Sprint Galaxy S3 FAQ updated 5/27/2013

Search This thread

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Re: Sprint GS3 FAQ [WIP]

Well you are doing a wonderful job and we hope to see you often in the Kernelizer thread. If its okay by Gman you can be a part of Team Kernelizers itself too. You organize very well and I hope to see this thread flourish.

mw86.png

I appreciate that, and as I said, I'm willing to help out however and wherever I can...

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

Reactions: mw86

galaxys3man30

Oct 6, 2012
tallahassee,fl

I appreciate that, and as I said, I'm willing to help out however and wherever I can...

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

I agree totally agree you do whatever you can to help anyone out flastnoles11 you always be part of team buddy and I'm trying to earn my RC title as well

President of {Team Kernelizers}
Im Gman and I approve this message
galaxys3man30.png

Reactions: flastnoles11

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro

I agree totally agree you do whatever you can to help anyone out flastnoles11 you always be part of team buddy and I'm trying to earn my RC title as well

President of {Team Kernelizers}
Im Gman and I approve this message
galaxys3man30.png

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll earn it in no time.... when you feel you're ready, let me know and i will givemy recommendation for you to the mod in charge of "hiring" rc's :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

Dalek_Caan

Aug 19, 2008
Cateret, NJ
very nice job here . I will add it into my sig for sure in hopes it helps someone .Maybe in the "Never Ask" part a note about the always bad "hey dev , when is the new version going to be ready for download?" " I am waiting patiently" .. and all other variations of an ETA

also not to nit pick but small typo in Q9 ,, where it says ... do nobody can tell you which Rom/Kernel .. thinks it should be so not do :good:

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro

very nice job here . I will add it into my sig for sure in hopes it helps someone .Maybe in the "Never Ask" part a note about the always bad "hey dev , when is the new version going to be ready for download?" " I am waiting patiently" .. and all other variations of an ETA

also not to nit pick but small typo in Q9 ,, where it says ... do nobody can tell you which Rom/Kernel .. thinks it should be so not do :good:

noticed that this morning and changed, also, excellent suggestion! I will add that in, in some variant! Thank you

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 FAQ [WIP]

Does everyone think it would be better for me to link to the thread for the modems or to actually post them here? I'm thinking a link to the thread would be better so that I'm not taking credit or thanks away from the person who has the directions and modems already posted... Please advise

Edit- for now I have linked to the thread with some of the modems, have to find the rest later

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

Last edited:

swiggs98

Aug 7, 2012
Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 FAQ [WIP] updated 2/19

Recommended adds for your consideration...

Can I flash the baseband/modem/firmware with any ROM?

Custom recovery overview and links (cwm vs. Twrp).

Method to update prl without flashing back to tw. Also how to enable baseband diagnostic mode. How to acquire MSL.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25470797

How to backup IMEI?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30682712

Some flashes randomly screw up activation majorly. How to recover... Flash to tw and reactivate.

Handy reference...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26884853

Last edited:

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro

Recommended adds for your consideration...

Can I flash the baseband/modem/firmware with any ROM?

Custom recovery overview and links (cwm vs. Twrp).

Method to update prl without flashing back to tw. Also how to enable baseband diagnostic mode. How to acquire MSL.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25470797

How to backup IMEI?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30682712

Some flashes randomly screw up activation majorly. How to recover... Flash to tw and reactivate.

Handy reference...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26884853

Very nice find in these, I will get these added to the FAQ tomorrow morning, thanks for the help! :thumbup:

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

swiggs98

Aug 7, 2012

Here's one of my favorite mods... How to enable multi user. Also recommend Appshare+ to enable app sharing between users.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37146983

I also meant to give you the Twrp d2spr link... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29640195

Btw, if you prefer I PM you with any additional ideas rather than clutter your thread, just let me know.

I grew up a Seminoles fan being just 30 minutes away in Thomasville, GA!

Last edited:

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro

Here's one of my favorite mods... How to enable multi user. Also recommend Appshare+ to enable app sharing between users.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37146983

I also meant to give you the Twrp d2spr link... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29640195

Btw, if you prefer I PM you with any additional ideas rather than clutter your thread, just let me know.

I grew up a Seminoles fan being just 30 minutes away in Thomasville, GA!

Pm would be better so e aren't giving Kenny too much work since the posts will be deleted and the thread will be locked one it's completed... multi user is a good one, this is going to be more of a FAQ thing than a general thing though... multi user I can throw in mods though, but things like apps I will not include, keep them coming, you have given excellent suggestions so far... I appreciate all the help you've given so far, I will make sure to mention you in the op once this FAQ is done!

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

Last edited:
Reactions: swiggs98

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 FAQ [WIP] updated 2/20/2013

Isn't that just wide right of there. :D

Transmitted with a portable device using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 FAQ [WIP] updated 2/20/2013

Maybe for roms that are ported from different carriers. That's a must XD!

I will have a Rom list for every Rom found on xda, that includes ported roms ;) work on this is going on hold for a few days while I take care of my wife until she is allowed to be in her feet again though...

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

Reactions: tazfanatic and mw86

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Re: Sprint Galaxy S3 FAQ [WIP] updated 2/21/2013

How about a section for what tweaks are available? Team Kernelizers thread, etc...

Thanks for the suggestion, most of the tweaks/mods will be found in the mods theme section, I am thinking of posting links to their thread along with the kernel thread for ktoonz kernel as a "support thread" since it basically is... worik have to speak with g man about this first.. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sprint GS3 FAQ THREAD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2] Sprint Galaxy S3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I root the Sprint galaxy s3?[/SIZE]
    All things root can be found in the link below, including all files (including the drivers) you will need and a step by step video! Make sure to visit the sticky in development and thank qbking77 for his root thread (this method works with 4.1.1 and 4.1.2)

ROOTING GUIDE WITH VIDEO

[SIZE=+1]Q2: I have bricked my device/my phone won't boot, what is the best way to fix it? (Use the Odin method for bringing your phone back to unrooted stock to bring in for repair)[/SIZE]
    First, if you can get into recovery or download mode, you are not bricked, just sponged! If you can get into recovery, download and transfer a rom to your sd card and flash in recovery. If You can get into download mode you will need a stock .tar and Odin to "unbrick". The easiest way is to follow the link below for qbking77 guide on how to unroot/unbrick. Again, make sure you go to development and thank qbking77
    unroot/unbricking guide with files and how to video

[SIZE=+1]Q3: What is a custom recovery?[/SIZE]
    A custom recovery takes the place of Samsung's stock recovery once you root your phone. There are two custom recoveries (team win recovery project), The other is CWMR (ClockworkMod Recovery). When choosing which recovery to use, read the ROM/kernel op that you want to flash, most of the time they will tell you which recovery is sorted for their project. In most cases both recoveries work just fine, so ultimately the choice is up to you, but if you decide to go with a recovery that the developer did not recommend, you still not receive support within that developers thread!
    Link to Both custom recoveries and stock recovery can be found here

[SIZE=+1]Q4: What is the best/most stable Rom/Kernel (question that should never be asked)[/SIZE]
    This is simple, there is no best/most stable Rom/Kernel for this device! They are all excellent and the devs have spent countless hours trying to perfect them all. The only way to decide what is best/most stable for you is to try them all out until you find one that suits your needs. In post #2 and 3 of this thread I have included links to all Roms and kernels on xda! Happy flashing!​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: Which Rom/Kernel will give me the best performance/battery life (this is another question that should never EVER be asked)?[/SIZE]
    Please don't ever ask this in the forum, there is no best. Things like battery life and performance largely depend on the end users interaction with the phone. No two people use their phone in exactly the same way, so nobody can tell you which Rom/Kernel will work best for your needs. Many things affect battery life, including but not limited to, what and how often you sync things, signal, apps installed, widgets running, just to name a few. This is largely an opinion and for every 50 answers you receive you're likely to receive at least 30 different answers, so please, just don't ask it, it's a waste of everyone's time, including yours because you still never receive a straight answer​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: What is the proper way to install a Rom?[/SIZE]
    In almost every case the proper instructions for flashing a custom Rom will be posted in the Rom threads 1st post. Some roms will say dirty flashing is fine, I avoid this to minimize problems. Download Rom, transfer to external storage (sd card). Boot into recovery, factory reset (which wipes data and cache) and wipe dalvik cache. Go to install, find the Rom you've downloaded and flash. Please remember that if you choose to format data (you'll see this option in twrp (completely unnecessary in most situations) ) will erase things on your internal memory, so make sure your music, photos, backups, and everything else important is on your external storage! DO NOT POST BUG REPORTS IF YOU HAVE DONE A DIRTY FLASH, start clean and if the bug persists after a clean flash then you may report the bug. Be prepared to provide a log cat and to be able to explain how to reproduce said bug if necessary (log cats explained later in this FAQ) just to clarify, factory reset and wrong dalvik cache is what's necessary for a clean install of a Rom!​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: What is ADB and how do I use it?[/SIZE]
    Please see this thread for everything ADB
    FULL ADB GUIDE

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to do a logcat from ADB and what the heck is a logcat?[/SIZE]
    For setting up ADB see Q7!
    logcat allows us to log what the OS is doing, and possibly delve information for when things are not working
    its quite simple Reading it is another.

To use logcat

Code:
    adb shell
    logcat

To logcat to a certain file do

Code:
    adb shell
    logcat -d > /sdcard/whatevertextfileyoulike.txt
    Obviously using the name of a text file of your choice, not "whatever text file you like"

For further explanation follow the link in Q6​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: Is there an app that will help me pull a logcat from the phone?[/SIZE]
    Actually, yes, there is... but it does have its limitations, if you're stuck in a bootloop, the app will do you no good, you will have to use ADB for this, but if you're data is not connecting on a certain Rom, or something similar within the already booted OS this app can be rather handy and simpler for those who don't understand ADB. Link for app below
    ALOGCAT APP

[SIZE=+1]Q10: Can I flash any modem on any ROM or do the versions have to match?[/SIZE]
    Modems/basebands are completely independent of the roms, so you can run any modem on any ROM! (They do have to be for the device you are using though)​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: Method to update prl without flashing back to a TOUCHWIZ ROM. Also how to enable baseband diagnostic mode. How to acquire MSL. (Not yet working on 3.4 kernels, which includes most updated aosp roms) [/SIZE]
    Despite the common misconception that you have all probably heard, you have to be on a TOUCHWIZ ROM to update your prl, that is actually not true. The thread linked below will explain how and will also show you how to aquire your MSL and how to enable baseband diagnostics mode
    See this thread for everything above

[SIZE=+1]Q12: How do I backup my IMEI and do I have to do it?[/SIZE]
    The thread linked below will explain everything IMEI, along with how and why you should do it!
    click here for all the needed info

[SIZE=+1]Q13: I have seen better battery stats (BBS for short) mentioned everywhere, what is this and why do I need it?[/SIZE]
    BBS is an app made by an awesome XDA member that will help you identify what is keeping your phone from entering deep sleep (or wakelocks, which are explained below)
    Thread for BBS

[SIZE=+1]Q14: What is a wakelock and how do I get rid of them?[/SIZE]
    This is the most involved and comprehensive guide I have ever seen on XDA involving wakelocks, if you're having problems with wakelocks, please go here and read posts 1-3 it will help you tremendously! Make sure you thank this guy as he obviously spent tons of time on this guide
    T.J. BENDERS FULL GUIDE TO WAKELOCKS

[SIZE=+1]Q15:I'm sure I'm following all the guides correctly, why does Odin still fail on me?[/SIZE]
    The most common explanation for this is your data cable! Always, I repeat ALWAYS use a heavy duty data cable when Odin is at use. BlackBerry cables seen to be the most popular to use among Odin users and are very cheap online, save yourself some headaches and frustration in the future and pick one up!​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: I am rooted and just received an OTA update message, should I accept it and if I do will I lose root?[/SIZE]
    Cnexus has wrote a great FAQ for all things OTA please read his FAQ for everything you need to know Cnexus OTA FAQ To kill the update notification for good you can also refer to this thread how to stop the update notification by Galaxys3man30

[SIZE=+1]Q17:Is there a reference somewhere to explain all the different kernel governors and I/O schedulers?[/SIZE]
    why, yes, yes there is! This is the best reference that I have found on xda Governors, I/O Schedulers and more reference

[SIZE=+1]Q18:??????..............................................[/SIZE]
    Replace this block of text with a short answer for the above question. If the answer is complicated or otherwise lengthy, avoid the temptation to provide a full answer here. If the answer is truly that involved, this should be answered in another thread outside of this document. The answer then should provide a brief summary or overview and direct the reader to the document providing a full coverage of the topic​

*​

Special thanks to these guys for helping through the process of creating this thread! If not for them this would be half of what it is, go find a post of theirs and hit that thanks button please!
    Tazfanatic
    Mw86
    Rompnit
    CNexus
    Kennyglass123 (big thanks, you know why;) )
    GalaxyS3Man30
    Swiggs98
    Adamdelozier
    Edfunkycold
    Orlzzt
    And last but certainly not least, every Rom and kernel developer, including the awesome members who made all of these mods available to us!

Re: Sprint GS3 FAQ [WIP] (place holder)

PRLs and PRL info

PRLs and info

RADIOS aka MODEMS

LJ7, LI3, LG8, LG2, LEN, LF9 radios found here

MA6 radio, just download and flash in recovery

MB1 radio, just download and flash in recovery

If you see anything I may have missed, please bring it to my attention! I would love for this thread to be a one stop shop, from all the questions that one may have, to every Rom found for this phone and so on. (xda roms/kernels only) I will do my best to keep everything here as to to date as possible

Please don't be afraid to pm me with suggestions, and I love constructive criticism! Thank you to the whole Sprint galaxy S3 community, the best community on xda!