Fixing a phone that won't start (buying off cheaply online)

Search This thread

trein91

Jun 14, 2012
I'm looking at getting this phone off a local auction site. It's in perfect condition but the owner says that "suddenly one day phone was on charge and turned off won't turn on". Is it possible for me to get it and try to fix it?

If I can get into recovery mode, how should I push a custom rooted rom onto it? Or perhaps should I download an official firmware for the S4, and push it to install via the official way of using Odin + download mode? Can't seem to remember parts of it since the last time I dealt with Odin was 1 1/5 years ago on my S3.

PS. Is download mode the same like on the s3? Ie, power button + home + volume down

EDIT. Called the seller, apparently the phone doesn't even display the samsung logo. Should I give up? Could be some hardware issue or idk.

Last edited:

pokedroid

Apr 21, 2010
I'm looking at getting this phone off a local auction site. It's in perfect condition but the owner says that "suddenly one day phone was on charge and turned off won't turn on". Is it possible for me to get it and try to fix it?

If I can get into recovery mode, how should I push a custom rooted rom onto it? Or perhaps should I download an official firmware for the S4, and push it to install via the official way of using Odin + download mode? Can't seem to remember parts of it since the last time I dealt with Odin was 1 1/5 years ago on my S3.

PS. Is download mode the same like on the s3? Ie, power button + home + volume down

EDIT. Called the seller, apparently the phone doesn't even display the samsung logo. Should I give up? Could be some hardware issue or idk.

Sadly I can't offer any answers to your questions, however I can say that this happened to my phone just a few days ago as well. Mine is absolutely FUBAR. I've gone through everything I can think of short of disassembling it and trying to replace any hardware as I don't want my first attempt to be on my s4 that's still under warranty and trying to determine which piece was bad wouldn't be any more than my trial and error.

I hope someone can point you in the right direction friend.

Joku1981

Jun 4, 2012
This sound like a fraud. You have a nice paperweight. Return it if you can and dont believe the people that sells things cheap in ebay or places like that. I hope u paid with Paypal or other service that can refund u the money :)

trein91

Jun 14, 2012
This sound like a fraud. You have a nice paperweight. Return it if you can and dont believe the people that sells things cheap in ebay or places like that. I hope u paid with Paypal or other service that can refund u the money :)

Didn't pay him yet. I will plan to meet up with him with my laptop along just so I can try to fix the phone. It should be fine as long as I can enter recovery /download. If that's the case then I will buy it from him lol. It's cash on delivery. Not pre paid =p