[Q] Lumia 800... fully discharged... now dead

Search This thread

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Rusty! Hmmmm sounds familiar. What version of firmware ? Did you update to the latest a couple of weeks ago?

Feels as though there's a bigger problem than just high battery drain with some devices.

Anyone from Nokia read this forum? ...And care to comment?

Yep, updated to 8107/15000 a couple of weeks ago (Zune, not NCS). Still dead, no amount of different chargers, button combinations, using a PC USB connection has helped me, it's utterly bricked.

Calling the local Nokia Care Point shortly...

Last edited:

piattj

Jan 28, 2010
Rusty, let us know what they say.

I took mine into T-Mobile. They plugged it into the in-store charger, looked at it for 3 minutes (if that...), gave up and packaged it up for return to Nokia. They didn't try any tricks with the buttons etc. , just sent it away & lent me an old 2330 or somesuch...

They said to expect it back in 7-10 days. Will report back.

piattj

Jan 28, 2010
Lumia 800 replaced

UPDATE. I took my 800 into T-Mobile. They confirmed the device was dead, sent it to Nokia. The short version is that they replaced my phone, sent me a new, replacement phone. I fully charged it & left it running. Battery life now looking strong. In 2 days, I've not been able to fully discharge it to test its powers of recovery but will do, and will post the results.

For info, the phone SW/FW/HW versions are now as this:

OS 7.108107.79
FW 1600 2483.8107.11501
HW 112.1402.2.3
Radio HW 8255
Bootloader 7.35.0.0

newabv

Feb 15, 2012
Last night I was out and my phone finished all battery an was for few hours switched off. I plugged and it start but just with a empty battery symbol on the display.
I was trying to switch it about 2 hours but nothing- just battery screen.
I left it all night and in the morning it was in the same situation but when I tried it turned on and start charging from 1%

Is it will be every time my phone loose all battery charge?
Is it normal?

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
If they die completely then they can take a white to fire back up again, all night ain't right though.

As a side note, mine is still with Nokia being repaired (I bet they replace it anyway) :(

Reactions: anseio

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
Last night I was out and my phone finished all battery an was for few hours switched off. I plugged and it start but just with a empty battery symbol on the display.
I left it all night and in the morning it was in the same situation but when I tried it turned on and start charging from 1%

Is it normal?

Every time you fully discharge the battery it will take some time to be able to turn it on again. You will see that empty battery symbol with a red line at the bottom. If you try to turn it on right after the discharge, you might have to wait for at least a few minutes before it powers on.

Yours was switched of for few hours after discharge. Which is not good for the battery. Hence it probably took longer for it to recover. Lithium batteriers should never be fully discharged because they can and will take damage from it eventually if done too often. There's built in protection though so they don't fully discharge but even so it's not good to let it run dry too often.

Reactions: newabv

piattj

Jan 28, 2010
I recommend that, if you have a £400 smartphone that dumps charge and you have to wait a long time for it to charge sufficiently from drained, then take it back & have them replace it. It ain't good enough. Which is a shame because the 800 is a lovely phone, Mango is an excellent OS & the build qual is nice.
I think that there may be more than one flaw with early 800s and I would suggest that if you're having problems, irritating battery behaviour etc, then take it back and ask for an exchange. They should do what T-Mobile did for me - send it for repair (more likely replacement) under warranty.

newabv

Feb 15, 2012
Thanks, I was thinking the same but it is good to hear from some other also.
Just one more: to avoid fully discharging, is it OK sometimes when I know that have to be out but do not have time to fully charge the phone, is it OK just to plug it for a while?

piattj

Jan 28, 2010
If they die completely then they can take a white to fire back up again, all night ain't right though.

As a side note, mine is still with Nokia being repaired (I bet they replace it anyway) :(

Rusty... I'm with T-Mobile. If you are (this may be true for other networks) - you can track the repair thru the Nokia process. I spotted at some stage that mine was flagged for 'replacement' so I knew that I'd get a new one...

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
I'm not 'with' anyone, my phone is/was a SIM free model.

However, I just discovered you can track repairs at Nokia directly :D

My phone's status is currently "product received, in repair"

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
Just one more: to avoid fully discharging, is it OK sometimes when I know that have to be out but do not have time to fully charge the phone, is it OK just to plug it for a while?

Yes.

Lithium batteries likes to be charged often. You really can't charge it too often. Charge whenever you like, as little or much you like. Charging for short amount of time is as good as a full charge. The battery is happy every time you put it in the charger.

For optimal performance, the charge should be kept around 80% I believe. You do not have to fully charge every time. But it's not very practical to do so and it will not suffer from full charge. But for the perfectionist the charge should be kept around 80% at most times. Main thing is not to let it fully dry out often.

Last edited:
Reactions: newabv

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
It's 8107/15001, h/w .3, which I'm pretty sure is the same as my old one.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

fiksik

Mar 7, 2012
Lumia 800 boot stops on operator's logo

Hi everyone. Yesterday I was charging my Lumia 800 from 0%. The phone was turned off. After a few minutes of charging it tried to boot. I saw the Vodafone logo (I bought it in England)
and I can see it now, but the phone doesn't boot. So it stops booting on this stage. I've tried soft and hard reset. Doesn't work.
Could someone help me?

bleargs

Mar 30, 2012
Hi everyone. Yesterday I was charging my Lumia 800 from 0%. The phone was turned off. After a few minutes of charging it tried to boot. I saw the Vodafone logo (I bought it in England)
and I can see it now, but the phone doesn't boot. So it stops booting on this stage. I've tried soft and hard reset. Doesn't work.
Could someone help me?

I'm having the same issue, anyone know a fix?

dannejanne

Mar 23, 2011
Norrköping, Sweden
Could someone help me?

Try leaving the phone for charge in the computer USB port for an hour or so. This has helped others that can't turn it on again after draining the battery empty and regular charging hasn't helped.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You might have hit this bug covered by anandtech: anandtech.com/show/5266/nokia-lumia-800-review-nokias-brave-new-foray-into-wp7/2

Sounds like they had to plug and unplug a few times to get it going.

Is it normal?

Every time you fully discharge the battery it will take some time to be able to turn it on again. You will see that empty battery symbol with a red line at the bottom. If you try to turn it on right after the discharge, you might have to wait for at least a few minutes before it powers on.

Yours was switched of for few hours after discharge. Which is not good for the battery. Hence it probably took longer for it to recover. Lithium batteriers should never be fully discharged because they can and will take damage from it eventually if done too often. There's built in protection though so they don't fully discharge but even so it's not good to let it run dry too often.

Yes.

Lithium batteries likes to be charged often. You really can't charge it too often. Charge whenever you like, as little or much you like. Charging for short amount of time is as good as a full charge. The battery is happy every time you put it in the charger.

For optimal performance, the charge should be kept around 80% I believe. You do not have to fully charge every time. But it's not very practical to do so and it will not suffer from full charge. But for the perfectionist the charge should be kept around 80% at most times. Main thing is not to let it fully dry out often.
    Everyone reporting 'dead L800' problems, I can only suggest you return them and, as I and others have experienced, get a replacement from Nokia.

Mine was replaced a few weeks ago and (particularly with the latest FW) the phone is fine, keeps charge well, lasts for 2-3 days+ without needing a charge.

I believe that the evidence points to a batch of early 800s with serious problems re battery that Nokia have now addressed. You've got a $500 smartphone, don't put up with a faulty $500 smartphone.