Battery Life

Search This thread

Basil3

Inactive Recognized Themer
Apr 4, 2008
Dublin
Well this is interesting so far....almost 4 hours in, and I'm still at 80%. I haven't been using the phone as much as yesterday, but WiFi is on, I've been sending emails etc and have been on a phone call for more than half an hour.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

eozen81

Oct 4, 2010
Istanbul
Well this is interesting so far....almost 4 hours in, and I'm still at 80%. I haven't been using the phone as much as yesterday, but WiFi is on, I've been sending emails etc and have been on a phone call for more than half an hour.

So your DHD is developing I guess :D

Basil3

Apr 4, 2008
Dublin
=) Update your first post then! Because all new users wil read only it in this topic and start turning over to some blasphemous iP4 or SGS <_<

Well the point of this thread was to see what sort of life other people were getting. As it stands I'm 5 hours in, and battery at 70%. On a normal day, this would be battery down to 70% by 10:30am. My hero had no problems lasting from 5:30am through to 10:30pm....

eozen81

Oct 4, 2010
Istanbul
Well the point of this thread was to see what sort of life other people were getting. As it stands I'm 5 hours in, and battery at 70%. On a normal day, this would be battery down to 70% by 10:30am. My hero had no problems lasting from 5:30am through to 10:30pm....

Thanks for details but please do not use spesific clocs (prefer xx hours passed) because there are many users whose daylight settings are different due to timezone :D

jiidaineko

Oct 18, 2010
good to hear that the batt life is somehow improving ... im beginning to see some light! it would great if we have several more testimonial lol

appreciate the effort.

deli_gt

Feb 5, 2007
No hammering. Surfing web playing angrybirds watching youtube an xiialive online radio.
And the time 2-3 hour i got from battery settings where it tells usage times there is Screen on section. And that section is main usage while screen on after full charge if no reboots.
It's same or bit better than hd2 with android running from sd.
And hd2 has same battery as dhd.

Wafster

Aug 17, 2010
Dubai
Between Amazon, the sensor problem and this thread I am getting gutted. The Desire was my dream phone and when I final can afford to buy one the DHD came out so I pre-ordered it. Now after the release day fiasco then the continues drama of the sensor error and the potential crappy battery this phone is looking less appealing every day. I think I might just go and buy the Desire

Basil3

Apr 4, 2008
Dublin
Between Amazon, the sensor problem and this thread I am getting gutted. The Desire was my dream phone and when I final can afford to buy one the DHD came out so I pre-ordered it. Now after the release day fiasco then the continues drama of the sensor error and the potential crappy battery this phone is looking less appealing every day. I think I might just go and buy the Desire

It's not all that bad. I don't have the proximity sensor problem. I'm now on my 4th battery cycle and I've got about 40% battery left after 10 hours. I'll update the original post when I get home tonight.

betelgeuse74

Jun 26, 2009

My thoughts exactly, except I think I will prolong the life of my Magic until a device arrives that ticks all my boxes. On paper, the Desire HD was pretty close, but the poor battery performance seems like the last nail in the coffin for me.

berek9999

May 25, 2010

I'd just say don't base your buying decisions on one person's experience - there are plenty of other people who are getting much better battery life. Maybe he's got a faulty battery, you just don't know.

Otterjasie

Oct 16, 2010
My battery has only gone through 2 cycles and on the 2nd cycle it's now on 7% after almost 5 hours but it has been heavily used.

Will charge it in a bit when it turns off and will try to do normal use during the next cycle....it's just so difficult to put the phone down!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys, This has been a busy Thread the last few days and most people are going on about Calibrating the battery when they haven't even checked the usage.

The usage should be checked esp as there is a bug in the HTC Sense, it keeps the phone in awake mode when it should be sleeping. The screen stays black ect and you can check your phone by:

Open up the phone dialer:
    type *#*#4636#*#*
    Then select battery history: It should say running 20% or less if it is sleeping ok,
    Note this is since last unplugged, so select since last boot if you just unplugged.

5% usage is my ultimate goal.

you then Select "Partial Wake Usage" to see what has been running when awake, and if one has a high amount then that has been keeping your phone awake !!!

HTC Sense is keeping my phone and other awake and we find that if you goto sync setting and turn off sync for HTC Sense, HTC hub and Facebook for HTC then we get BLOODY GOOD BATTERY LIFE. Now to figure out which bit is causing the drain ??
    This is from the WMLonglife thread and written by Chainfire!

This was for an WM app, but is still relavant for Android (Juicedefender)

Regarding G/3G battery usage:

Is this guaranteed to save battery?
    No, it is not. If it will or will not save battery is dependent on your configuration of WMLongLife, your 'average' network conditions, your radio, and usage. The default WMLongLife configuration will give you (also depending on those other factors) a nice average between least and maximum savings while trying to be not too annoying. Radio firmware is very tricky, and results vary all across the board. It is likely there is a radio thread for your specific device, if you are comfortable with flashing devices, flashing a different radio may give you better (or worse) connectivity and battery life. How your usage effects all this should be obvious: if all you do with your phone is watch YouTube until the battery goes flat, WMLongLife will not help you [at all]. If you pretty much use at as a phone with additional email and some browsing / Google Maps here and there, you may definitely see benefits. It all depends.

Now let's get to the most interesting part: network conditions. 3G [at least in theory] uses less battery than 2G under ideal conditions. However, these ideal conditions are hardly ever reached. A lot of battery is spent finding a decent/better 3G signal to use instead of 2G - and I mean a lot. If 3G is few-bars or just an unreliable signal in your area, your device will not just use a lot, it will use massive amounts of battery trying to get a [better] 3G signal. Aside from that, if the conditions are less than ideal, 2G may use less power than 3G. As an example, I am personally in an area with excellent 3G coverage (5 out of 5 bars of HSDPA) and my device still lasts nearly twice as long on a single charge with WMLongLife running. Your mileage may vary, of course. While it is completely possible that it may not make a relevant difference in your case, I would say there will be many people who this does make a difference for. This is also the reason you will see many people advising in "battery saving" threads to disable 3G and attesting to how much battery it saves for them, and others will always respond that it doesn't make a difference [for them].

Having an idle(!) data connection should theoretically not make a difference with power usage, you have the connection anyway, it's just a question about whether you have an IP or not. However, some background applications (inside services mostly) will initiate data transfers if (and only if) a data connection is already up. So if you have an idle data connection, these applications would start using data, while if you did not have a data connection (connected), they would not.
    In my experience the most important factors regarding battery life are:

*Wait a few cycles for the battery to condition itself! Don't ***** over battery life the first few days.

*Remember that when you recieve your new toy you'r spending a lot more time on it than a few weeks later. You will get bored of playing Angry Birds!

*Usage Type: If you're constantly playing games and watching videos don't be surprised your battery doesn't last that long!

*The ROM:

The stock ROM with the default settings HTC provides us with is build for Speed and Eyecandy for the best possible first impression! It's all about selling the phone (to you and your friend who has an Iphone) It is not set for maximizing battery life. The data connection is on always on 3G. The Connection is always open. There a million apps and services always syncing, sending background data etc. Fancy animations all over the place. Etc Etc. These things suck the battery dry!

We will get much better ROMS!

*The Radio:

The radio balances things like Cell signal strength/ GPS/ WIFI/battery life!
    Different radios can make a huge difference in battery life and reception.

We will get other/better radio's!

*Data Connection On/OFF: See my post above

*3G/G: idem

*Screen brightness: MAJOR FACTOR, Especially on our big screens, use automatic brightness! For me the lowest automatic brightness is still to bright in the dark. Using a custom brightness logic in WM (Lumos) saved me lots of battery. Still looking for an app in adroid that performs this function! Anyone?

*GPS: Uses lots of battery, but only active when using an App that uses GPS (you can check the notification bar for the icon to appear). So you can leave it on! Very nice of Android.

*Wifi: Uses lots of battery! Have to do some reading on that to be more specific :rolleyes: to be continued!

If I get really bored during my attempts to learn morse code, I'll try to get some solid data from the battery logs!
    Guys I just 'found' this elsewhere on tinternet:

"Two things which you can check to see whats using your battery:
    As above in the Battery usage section, identify what is using your battery. I'm still struggling to understand why Cell Standby and Phone Idle use 35-40% each, but my battery tends to last me through the day.
    Secondly, go into the dialer, and type *#*#4636#*#*, and don't press call. The Testing Menu should display. Click Battery History and then change the first drop down to 'Partial Wake Usage'. This will list applications that may be causing the phone to use more battery power than expected when it is meant to be 'sleeping'. See if anything really stands out.
    "
    Since the 2.3 update my battery has been poor. IT shows 30% drain from Android System alone. any ideas?

If you haven't done a factory reset then you should try that. Solved many a people's issues after updating. If you have done that then it's probably a rouge app. The best way to check is uninstall each app one by one to see if the Android System goes back to normal.