[Theme] 1st G1 theme [Discontinued]

Search This thread

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Before getting started I need to thank some people who have hlped me with this project or offered help to me. These people can be seen as contributors to this project, and I am grateful for their help.

Contributors:
JesusFreke (XDA)
Rogue7474, thanks for the help even though we never got it to work right. Hopefully we can continue to work together!
Coyote711

Also, before we get started, you will need root, and Jesusfreke's Mod rc30 installed(pref. v1.2), or RC8.

THIS COULD BRICK YOUR PHONE!

While I highly doubt it will, it still could!
If you are going to do this, I very highly URGE you to install the G1 engineering bootloader. With this installed, if something does go wrong, your phone is salvageable!

JesusFreke's Mod RC30 update V1.2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=443713
G1 Engineering bootloader: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=455860

One more thing! Let it be known that this update will wipe your phone! (This means all your apps, data, etc. will be gone and you will have to sign into your gmail account once more.) This has to happen to install the theme correctly!

However, after you have done this once, and providing you still have the theme installed, you will not have to wipe your phone for future updates, I will provide another update which will install updates to the theme and will not wipe your phone.

With all that said an done I can get rid of that bold font.

This is a very simple process thanks to Jesusfreke helping me understand how to make an update.zip file which will work with his mod rc30 update.

Simply download the file, place it on your sdcard, boot your phone into the recovery mode(power+home), and hit alt+S.

Once it says its done, reboot the phone and enjoy!

Let me know if you run into any problems at all!
Let me know what you want to see in the next release, be reasonable I'm not a master image maker, and android does some strange things to some images.
Let me know if something seems out of place, or wrong.

I will try to resolve all issues as quick as I can.

The non destructive updates are for those that already have the theme installed and wish to upgrade to the newest version.

The destructive updates are for those that have never before installed this theme. This update will wipe the phone as is required the first time this update is installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryanmo5

TheDudeOfLife

Jul 21, 2008
Chicago
thedudesandroid.com
Ok, well I applied it....

Here goes nothing.

US G1 running JF RC30 1.2 and dev bootloader.

I just backed up all my apps using astro too.

Welcome to T-Mobile G1... :D
See you in a minute.

I don't wanna get off topic here, but we need an all inclusive (how to back up your stuff) thread. Something that hits on Astro, My Backup, TXTract etc... and I need to pull up that thread about backing up your desktop layout and read that...(just can't remember which forum it was on...thing it was AC.com)

Thanks so much for doing this. I'm glad we finally got something different to look at. I'm glad someone is out there defending the pretty.
PS: FIRST!!!

Last edited:

nombatca

Dec 19, 2006
Before getting started I need to thank some people who have hlped me with this project or offered help to me. These people can be seen as contributors to this project, and I am grateful for their help.

Contributors:
JesusFreke
Rogue7474 (AndroidCommunity)
, thanks for the help even though we never got it to work right. Hopefully we can continue to work together!
Coyote711 (AndroidCommunity)

Also, before we get started, you will need root, and Jesusfreke's Mod rc30 installed(pref. v1.2)

If you are going to do this, I very highly URGE you to install the G1 engineering bootloader. With this installed, if something does go wrong, your phone is salvageable!

JesusFreke's Mod RC30 update V1.2:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=443713

One more thing! Let it be known that this update will wipe your phone! (This means all your apps, data, etc. will be gone and you will have to sign into your gmail account once more.) This has to happen to install the theme correctly!

However, after you have done this once, and providing you still have the theme installed, you will not have to wipe your phone for future updates, I will provide another update which will install updates to the theme and will not wipe your phone.

This is a very simple process thanks to Jesusfreke helping me understand how to make an update.zip file which will work with his mod rc30 update.

Simply download the file, place it on your sdcard, boot your phone into the recovery mode(power+home), and hit alt+S.

Let me know what you want to see in the next release, be reasonable I'm not a master image maker, and android does some strange things to some images.

Update.zip: http://fightforthepits.com/update.zip

Stericson
good job man:D keep continues

I7oobie

Jan 18, 2007
Looks good, except I'm having a bit of a problem. I don't have my browser icon. Kind of weird. So, thinking I could get to my browser by doing a search through the widget, "android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly." I'm going to flash Jesus's V1.2 back on, and then try this again. Will post back.

humble

Dec 17, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
WOW

this is remarkable!:eek: I haven't been here for a while. but that just gos to show that in time anything is possible. keep up the great work. will report if i catch any bugs. THANK YOU:)

bhang

Aug 19, 2006
megalopolis
very cool

But you'd think they would have made it easier to skin/theme, I mean what's the first thing most of us look for as soon as we get a new phone, myself its walls, themes and ringtones in that order and I don't think I'm that diferent than the average g1 owner, and the average g1 owner is very different than the average mobile user.

But everybody wants to personalize a new phone, that's why we don't all wear the same clothes...

To the OP, thanks for all this hard work you have given to the community.

Bhang

lazee_smurf

Oct 28, 2008
See I knew it. I always had my faith in the awsome ppl here @ XDA-Developers.com. Just can't wait to see what's in store for the future, I know it will be more things to come that'll make you wish we never should of doubted the G1 and Android. Keep up the g00d work guys

I7oobie

Jan 18, 2007
Looks good, except I'm having a bit of a problem. I don't have my browser icon. Kind of weird. So, thinking I could get to my browser by doing a search through the widget, "android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly." I'm going to flash Jesus's V1.2 back on, and then try this again. Will post back.

Got it to work. Looks great! Except i now have to re-enable my browser Auto-Rotate. No biggy though, great work!

Jul 4, 2005
I've had a small amount of trouble with this, although I'm not convinced 100% that it's at fault.
I've attempted to install this on my uk t-mobile g1 and it seemed to flash ok, however I couldn't get past the sign up screen as it force closed before completing. I re-flashed back to my original modded TC5-RC8 and the problem persisted until I then forced a hard reset ALT-W in the bootloader.

On my second attempt (I know I'm an optimist) I just got a hang on the g1 splash screen (Which I managed to recover via adb). I'm thinking it's related to my being on TC5-RC8 as opposed to RC30.

Any ideas, or has anyone else had more luck with TC5-R8?

afbcamaro

Dec 23, 2006
All the apps for the base rom have to be resigned separately /system/app. So if you use the UK rom some apks will not be signed and cause a looping android or crashes. I had actually done this to the UK rom(skinning) but I am a mediocre image manipulator so i just changed hues.

This will work with with RC30 JF image. not the uk. If its needed I can remake his work with his permission for the UK rom.

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
To All:

About Koush's auto rotate browser, if you replace the browser in that update with his, one of the status bar images will change I believe, no biggy, you will just need to replace it the image if you like. I may do this then post his auto rotate browser.

Thirdly for those missing icons, it is likely maybye something did not get copied. If this is the case, and you are missing programs, please let me know which one as I can send them to you and you can manually push them to your phone without having to do another wipe.

Bhang: Google made this really difficult.....I agree you would think that themes would have been a first to settle....SHRUG

EDIT: afbcamaro, Thanks so much for taking the time and doing this. With the rc8 update does everything look the same?

Stericson

Last edited:

I7oobie

Jan 18, 2007
To All:

About Koush's auto rotate browser, if you replace the browser in that update with his, one of the status bar images will change I believe, no biggy, you will just need to replace it the image if you like. I may do this then post his auto rotate browser.

Thirdly for those missing icons, it is likely maybye something did not get copied. If this is the case, and you are missing programs, please let me know which one as I can send them to you and you can manually push them to your phone without having to do another wipe.

Bhang: Google made this really difficult.....I agree you would think that themes would have been a first to settle....SHRUG

EDIT: afbcamaro, Thanks so much for taking the time and doing this. With the rc8 update does everything look the same?

Stericson

When I go to do the auto-rotate browser, there is no room left. Oh well.

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
To push file to the dir /system NEVER do it while the phone is on, running normally. You need to boot into recovery mode and push it from there.

when you get into recovery mode you will need to type the following to mount /system

adb shell mount /system
adb push /whereveryoufileis/Browser.apk /system/app

This will eliminate the problem you are having.

Stericson

humble

Dec 17, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
i found a bug

Everythings good. But I found something. When you make a folder and open it the res is off
Hope you can fix this its not a biggie but I told you I would report any bugs. Thanks again

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
So when you make a folder in the file manager or what? You have to be specific as to what program you were using, etc. I have to know exactly what your looking at....maybe you can take a screen shot?

Stericson

pershoot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2008
nice work stericson!

some things i noticed:
-opening a folder (shortcut) on the desktop. label is not displayed, and folder contents are not superimposed enough when its in the foreground.
-can't see the highlight when pressing an entry (inbox, sent, etc.) in the gmail app.

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
Ok. first, thanks for reporting back.

What do you mean the label isn't displayed? I put items on my desktop and I can see all of theie labels. I am also not catching what you are trying to tell me about the folder contents not being superimposed enough when in the foreground, maybe a screenshot would help.

Also the highlight, when pressing an email, etc should turn a bright white, as it does for me, does it do this for you? Also, what suggestions would you have for the colors or solutions to these problems?

Stericson

hbguy

Jul 17, 2007
Huntington Beach
Ok, well I applied it....

Here goes nothing.

US G1 running JF RC30 1.2 and dev bootloader.

I just backed up all my apps using astro too.

Welcome to T-Mobile G1... :D
See you in a minute.

I don't wanna get off topic here, but we need an all inclusive (how to back up your stuff) thread. Something that hits on Astro, My Backup, TXTract etc... and I need to pull up that thread about backing up your desktop layout and read that...(just can't remember which forum it was on...thing it was AC.com)

Thanks so much for doing this. I'm glad we finally got something different to look at. I'm glad someone is out there defending the pretty.
PS: FIRST!!!

I agree with thedudeoflife. I didn't even know you could save apps on sd card? (wtf? really?) I think a how to back up stuff before a wipe out would be great!!! :)

P.S. you want to start a thread thedudeoflife since you brought up such a good point?? pretty please haha?

hbguy

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Contributors:
    JesusFreke (XDA)
    Rogue7474, thanks for the help even though we never got it to work right. Hopefully we can continue to work together!
    Coyote711

Also, before we get started, you will need root, and Jesusfreke's Mod rc30 installed(pref. v1.2), or RC8.

JesusFreke's Mod RC30 update V1.2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=443713

The non destructive updates are for those that already have the theme installed and wish to upgrade to the newest version.

The destructive updates are for those that have never before installed this theme. This update will wipe the phone as is required the first time this update is installed.