[Q] Dual-booting Dell Venue 8 Pro with Android

Search This thread

ebsbow

Jul 22, 2008
Looks sweet. Been waiting for dualboot support for Android on the pro.
How is performance in 3D applications?

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
ConsoleOS is a con; a rebadged version of Android-IA that looks like it's being 'repackaged' by people who don't even know how to code beyond changing a few text strings. They still don't seem to have Android up and running on a V11P with newer BIOS versions even though it was on their initial compatibility list, I sent them a photo of mine running 5.0.2 just for the giggles. Unless you happen to have one of the few machines which are properly supported by Intel's IA effort, it's a crapshoot.

IntelSoftware Black Belt Developer stiffs backers with consoleOS.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josian about 7 hours ago
Hello.
I am usually not the one to complain, but when I decide to do it, I go all the way until I become a thorn.
It is APRIL of 2015, over 120 days after what we were promised the rewards, and you still have not delivered android on the
Dell Venue 8 pro. All the files you made available for download were pretty bad explained in terms of installation, and none
so far would work with the tablet that made me decide to help fund the project. More and more sound to me that this project was
thrown away and now with some cash in hands, you are going towards something else. I honestly don't care the direction you are going,
but if you promised something, you gotta deliver, or return the investment.

We were pitched:
"This isn’t an emulator and this isn’t homebrew. Console OS is real, native Android that can really toggle with Windows on your PC."
"Console OS is painless to install - for end-users and system builders alike.
This is what makes Console OS so great. You can either install it on your PC's internal drive, or run it entirely from a USB external
hard disk.
We’re not talking a demo (or "live") version either; all your apps, documents, even encryption can work booting directly from a
USB hard disk."
Where is it? So far I haven't seen or experienced any of that. I truly would like to know and EXPERIENCE IT/USE IT or have the investment back. The pitch and delivery time were very clear. It's been way past that and I think it is time to have it delivered. Please let me know. Thank you.

Cykit 6 days ago
This would be probably the last time I will post something here since $10 loss would not worth too much speaking to @mmv,
no matter if it is really a legitimate company with "editor-s" or just one person role playing. I am sick and tired of waiting,
I bet so many of you feels the same. More than one year you haven't deliver, in the last post you say it's people get hot under the
collar, no, it is because you failed us and you refuse to acknowledge so. Even more insulting to our voters, is the fact you put all
the fault to us. "...we are doing what people voted for us to do...." is simply because you provided that option, by providing that
you implies you are capable. It turns out you are not. Further, you are not forth-coming about the fact that you may never will. Even
if one day you might achieve your goal (for discussion's sake let's assume you are really working on it), all the devices may be too
old for people to care about. And let's not forget Microsoft has opened the door to port Android apps. So, last but not least,
@mmv failure is not the end of the world, but it's shameful to hype others' expectation then not even have the guts to acknowledge
an obvious failure. $10 is small, but our expectation for a whole year is not.

REF: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmv/console-os-dual-boot-android-remastered-for-the-pc/comments

etoolz65

Jun 17, 2013
Did you ever get this to work? Did you find an image?

Hi,
Is there any chance of dualbooting Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 8 and Android? I like Windows 8 but would also like to be able to use Android on this awesome tablet.
If not dual boot, is there any other way of using Android as virtual machine or something that provides full touch and other sensor's support?
Thanks.

I know this is a very old post, but people still quote from it, //link from it, so I followed the link to here. It's open so I am replying, did you ever get it to work? People still to this day claim Droid won't run on an intel chip, etc, etc, etc, but I have two dell venue 8's, both were pro(win) and instead of buying a Droid Venue 8, I merely took the factory image for the Venue 8, loaded it etc, config'd it and it's a droid device to this day.

There are a few differences between the two devices dell sells, etc, but both will run pretty much anything. I have owned Droid devices(Asus) that had same specs as my win devices, and they were fones running droid.

I don't understand the continued idea that anything that's shipped with windows//intel specs will not run Droid, when for quite a while now, intel's been the cpu/gpu mechanicals operating and being operated by Droid...!!!

SO, if you see this post, let me know how you ever made out...

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
I know this is a very old post, but people still quote from it, //link from it, so I followed the link to here. It's open so I am replying, did you ever get it to work? People still to this day claim Droid won't run on an intel chip, etc, etc, etc, but I have two dell venue 8's, both were pro(win) and instead of buying a Droid Venue 8, I merely took the factory image for the Venue 8, loaded it etc, config'd it and it's a droid device to this day.

There are a few differences between the two devices dell sells, etc, but both will run pretty much anything. I have owned Droid devices(Asus) that had same specs as my win devices, and they were fones running droid.

I don't understand the continued idea that anything that's shipped with windows//intel specs will not run Droid, when for quite a while now, intel's been the cpu/gpu mechanicals operating and being operated by Droid...!!!

SO, if you see this post, let me know how you ever made out...

try android-x86.org
many have android KitKat and Lollipop running on that machine.......some things still being fixed but basically works.....

ref:
----
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/dell$20venue$208%7Csort:date/android-x86/aGLBaYUIw3Y/kYSyfd13qx4J

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/android-x86/dell$20venue$208%7Csort:date

RRogue

Aug 2, 2014
To be honest, Genymotion, is smoother than Bluestacks, since it has the Vanilla Android interface (without Samsung's Touchwiz or HTC's Sense). The problem is with trying to use the tablet's hardware such as the camera or gyroscope. The process is then not smooth and gameplay (for serious graphic intensive android games) are choppy or lagging at best. You get the feeling that it is all being emulated and not virtualized in the true sense.

I'm convinced you would have better success running Linux natively then finding a method of running Android apps as opposed to running Android on the device.

Android requires an ARM SoC processor. The Venue 8 Pro uses a full X86/64-bit processor. Therefore Android would need to be re-compiled. This isn't worth the effort in my opinion.

There is a n x86 Android kernel and x86 means 32 bit not 64, which would be x64. I know, wierd. I agree running Android apps on Linux would be smoother, but still, it's not the full Android experience. Sorry I had to correct you, I don't want people to get it wrong.
It is very likely that dual booting the Dell Venue is possible but it would probably take a lot of bricked tablets. As for dual booting Android, someone would have to make an Android kernel compatible with the tablet. I'm running a custom kernel on my Kindle Fire HD and it is so buggy. I'm not sure I would recommend dual booting the Dell Venue 8 because there isn't much storage unless you managed to boot off the micro SD which would be slower.

devilng

Jun 29, 2010
KIEV
Hello, developers!
yeah, i made it. my current configuration is dual-booting windows embedded 8.1 ind-ent (hd0,gpt4) and android (hd0,gpt5)
i need to manually enter following commands in grub cli to load android:
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,gpt5)
linuxefi /kernel
initrdefi /initrd.img
boot
I can't force grubefi to find it's configuration file. already tried to copy in /efi/boot , /efi/boot/grub , /boot/grub and such others on the same drive which grubia32.efi is located. any workaround? P.S. my (hd0,0) ESP partition is read-only as it's locked by vendor.

Last edited:

fgdn17

Dec 10, 2010
IntelSoftware Black Belt Developer stiffs backers with consoleOS.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josian about 7 hours ago
Hello.
I am usually not the one to complain, but when I decide to do it, I go all the way until I become a thorn.
It is APRIL of 2015, over 120 days after what we were promised the rewards, and you still have not delivered android on the
Dell Venue 8 pro. All the files you made available for download were pretty bad explained in terms of installation, and none
so far would work with the tablet that made me decide to help fund the project. More and more sound to me that this project was
thrown away and now with some cash in hands, you are going towards something else. I honestly don't care the direction you are going,
but if you promised something, you gotta deliver, or return the investment.

We were pitched:
"This isn’t an emulator and this isn’t homebrew. Console OS is real, native Android that can really toggle with Windows on your PC."
"Console OS is painless to install - for end-users and system builders alike.
This is what makes Console OS so great. You can either install it on your PC's internal drive, or run it entirely from a USB external
hard disk.
We’re not talking a demo (or "live") version either; all your apps, documents, even encryption can work booting directly from a
USB hard disk."
Where is it? So far I haven't seen or experienced any of that. I truly would like to know and EXPERIENCE IT/USE IT or have the investment back. The pitch and delivery time were very clear. It's been way past that and I think it is time to have it delivered. Please let me know. Thank you.

Cykit 6 days ago
This would be probably the last time I will post something here since $10 loss would not worth too much speaking to @mmv,
no matter if it is really a legitimate company with "editor-s" or just one person role playing. I am sick and tired of waiting,
I bet so many of you feels the same. More than one year you haven't deliver, in the last post you say it's people get hot under the
collar, no, it is because you failed us and you refuse to acknowledge so. Even more insulting to our voters, is the fact you put all
the fault to us. "...we are doing what people voted for us to do...." is simply because you provided that option, by providing that
you implies you are capable. It turns out you are not. Further, you are not forth-coming about the fact that you may never will. Even
if one day you might achieve your goal (for discussion's sake let's assume you are really working on it), all the devices may be too
old for people to care about. And let's not forget Microsoft has opened the door to port Android apps. So, last but not least,
@mmv failure is not the end of the world, but it's shameful to hype others' expectation then not even have the guts to acknowledge
an obvious failure. $10 is small, but our expectation for a whole year is not.

REF: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmv/console-os-dual-boot-android-remastered-for-the-pc/comments
How To Run A Scam called ConsoleOS....
--------------------------------------------------------

Multiple banks would not back your business plan, multiple venture capital firms would not back your business plan,
so why not go to KickStarter....those people would never do their due diligents to verify you could accomplish what
you claimed in your business plan. This all assumes that you had a business plan, which as it turns out you never had,
and never approached any bank or venture capitalist because you knew it was all a scam from the beginning, and they would laugh you out of their offices.

A way for you to ride on the initial work that Intel had done with android-ia, and that android-x86 had been so successful with
since 2009....the key was to initially destroy and / or discredit android-x86...which your good at because as a blogger you know
how to use multiple usernames to post on sites / forums to discredit what others are saying. How to get the credibility so your
not discounted as just another disgruntled user of various products / ideas you want to eliminate......?????

Become an Intel Black Belt Developer, like the old Microsoft Developer Program or the Apple Developer Program you end up paying
a few dollars, attending some meet-ups and classes and as long as you keep paying up your in....a true "Developer" for whoever
you want to pay. Once you've accomplished that it fairly easy to always be there for them to push their products, push their
company line, network with all the people who can help you move forward with your "special project" so you can use their stuff
and go out and scam people.........

Guess what now it’s time to pay the piper....your nothing but a fraud, pure and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

How To Run A Scam called ConsoleOS....
--------------------------------------------------------

Multiple banks would not back your business plan, multiple venture capital firms would not back your business plan,
so why not go to KickStarter....those people would never do their due diligents to verify you could accomplish what
you claimed in your business plan. This all assumes that you had a business plan, which as it turns out you never had,
and never approached any bank or venture capitalist because you knew it was all a scam from the beginning, and they would laugh you out of their offices.

A way for you to ride on the initial work that Intel had done with android-ia, and that android-x86 had been so successful with
since 2009....the key was to initially destroy and / or discredit android-x86...which your good at because as a blogger you know
how to use multiple usernames to post on sites / forums to discredit what others are saying. How to get the credibility so your
not discounted as just another disgruntled user of various products / ideas you want to eliminate......?????

Become an Intel Black Belt Developer, like the old Microsoft Developer Program or the Apple Developer Program you end up paying
a few dollars, attending some meet-ups and classes and as long as you keep paying up your in....a true "Developer" for whoever
you want to pay. Once you've accomplished that it fairly easy to always be there for them to push their products, push their
company line, network with all the people who can help you move forward with your "special project" so you can use their stuff
and go out and scam people.........

Guess what now it’s time to pay the piper....your nothing but a fraud, pure and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

most recent android-x86 builds.........
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-x86/BgrFoOb3joM

ThamNu

Feb 24, 2012
Hey, anyone tried to install android x86 on a dell venue 10 pro (5055) or even ran a live usb stick?:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is never any guarantee of not breaking a device! Perhaps starting with a USB OTG cable and booting the USB might be a first step - without installing to the device... that is if that is possible. I know it worked on my x86-64bit laptop, but the Venue Pro 8 is 32 bit apparently?

Anyway I don't have a Venue Pro 8 of my own... perhaps there is a guide somewhere on taking a full backup of your SSD in the device (or a similar device), including all the partitions etc?

I about to take the plunge very soon. I just completed the usb part of the tut. I am gonna use the IA3 file. I guess Ill see what happens soon. I already took the time to offload my backup on a usb, initially to make more space since I got the 16gig which really left me with only 6-8 gb. Taking out the recovery partition made about 3.45 gb free from the tab.

I already disabled "Secure Boot"
    After doing this and restarting this you will run into the problem about the bitlocker and needing to type in your bitlocker code from MS again. You could bypass and disable this by hitting disable bitlocker. But for the concern it will come up. I plan on making a thread for this and be the pioneer guy.

So yeah kinda scared to start it as I got this when MS store had there $99 deal.... waited for 8 hours till i got mine and hate to break it....
    Hi,

im going to get one DV8P soon. It would be cool, if you can try Andy from andyroid dot net (which is basically Android + VirtualBox afaik). It looks like a better solution than genymotions imo.
    dell venue 8 pro 5xxx android 4.4.4

i have been stuffing around on my venue 8 pro for a while now experimenting with different versions of bios and android images i find.... and its led to this!!!!!
    a broken chair(i fell off) and a venue 8 pro with android !!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

and the performance is mind boggling id compare it to my nexus 5

what i did :
    1 downgraded the bios to a03
    2 downloaded this image for the t100 groups(dot)google(dot)com/forum/#!msg/android-x86/FUiFCtrgc6I/Fqt8Rg-fpQkJ
    3 extracted all of the files onto a usb that was formatted with fat32
    4 held the power button and bumped the vol up button and it brought me to an odd looking boot manager
    5 choose my usb and booted from the first selected label

also i had found a image with wifi supoedly working so im gonna go and find it now

all that i have left to say to people is good luck!!

Oh ye this is my first ever post on xda.... So go easy lol

oh ye and sorry mods for putting the url there i just though this info was to good to lose

Now ...if any one can install it along side windows that would be amazing!! Not as a live copy
    Finally got WiFi (the built-in one) to work on Android on my Venue 8 Pro!
    I just needed to make sure that it used the latest firmware.
    So, at the moment, the only major things not working for me are bluetooth, autorotation (only works occasionally), brightness adjustment, and a proper sleep (pressing power button only blanks screen, backlight is still on, and battery still drains at same speed as when it's awake).