FireTV 2 (sloane) Recovery [v6] - 3.0.0-5

Search This thread

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I followed all the steps in version 1 had no luck then I seen the second version you uploaded Rambo ADB connection to my IP address and went from there it seem to find the files that I needed that I put on my SD card but still nothing I was even going down some of the things that other people would have it in the form type those commands in and still nothing can someone give me detail commands to typing in version 2 everytime I reboot I just see Amazon white boot screen and then animation boot screen is there a step im missing I've been trying to do this since you uploaded it is still nothing?:(

From adb shell, after you run su, run this:

ls -l /system/bin/ext4_resize /system/recovery

KainanMaki

Jul 19, 2013
Montevideo
I make no guarantees about that module actually working on FireOS5 or the FireTV2 in general. Once I make the prerooted for 5.0.5 for the FireTV1 i'll look into updating it. But you can try it and see what happens.

Haha don´t worry, it´s obviously a long shot but with recovery working and a backup ready I feel like playing with it.

Also, it´s a good time to thank you for all your amazing work on the Fire TVs.
Takes the FTV to another level.

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Some people early on had issues with adbfire making some changes that broke mount..

I was "some people" who first reported this in your rooting thread. However, mount broke again on a freshly rooted system that adbFire never touched. I mentioned this in your thread, you may have missed it.

KainanMaki

Jul 19, 2013
Montevideo
I make no guarantees about that module actually working on FireOS5 or the FireTV2 in general. Once I make the prerooted for 5.0.5 for the FireTV1 i'll look into updating it. But you can try it and see what happens.

It's alive!!!! Well at least the alternate launcher is the new boss in town.
The function to hide sections from the menu is not working.
The RecentsOnMenuLong Home pressing also doesn't, but the new native options for long pressing do work.
Remapping the button from home to menu would be cool.

But again, it is great news that the alternate launcher is working, it's a world of difference in my opinion for the experience. That alone makes the root so worthy!!

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
What do you mean that mount broke?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've had it occur twice, where a freshly rooted v2 refused to allow /system to be remounted. No clue as to why...the only remedy I found was to re-dd the system partition. Yet another reason why a working recovery is so great. Thanks rbox and zeroepoch!

Last edited:
Reactions: zeroepoch

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
I've had it occur twice, where a freshly rooted v2 refused to allow /system to be remounted. No clue as to why...the only remedy I found was to re-dd the system partition. Yet another reason why a working recovery is so great. Thanks rbox and zeroepoch!

You mean like- I have an Sd card which while I was on 5.0.3.1 rooted I could delete from the Sd card & now I'm on 5.0.4 rooted It won't let me? If that is what you mean how can I fix this? Do I need to DD the system & if so how do I go about that? @jocala

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Is anyone else able to delete files from sd card on 5.0.4 rooted/rom? Or is there something wrong with mine, something to do with rw access to sd?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
will this work with any usb keyboard? I can confirm it doesnt work with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse that plugs into usb lol

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Also, I noticed the rom structure is different than stock android phones.. to createacustom rom would one have to extract the img, modify then repack it?

I essentially want to see what I can remove from the base rom without losing functionality and have another default launcher as well as look into incorporating xposed and/or play store

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
So I understand, steps are as follows:

1) put recovery fileon internal sd card
2) adb connect
3) install recovery via adb
4) reboot?

Theguideon aftvnews.com has a ton more steps im assuming since goimg from complete stock vs. myself whos already rooted and just needs recovery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's finally here! Recovery for the Fire TV 2. This is based off of TWRP and the way versions will work is I will increment the last digit in the version as I make updates. So 3.0.0-1 is my first release based off of 3.0.0. The downloads will be numbered starting at v1, and at the bottom of the post it will explain what is contained within each version.

attachment.php

As usual, this WILL void your warranty and I am NOT responsible for anything you do with this. Installing it properly won't brick your Fire TV, but doing stupid things with it might.

Installing this requires root. If you are not rooted, please see my FireTV 2 Recovery Installer page.

Installation
    1. You can copy the files to /sdcard, a USB storage device, or an sdcard. I will be using /sdcard in the instructions, but you can replace it with /storage/usbotg for USB or /storage/sdcard1 for an sdcard.
    2. Copy the zip file to your destination.
    3. Connect adb
      Code:
      adb connect IPADDRESS
    4. Open an adb shell
      Code:
      adb shell
    5. Run the zip file (replace vX with the actual version you downloaded). This will automatically run su, so make sure to accept the prompt if necessary.
      Code:
      sh /sdcard/firetv2_recovery_vX.zip
    6. Reboot

Upgrade
    You may repeat this to upgrade to a newer version, or you can install an updated pre-rooted rom, as I will be uploading new versions of those with every version of recovery.

Notes
    This includes bootmenu. For everyone that loved the old FireTV 1 bootmenu with Comic Sans, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the Comic Sans is gone. When the FireTV boots, it will present you with the bootmenu where you can leave it alone and it will boot normally or you can select recovery and it will boot in to recovery. You do need a USB keyboard to interact with the bootmenu. To force it to boot in to Recovery, you can create a file /cache/bootmenu_recovery.

DHCP for Ethernet is enabled, and if there is enough demand I may add in wifi at some point. The IP address should show up in the top left corner.

USB storage, USB keyboard/mice, and sdcards should all work. Hotplugging works, so you should be able to plug and unplug devices as needed.

You can use a USB keyboard, mouse, or the mouse emulator to interact with it. To use a keyboard, you can use the arrow keys to move the cursor and the enter key to select buttons. Sliders don't require sliding, so you can just hit enter/click on them. To use the mouse emulator, use adb shell and then run the program mouse and follow the instructions.

ROMs
    Recovery must be included in all ROMs. If you want to develop a ROM, please contact me about including recovery in it.

Kernels
    The bootloader is locked and you cannot flash kernels. If you do attempt to flash a kernel, you will brick it.

Installing zips
    You can push zips to /sdcard, put it on a USB storage, put it on an sdcard, or use adb sideload. Do note you need adb version 1.0.32 to use adb sideload.

Stuck in a loop?
    If you cannot boot normally and keep going back to the bootmenu, wipe Cache from Wipe -> Advanced Wipe.
    If that doesn't work, ensure Cache is not mounted from in the 'Mount' menu and run this from an adb shell:
    Code:
    mke2fs /dev/block/platform/mtk-msdc.0/by-name/cache

Source Code
    You can find the source code here:
    https://github.com/androidrbox/sloane-2ndinit
    https://github.com/androidrbox/android_bootable_recovery

WARNINGS

• It is extremely important you never reboot after a failure. This will most likely lead to a brick. If recovery is hung, you can use adb shell to run
      Code:
      killall recovery
      to restart it
    • It is also extremely important to never reboot after wiping /system.
    • If you wind up bricking, you must use the Unbrick Image to unbrick.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has donated to me and those that helped to get me my FireTV 2.

Changelog and Downloads:
    • April 8, 2016 - v6 (md5sum: 79c1a3efbac86618fa2cdbb4901fbd77)
      • This should prevent auto flashing amazon updates.
      • This includes 2ndinit version dee776 and TWRP version 3.0.0-5.
    • February 14, 2016 - v5 (md5sum: 16c957c86f1f61160e14a55819610707)
      • This should fix the problems certain keyboard were having in recovery.
      • This includes 2ndinit version dee776 and TWRP version 3.0.0-4.
    • February 12, 2016 - v4 (md5sum: 15c6d375607839cac4b186a2b68b8b0d)
      • This includes 2ndinit version 743aa4 and TWRP version 3.0.0-3.
        • These are just changes related to the unbricking image. No other functional changes.
    • February 8, 2016 - v3 (md5sum: b39a4dbe0c19080a97f602f37fda63ec)
      • This includes an updated script. You can now just run the zip instead of needing the zip and the script.
      • This includes TWRP 3.0.0-2.
        • Added a reboot recovery option in addition to reboot system. Now reboot system will reboot straight in to Android. Reboot recovery will reboot to the bootmenu.
        • Fixed restoring backups.
      • This includes the same version of 2ndinit.
    • February 7, 2016 - v2 (md5sum: 762621104d158d7ce4010bea725f7181)
      • This includes an automated script.
      • This has the same versions of 2ndinit and recovery as v1.
    • February 6, 2016 - v1 (md5sum: 7be673dd24489080eacdd0ad00feda51)
      • This comes with 2ndinit version fe3362 and recovery version 3.0.0-1
    I just updated the OP with v6/3.0.0-5. This blocks TWRP from auto installing Amazon updates.
    I added v3 to the OP. Now you only need to copy the zip file whole and just run it. Additionally, I updated TWRP to 3.0.0-2. The changes are listed in the OP.
    Hi, @rbox - FYI, I think that the posted v6 ZIP file is corrupt in some way. When I tried to unzip it using 7Zip, I always see the following error:

The posted v6 ZIP file did pass the MD5 check on my PC, so I don't think it is corrupted - It may have been an error in the ZIP file creation (maybe a file was still open when created?). There are 3 files that are extracted with 7Zip.

The files also do extract using the Windows 7 Explorer OK, but I wouldn't expect Win7 to be very expressive if there was a lower-level error during the extraction process.

Also, the 3 extracted files are binary identical between the 7Zip extraction and the Win7 extraction.

Just letting you know,

¿GJ?

Depending on the quality of the program you're using, and how it follows the zip standard, determines if it believes the zip is corrupt. I don't really know if according to the standard it is or not, but most programs will extract it. I do know some program on mac will refuse to unzip it. It actually consists of a shell script, followed by an unzip binary, followed by the actual zip file. And, looking at your screenshot, your program is just warning you that there is an offset. It's not an error per se, and having an offset is perfectly valid, because I'm using a standard method of "fixing" the zip to apply the offset.
    I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it in the thread. Was this updated to the same 3.0.0-7 that we have for the FireTV 1, or is it an insignificant change?

The changes from 5 to 7 don't matter for sloane. In theory I should rebuild all 3 devices with the same version, but I haven't really had a need.