[Q] Proximity sensor

Search This thread

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
Hey guys. I have looked around and can find no info on some of the tabs sensors. From what i understand the chipset is straight out of the galaxy s phones, which is the reason i see the existence of a proximity sensor but dont see any data from it.

Anyone have a clue whether it actually exists?

triplex76

May 25, 2008
chipset and sensors are different things....even if the chipset supports a certain type of sensor doesn't mean it should be there if there is no need to be there.
galaxy tab doesn't need a proxy sensor cause you are not going to put it beside your face when calling...

lambstone

Mar 27, 2008
Huawei P20 Pro
Redmi K20 Pro
chipset and sensors are different things....even if the chipset supports a certain type of sensor doesn't mean it should be there if there is no need to be there.
galaxy tab doesn't need a proxy sensor cause you are not going to put it beside your face when calling...

Doesn't need and doesn't have are different things. Point is, if it was stated that the tab has a proximity sensor, where is it?

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Thanks mate, that's what you said in the last thread back in October, but why do all the sensor pingers see it? Are they checking code rather than hardware?

Also, is there a working, sensitive light meter anywhere for the tabs ambient light sensor? The couple I've tried refuse to work...

Technomancer

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
There is working light sensor in the Tab. Both my CM7 and Samsung ROMs support it just fine. It has range from 0 to 6000 Lux snapped to one of several levels in the kernel driver. You can actually read it from sys interface.

The proximity sensor in my CM7 sensors driver is just software reporting constant 10cm to the system. The sensors test apps in my CM7 (I uses Sensor Test and Plot http://www.appbrain.com/app/sensor-test-and-plot/com.golborne.android.SensorTest) just reports 10cm from my fake sensor.

I think there is some leftover code in Samsungs sensors driver that may report presence of proximity sensor.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Yep, i use it as well, but my issue is with the three avaliable states the driver seems to report.

I get 5, 22 and 75. Are there only three levels then? And no way to modify them outside the kernel?

Technomancer

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
I can get up to 6000lux using strong LED flashlight directly on the sensor.
There is another sys device that can read unprocessed data that has values not snapped to 5,22,75 etc... but Samsung's driver uses the snapped device (and so is mine).

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
This is very annoying... im trying to make an app that needs a proximity sensor to work as intended so the light sensor as well as the sleep mode implementation are really no substitute.

In any case, im sure it will be quite usefull for all tablet owners running 2.2 and up and using a case. I will have a closed beta for xda members by the end of the day, so people can test it over the weekend.

Would you like a shot, mancer?

triplex76

May 25, 2008
I don't know what would you do but if I understand why not to use the g-sensor ... just like in samsung omnia...put backwards enable silent courtesy mode.

hoss_n2

the proximity sensor will be useful if you use the leather case to close the screen when touches the screen , like ipad 2 and galaxy tab 10.1 V they have proximity sensors , but i noticed that the sensor exists using sensor applications they see it exists but not giving readings

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Hi - there is no sensor, the sensor list showing it is just a glitch from the galaxy s motherboards. And the functionality youre describing is already available in my app Killswitch - you can get both the lite and full version from my signature...

hoss_n2

Hi - there is no sensor, the sensor list showing it is just a glitch from the galaxy s motherboards. And the functionality youre describing is already available in my app Killswitch - you can get both the lite and full version from my signature...

Thanks I already bought it from market and it's great

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA App

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Great! Im working on an update that will help improve the accuracy of the light sensor functions... been getting some flack for not updating it :(

Watch this space!

Reactions: hoss_n2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no proximity sensor in Galaxy Tab.
    My CM7 sensors driver pretends there is one and reports 10CM distance so the Phone app behaves better.
    Great! Im working on an update that will help improve the accuracy of the light sensor functions... been getting some flack for not updating it :(

Watch this space!