ADB.exe

Search This thread

paulckruger

Dec 15, 2011
NE Florida
www.paulckruger.com
As already stated, it is not installed with the SDK by default. In the tools folder there's a text file called "adb_has_moved.txt" which tells you that you need to launch the SDK and install "Android SDK Platform-tools" to get it. Like chrisz5z said.

It showed the tools to be installed but after I just did a new update that file now appears under /platform-tools

I guess for some reason the original install of the tools did not complete yet still indicated in the SDK that it was installed.

Thanks.

gaeilgeganeagla

Feb 19, 2011
Dublin
hey was wondering if anyone can help me
i cant seem to get adb to work on my DHD i have the latest sdk and evrything done and downloaded. debugging is on aswell and im running ics 9.6 lords build and his kernel 8.8b1. im on mac btw and when i open terminal i type in adb devices and the daemon starts and then it doesnt show my device listed yet it works with fastboot everytime
thanks if you can help

thadican

May 11, 2011
adb and fastboot tools

I do believe your correct.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/

If you don't see this directory in your SDK,
launch the SDK and AVD Manager (execute the android tool)
and install "Android SDK Platform-tools"

Please also update your PATH environment variable to
include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can
execute adb from any location.

glenedwards33

Dec 21, 2009
Platform Tools missing too

Hi, Guys

I've been trying to install this and came across something weird that may help someone later on.

As the OP stated, adb.exe is "missing". I can confirm that the issue is definitely that you must download Platform Tools from within the SDK Manager. I tried to fetch all repos but found nothing, if this happens to you, you may be running a proxy (like my office does).

Make sure to set up the proxy rules in SDK Manager. This can be found under Tools > Options

Hope this helps.

- twitch

theeloff

Mar 23, 2013
Hi, Guys

I've been trying to install this and came across something weird that may help someone later on.

As the OP stated, adb.exe is "missing". I can confirm that the issue is definitely that you must download Platform Tools from within the SDK Manager. I tried to fetch all repos but found nothing, if this happens to you, you may be running a proxy (like my office does).

Make sure to set up the proxy rules in SDK Manager. This can be found under Tools > Options

Hope this helps.

- twitch

I cannot get the SDK Manager to run. It opens up and closes?

Deviant Ollam

Sep 24, 2010
Philadelphia
deviating.net
this is utterly annoying. some of us just want or need to grab the ADB executable for a brief moment, often while working on someone else's phone and on someone else's computer.

i for one don't WANT to install the whole huge SDK, run it, create all those extra steps and dirs, etc... just to grab one goddamn executable that is a few megs in size. is there NO repository anywhere for JUST new versions of ADB.exe ??

it's like Android devs started saying to one another "oh my, it seems that the hoi polloi masses are finding ways to hack and mod their android devices, but this sort of thing should really be the prerogative of us learned few... let's make ADB harder to get!"

i mean, what other purpose does it serve to remove ADB.exe from the standard SDK that you can just extract and then throw away?

Adolflow

Sep 8, 2009
Montreal
this is utterly annoying. some of us just want or need to grab the ADB executable for a brief moment, often while working on someone else's phone and on someone else's computer.

i for one don't WANT to install the whole huge SDK, run it, create all those extra steps and dirs, etc... just to grab one goddamn executable that is a few megs in size. is there NO repository anywhere for JUST new versions of ADB.exe ??

it's like Android devs started saying to one another "oh my, it seems that the hoi polloi masses are finding ways to hack and mod their android devices, but this sort of thing should really be the prerogative of us learned few... let's make ADB harder to get!"

i mean, what other purpose does it serve to remove ADB.exe from the standard SDK that you can just extract and then throw away?

Did you ever find the latest ADB.exe?

Tin_Man_0

Aug 23, 2015
Sorry for the noob question but when I download the latests SDK there is no ADB.exe file in the tools directory anymore.

How do I start ADB with the latest SDK release?

I can't believe this is the top search result for adb.exe and it's taken this long to get to a simple answer. Most of us really don't want a full studio install just to have to download some more platform tools to get to an tiny little exe file. I'm surprised google didn't just say "here, take your damn adb.exe file download and stop hogging all my bandwidth for nothing"..... well it turns out they did, you just had to look a little harder.

https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools#downloads

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have that folder.

If I download the SDK (zip) from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html adb.exe is not in it..

Is that the same for you guys?
    Looks like it's all change since the version I downloaded when I got my Hero last year.

Taken from the SDK Readme in the latest SDK download, confirming what has been said above:

Welcome to the Android SDK!

The Android SDK archive now only contains the tools. It no longer comes
    populated with a specific Android platform or Google add-on. Instead you
    use the SDK Manager to install or update SDK components such as platforms,
    tools, add-ons, and documentation.

In order to start developing applications, you must install at least one
    version of the Android platform using the SDK Manager.

This requires an Internet connection, so if you plan to use the SDK
    offline, please make sure to download the necessary components while online.

To start the SDK Manager, please execute the program "SDK Setup.exe".

From the command-line you can also directly trigger an update by
    executing:
    tools\android.bat update sdk

For more information, please consult the Android web site at
    http://developer.android.com