No data or voice, shows ! in icon

Search This thread

midwestkel

Aug 23, 2007
This last week at work I started noticing that my data and voice would drop off and I would get the icon showing half signal but would have an ! In the icon. When I look at the Sim status it shows I'm connected but I'm not. After rebooting the phone I will have 4G service for about 20 minutes then it drops off again.

I have Tmo and contacted support and they told me to reset the APN but that didn't help.

The only thing that looks new on my phone is a recent app called Google Connectivity Service.

Other people at work on Tmo are not experiencing this issue but they are on Kit Kat still. I don't have this issue at home, I get full LTE there.

EDIT:
This is still broken as of 05/20/2015 -- Possible workarounds can be found here (thanks TaintedByte).

Last edited:
Reactions: rayraycarter4

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
I have this same issue but it's only at home. I think it's just due to poor service when I'm in my house or I have to many towers to connect to..... It switches from no data to E,3g,H,H+ constantly while I'm just sitting on the couch. But I also get ! Frequently

midwestkel

Aug 23, 2007
I would think it was poor reception but this a recent thing for me. Before this week I haven't had this issue and others in my office have full 4G signals.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
OMG. I have the EXACT same problem. I just switched to TMobile and got the nexus 6 on the 13th. Everything was "fine" at my work. I'd be stuck on 3G most of the time, but it never failed me. Then starting this week, it's been dropping signal like crazy, getting the !. It's defintely due to a weak signal, but I don't know why it was fine for 3 weeks, and then all of a sudden started having problems.

Reactions: rayraycarter4

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
I was trying to fix it by forcing it to 3G, but my phone likes to try to switch to HSPA when I set it to 3G and that one is pretty weak too. If there was a way to force it to 3g without hspa, I think i'd be fine. I just tried forcing it to 2G and I get a pretty strong EDGE signal. It'll be slow as balls, but I'll see if that fixes it. Unfortunately the area I live in isn't going to get band 12 for quite a while, if ever. It's one of those major cities that have an exception on it for a TV station that still exists.

jbdan

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta
I was trying to fix it by forcing it to 3G, but my phone likes to try to switch to HSPA when I set it to 3G and that one is pretty weak too. If there was a way to force it to 3g without hspa, I think i'd be fine. I just tried forcing it to 2G and I get a pretty strong EDGE signal. It'll be slow as balls, but I'll see if that fixes it. Unfortunately the area I live in isn't going to get band 12 for quite a while, if ever. It's one of those major cities that have an exception on it for a TV station that still exists.

3G is HSPA/+. On Tmo anyway. When in 3G mode it will display 3G (also known as UMTS) when data is idle and will display HSPA or HSPA+ when data is active.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
3G is HSPA/+. On Tmo anyway. When in 3G mode it will display 3G (also known as UMTS) when data is idle and will display HSPA or HSPA+ when data is active.

Well that's weird, because sometimes I'll see 3G shown while data is active and I see differnet levels for 3G vs H on the icon. But it looks like I have a pretty strong H right now. Maybe I'll have good luck this afternoon.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I take it back. Sometimes the icon will get "stuck" and show a great signal but no connection.

G

GuestK0087

Have you guys tried turning off enhanced LTE in carrier settings?

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011

I just did. And eventually it died. It seems like if I leave it on the preference of LTE, then I get the exclamation point. If I force it to be 3g only, then I get the situation where the icon claims it's 3G, and the signal looks good, but I have no service.

mnsportsguy1978

Oct 31, 2010
This last week at work I started noticing that my data and voice would drop off and I would get the icon showing half signal but would have an ! In the icon. When I look at the Sim status it shows I'm connected but I'm not. After rebooting the phone I will have 4G service for about 20 minutes then it drops off again.

I have Tmo and contacted support and they told me to reset the APN but that didn't help.

The only thing that looks new on my phone is a recent app called Google Connectivity Service.

Other people at work on Tmo are not experiencing this issue but they are on Kit Kat still. I don't have this issue at home, I get full LTE there.

I have the same problem with sprint, they couldn't give me a solution either...

YankInDaSouth

Oct 30, 2010
Sharpsburg, GA
Been having signal issues as well lately (T-Mobile) and now that I think of it it's very closely timed to when that Google Connectivity app showed up! Just disabled it to see if I notice a difference

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Been having signal issues as well lately (T-Mobile) and now that I think of it it's very closely timed to when that Google Connectivity app showed up! Just disabled it to see if I notice a difference

I've disable mine and so far so good... but who knows. What version do you have? I see I have A.1.0.1, but on the play store I see an update for B.1.3.3. It doens't show up in my list of apps to update, but if I do a direct search, it shows up as an update.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Of course I had to just go and jinx it. It just got the problem again. But I did also reenable the app for a short while before disabling it again. Maybe it's related...

YankInDaSouth

Oct 30, 2010
Sharpsburg, GA
I've disable mine and so far so good... but who knows. What version do you have? I see I have A.1.0.1, but on the play store I see an update for B.1.3.3. It doens't show up in my list of apps to update, but if I do a direct search, it shows up as an update.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Of course I had to just go and jinx it. It just got the problem again. But I did also reenable the app for a short while before disabling it again. Maybe it's related...
Not sure if the version I was running assume that it was the latest, but it uninstalls updates before disabling ...

TheAmazingDave

Jun 20, 2011
San Jose
Seems like the affected users are on T-Mo. Have you gents considered tower maintenance/upgrades?

I'm on T-Mo as well. I've had a few similar instances over the last few months, but the problem resolves in the areas it's happened, and now the reception is better.

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Seems like the affected users are on T-Mo. Have you gents considered tower maintenance/upgrades?

I'm on T-Mo as well. I've had a few similar instances over the last few months, but the problem resolves in the areas it's happened, and now the reception is better.

For a whole week? It's defintely a signal strength issue, I just can't figure out why. The way the building I work in is laid out, there is a hallway along the edge, and I get great LTE there. then I walk into the room a few feet away from the window, and it's fine. Then I go behind my cube wall, and it starts to get weaker. Than as I move a few feet away from the wall, it drops to 3G.

Also, it looks like disabling Google Connectivity Services didn't do it for me. I had rebooted with it disabled and evenutally it still died.

jbdan

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta
Well that's weird, because sometimes I'll see 3G shown while data is active and I see differnet levels for 3G vs H on the icon. But it looks like I have a pretty strong H right now. Maybe I'll have good luck this afternoon.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I take it back. Sometimes the icon will get "stuck" and show a great signal but no connection.

Very odd. I've been having some weak LTE signal issues at home, but only at home. Wife's S6 stays connected to LTE -110dbm here while my N6 hunts and switches back and forth between 3G and LTE. Started happening about 2-3 weeks ago. I've been hoping it's T-Mobile, not my phone

midwestkel

Aug 23, 2007
I've had that happen as well.

Tried that and it didn't do anything for me.

Did it just start, or have you been having it for a while? Has anyone tried using the radio image from 5.0?
It just started this week for me. I've had 5.1 for over a month and haven't had this issue before Monday.

I've tried disabling the Google Connectivity Services (v B.1.3.3) app and that did nothing for me as well. I also switch my APN to IPv4/IPv6, it was on IPv6 only but it didn't make a difference. I also did a test by taking the phone to a location that I know has strong LTE while it have the ! icon and it would not reconnect to any network. I tried toggling airplane mode but it didn't refresh the cell/data radio either. After rebooting I had full LTE service.

I talked to Tmo reps and they didn't see any maintenance on the towers in my area but they opened a ticket for me.

It seems like something is bugging out while it jumps between LTE/4G/3G and then the radio crashes. At home it's solid LTE and I don't have any issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did anyone do this? Just questioning the validity, since its out of the blue.

I'm a Motorola Community Manager. Designated by XDA. I've been validated.

If you feel more comfortable you can give me your name on our community http://forums.motorola.com so long as you have your phone registered on our side of the fence or send me a to my Profile

Mark
    Motorola Support
    So over at Google product forums in the Nexus Help Forum section, there is a post called: Nexus 6 Data Connection Failure - Cross carrier, location and OS Version and here is an update which was sent today: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/7XqSg2bt8VM/THtP6s-2eAQJ
    Here is what it says:
    blurfocus said:
    In case it helps lower the frustration level due to no response and apparent lack of understanding by Google reps, the Project Fi team (at Google) has acknowledged this issue and claims to be actively investigating and working with partners to fix it. Also, they are aware that this problem is not limited to Project Fi. I have a trouble ticket on this issue that is still open. Hopefully, the Project Fi team will reach out to the rest of the mobile teams and work together on this.

This is an excerpt that was posted by a moderator to the Project Fi forum (open to those who are in the Project Fi trial).

"... Nexus 6 entering a state in which all functions -- including data, voice and messaging -- no longer work. In some cases, users report that their Nexus 6 seems to recover after rebooting, but functions stop working again after a short while.

We’re sorry for the disruption and inconvenience this is causing for folks, and the team is actively investigating and working with partners on a fix. We’ll update the community as soon as we're able."
    Thanks to everyone who repoted this issue on the thread I created over at Google Nexus forums. We got an official answer!

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/7XqSg2bt8VM/PdtR6lDiX9cJ

Thanks for the reports everyone. We are investigating this issue. I'll post back here if we'd like any additional data from the community.

As others have mentioned in this conversation, you can work around this by turning your phone off and then back on again. I know that's not ideal, but I want to be sure and mention it in case you find yourself in this state.

(I'm going to mark this post as a best answer to this question. Please don't take that as a sign that Google considers this issue fully resolved. Rather, it's the best way for this forum system to display an important update at the beginning of a thread, and I want to help ensure that any newcomers to this discussion see the latest update from me.)

Let's keep the pressure on though.
    Please report back on this, I'm really curious if the new build has any change.

I also upgraded to Android M yesterday, and it just happened to me this morning.

NOTE: At home, I am not seeing this issue. I am getting "!" only my work, since TMO is using the towers from AT&T and my works internet connection for their data (which AT&T is as well). So I already had crappy mobile data.
    They offered to let me get a new phone on EIP with a 30 day return, no restocking fee (the rep seemed to know that the Nexus phones are not the same as any other). At the end of the thirty days, I could either send the new phone back or send my N6 back and they'd wipe my N6 EIP (450ish dollars). Seems like a pretty good offer when it isn't really their issue. She also said that she would run up my info to her Google contact, and called back asking for more information so I'd like to think something is happening here. For now, I just sold my n6 and am going to use my n5 until this clears up. No use holding onto a device with a declining value when it will just sit in a drawer.