[KITCHEN] Chrome ROM Kitchen | Release and User-To-User Guide | Endless Possibilities

Search This thread

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Chrome ROM WM6.5 Kitchen (Release thread and User-to-user Guide)
• Post 1 - General info (Preface)
Post 2 - Download section
Post 3 - Hints and tips
Post 4 - User submitted guides
Post 5 - Screenshots (slightly outdated, but still give you the general idea)

I wanted to leave a little something before I back out of XDA and WinMo for a while (Lets try not to discuss reasoning at this time). I have uploaded my kitchen, which I have been using for several months now for anyone who likes the Chrome ROM look and feel. I have made it as easy as possible to cook your own ROM without too much thought. There are several builds included as well as a ton of choices to include or exclude.
I am not going to be real technical about this stuff, and am relying on you (the users) to help each other with any minor problems. I have tried to put everything into the simplist terms without misinterpetting. I will be checking in now and again to help where I can, and possibly update some items.
The kitchen is based on (or derived from) Da_G's ErviusKitchen releases, so thanks to him for the original idea and his great thread which has taught me almost everything I needed to know. Also, how can I leave out the other great chefs here and the people on the sidelines whom without I would not have made it so far (TPC, NATF, AtomAng, NRG, Programatix, Shep, Noonski, special thanks to Hilaireg, and anyone I may have overlooked). If you get lost, I would suggest searching either that thread or the new build release thread found here. There is much info there that will help you in your quest to have the best ROM possible.

PREREQUISITES: (Before you begin)

• The kitchen will need approximately 1GB of free storage space after extraction. Best to keep it on the root of your drive to avoid errors, or at least make sure there are no spaces in the title of the containing folders. This can cause some errors with certain executables.

• There is a readme file attatched as well as included in the kitchen for the extraction process and cooking process. The following is a slightly modified excerpt from that README (which you should look at before beginning):
Code:
In order to save yourself from unwanted problems it is best to exclude your kitchen folder from any virus detection software.
It is also recommended that you change folder settings so you can view hidden, system, and all other types of files.
It has been a while since I had to make these changes, so I do not remember exactly how it is done, but here is an example thanks to Endosurf. 
[B]Tools--> Folder options[/B]. Click on the [B]View[/B] Tab. Select [B]Show hidden files and folders[/B]. Unselect [B]Hide Extension[/B]. Unselect [B]hide operating system files[/B]. Then click ok . 
You may also need to turn UAC (User Account Control) off in the control panel. Start --> Run type in msconfig. I think it’s the tools tab has a thing to disable UAC.
All kitchen executables should be run as administrator to avoid errors. Turning off UAC should help to avoid these issues.

• If you have an issue, I suggest first cooking one of the preset ROMs and going from there. It is most likely something that you have added or excluded that is causing you trouble.

• Although I would never charge for my services, a small graditude for my months and months of labor would not hurt ;)

Last edited:

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Downloads

Download Section

There are three files which you will need to download and extract for a working kitchen. Please refer to the README file for instruction.​

Chrome_ROM_Kitchen Main File​

Mirror 1 (MediaFire)

........................................................................................................................................................​

EXT Files

Mirror 1 (Mediafire)

.......................................................................................................................................................​

Mirror 1 (Mediafire)

Last edited:

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Screenshots

Screenshots of previous ROMs​

23030-1-1.png

Last edited:

madnish30

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2009
New Delhi-India.
Thank you.
Reserved for you.

The EXT file is corrupted me and NOEL tried to download 3 times its still corrupt is that fine ?

And i got problems ( running the kitchens and some questions regarding cooking )I'm Noob chef.

Can i talk to you somewhere MSN or PM you if you promise to reply.
etc etc ?
Your guide is very clear but i'm dumb you see.
please help JMC.

School tomorrow its midnight here.
Will check tomorrow.
Please add some more help..
and please tellme how to reach you you can mail me @ nishant.what@gmail.com
thanks.

Last edited:

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
cooked again, it always says error, but rom looks complete ..here is the build log.. any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• build-log.zip
    54.7 KB · Views: 30

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Thank you.
Reserved for you.

The EXT file is corrupted me and NOEL tried to download 3 times its still corrupt is that fine ?

And i got problems ( running the kitchens and some questions regarding cooking )I'm Noob chef.

etc etc ?
please help JMC.

School tomorrow its midnight here.
Will check tomorrow.
Please add some more help..
and please tellme how to reach you you can mail me @ nishant.what@gmail.com
thanks.
PM me, or email jmckeejr@gmail.com. I will doublecheck all download links. Downloading, extracting and will cook one of the presets.
cooked again, it always says error, but rom looks complete ..here is the build log.. any ideas? Thanks

Sorry, is this along the same lines as what you had started to talk about in the ROM thread? Can I have a bit more info, actually I'll put this here so others will know what I need to check things out on my end (a checklist sort of):

• Path to kitchen
• You did exclude from virus software before extracting?
• Which Build?
• Which Preset? Any changes to selected packages?
• ROM boots? Initial configuration Runs? Other issues? Be specific.
• Error in kitchen? Try to write it down.

Thanks for helping to get everything straight so I will feel more confident in having this in the public ;) If there are issues then I would not want many ppl downloading it before I get them resolved.

noellenchris

May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
• Path to kitchen
• You did exclude from virus software before extracting?
• Which Build?
• Which Preset? Any changes to selected packages?
• Error in kitchen? Try to write it down.

Thanks for helping to get everything straight so I will feel more confident in having this in the public ;) If there are issues then I would not want many ppl downloading it before I get them resolved.

• Path to kitchen : Root
• You did exclude from virus software before extracting? Yes
• Which Build? 23518 2.5
• Which Preset? Any changes to selected packages? 23518 2.5 Full a few minor things removed like zip and add rar programs but nothing changed to sense 2.5
Rom boots fine, seems to work great, can't get past 2nd page of windows live when setting up. then after I'm up and running for awhile I get that problem w/all contacts tab freezing manila and when I open a text it reboots manila
• Error in kitchen? Try to write it down. Just says "Error building rom" at the very end

EDIT: REDOWNLOADED THE NON MEDIASHARE FILES, RECOOKED AND WINDOWS LIVE ISSUE IS GONE ALONG WITH CRC ERROR IN THE EXT FILE. SO FAR I HAVEN'T MANAGED TO MESS UP THE ALL CONTACTS FREEZING OR TXT MSG OPENING CAUSING THE REBOOT OF MANILA. WILL REPORT BACK MORE IF I FIND ANYTHING. ALSO STILL GET THE GENERIC ERROR AFTER COOKING...FROM WHAT I REMEMBER , I USED TO GET SOMETHING SIMILAR WHEN I USED TO COOK. BUT MINE WAS CAUSED BY THE THUMBNAIL FILES WHEN VIEWING THE FOLDERS IN MY KITCHEN.. I'LL CHECK THAT ALSO..

Thanks for your help:D

Last edited:

EndoSurf

Dec 20, 2007

etc etc ?
please help JMC.

Without trying to sound like an arsehole...

You really should post your question on the thread, rather then speaking to JMC in a PM..

Why?

Because what you may consider a n00b question may help others down the track as well :) And it isnt fair to burden JMC with supporting everything to do with the ROM. Some of us might have the answer. Some may have a different approach to things that may improve on everyones knowledge and benefits us all :)

I really wish this kitchen was never released... Now I'm going to be tempted to develop a ROM.. And I've really been avoiding this... That's all I need, another time wasting IT thing :D

Better get my propeller hat and coke bottle glasses out of storage :D

noellenchris

May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
• Path to kitchen : Root
• You did exclude from virus software before extracting? Yes
• Which Build? 23518 2.5
• Which Preset? Any changes to selected packages? 23518 2.5 Full a few minor things removed like zip and add rar programs but nothing changed to sense 2.5
Rom boots fine, seems to work great, can't get past 2nd page of windows live when setting up. then after I'm up and running for awhile I get that problem w/all contacts tab freezing manila and when I open a text it reboots manila
• Error in kitchen? Try to write it down. Just says "Error building rom" at the very end about 6 of these ......ERROR!!! Found Module duplicate on Module... how do I tell what modules?

EDIT: REDOWNLOADED THE NON MEDIASHARE FILES, RECOOKED AND WINDOWS LIVE ISSUE IS GONE ALONG WITH CRC ERROR IN THE EXT FILE. SO FAR I HAVEN'T MANAGED TO MESS UP THE ALL CONTACTS FREEZING OR TXT MSG OPENING CAUSING THE REBOOT OF MANILA. WILL REPORT BACK MORE IF I FIND ANYTHING. ALSO STILL GET THE GENERIC ERROR AFTER COOKING...FROM WHAT I REMEMBER , I USED TO GET SOMETHING SIMILAR WHEN I USED TO COOK. BUT MINE WAS CAUSED BY THE THUMBNAIL FILES WHEN VIEWING THE FOLDERS IN MY KITCHEN.. I'LL CHECK THAT ALSO..

Thanks for your help:D

Ok....I installed my apps and it's freezing at the contacts tab of 2.5.....maybe it's the G-Alarm? when it updated, i checked the graphics boost or something like that?...:(

EDIT: NOPE, NOT G-ALARM....UNINSTALLED AND STILL MESSED UP.. I ALSO INSTALLED THE DUSK THEME IT ONLY CHANGES THE TASKBARS THOUGH...? NOPE not them either..

when i change ringtones or notifications it says they are corrupt? Man....long weekend...:(

Installed Apps:
Powerradio
GAlarm
Aloqa
GPSCycleComputer
Bebo
ReRemind updated
Groovefish
CorePlayer
Digicast Snooze Options
ShootMe
OpenMarket
GCzII
1-Calc
Palringo updated
Dusk Bars & tsk Theme
Resco Photo Manager 7.03
SKTools
Skyfire 2.0
APMobile
Viigo
WeatherBug

Last edited:

noellenchris

May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
I have the Ringtone bug.....:(

can't get it to play notifications or ringtones... that's probably causing my other issues.. too

EDIT : FOUND A LOT OF PEOPLE HAD ISSUES W/23518 AND DUSK TASKBAR MODS CAUSING THE ABOVE ISSUE.....TRYING TO UNINSTALL WITH SKTOOLS.. IF THAT DON'T WORK, HARD RESET AND START OVER..:( I DIDN'T CATCH THIS SINCE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALLING THE DUSK CAB....LATER...

EDIT: GRZEGORZ10 suggested I do the following... Not sure what he's saying, but going to try...
"The problem with that always lies in the HTC Volume control.dll you need to extract my 3 icons out of what you using and not working for ring tones. get that dll in it's default state and then put my icons on to that . My ROMs also 23518 and thats what I had to do"

Last edited:

madnish30

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2009
New Delhi-India.
Without trying to sound like an arsehole...

You really should post your question on the thread, rather then speaking to JMC in a PM..

Why?

Because what you may consider a n00b question may help others down the track as well :) And it isnt fair to burden JMC with supporting everything to do with the ROM. Some of us might have the answer. Some may have a different approach to things that may improve on everyones knowledge and benefits us all :)

I really wish this kitchen was never released... Now I'm going to be tempted to develop a ROM.. And I've really been avoiding this... That's all I need, another time wasting IT thing :D

Better get my propeller hat and coke bottle glasses out of storage :D

Ahh yeah i was asking particularly a few people to help me as there was no dedicated thread till 12 hours ago so i was just wonderng that i should not be dirtying the ROM thread with noob questions.

I'm ok i will post all sorts of noob problems i face over here
and no i was not going to burden/stress JMC to answer all my questions on Pm etc etc.

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
Added to WIKI

Added this thread to the Raphael WIKI section - GSM kitchens.

Cheers,

ceesheim

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 11, 2009
No Android Fanboys Please !!!
I have the Ringtone bug.....:(

can't get it to play notifications or ringtones... that's probably causing my other issues.. too

EDIT : FOUND A LOT OF PEOPLE HAD ISSUES W/23518 AND DUSK TASKBAR MODS CAUSING THE ABOVE ISSUE.....TRYING TO UNINSTALL WITH SKTOOLS.. IF THAT DON'T WORK, HARD RESET AND START OVER..:( I DIDN'T CATCH THIS SINCE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER INSTALLING THE DUSK CAB....LATER...

EDIT: GRZEGORZ10 suggested I do the following... Not sure what he's saying, but going to try...
"The problem with that always lies in the HTC Volume control.dll you need to extract my 3 icons out of what you using and not working for ring tones. get that dll in it's default state and then put my icons on to that . My ROMs also 23518 and thats what I had to do"

did you solve the problem ?.

noellenchris

May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
did you solve the problem ?.

Sort of, I haven't installed Dusk taskbars and the ringtones seemed fine, however then I couldn't get to the facebook tab w/manila rebooting.

Hard reset and started over, ringtones work again, but in manila settings it says corrupt ringtones, but I change them fine in wm settings? Then I changed my theme to classic blue, rebooted and it hangs again at the all contacts tab?

On all my builds, the Chrome Theme bottom bar is green. That's why I changed to Classic Blue.

I also scanned the Kitchen for "Thumbs.db" and found like 2 of them. They are created if you look in the folders and there are pic files. I deleted them but still have issues.

After reading I found that ringtone issues are sometimes caused by HTC Volume.dll and changed icons from taskbar themes and 23518. Maybe the Chrome Theme is corrupt? As for the reboot at all contacts, maybe that's related. Thre reboot of manila only seems to happen when all my other issues work...lol

I've turned everything off when cooking. I've cooked a lot of roms previously with Da_G's kitchen and learned the hard way..

I also had an issue w/Windows Live not getting past page 2. But that works fine the last 2 hard resets..

Long story short, the above are the issues i'm having. At this moment it's the "All Contacts" either rebooting manila or freezing manila. Also Opera 9.7 hangs at the white screen pretty much all the time. I tried not cooking in the Leo Opera start stuff, no change..

cooking-23518 SenseUI 2.5 1921

Any ideas JMC? Maybe I'll try not cooking the Custom Chrome theme..?

23016 M2.5 the manila worked perfect....opera was still finicky.. if this info helps..

Last edited:

noellenchris

May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Man, I know I'm going to regret all these post when this thread is thousands deep...lol

Am I the only one cooking terds with the kitchen right now? They are close, just a few issues..:(

Any kind of feedback will help please.:)