Unlocked bootloader without root?

Search This thread

curly9

Sep 29, 2011
Well i am not rooted at the moment cause i flashed a zip that took root off and still have a custom kernal going with unlocked bootloader is that even supposed to be possible?

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

radrian92

Nov 16, 2010
Placentia
Thats impossible. As soon as you flashed that "zip" it over writes everything. You need to be unlock to have a custom kernel

curly9

Sep 29, 2011
well thats what i thought but i couldent use root explorer or any root access apps but when i turn off the phone it still says unlock

curly9

Sep 29, 2011
i wouldent suggest it seeing now after it turned off it wouldent do the sbf files to fix. idk if it was dealing with that cause the sbf always finishes but ends up in a boot loop which as of right now im trying to fix it. but if it happens again ill c what i can do to show you. cause i always thought you had to be rooted to have an unlocked but idk if it was just a one time thing

SNAAAAKEE

Oct 11, 2011
I have this same issue right now how it happened for me is that I orginally used the one click root method I found here. Later down the road I noticed that a stable build of cm7 had come out so I decided to try it out. I flashed pudding and it worked just fine and unlocked the device when I went to go get clockwork on the device however, I noticed the my root was no longer working reading in the comments section I saw that the one click root method was not compatible with the unlocked bootloader. I tried to root the phone with the system.img file that it mentioned using in the guide it worked at least as far as pushing it to the device but still no root. I then tried to flash the device back to stock I used the sbf file provided and it did wipe the phone but I still have the unlock icon when I boot the phone and can no longer root it no matter what method I try. If anyone can help me with re locking my device, I would greatly appreciate it.

curly9

Sep 29, 2011
Have you tryed the depudding. Go into the pudding unlock section theres one that relocks it just like how u unlocked it

pkomarnicki

Mar 12, 2009
As far as I'm aware, being unlocked and being rooted are two separate processes on this phone. You don't have to have one to have the other. I've been rooted and locked, rooted and unlocked, and unlocked with no root. Hope that helps.

And I haven't had any problems with the one-click root and unlocking or sbf-ing back to stock.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

SNAAAAKEE

Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for the help guys I got it to work now had to do a factory reset and then flash the sbf file and the seemed to unroot the device it still didn't unlock it however I think if I used the depudding method curly mentioned it would work.

joshua.allen128

Dec 17, 2011
photon

I am currently running an "unlocked bootloader" on a non- rooted system on my photon 4g. I was rooted and then unrooted because I couldn't flash cwm for some reason....I am really really looking to installing miui with the ultimate iphone theme. I love how poloshed and clean it looks!