Ubuntu Phone for the HTC HD2

Search This thread

z3nful

Jan 22, 2011
Phoenix
www.hookupcellular.com
I've gotten the rom itself to build right for the HD2, but the jellybean kernel has a few things that aren't compiling right, namely, the Kernel Namespace Support for networking. Which I should probably just ignore for now anyways since wifi doesn't work yet for Android CM10.1 on HD2.

If I get time today, ill try to get an installable zip setup.

Spaqin

Oct 5, 2010
That's great news! I hope it will boot without problems :3

By the way, do we know what's the cause of that Kernel Namespace Support error and WiFi not working on 4.2? I'm pretty sure Desire has it working and there aren't many differences...

Reactions: z3nful

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
I've gotten the rom itself to build right for the HD2, but the jellybean kernel has a few things that aren't compiling right, namely, the Kernel Namespace Support for networking. Which I should probably just ignore for now anyways since wifi doesn't work yet for Android CM10.1 on HD2.

Thanks, looking forward to it:D
FYI marc1706 posted a jb kernel with bcmdhd support here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35571547&postcount=167
I think he tried it on 4.2.2 rom here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38059342&postcount=37 and then posted this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38063992&postcount=47

Last edited:

john francis

Oct 21, 2012

Thanks for your work. where can i get the installable zip?

lkashl

Dec 30, 2012

Haha network compatibility is irrelevant if it means we can get our hands on the ROM early :)

Thanks for porting it over!

z3nful

Jan 22, 2011
Phoenix
www.hookupcellular.com
Development for this slightly slowed over the weekend as I broke my Nexus 4 and had to go back to using my HD2 as the business phone, but I should have something soon. Its going to be magldr only at first, and probably only fit on US HD2 (since EU has half the space)

Once I have it up, if someone with knowledge of SD builds and Native SD can give a quick hand (I never had time to do more than nand installs), we can get it working for all models.

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium

Last edited:

Johrans

Jul 14, 2012
Zeeland
Once I have it up, if someone with knowledge of SD builds and Native SD can give a quick hand (I never had time to do more than nand installs), we can get it working for all models.

there are some tuts about that sow thats no problem for the most guy's/developers here/

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
Anyone got any further with this... we have a CM10.1 with wifi now.
I have managed to get it running on my tablet so may be able to help reading logcats etc.
Feel free to PM

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
I need some help from other devs, or if you have knowledge about *building* Android (CM10.1), please PM me.

Most of what you need is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices/tf300t
With a few adaptions, it should build, for the custom manifest leave libybis and platform-api as they are and change the kernel to Sportstar89's (or tytungs latest), and the device line to Sportstar89's found here. Such as:
Code:
<project path="ubuntu/hybris" name="f69m/ubuntu-phablet_libhybris" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/master" />
<project path="ubuntu/platform-api" name="f69m/ubuntu-phablet_platform-api" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/master" />

<project path="kernel/htc/leo" name="Sportsstar89/android_kernel_htc_leo" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
<project path="device/htc/leo" name="Sportsstar89/android_device_htc_leo" remote="github" revision="refs/heads/cm-10.1" />
Most of the rest you should be able to see what needs modified. (Haven't actually built CM10.1 (don't have the hardware) so didn't PM).

warriorvibhu

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere Amazing
HTC One (m7)
LG V10
Hey,
From what i have seen, i ported and installed Ubuntu touch on one of the nexus devices .. though it was pretty straight forward but the version they have released is absolutely non usable, most of the apps there, are placeholders and settings is not accessible at all. But do not go by my information, my information is more than a month old when they released developer preview and i was so disappointed with their efforts that after that i stopped following them so if they have released some new version or updates after that i have no idea but think about it ...
Best Regards
V

hopkinskong

Nov 8, 2008
Hong Kong
I didn't met any compiling problem.
Instead, my base Android is not working.
It seems that everything i built were useless.
All of my services crashes, included surfaceflinger, servicemanager, etc.
I traced the logs, all of them crashes for Seg. Fault, and the reason is, all of them cannot allocate/map memory.

HypoTurtle

May 5, 2011
I didn't met any compiling problem.
Instead, my base Android is not working.
It seems that everything i built were useless.
All of my services crashes, included surfaceflinger, servicemanager, etc.
I traced the logs, all of them crashes for Seg. Fault, and the reason is, all of them cannot allocate/map memory.

Care to post the logs?

Few questions...
Which release of armhf are you using? (the tablet that I have UT running on, doesn't work with builds from the past week).
Is the log crashing/looping at ubuntuappmanager?
Are you sure init.rc has been correctly modified (if you have a boot animation then I'd guess init.rc wasn't modified during the build)?
If your compiled zip is ~50MB and you have the ubuntu specific parts (ubuntu_chroot, ubuntuappmanager, uchroot and lib*_compat_layer.so's), then I'm sure it was built fine.
Have you done the manual changes that are needed, kernel config etc.

hopkinskong

Nov 8, 2008
Hong Kong
Care to post the logs?

Few questions...
Which release of armhf are you using? (the tablet that I have UT running on, doesn't work with builds from the past week).
Is the log crashing/looping at ubuntuappmanager?
Are you sure init.rc has been correctly modified (if you have a boot animation then I'd guess init.rc wasn't modified during the build)?
If your compiled zip is ~50MB and you have the ubuntu specific parts (ubuntu_chroot, ubuntuappmanager, uchroot and lib*_compat_layer.so's), then I'm sure it was built fine.
Have you done the manual changes that are needed, kernel config etc.

All of my Android services crashed, this include surfaceflinger, servicemanager, media, etc.
They all have Seg. Fault (MAPERR), which i think they cannot allocate memory properly.
This could be the problem of the program, or the kernel.
Currently, i am using 2.6.x kernel (the old one), maybe this is the problem.
Later on, i will try 3.x kernel (which is from https://github.com/hopkinskong/android_kernel_htc_leo).

My compiled zip is ~42MB and i confirm that ubuntu_chroot, ubuntuappmanager, uchroot, ubuntu-session, hybris (which communicates with android's HAL [I didn't confirm that yet]) is exists.

Here is your log file requested: (I am just giving out FEW ONLY, because the rests are just the same (SEGV_MAPERR).
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/5677367/
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/5677369/
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/5677371/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, then we will need that (so it should be the reason why the GUI was not accessible), but dalvikvm and app_process will crash if they are not removed.

OK, surfacefligner won't crash anymore, after adding egl libraries, and LOTS of libraries in /system/lib/hw, idk why all of my library is missing, may be there are some problem in the build.
    Surfaceflinger won't crash, but mediaserver and drmserver are start crashing, idk why...
    Good news is, i got the boot animation screen now. (CM10.1)

I am trying the ubuntu rootfs now.

EDIT: No android services are crashing now. But i get Seg. Fault on ubuntuappmanager, i think that i need to try mwc-demo instead of the newest rootfs.
    Development for this slightly slowed over the weekend as I broke my Nexus 4 and had to go back to using my HD2 as the business phone, but I should have something soon. Its going to be magldr only at first, and probably only fit on US HD2 (since EU has half the space)

OK...
    My public exam is approaching, and i only got a little time for this now.
    July and August will be the final development (for me) of the Ubuntu Touch on HTC HD2 (at least for me).
    I am still stuck on the GUI.

Current state:
    (2013-06-30) I suspect my Android build is defect, some important HAL modules does not being built. Still solving.

Thanks, looking forward to it:D
    FYI marc1706 posted a jb kernel with bcmdhd support here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=35571547&postcount=167
    I think he tried it on 4.2.2 rom here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38059342&postcount=37 and then posted this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38063992&postcount=47