is enabled? I am forced to have Bluetooth always on so my notifications are really ugly..

I tried it and.. it really works! With Bluetooth OFF notification bar animation is choppy for me, but with Bluetooth ON it immediately becomes smooth!

geckoas

May 13, 2012
Nuremberg
Where can I activate ZRAM? The setting is not longer available under "Performance/Memory Management" after upgrade to 20130106 Nightly.

sent from my galaxy I9000 running CM11 with tapatalk

hertzschi

May 23, 2012
Where can I activate ZRAM? The setting is not longer available under "Performance/Memory Management" after upgrade to 20130106 Nightly.

Commit Message of
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/56891/ says:

aries-common: use KitKat zRAM setting
CM's compcache has been removed, so we need to migrate to KitKat's
mechanism. The value is set to 64 MB for now, which is approximately
equal to the old 18% setting.Change-Id: Ib780aed8c336cea5baf0f672e41179ef85790061
That's also what I see now, I had max. ZRAM compression and now AndroidSystem and SystemUi use slightly more memory than before.
So you can't adjust ZRAM compression for now I suppose

Last edited:
Reactions: geckoas

octolith

Nov 16, 2010
Budakeszi

I tried it and.. it really works! With Bluetooth OFF notification bar animation is choppy for me, but with Bluetooth ON it immediately becomes smooth!

Umm, this is weird, but turning on bluetooth really makes the animation of swiping notifications faster. And it's not a placebo, I can confirm this.

zuphus

Mar 17, 2011
Tried that too and it works...Weird :-S

I does not make any difference here (all stock/0601 nightly)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

I does not make any difference here (all stock/0601 nightly)

In both cases the phone is very smooth!

PxGold

Nov 26, 2010
Commit Message of
http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/56891/ says:

That's also what I see now, I had max. ZRAM compression and now AndroidSystem and SystemUi use slightly more memory than before.
So you can't adjust ZRAM compression for now I suppose

But it looks like they also made this change:
"aries-common: increase zRAM to 128 MB

This gets compressed to ~40 MB on RAM and may provide benefits
to multitasking."

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/56892/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.4 (KitKat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

What are Nightly builds? Auto compiled builds of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. This version change each night and aren't officialy supported. If you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here (do not submit nightlies bug on CyanogenMod issue tracker).

Downloads

Latest build: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=galaxysmtd
    Google Apps: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Gapps

Installation

- First time flashing CM11 to your Galaxy S (or coming from another ROM)?
    (Note: a more detailed instruction for first-time install is available on CM Wiki: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_galaxysmtd)
    1. If you're on a ROM prior to 2.3, upgrade to 2.3 is recommended.
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery (e.g. Semaphore_2.7.4.tar from http://www.semaphore.gr/downloads).
    3. Reboot into Recovery using 3-button-combo
    4. Do a Nandroid backup!
    5. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    6. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    7. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM7/CM9?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    3. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    4. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM10/10.1?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    2. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    3. You will finally see a "set_metadata_recursive" status 7 error. That is normal.
    4. Reboot back into recovery (the reboot is required)
    5. Install the ROM again from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally restore /data from Nandroid Backup (the update will wipe your /data)
    7. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from CM10.2?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    3. Optionally install the Google Addon
    - Upgrading from another build of CM11?
    1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    Warning: You may get set_metadata_recursive related-errors during install if you're using a custom kernel without SELinux support. In that case, revert to the stock kernel before continuing or follow the instruction for upgrading from CM10.1.
    Note: The partition layout of CM11 is the same as CM10.2.

Known Issues
    Please do not report bugs if it is already listen in the list of known issues
    • Some CyanogenMod features a missing - please do not file bug reports for those.
    • Cannot set value via custom brightness "Edit" menu
    • No account selected for Backup (gapps problem?)

Reporting Bugs

You are allowed to report bugs only in this thread. Before reporting a bug, please make sure you are running as stock as possible. This means no custom kernel, no custom framework modification, etc. If you are using any of the above modifications, please flash the rom again to get rid of the modifications before reporting.

REPORT BUGS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

• Grab a logcat right after the problem has occurred. (Please include at least a few pages of the log, not just the last few lines, unless you know what you're doing.)
    • If it is a random reboot, grab /proc/last_kmsg. (Do not bother getting a logcat unless you can get it just before the reboot. A logcat after a reboot is useless)
    • If the problem disappears after running "setenforce 0" from a root shell, grab /data/misc/audit/audit.log
    Remember to provide as much info as possible. The more info you provide, the more likely that the bug will be solved. The following is a useful format to follow. Note: If you can provide the latest night/build that the bug didn't exist, it would greatly help in tracking down what caused it.

Code:
    What is your--
    Phone model:
    Radio (baseband):
    CM version:
    CM Download url:
    Gapps version:

Did you--
    wipe:
     restore with titanium backup:
    reboot after having the issue:

Are you using--
    a task killer:
    a non-stock kernel:
    CMSettings/Performance settings (other than stock):
    ART Runtime:
    other modifications:

Provide any additional information (observations/frequency of problem/last version it worked on/etc) as needed:

FAQ
    Why is there no transparent status bar/lockscreen widget/"OK Google"?
    Those features have been disabled by Google for low RAM device in order to save RAM. You can try enabling it by removing "ro.config.low_ram=true" from /system/build.prop, however, it is not an officially supported setup.

Does this ROM support FM radio?
    I've checked and the new FM API in CM is not really compatible with our device without heavy modification. Applications using the new API expect to be able to read the FM input as it if were another stream, but FM on our device only does pass-through from FM receiver to speaker/headset, which causes certain functionalities to not work such as volume control. Maybe one can modify the audio routing table in the kernel to have it behave like the API expected, but I'm not really interested in investing time to do that.

TL;DR: No built-in FM radio except if someone else does it and submits a patch.

Why aren't configurations with more than 368 MB used?
    Kernels with more than 368 MB have to sacrifice high-bitrate HD playback ability. The current memory configuration has been designed for maximum compatibility.

Wi-Fi AP does not work after restoring /data with CWM
    CWM does not handle SELinux very well yet. Run this in a root shell to clear all wifi data and reboot.

Code:
    rm -rf /data/misc/wifi

Changelog
    A rough changelog is available here:
    http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#/galaxysmtd/next or http://www.cmxlog.com/11/galaxysmtd/

For previous unofficial releases, see here

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
    Need more RAM?

Need more RAM?

Using CMA, memory usually reserved for hardware (camera, video encoding/decoding, jpeg encoding) can be freed for use by applications when they are not in-use. All features, including 720p recording, high-rate video decoding, etc. will still work as before.

This is a WIP. No ETA. There are still a lot of problems with it and it might not be released at all if I don't have time to fix all the issues. Please don't ask to test either, if I need testers, I'd post it in this thread.
    • Added TV Out in Settings -> Display -> Advanced Settings
    • Prevent back button from being pressed in incoming call screen
    • Fixed Browser FC in Advanced -> Website settings
    • Fixed Quick Access Ribbon gone when switching from Quick Settings
    • Fixed 2G/3G Quick Settings toggle
    • Fixed stuttering FLAC music playback
    About RAM mode

Due to an oversight, this build wasn't shipped with low RAM mode enabled. If anyone wants to try, you can add "ro.config.low_ram=true" to your /system/build.prop.

This will disable several features such as translucent status bar, lock screen widgets.

Future builds will ship with this option enabled. (This is actually mandated by the Android CTS. Those that prefer the effects over low memory usage must manually remove the config from build.prop. Before anyone asks, it won't be configurable from Settings.)
    20131118 uploaded.

This should provide better performance if you use zRAM (Settings -> Performance -> Memory Management). Please try the various settings and report back how it affects your experience.