Can't get into TWRP Recovery

Search This thread

jae2014

Apr 16, 2014
So I was on my TWRP recovery and I wiped Dalvik cache and all the other things that I was able to wipe while I was on the TWRP recovery and now my phone won't boot up. It is stuck on the white screen that says, "htc powered by android"

I assume that I probably wiped the os and everything. I can't get access to the TWRP recovery now what do I do?

grneyez

Sep 3, 2009
Hold power, vol up, and vol down. Try that, if that does not work try holding the power button down till the phone shuts off, they hold power button and vol down this should get you into recovery.

Reactions: jae2014

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Hold power, vol up, and vol down. Try that, if that does not work try holding the power button down till the phone shuts off, they hold power button and vol down this should get you into recovery.

Power button + vol down is the button combo for bootloader, not recovery. Bootloader and recovery completely different things, so its important not the confuse them.

Power + vol up will restart the phone (similar to a battery pull on phones with a use accessible battery).

Power+ vol up and vol down is not any button combination for this phone I am familiar with.

Its not clear whether the OP is having trouble accessing bootloader; or if he can access bootloader but not recovery. Again, these are 2 very different issues. You are right, in that failure to access bootloader is almost always a matter of user error in not performing the button combo correctly. If the phone is stuck on the boot splash (which is what it sounds like) the correct sequence would be:

1) Hold power + vol up until the phone reboots.
2) The moment the screen goes black, but before the boot splash screen, let go of the vol up, and press vol down
3) Do not let go of vol down until the bootloader screen appears

Failure to get into bootloader is usually because either the user started pressing vol down to late; or let go of it too early. As long as the screen comes on, bootloader is virtually always accessible.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

So I was on my TWRP recovery and I wiped Dalvik cache and all the other things that I was able to wipe while I was on the TWRP recovery and now my phone won't boot up. It is stuck on the white screen that says, "htc powered by android"

I assume that I probably wiped the os and everything.

Of course the phone won't boot. If you wiped /system, the OS is wiped.

If you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be wiping it.

Some folks like to wipe /system before they flash a new ROM for the sake of being thorough, but technically this is not necessary. Flashing a ROM always wipes /system.

But it doesn't sound like you were flashing a ROM. What were you trying to do, and why were you wiping things?

My advice would be to access bootloader as described above, then select recovery. Alternately, use adb to reboot into recovery:

adb reboot recovery

If you still can't get into recovery with either the adb command or from bootloader, its likely that recovery was somehow damaged or otherwise not accessible. Use fastboot to flash it again (boot into bootloader, select fastboot mode):

fastboot erase cache

fastboot flash recovery "filename.img"

(where "filename.img" is the actual name of the desired the recovery file with no quotes, placed in your fastboot folder on your computer)

Once recovery is working again, either restore your nandroid or flash the stock rooted or custom ROM of your choice.

Last edited:

jae2014

Apr 16, 2014
Power button + vol down is the button combo for bootloader, not recovery. Bootloader and recovery completely different things, so its important not the confuse them.

Power + vol up will restart the phone (similar to a battery pull on phones with a use accessible battery).

Power+ vol up and vol down is not any button combination for this phone I am familiar with.

Its not clear whether the OP is having trouble accessing bootloader; or if he can access bootloader but not recovery. Again, these are 2 very different issues. You are right, in that failure to access bootloader is almost always a matter of user error in not performing the button combo correctly. If the phone is stuck on the boot splash (which is what it sounds like) the correct sequence would be:

2) The moment the screen goes black, but before the boot splash screen, let go of the vol up, and press vol down

Failure to get into bootloader is usually because either the user started pressing vol down to late; or let go of it too early. As long as the screen comes on, bootloader is virtually always accessible.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Some folks like to wipe /system before they flash a new ROM for the sake of being thorough, but technically this is not necessary. Flashing a ROM always wipes /system.

But it doesn't sound like you were flashing a ROM. What were you trying to do, and why were you wiping things?

My advice would be to access bootloader as described above, then select recovery. Alternately, use adb to reboot into recovery:

adb reboot recovery

If you still can't get into recovery with either the adb command or from bootloader, its likely that recovery was somehow damaged or otherwise not accessible. Use fastboot to flash it again (boot into bootloader, select fastboot mode):

fastboot erase cache

(where "filename.img" is the actual name of the desired the recovery file with no quotes, placed in your fastboot folder on your computer)

Once recovery is working again, either restore your nandroid or flash the stock rooted or custom ROM of your choice.

I appreciate your response I'm not even sure what it is that I did wrong. I was just kind of messing around and clicking things. I've learned my lesson the hard way. lol Anyways, I managed to flash the viper one rom somehow lol and now everything is ok.

PunkUnity

Dec 1, 2012
Camarillo
I am having the same issues. but wiping the recovery cache and all that is mentioned does not work. I flash newest and or oldest twrp via fastboot commands and nothing works. It gets stuck on the white screen with the pink letters for rebooting to recovery, then after a while it just reboots the phone into the OS.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I am having the same issues. but wiping the recovery cache and all that is mentioned does not work. I flash newest and or oldest twrp via fastboot commands and nothing works. It gets stuck on the white screen with the pink letters for rebooting to recovery, then after a while it just reboots the phone into the OS.

What hboot?

Reactions: PunkUnity

PunkUnity

Dec 1, 2012
Camarillo
Hboot-3.19.0.000
os-4.28.502.1
att
s-off
supercid
twrp
root

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I got TWRP working but the real issue is no cell service or data. Benn going on for a while now. I RUU to stock flashed 3.16 and then back to 4.28. Then root etc again. Nothing fixes it. Got a new sim card as well.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Hboot-3.19.0.000
os-4.28.502.1
att
s-off
supercid
twrp
root

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I got TWRP working but the real issue is no cell service or data. Benn going on for a while now. I RUU to stock flashed 3.16 and then back to 4.28. Then root etc again. Nothing fixes it. Got a new sim card as well.

You're talking about a completely different issue now, and not enough details and specifics.

Are you on AT&T?

How long is "a while", is it a year, a month, a week?

Did you change anything (new ROM, etc.) that may have stopped cell service from working; or did it just start happening spontaneously?

Does the SIM work properly on another phone (if available)? Did you try a different SIM (your provider's store might be able to help with that).

No service at all, not even emergency calls possible?

Basinc

Dec 28, 2016
Hello Guys,
I have an issue with TWRP recovery. I can't enter in TWRP from bootloader. I have installed ViperOneM8 5.0.1. and used now for more then one year. I also notice that my battery last just for 8 hours and I think it should help to clean my phone. When I decide to clean my phone I try to enter in recovery and when I chose an option recovery in bootloader it is trying to enter but then it goes back to bootloader. I also try to install new TWRP recovery via usb cable (ADB) and issue stay the same. In the past I enter in TWRP recovery with out any problems. Can somebody help regarding this issue?
Thank you and BR...

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I try to enter in recovery and when I chose an option recovery in bootloader it is trying to enter but then it goes back to bootloader. I also try to install new TWRP recovery via usb cable (ADB) and issue stay the same.

What are the specific results when you flash TWRP? Any error messages? Or does it say successful?

What version TWRP did you try? Saying "new" is not enough. I've often seen folks say they used "new" or "latest" and when prompted for a version number, it turns out the version is 2 years old.

What firmware (OS number on bootloader screen)?

Also, try fastboot erase cache, and try to flash TWRP again.

Reactions: Basinc

Basinc

Dec 28, 2016
What are the specific results when you flash TWRP? Any error messages? Or does it say successful?

What version TWRP did you try? Saying "new" is not enough. I've often seen folks say they used "new" or "latest" and when prompted for a version number, it turns out the version is 2 years old.

When I flash TWRP it say successful. I also try to flash it with TWRP manager.
I try to flash version 2.8.7.0. When I saw I couldn't enter in TWRP, then I also try with TWRP manager and try to flash version 3.0.2.0. But again no luck.
OS number is 4.16.401.13

I try to fastboot erase cache, but when I select fastboot I have no option erase cache in bootloader. Only Hboot, Ramdump, reboot, reboot fastboot & power down.
Do you have any new hints for me and thank you for your time...
BR,
Basinc.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I try to flash version 2.8.7.0. When I saw I couldn't enter in TWRP, then I also try with TWRP manager and try to flash version 3.0.2.0. But again no luck.
OS number is 4.16.401.13

I'd stick with flashing by fastboot command. Apps like TWRP Manager just add a layer of needless complication. Something more to go wrong.

Both those TWRP versions should be okay, I think. But for your OS number, I'd be inclined to stick with 2.8.7.0

I try to fastboot erase cache, but when I select fastboot I have no option erase cache in bootloader. Only Hboot, Ramdump, reboot, reboot fastboot & power down.

Its not a bootloader option on the phone, its a fastboot command you issue on your computer, like the one you used to flash TWRP. Connect the phone to PC, boot phone to bootloader-fastboot mode. Then in command prompt:

fastboot erase cache

Then try to flash TWRP 2.8.7 again, and see if you can them boot into TWRP.

Reactions: Basinc

Basinc

Dec 28, 2016
Hi Redpoint,
I try to erase cache via usb cable like I would flash recovery. In cmd cache was erased successfully. I also flash recovery successfully in cmd, but then I can't enter in recovery from bootloader. When I chose option recovery I go back to bootloader. The same as before. Do you have any other hint for this problem?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Do you have any other hint for this problem?

Hmm, not sure what the problem might be. All I can think of is relock the bootloader (not needed if s-off) and RUU back to full stock image (basically, "start from scratch"), then try to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP again.

For that matter, you can RUU up to Marshmallow (MM) firmware, to get everything up to date. Although you will need to flash the MM firmware first, then MM RUU as described in the red text under RUUs section of my Index thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751432

Also, keep in mind that RUU will wipe all data on the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I assume that I probably wiped the os and everything.

adb reboot recovery

fastboot erase cache

What hboot?
    I try to enter in recovery and when I chose an option recovery in bootloader it is trying to enter but then it goes back to bootloader. I also try to install new TWRP recovery via usb cable (ADB) and issue stay the same.

OS number is 4.16.401.13

I'd stick with flashing by fastboot command. Apps like TWRP Manager just add a layer of needless complication. Something more to go wrong.

Both those TWRP versions should be okay, I think. But for your OS number, I'd be inclined to stick with 2.8.7.0

Its not a bootloader option on the phone, its a fastboot command you issue on your computer, like the one you used to flash TWRP. Connect the phone to PC, boot phone to bootloader-fastboot mode. Then in command prompt:

fastboot erase cache

Then try to flash TWRP 2.8.7 again, and see if you can them boot into TWRP.