[ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [09/18/2012]

Search This thread

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
its not that I am partial to one or the other. just stating all that ive tried

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

maybe I missed something, but was this bit removed from the process...

Code:
Testing superuser...
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=1003(graphics),1004(input),1007(log),1009(m ount),1011(adb),
1015(sdcard_rw),3001(net_bt_admin),3002(net_bt),30 03(inet),3006(net_bw_stats)

uid and gid should both be 0.
Are they? (y/n):
because I havent seen that once while attempting to root my infinity. I do, however, remember seeing this when rooting my gf's infinity.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

ok, I ran the package located at <REDACTED LINK, not the latest version and no credit given to XDA, root developer, or tool developer>

I get the uid/gid must be 0 dialog using that one, and both are 0. it completed, and stated that I was rooted. again, I am not...or the superuser apk in that one is messed up for me as well.

when I run root checker it says that busybox is not installed and that sudo is not found. I tried to install busybox but it failed. no root. I guess I am done messing with it until something else comes along or I get the urge to continue with this.

I included that link because it is included in the [RESOURCES] thread here in the dev forum...just thought id throw that out there before somebody freaks out. thanks for everyone's help.

I removed that manual process in favor of an automatic check, and as far as the su binary is concerned, you have root, so it is completely on the superuser app side, I'm just not sure what that issue is as I have never seen that issue.

Last edited:
"ok, I ran the package located at <REDACTED LINK, not the latest version and no credit given to XDA, root developer, or tool developer>"

lol I am not going to get into a pissing contest with anyone here but it's ok for the link to be posted with none of the same credits given here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1798586 but I post it and it gets redacted. typical.

also, "I included that link because it is included in the [RESOURCES] thread here in the dev forum...just thought id throw that out there before somebody freaks out. thanks for everyone's help." so yeah, I did give credit to xda, since HERE indicates xda.

Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
"ok, I ran the package located at <REDACTED LINK, not the latest version and no credit given to XDA, root developer, or tool developer>"

lol I am not going to get into a pissing contest with anyone here but it's ok for the link to be posted with none of the same credits given here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1798586 but I post it and it gets redacted. typical.

also, "I included that link because it is included in the [RESOURCES] thread here in the dev forum...just thought id throw that out there before somebody freaks out. thanks for everyone's help." so yeah, I did give credit to xda, since HERE indicates xda.

That was nothing on you and it was not official, I just redacted it in my post because I do not like sites that do not correctly site their source because it makes it harder for users to find updates and help later on.

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
right on. its all good man. so I, in a fit of desperation, unlocked the bootloader. still wont root. I also checked my gf's infinity and it doesnt have root either. so I guess the same thing happened with hers and I just never double checked it. so frutrating.

Sorry for not being able to help, I see the same issue over in one of the other infinity threads as well. I should get my new infinity from BestBuy (through prime trade) in a day or 2 so maybe I can troubleshoot this issue then, if nobody has figured it out by then.

Since you do technically have root, you can always get the unsecured version of su (it lets all apps have root access without prompting) and run the tool again with that version. This would avoid the issue of the app not working properly, but I would not personally go that route as it leaves the device open to a breach.

whoisjlk

Jun 10, 2010
Confusion ?????????

Hello,

I am trying this root method but it just hangs on this screen

Waiting for device to be detected
* daemon not running. Starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

I have ASUS drivers installed, running build number IML74K.US_EPAD-9.4.2.28-20120525.

I am running windows 7 and ADB installed.

USB debugging is enabled.

Connect as MTP checked

Just confused and cant seem to find anyone in the similar situation.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Cheers

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Hello,

I am trying this root method but it just hangs on this screen

Waiting for device to be detected
* daemon not running. Starting it now on port 5037 *

I have ASUS drivers installed, running build number IML74K.US_EPAD-9.4.2.28-20120525.

I am running windows 7 and ADB installed.

USB debugging is enabled.

Connect as MTP checked

Just confused and cant seem to find anyone in the similar situation.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Cheers

Usually this means that the device is not connected properly, since you said USB debugging is set we can rule that piece out. So, that usually leaves the drivers.

2 things you can check; first, run the command, adb devices. Does it show your device in the output?
In windows device manager, do you see your device listed as an adb composite interface?

Sorry for not being able to help, I see the same issue over in one of the other infinity threads as well. I should get my new infinity from BestBuy (through prime trade) in a day or 2 so maybe I can troubleshoot this issue then, if nobody has figured it out by then.

Since you do technically have root, you can always get the unsecured version of su (it lets all apps have root access without prompting) and run the tool again with that version. This would avoid the issue of the app not working properly, but I would not personally go that route as it leaves the device open to a breach.

hey, its cool man. thanks for trying. I am sure at some point someone will come up with why its failing. good luck getting your infinity.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

running build number IML74K.US_EPAD-9.4.2.28-20120525.

hmm x.x.x.28 is out? also, the date on that x.x.x.28 is 5/25. the date on my x.x.x.26 is 7/20. odd?

**EDIT**
sharky, I have tried with 5 different versions of the superuser.apk. from beta 4, through 3.2 rc2. shows no root on each. but again, if I command prompt from your package folder and do adb shell/su it does show #. just remembered to share that.

Last edited:

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
Hey sparkym3, I have a question for you. Here in this post, somebody overcame a timeout issue that was due to "adb wait-for-device" by switching it to "pause". However, I noticed that in your batch file, you use both "pause <CON" and "@pause <CON". Were someone to encounter the same problem as that poster, which do you think would be a good alternative to the "wait-for-device"?

Please note, this is not for you to have to change your script, it is merely for a "list of possible solutions" thread I'm working on.

Hey sparkym3, I have a question for you. Here in this post, somebody overcame a timeout issue that was due to "adb wait-for-device" by switching it to "pause". However, I noticed that in your batch file, you use both "pause <CON" and "@pause <CON". Were someone to encounter the same problem as that poster, which do you think would be a good alternative to the "wait-for-device"?

Please note, this is not for you to have to change your script, it is merely for a "list of possible solutions" thread I'm working on.

LOL alienedd, thank you so very much for bringing that to my attention. just ran everything manually as per burningcf's instructions and I now have root. I have never been a huge adb fan because of all the memory (mind) related stuff, but now I have to say I love it. thanks again.

**EDIT**
Just rooted my girlfriends infinity with the manual procedure and it worked as well. One thing though, for some reason if I update Superuser from within the app things start breaking and some apps cannot get root access. So, I deleted cache and uninstalled Superuser then reinstalled from the Play Store and all is well again. Also, had to install busybox from the Play Store in order for some apps to work properly (Titanium Backup namely).

Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)

There should be no difference between the pause that starts with @ and the one that doesn't (as far as this is concerned), I don't know how both got in there.

The reason that I added <CON to the end was because the script was ignoring the pauses and just continuing anyway (because it already had input stored in the buffer). The <CON just insures that the input is coming from the console (user) instead of some other buffer.

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
LOL alienedd, thank you so very much for bringing that to my attention. just ran everything manually as per burningcf's instructions and I now have root. I have never been a huge adb fan because of all the memory (mind) related stuff, but now I have to say I love it. thanks again.

**EDIT**
Just rooted my girlfriends infinity with the manual procedure and it worked as well. One thing though, for some reason if I update Superuser from within the app things start breaking and some apps cannot get root access. So, I deleted cache and uninstalled Superuser then reinstalled from the Play Store and all is well again. Also, had to install busybox from the Play Store in order for some apps to work properly (Titanium Backup namely).

It is possible that the version that I have packaged with my util has a funny signature. Anybody who is still having this issue can attempt to use this app (made by the creator of the superuser app) to attempt to fix that. I will try and look into if there is a difference between the apk I have and the one that comes from the market tomorrow.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su.fixer&hl=en

phoxy84

Aug 5, 2010
The Hague
The tool does not root my Padfone with ICS 4.0.4 :( (9.20.1.22)

HTML:
Waiting for device to be detected...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

Found system partition at: /dev/block/mmcblk0p21

Step 1 - Pushing files...
failed to copy 'debugfs' to '/data/local//debugfs': Permission denied
failed to copy 'su' to '/data/local//su': Permission denied
failed to copy 'debugfsinput' to '/data/local//debugfsinput': Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Permission denied
link failed File exists

Rebooting...
Once your devices has finished restarting,
Druk op een toets om door te gaan. . .
HTML:
Step 2 - Rooting...
For this step, ignore any error messages that say "File not found"
Unable to chmod /data/local/debugfs: No such file or directory
/system/bin/sh: cannot open /data/local/debugfsinput: No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp, Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp.bak' - No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/su, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/debugfs, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/debugfsinput, No such file or directory

Rebooting...

Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
The tool does not root my Padfone with ICS 4.0.4 :( (9.20.1.22)

HTML:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

Found system partition at: /dev/block/mmcblk0p21

Step 1 - Pushing files...
failed to copy 'debugfs' to '/data/local//debugfs': Permission denied
failed to copy 'su' to '/data/local//su': Permission denied
failed to copy 'debugfsinput' to '/data/local//debugfsinput': Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Permission denied
link failed File exists

Rebooting...
HTML:
Step 2 - Rooting...
For this step, ignore any error messages that say "File not found"
Unable to chmod /data/local/debugfs: No such file or directory
/system/bin/sh: cannot open /data/local/debugfsinput: No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/tmp, Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp.bak' - No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/su, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/debugfs, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/local/debugfsinput, No such file or directory

Rebooting...

This is inevitable, manufactures will start to patch the code to fix this exploit, that is most likely what has happened here.

I have added to the list of unsupported, I don't know if I have missed any other unsupported ones, I may go search tomorrow.

Last edited:

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Ack. I do need root. I'll try to find an older FW then. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Looks like I'm out of luck. After reinstalling an older update (9.18) and resetting factory settings, this application worked.

I then proceeded to install busybox and next titanium backup. Unfortunately, busybox can not install and titanium backup cannot get root access. Rebooted - same problem.

Any advice?

What process did you use to reinstall the older PadFone version (9.18) as it may help the user above.

Last edited:

phoxy84

Aug 5, 2010
The Hague
This is inevitable, manufactures will start to patch the code to fix this exploit, that is most likely what has happened here.

I have added to the list of unsupported, I don't know if I have missed any other unsupported ones, I may go search tomorrow.

Thanks, I saw that I accidentally pasted step 1 two times, now step one and two are correctly pasted, don’t know if it makes any difference in your answer

sparkym3

Dec 31, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7 (2013)
Thanks, I saw that I accidentally pasted step 1 two times, now step one and two are correctly pasted, don’t know if it makes any difference in your answer

Nope, sorry, still the same answer, but based on the previous post that I responded to, maybe that user will be able to tell us how to downgrade the padfone to version 9.18 so that you can root before updating again.

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida

Don't thank me, henbone, thank d14b0ll0s for showing me the link initially.

There should be no difference between the pause that starts with @ and the one that doesn't (as far as this is concerned), I don't know how both got in there.

The reason that I added <CON to the end was because the script was ignoring the pauses and just continuing anyway (because it already had input stored in the buffer). The <CON just insures that the input is coming from the console (user) instead of some other buffer.

Thanks for the feedback and also for the explanation in 2 threads. Very helpful.

drZuheir

Sep 23, 2010
I tried everything but its not working... Drivers perfect and everything chencked.. When i press to debug. It starts then i press enter then another enter... Then it stops.. Like nothing happen ??!!! :(.. When i tried to use the apk.. It said no file to exploid....?????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tool will root your device based on the debugfs root method developed by miloj.

Just download and unzip everything into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory (if you do not currently have the device drivers for your transformer, they are attached to this post, please install them, please use them to install your device before attempting the process).

Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below (though it won't hurt anything if they are).

Helpful tip:
    Make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

It should look familiar since I took PrimeTime and gutted it, only keeping the menu options. Thanks to viperboy for that.
    Original post is in the TF300 thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704209

UPDATE 6/12/2012:
    v1.1 - Added donation link for miloj
    v1.2 - Fixed bug that caused it to stop while doing "debugfs", to cancel press Ctrl+c
    v1.3 - Fixed bug where the id is not returned from the su test
    v1.4 - Fixed bug introduced with v1.3
    v1.5 - Fixed bug where you don't have to push the apk before calling install

6/13/2012
    v1.6 - Fixed messaging (this is a cosmetic change)
    v1.7 - Added a remove call on su prior to rooting for those who had root previously and it not longer works
    v1.8 - Change the octal permissions to be 6755 instead of 4755

7/2/2012
    v1.9 - Update superuser app and binary to the latest version available
    XDA uploads are not working currently so I have uploaded the new version to here for now
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=DC89975E3CE960E5!221

8/5/2012
    v2.0 - Updated to include a kill for Asus sync as that seemed to be the biggest issue.
    I have also made it more generic so that it can root more devices with the same util. This is done by scanning for the system partition automatically, thanks to rightonred for that suggestion. With the attachment labeled "generic" I have removed all asus references and drivers since they were causing issues with me being able to attach the zip to xda. Anybody who needs the drivers can download them from asus or from another xda post.
    v2.1 - Added a pause while waiting for the device to restart to alleviate that nuisance.
    v2.2 - Added message to ignore "File not found" message when trying to delete old su versions. Also updated message with the generic locations of settings on the tablet.

8/12/2012
    v2.3 - Update su binary file (hopefully it may help some of the people with superuser app issues)

ASUS drivers can be downloaded from the ASUS site but some are not provided other than through the sync install. I have extracted out the drivers from that sync install and attached them to this post. These drivers will support most of the Asus Eee Pad family including TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, ME171(MeMO), A66(Padfone), SL101(Slider), and a couple others.

No longer need a PadFone specific root util as the generic one should work for it as well.

Here is a version I put together for the Gallexy SII (but the generic one attached here should work fine)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27611187&postcount=3
    Latest Supported Versions:
    v9.2.1.27 for the TF101 (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.2.2.6 for the TF101G (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.2.28 for the TF201 (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.4.3.30 for the TF300T (ICS 4.0.3)
    v9.4.4.40 for the TF300TG (ICS 4.0.3) (3G version)

v9.4.5.30 for the TF700T (ICS 4.0.3)

v9.18.8.41 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.3)

These are the latest supported versions as far as I know, if I get any further input I will update this post.

Reported UNsupported Versions
    v10.4.2.15 for the TF201 (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.2.9 for the TF300T (JB 4.1.1)
    v10.4.4.16 for the TF700T (JB 4.1.1)
    v9.20.1.22 for the PadFone (ICS 4.0.4)
    I have not been on the forum for a couple days so I will respond to a few things.

Supersu is not required, rootkeeper will work with superuser installed as well.

The best option I have seen for the next root is the google restore exploit, but it has yet to be adjusted for the asus devices.

I will help in any way I see possible to help figure a new root method out, or create a tool that is needed if a manual root method is found. Until then, reverting to ics, rooting, and upgrade seems to be the only route. Though I am vague on the details of that procedure.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    any one confirmed? what's the risk, if it doesnt work?

The risk if it doesn't would should just be that you wouldn't have root.

We already have confirmation that the method works (so there should be no risk there). We just don't have confirmation that I didn't make a typo or other mistake when putting it all together.
    It appears it cannot find "su" in the /system/xbin/ folder. Using Root Browser (free) I have confirmed it *is* there. Wierd date stamp on it tho - 31 June 1969...

There is also a "su" in the /system/bin/ folder. hmmmmm ..... I wonder ....

Can you send me the result of the commands (in adb shell):

ls -l /system/*/su
    echo $PATH

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Having the exact same problem trying manually and with the tool...

Since SU is still installed but root was lost it cannot write the new SU... the old one is a protected system file you can not overwrite or delete....

Until we can find a way to delete(uninstall) previous version of SU no root for us :-(

Oh ok, I see what it is. Let me find a way to solve this quickly.

EDIT: The problem comes from OTA RootKeeper in my opinion, it does a "chattr +i /system/xbin/su" to prevent Asus OTA to overwrite or delete the file.
    Here is the trick to solve it, very simple, insert the command "rm su" before the write command, like this:

debugfs: cd xbin
    debugfs: rm su
    debugfs: write /data/local/su su
    debugfs: set_inode_field su mode 0104755
    debugfs: set_inode_field su uid 0
    debugfs: set_inode_field su gid 0
    debugfs: quit

Will update my OP.